Lawsuit bemoans iPhone XR's 'inferior,' 'defective' 2x2 MIMO antennas

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2020
A class action lawsuit filed on Monday suggests Apple intentionally misled customers by failing to disclose design and performance differences between the "inferior" 2x2 MIMO antenna array in iPhone XR and the 4x4 MIMO setup in iPhone XS and XS Max.

Lodged with the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California, the complaint alleges iPhone XR's antenna solution is inferior to the 4x4 MIMO array in iPhone XS. Further, Apple failed to inform consumers that the design "causes the iPhone XR to have half the signal connectivity and 4G speed of the iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max and renders the XR far less capable of obtaining a reliable connection in the same areas where the XS and Max can reliable connect."

Previous tests conducted by various media outlets seem to back up those claims, at least in part. Whether Apple concealed the fact is questionable, as the company plainly states iPhone XR's antenna arrangement on a technical specifications webpage that notes "802.11ac WiFi with 2x2 MIMO" under a description of "Cellular and Wireless" capabilities. The page has been active in some capacity since 2018. Another webpage offering an iPhone model comparison, however, merely mentions "MIMO" capabilities for the handset.

The suit goes on to label the 2x2 MIMO antenna array as a "defect," citing customer complaints regarding connectivity issues in the UK and other regions including the U.S.

Plaintiffs' iPhone XRs supposedly began to show signs of network connection degradation shortly after purchase. Along with voice communication troubles, the handset had problems sending and receiving text messages and suffered from intermittent or inoperable data connections. The suit reports nearly identical issues from plaintiffs living in Alabama, California, Florida, Georgia, Nevada, New York, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Texas and Wisconsin.

When contacted about the connectivity problems, Apple presented users a range of options, from performing a factory reset to contacting their respective network operators. Forum posts, including those from Apple's own Support Pages, are also cited as background evidence of a nefarious cover-up.

All named plaintiffs claim they only recently learned about Apple's decision to incorporate a 2x2 MIMO antenna array in iPhone XR, and some would not have purchased the device at its selling price had they known about the design.

Apple's iPhone XR launched in 2018 as the company's sub-flagship iPhone offering, sitting just below iPhone XS and XS Max. With an assortment of advanced technology, like Face ID, Liquid Retina display and high-quality rear-facing camera, and a relatively inexpensive price tag, the handset was an immediate hit. According to a report in February, iPhone XR dominated the smartphone market in 2019 with an estimated 46.3 million units shipped.

The lawsuit claims breach of express warranty, breach of implied warranty, violations of the California Consumer Legal Remedies Act, violations of California's Unfair Competition Law and fraud by concealment. Plaintiffs seek certification of class status, unspecified damages of more than $5 million and legal fees.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    My husband didn't complain at all about service issues (on Verizon) the whole year he had his XR. We're in Pennsylvania.
    davenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 29
    I doubt this will go anywhere. 
    Anilu_777watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 29
    tbstephtbsteph Posts: 95member
    What percent of iPhone XR purchasers (Or potential ones) know what MIMO is let alone the difference between a 2x2 array vs 4x4 one?
    dewmemuthuk_vanalingambaconstangredgeminipamike1StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 29
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Hmm, what if Apple had never made the XS and XS Max?  Would these customers still have a complaint? 

What if 4x4 MIMO antennas never existed?  Would they be able to complain with nothing superior to complain against?

Apple sold these phones with the specs page clearly stating 2x2 MIMO antenna, as stated in the article.  If you go to the Jeep website and check out all the vehicles there, and you don’t know the difference between the 4-wheel drive systems in the Wranglers and the Liberties, and you buy a Liberty, do you have the right to sue later when you learn all 4-wheel drive systems are not equivalent in capability?

