iPhone location data used by US government to track coronavirus spread

Posted:
in General Discussion
The US government is allegedly attempting to track the coronavirus pandemic by taking advantage of geolocation data generated by online advertising shown on iPhones and other smartphones, intending to learn how the virus is spreading throughout the country.

On Wednesday, it was announced a collection of mobile carriers in Europe will share customer location data with the European Commission to monitor the spread of the coronavirus. On Saturday, a report surfaced suggesting a similar program is being carried out in the United States, but in a slightly different manner.

According to the Wall Street Journal, several government officials have acquired the location data for millions of smartphones and mobile devices across the country. Sources claim the federal government, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and state and local governments are receiving reports about the presence and movement of mobile phone users in specific areas of interest.

It is unclear if the effort is linked to a March 17 report about the US government discussing the use of location data sourced from Google and Facebook for similar efforts. In that instance, there was the suggestion of anonymized location data being handed over to map the spread of the outbreak, allowing experts to understand patterns of people's movements and to predict probable hotspots for viral activity.

Rather than being sourced from the carriers directly, as with the European program, the US version acquires its data from mobile advertising trackers. An area that Apple and privacy advocates have fought against, the tracking usually allows a marketer to determine where customers physically go to, which can allow for regionalized targeted advertising campaigns to run, as well as to monitor a campaign's effectiveness.

The data is said to be anonymized, meaning the location data will be able to show where someone travels, but not their identity. Such anonymous and aggregated data is useful in showing general trends, without revealing an individual's specific movements or motives.

It is suggested the project is aiming to collect data for as many as 500 US cities, including which retailers and public places are still being visited by large numbers of people, making them a breeding ground for virus transmission. Some researchers are already discovering areas like Brooklyn's Prospect Park that still draw crowds.

The same data may also be able to help assist in monitoring the economic impact of the pandemic, showing reduced retail visits and vehicle journeys, among other metrics.

The use of advertising-derived location tracking data has led some privacy advocates to suggest the industry was using the coronavirus to try and make the privacy infringement technology more acceptable to regular users.

Privacy researcher Wolfie Christl admits there are some advantages to using aggregated data in this way, "even if the data is being gathered secretly or illegally by companies," but warns there are still risks. "As true anonymization of location data is nearly impossible, strong legal safeguards are mandatory," Christl urges, due to the possibility of combining the data with other information to identify and track specific people.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    WgkruegerWgkrueger Posts: 352member
    I’ve always assumed the carriers have that data irrespective of other software location gathering so why use this rather obtuse method?
    magman1979
  • Reply 2 of 26
    Wgkrueger said:
    I’ve always assumed the carriers have that data irrespective of other software location gathering so why use this rather obtuse method?
    i was thinking the same. Isn’t that how cell phones always worked? 

• Reply 3 of 26
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    I'm not clear how this gives any virus-specific info...in which case, it just seems like another attempted excuse to be given access to our phones.
    TacoMan7300cornchipmike1urahara
  • Reply 4 of 26
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    I guess just assume if they can, they will. And, I'm sure it is *all of the above* in terms of the things the article talks about (some might be legit, but they are also going to take this opportunity to expand their tracking 'rights'). But, I think most of us know this kind of things has been going on anyway.

Wgkrueger said:
    Yeah, but this probably contains additional information besides just time/location.

boredumb said:
    I'm not clear how this gives any virus-specific info...in which case, it just seems like another attempted excuse to be given access to our phones.
    They probably don't have any virus-related info, unless the anonymous aspect has been breached (which it very well may be). But, they can track traffic patterns, and especially analyze them around sites where they know an infection has taken place.
    cornchipStrangeDays
  • Reply 5 of 26
    h2ph2p Posts: 335member
    "...public places are still being visited by large numbers of people, making them a breeding ground for virus transmission. Some researchers are already discovering areas like Brooklyn's Prospect Park that still draw crowds."
    Twitter post/video from Tectonix GEO about using cell phone data to illustrate "the true potential impact of ignoring social distancing..."

(as of Mar 24, 2020 at 8:44pm)

• Reply 6 of 26
    seanismorrisseanismorris Posts: 1,624member
    The data isn’t that useful besides determining who’s not practicing social distancing.

Now if you actually knew which people had been infected (but pronounced recovered) and knew their cell phone number.  Then, you might be able to determine if the virus is able to go temporary dormant (undetectable) but the people still be infectious.

In China (etc) some people have been pronounced infected, clean, and infected again.  Was the virus just dormant before making a resurgence?  Or, are people are getting infected all over again.

I don’t know which is worse.  When you get sick and recover, you should build up antibodies that prevent reinfection.  If that protection only lasts a few weeks... that would be bad, really bad.  

In some other countries their governments continue to tract people that were infected using cell phones.  The US’s anonymous data collection is almost useless by comparison.

Seems like our government should just ask.  They could ask people to install an news App where you can enter symptoms if your sick, and get people to enter additional data like “has a doctor confirmed COVID-19”?  They could also have qualified people call to get more information.  And, if necessary get a test done in person.

