Review: 2020 iPad Pro is more about future software than the hardware gains today

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Why not? They are obliged by the rules of capitalism to make as much money as possible, otherwise shareholders can sue them.
    Ummm... No.
  • Reply 22 of 28
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    If I would have known that the processor wasn't a big bump over the A12X then I probably wouldn't have pulled the cord and gotten this one. On the other hand I was in isolation and just wanted a new Apple device to make me happy. Also the big 6 gig RAM allotment allows for more layers in Procreate which was really the major limitation that I was running into with my 9.7 inch Pro. So in the end it's a good upgrade. Part of me still wishes I'd gotten the 2018 model since I'd have had a newer beefier iPad Pro for longer and I doubt that Apple is going to support this model any longer than they support the 2018 model. But whatever... it's fine.
    You'll be happy with it, especially if you get the Pencil 2.
  • Reply 23 of 28
    tht said:
    Most likely this iPad Pro will stick around at a lower price point come with fall when the mini-LED model is released.

Surely they can't be so insanely greedy to think mini-LED will be another higher tier beyond the already ridiculously priced iPad Pro.
    You are setting yourself up for disappointment. Expect a miniLED iPad Pro to be $1300 for the base model, especially if it has an A14X.
    Based on what, exactly? You think Apple is gonna try to get $500 extra for a better display backlighting system? That's crazy.
  • Reply 24 of 28
    thttht Posts: 5,452member
    tht said:
    Most likely this iPad Pro will stick around at a lower price point come with fall when the mini-LED model is released.

Surely they can't be so insanely greedy to think mini-LED will be another higher tier beyond the already ridiculously priced iPad Pro.
    You are setting yourself up for disappointment. Expect a miniLED iPad Pro to be $1300 for the base model, especially if it has an A14X.
    Based on what, exactly? You think Apple is gonna try to get $500 extra for a better display backlighting system? That's crazy.
    Was thinking of the 12.9 model with A14X and 8 GB RAM. There wouldn't be an 11" model with miniLED.

• Reply 25 of 28
    tht said:
    tht said:

Was thinking of the 12.9 model with A14X and 8 GB RAM. There wouldn't be an 11" model with miniLED.

Still don't follow why you think miniLED would be limited to some high end option only. That doesn't make any sense to me.
  • Reply 26 of 28
    thttht Posts: 5,452member
    tht said:
    tht said:

Still don't follow why you think miniLED would be limited to some high end option only. That doesn't make any sense to me.
    Well, miniLED is a new display tech, will be more expensive, Apple just updated the iPad Pros. Therefore, a miniLED iPad will occupy a new price tier, kind of like the iPhone X did in 2017. So one miniLED model at $1300. Would make more sense if it was the 12.9.
  • Reply 27 of 28
    tht said:
    tht said:
    tht said:

Well, miniLED is a new display tech, will be more expensive, Apple just updated the iPad Pros. Therefore, a miniLED iPad will occupy a new price tier, kind of like the iPhone X did in 2017. So one miniLED model at $1300. Would make more sense if it was the 12.9.
    It's a different backlighting tech, not so much for the LCD itself. I wouldn't assume that a new backlighting technique would warrant a different price tier, especially because it's not a particularly obvious feature to the outside observer, even if it is an improvement.
  • Reply 28 of 28
    Got the new iPP 12.9 and I love it. I had the 1st Gen iPP 12.9 and it wasn't what I had hoped it would be. It was just too big for "normal" iPad usage and turned out to be rather useless as a laptop kind of device. I got the 2018 11" iPP eventually but found it to be a little too small. So, I gave that to my son who's going to college and got the new 12.9 and I finally feel like it's where I want it to be as soon as the Magic Keyboard becomes available. I can easily envision this becoming my main mobile device and keep my 2018 MBP 15 in my home office most of the time.