Is this lawsuit based merely on the phone comparison page in Apple’s website, as though that’s the only source of information about the antennas?  Seems weak if so.  
    edited April 2020 gregoriusmdewmemacseekermuthuk_vanalingamfotoformatMplsPbaconstangAnilu_777williamlondonGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 5 of 29
    XedXed Posts: 2,519member
    Previous tests conducted by various media outlets seem to back up those claims, at least in part. Whether Apple concealed the fact is questionable, as the company plainly states iPhone XR's antenna arrangement on a technical specifications webpage that notes "802.11ac WiFi with 2x2 MIMO" under a description of "Cellular and Wireless" capabilities. The page has been active in some capacity since 2018.
    I wondered if Apple may have added that clarification at a later time, but even this review shows that they knew the Phone XR had 2x2 MIMO. But even if Apple didn't state it, that doesn't mean squat since they didn't promise 4x4 MIMO on any documentation.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13912/the-apple-iphone-xr-review-brilliant-battery-life
  • Reply 6 of 29
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
     All named plaintiffs claim they only recently learned about Apple's decision to incorporate a 2x2 MIMO antenna array in iPhone XR, and some would not have purchased the device at its selling price had they known about the design. ”

How many of these plaintiffs knew what 2x2 MIMO was prior to lawyers?
    muthuk_vanalingamradarthekatAnilu_777redgeminipa
  • Reply 7 of 29
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Hey, this is America where anybody can sue anybody for any reason. It’s like the lottery. where you buy your tickets take your chances. File  a lawsuit and see if it pays off. No harm, no risk. If you win, great. If you lose, try, try again. Sue a big company and you're likely to get a payoff  just to get rid of you. I’m absolutely positive they teach this in ambulance chasing, I mean, law school. And remember, in the USA, lawyers make the lawsuit laws. What does that tell you?
    mwhitewilliamlondonDAalsethjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 29
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    "Inferior" and "defective"? The XR sold millions upon millions upon millions worldwide, was pretty much the highest rated phone, and this is the literally the first time I hear of this. What a horse-shit lawsuit. 

fotoformatbaconstangwilliamlondonredgeminipajony0StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 29
    geekmeegeekmee Posts: 629member
    And what is the...’harm’...that the plaintiff suffered??

I think what we have here is proof, that frivolous lawsuits are executed everyday.
    edited April 2020 chasmjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 29
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,275member
    Wait, are you trying to tell me that cheaper iPhones may not have the same internals as more expensive iPhones?? I FOR ONE AM SHOCKED.

This lawsuit will go nowhere because harm cannot be proven, because 2x2 is not inferior, and because it’s not defective. Funny how no other phone makers get sued over this sort of stuff, even though 2x2 is obviously more widely used ...
    MplsPjony0StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 29
    seanismorrisseanismorris Posts: 1,624member
    If the iPhone XR was inferior to the iPhone 7/8 with regards to wireless signal, then maybe they could argue there was a design flaw.  

But, comparing the iPhone XR to the XS is crazy talk.  It’s “inferiority” is spelled out in the specs.
    baconstangjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 29
    While most of the world is on shutdown the Lawyers are all there working away filing new cases just to extract a few pennies for their clients (while they hope to get rich enough to stand for polotical office). Yes, I'm cynical.
    And they wonder why people hate lawyers? Flywheel, Shyster and Flywheel says it all.

jony0entropyswatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 29
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    chasm said:
    Wait, are you trying to tell me that cheaper iPhones may not have the same internals as more expensive iPhones?? I FOR ONE AM SHOCKED.

This lawsuit will go nowhere because harm cannot be proven, because 2x2 is not inferior, and because it’s not defective. Funny how no other phone makers get sued over this sort of stuff, even though 2x2 is obviously more widely used ...
    They know it won’t go anywhere. What they’re looking for is the sweet spot where Apple decides its worth paying to make them go away. 

jony0entropyswatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 29
    aknabiaknabi Posts: 211member
    This lawsuit should be one of the canonical examples of why the losing party should have to pay the legal fees in the US (like much the rest of the world)... it would stop these masses of lawyers crawling out of the sludge to find some reason to sue anyone with piles of cash to settle nonsense lawsuits... but would allow valid, winnable ones to go through (though not perfect).