If the App provided localized data, virus tracking, quarantine information, recommendations on what to do if you’re sick, if schools are closed, businesses that are open, those that deliver, etc.  it would see a lot of usage.  And, the user data would be useful!

What most people are getting now is a President saying it will be business as usual real soon.  That he’s not sure closing businesses is a good idea.  Then, he’s ordering GM to make ventilators, and considering putting multiple states under quarantine.  Talk about mixed messages...

cornchip
  • Reply 7 of 26
    georgie01georgie01 Posts: 437member
    I’m usually against tracking people, but this seems reasonable to take advantage of. It’s funny to me that many people are so desperate to complain about how Trump did this or that but by far the biggest problem is the population. If we had simply had more self discipline and concern for others things would have been under control weeks ago. A couple of days ago I saw groups of people playing basketball and tennis at a closed park (not husband/wife duos or parent/child)—that underlying mindset is why the virus is still on the rise in the US. If the government is using anonymous user data to track the irresponsible movement of people simply to understand the virus’ movement better, that’s just for health education and I’m fine with it.
    edited March 2020 h2p
  • Reply 8 of 26
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    For the health and well being of America and Americans they need to start tracking seriously.

Step#1:   Massive community testing
    Step#2:   Track the whereabouts & contacts of every infected person and test those they were in contact with.

(We also have to get PPE out to the community -- masks, gloves and antibacterial wipes and solutions so those in the public can protect themselves)

Until we start that we will have more of what we have now.

The models are China, S Korea and others who have stopped the virus in its tracks. 
    We know what needs to be done.   But will we do it?
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 9 of 26
    georgie01 said:
    I’m usually against tracking people, but this seems reasonable to take advantage of. It’s funny to me that many people are so desperate to complain about how Trump did this or that but by far the biggest problem is the population. If we had simply had more self discipline and concern for others things would have been under control weeks ago. A couple of days ago I saw groups of people playing basketball and tennis at a closed park (not husband/wife duos or parent/child)—that underlying mindset is why the virus is still on the rise in the US. If the government is using anonymous user data to track the irresponsible movement of people simply to understand the virus’ movement better, that’s just for health education and I’m fine with it.

A major part of what you see as the problem was caused by Trump and his repeated minimization / marginalization of the danger of this virus.  Until it was running out of control he was telling the American public not to worry about a thing.  In fact, even today with over 100,000 infected, many continue to think its all a Democratic hoax to make the Fiddler in Chief look bad.   Nobody has to do that for him.  It's the one thing he's good at.
    indieshackStrangeDays
  • Reply 10 of 26
    While the use is maybe justified just for now, the obvious danger is that this will be normalised. Turn off your cellular connection and use a VPN for data over wifi should suitably protect you? But we shouldn’t be forced to do stuff like that to stop the state tracking us. 
    cornchipmike1cgWerks
  • Reply 11 of 26
    GG1GG1 Posts: 483member
    The data isn’t that useful besides determining who’s not practicing social distancing.

Now if you actually knew which people had been infected (but pronounced recovered) and knew their cell phone number.  Then, you might be able to determine if the virus is able to go temporary dormant (undetectable) but the people still be infectious.

In China (etc) some people have been pronounced infected, clean, and infected again.  Was the virus just dormant before making a resurgence?  Or, are people are getting infected all over again.

I don’t know which is worse.  When you get sick and recover, you should build up antibodies that prevent reinfection.  If that protection only lasts a few weeks... that would be bad, really bad.  

In some other countries their governments continue to tract people that were infected using cell phones.  The US’s anonymous data collection is almost useless by comparison.

Seems like our government should just ask.  They could ask people to install an news App where you can enter symptoms if your sick, and get people to enter additional data like “has a doctor confirmed COVID-19”?  They could also have qualified people call to get more information.  And, if necessary get a test done in person.

If the App provided localized data, virus tracking, quarantine information, recommendations on what to do if you’re sick, if schools are closed, businesses that are open, those that deliver, etc.  it would see a lot of usage.  And, the user data would be useful!

What most people are getting now is a President saying it will be business as usual real soon.  That he’s not sure closing businesses is a good idea.  Then, he’s ordering GM to make ventilators, and considering putting multiple states under quarantine.  Talk about mixed messages...

Read this NPR article. It says that the China tests may only be 30-50% accurate (in identifying an infected person). And China does NOT count asymptomatic people in their "infected" count.