I work with a major health tech firm and the amount of crap and expense we have to go through in product development just because there are lawyers who do nothing but look at the company for any possible lawsuit to make a buck by settling (not to mention hindering innovation). It's disgusting
    jony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 29
    Rayz2016 said:
    chasm said:

They know it won’t go anywhere. What they’re looking for is the sweet spot where Apple decides its worth paying to make them go away. 

Settling frivolous lawsuits just invites more frivolous lawsuits. Apple’s smarter than that. 

I don’t ever remember Apple settling a nuisance suit. They’ve got attorneys on staff, and to my knowledge they vigorously defend all suits filed against them. 

That’s not to say they don’t settle those that have merit, but anyone who thinks Apple is going to just lay down will be quickly disabused of that thought. 
    jony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 29
    Apple is always an easy target as everyone knows Apple is loaded with cash. Another class-action lawsuit against Apple is certainly not unexpected. I wonder if this is something many other smartphone manufacturers go through. All those minor smartphone brands made in China certainly must have flaws in their products that consumers should be able bring lawsuits against. I just think it's funny that even if a class-action lawsuit is won, the plaintiffs get a couple of dollars apiece and the law firm gets the bulk of the winnings. I have had so many products in my life that seemed unsatisfactory so I guess I should have sued all those companies. I missed my chance. There were countless computer products I bought over the years that didn't quite live up to my expectations.
  • Reply 17 of 29
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Hmm, what if Apple had never made the XS and XS Max?  Would these customers still have a complaint? 

What if 4x4 MIMO antennas never existed?  Would they be able to complain with nothing superior to complain against?

Apple sold these phones with the specs page clearly stating 2x2 MIMO antenna, as stated in the article.  If you go to the Jeep website and check out all the vehicles there, and you don’t know the difference between the 4-wheel drive systems in the Wranglers and the Liberties, and you buy a Liberty, do you have the right to sue later when you learn all 4-wheel drive systems are not equivalent in capability?

Is this lawsuit based merely on the phone comparison page in Apple’s website, as though that’s the only source of information about the antennas?  Seems weak if so.  

Good points!
    Or stated from a more laymen's perspective:   Is the Xr that bad?   Or, is the Xs (the pro model) that good?

Are we looking at a truly inadequate product?  Or, are we comparing a Mazda Miata against a Porsche and saying the Miata doesn't stack up?

The only answer is to compare the Xr against, say, the iPhone 8 and see how they compare.
  • Reply 18 of 29
    2x2 MIMO antennas were in iPhones up through the X and iPhone 8/8 Plus series.  It's not a defective design, it's just not the latest/greatest technology which at the time of release for the XR, XS and XS Max was the 4x4 MIMO.  

There's no evidence Apple misrepresented this antenna in the XR or hid that spec from anyone.  I'm confused as to why people would think a phone that is obviously a step down from the flagship models of that year (see LCD screen instead of OLED, single lens camera, etc) should have top of the line specs.
    GeorgeBMacjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 29
    There's also this article, a month before the XR's release date, discussing that it didn't have the 4x4 MIMO antenna:

https://www.wiwavelength.com/2018/09/iphone-xr-trades-4x4-mimo-for-greater.html
    jony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 29
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,335member
    The horror of it all! Speaking of “defective,” how the heck can Apple get away with only having a single camera on the lower cost iPhone XR when the more expensive iPhone XS Max has a dual camera? It doesn’t matter what Apple says in their product page, I really wanted a dual camera phone with 4x4 MIMO, positraction, and a heated leather cover and Apple disappointed me and my life is now ruined. Shall we talk about the lack of an OLED screen on the XR? This is so typically Apple, to build a phone that exactly matches theIr advertised specifications for the phone I bought and to sell it at a lower price than their more premium phone that I really wanted that has all the features I want. I feel so unhappy and unfulfilled - wah wah wah. This never would have happened if Steve was still in charge. I’m calling my lawyer... /s 
    beeble42watto_cobra