gatorguy
  • Reply 12 of 26
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,655member
    Prospect Park is .82 square miles (although some of that is lake).   Just because a lot of people are going there doesn't mean that they're not practicing social distancing.  In fact, it's easier to stay farther away from other people in the park than it is on a typical city sidewalk.   Same is true for the Coney Island Boardwalk and the beach and places like it.  The Boardwalk is far wider than any city sidewalk - it's about 100 feet wide.    The danger isn't outside - it's inside.  When you're walking in the park, as long as you don't go to the playground or sit on a bench, one is not touching anything.  
    GeorgeBMaccgWerks
  • Reply 13 of 26
    boredumb said:
    The way this worked for Singapore and S. Korea was a combination of cell phone tracking to see who you were around AND a ton of expedited tests. This system does not work unless you can test everyone who may have been exposed pretty much immediately. So say you found out you were infected. The government then grabbed your tracking data, found every phone you came close to, then contacted that phone, most times via text. The message essentially said you have come in contact with someone who has tested positive so please report to “testing site” and get your test. You were given a tag that identified you to the test. In China you were also given a wrist band tracker that you were required to wear. If you tested positive, the whole thing started again from your phone and you stayed quarantined, using again your cell phone OR a wrist tracker to verify you stayed at home. By doing this, they quickly identified who was infected, who THEY infected and locked only those people down. In S. Korea, this method stopped the virus completely with NO social distancing or shutting down of their society. I am NOT suggesting we should do this here. Though I have been saying since reading about these instances that it would be an interesting opportunity to test just how much Americans really do care about their privacy AND if it would be the back door into our systems the government has been itching for years to get.
    GeorgeBMacStrangeDayscgWerks
  • Reply 14 of 26
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,954member

Exactly.

h2p said:
    "...public places are still being visited by large numbers of people, making them a breeding ground for virus transmission. Some researchers are already discovering areas like Brooklyn's Prospect Park that still draw crowds."
    Twitter post/video from Tectonix GEO about using cell phone data to illustrate "the true potential impact of ignoring social distancing..."

(as of Mar 24, 2020 at 8:44pm)

I guess I don’t really get it. Sure, cool tech; we can see the “potential impact”, ok, neat visualization. But that’s all this hush-hush data grab is really. Neat visualizations that show “potential”. Not that useful, unless as other posters have pointed out, it’s not so anonymized. And even, then it’s only truly useful unless this non-anonymized info includes a patient’s COVID-19 status. 

isidore said:
    While the use is maybe justified just for now, the obvious danger is that this will be normalised. Turn off your cellular connection and use a VPN for data over wifi should suitably protect you? But we shouldn’t be forced to do stuff like that to stop the state tracking us. 

Amen. Feasibility of turning off cellular all the time is a little low for most tho?

edited March 2020 cgWerks
  • Reply 15 of 26
    crriser said:
    boredumb said:
    The way this worked for Singapore and S. Korea was a combination of cell phone tracking to see who you were around AND a ton of expedited tests. This system does not work unless you can test everyone who may have been exposed pretty much immediately. So say you found out you were infected. The government then grabbed your tracking data, found every phone you came close to, then contacted that phone, most times via text. The message essentially said you have come in contact with someone who has tested positive so please report to “testing site” and get your test. You were given a tag that identified you to the test. In China you were also given a wrist band tracker that you were required to wear. If you tested positive, the whole thing started again from your phone and you stayed quarantined, using again your cell phone OR a wrist tracker to verify you stayed at home. By doing this, they quickly identified who was infected, who THEY infected and locked only those people down. In S. Korea, this method stopped the virus completely with NO social distancing or shutting down of their society. I am NOT suggesting we should do this here. Though I have been saying since reading about these instances that it would be an interesting opportunity to test just how much Americans really do care about their privacy AND if it would be the back door into our systems the government has been itching for years to get.

So, what then is the alternative?   Wishful thinking?   An Easter miracle?
    Social Distancing was never meant to stop it, simply slow it down so the health care system doesn't get overwhelmed.
    Obviously what Italy did and we are doing is not working so well.

(BTW, China did both:  a hard shut down and extensive testing with social tracking.  S. Korea got ahead of it up front and it never really got out of control.)
  • Reply 16 of 26
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,409member
    boredumb said:

And make it easier to do so the next time there's a national emergency and the next time and then it's the norm.
    cornchipcgWerks
  • Reply 17 of 26
    mike1 said:
    boredumb said:

And make it easier to do so the next time there's a national emergency and the next time and then it's the norm.

So, you don't trust your own government?
    ... There's a remedy for that coming up in about 6 months
    spheric
  • Reply 18 of 26
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,226member
    georgie01 said:
    Much of the misbehavior is due to Trump minimizing the seriousness of covid and its spread. For people ages 20-50, covid may be worse than the flu as far as mortality. (For people over 60, it's far worse than the flu.)
    The biggest problem is Trump's America First policy and denial of a major problem in the offing, which led to the U.S. not testing early enough and often enough. We're still not testing enough! But for Trump's decisions, we could have been testing on a large scale 2 months ago, isolating and contact tracing. (Remember Trump saying he didn't want the passengers of the Princess cruiseship to enter the country because it would make our numbers look worse? It's all about politics to him. He could care less about us.)
    edited March 2020 StrangeDaysGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 19 of 26
    sergiozsergioz Posts: 338member
    Purchased movement & GEO location data can be combined with WHO data and now government can build a precise model China 🇨🇳 used in their COVID-19 tracking. Unlike China, American officials have to jump through official channels to acquire information.
  • Reply 20 of 26
    I mean they could be using it for worse things. Which they will be to be fair, nothing that we didn't know already.