Editorial: The 2020 iPad Pro may not be what Apple originally intended

Posted:
in iPad edited June 2020
After roughly 17 months, Apple has refreshed the iPad Pro. It is an incredibly solid evolution of the iPad, but it is not the revolution that was expected -- and that version will probably arrive sooner rather than later.

iPad Pro with Smart Keyboard Folio
iPad Pro with Smart Keyboard Folio

Compared to the early generations of iPad, the latest iPad Pro is a technological marvel. It has come a long way from its origins, introducing massive improvements in both hardware, as well as software. The 2020 iPad Pro, is in no uncertain terms, the absolute best iPad to ever be released.

But, when compared to the 2018 model, the 2020 seems to leave would-be buyers wanting a bit more. Apple took 17 months between models, and yet the only notable features include an ultra-wide-angle lens, Wi-Fi 6, and the LiDAR scanner. Wi-Fi 6 is only beneficial if you have a new Wi-Fi 6 router, the LiDAR scanner has no real user-facing UI, and the camera isn't useful unless you use AR or take lots of photos with your tablet.

This got us wondering if the 2020 iPad Pro is really the device Apple intended to debut.

A12Z Bionic processor

The processor on the 2020 iPad Pro is the A12Z Bionic processor. In our performance testing, we were able to confirm that it is nearly identical to the A12X Bionic processor in its two-year-old predecessor. With that much time, the fact Apple didn't increase the processing power at all is highly notable.

Soon after launch, it was additionally confirmed that the A12Z is the same chip as the A12X. These rebinned A12Z chips do have eight functional GPU cores rather than seven, but is otherwise indistinguishable.

After almost two years between models, Apple re-used the exact same CPU and GPU that has an unused core working to give it slightly improved graphics performance. This does not seem to be what Apple had hoped to do here.

The 2020 iPad Pro camera update

The improvement of the cameras on the new iPad Pro was an obvious change to make. The cameras were already developed for the iPhone 11 lineup and the ultra-wide camera will be very useful for augmented reality which is an area Apple continues to explore.

Camera bump on the 2020 iPad Pro
Camera bump on the 2020 iPad Pro

But there are limitations here. There are now two cameras mounted to the back of the iPad Pro, which would theoretically enable Apple to bring rear-facing portrait mode to iPads. Think iPhone 11 -- it has nearly the same lens setup and it can capture depth-based images and portrait mode shots. So why can't the 2020 iPad Pro?

Furthermore, iPad Pro now has the LiDAR scanner which is used explicitly for capturing depth-based information. This is great for AR but also beneficial to be utilized for portrait mode that requires that depth information.

So not only could Apple have had an opportunity to bring Portrait Mode to iPad with the dual-camera setup, but it could have greatly improved it over the current implementation.

The case of the missing U1 chip

Prior to the iPad Pro's launch, leaked code seemed to "confirm" the new iPad Pros did have the U1 chip. The U1 chip, as a refresher, is an Apple-designed ultra-wideband chip designed to help with 3D positioning. In iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, and iPhone 11 Pro Max the U1 is used to detect other nearby phones and place them in priority order for AirDrop based on the device you are facing.

Browsing on the 2020 iPad Pro
Browsing on the 2020 iPad Pro

The future uses for this chip are numerous, and Apple's not-yet-unveiled AirTags only begin to scratch the surface. Combined with augmented reality, you can simply open the camera in your living room to see an arrow pointing exactly where your keys are. With the aid of the LiDAR scanner on the 2020 iPad Pros, this would have even been even more impressive.

But post-launch, the absence became apparent. The directional AirDrop feature was missing as well as the toggle in settings to disable it. This was confirmed subsequent teardowns and eventually by Daring Fireball's John Gruber.

Why though, would Apple leave off the U1 chip? Apple's marketing of the iPhone 11 was clearly touting features yet to come. It didn't design and include an entirely new chip just to aid in prioritizing AirDrop devices. Apple is still yet to show off what the U1 can do but didn't include it in their newest pro tablet.

Some had speculated Apple didn't include it due to the necessary redesign of the logic board or processor to make it happen, but with almost two years between cycles, why wasn't Apple able to make those changes? It is common for Apple to do just that as it upgrades a product line.

Why include LiDAR?

The LiDAR scanner is certainly a cool piece of tech. It can much more accurately gather depth information in from of the iPad Pro and from a farther distance away.

Using the Measure app with LiDAR on the 2020 iPad Pro
Using the Measure app with LiDAR on the 2020 iPad Pro

Yet, when one picks up a new iPad Pro, the only real benefit out of the box is a more accurate Measure app. This use case seems flimsy. There is no user-facing interface for the LiDAR scanner and developers have just started trying it out in their augmented reality apps. For such a touted piece of hardware, it seems only half baked like Apple intended to include or launch another feature or product alongside, such as its AirTags trackers.

Including it in the iPad Pro does give developers a small window to prepare their apps before an iPhone 12 launch with LiDAR this fall, which is perhaps why it did make the cut apart from other features.

Not everyone uses AR or the Measure app. For such a loudly-touted feature to not do all that much out of the box, the lack of mass appeal is surprising.

iPad Pro - the next generation

Apple has before kept a tight release cycle on iPad. The iPad 3 and iPad 4 were released in March and November during the same year where Apple made the switch to Lightning and bumped the processor from the A5X to the A6X processors. A similar processor jump could be feasible this year.

2020 iPad Pro and Apple Pencil
2020 iPad Pro and Apple Pencil

The most recent rumors posit Apple is intending to release yet another iPad Pro this fall that will include that mini LED display as well as many other benefits. A true overhauled update, perhaps with an A13X Bionic or even A14X Bionic, the U1 chip, Mini LED display, among other improvements.

Apple could have been going down this route for an overhauled iPad Pro. Then, mini LED production yield became constrained and the output too low for a product as mass-marketed as the iPad Pro. Without the mini LED, Apple could have had to delay that vastly improved model.

This scenario has Apple needing to quickly develop another model to launch with only minor updates that were feasible. This could be why we didn't get the U1 with a redesigned logic board, the faster processor, or other big enhancements. At least, not right now.

Apple is then forced to launch this model in early 2020, while still working towards a late-2020 launch for the mini LED and more capable model alongside iPadOS 14. How the coronavirus pandemic has already impacted and will affect this plan, we have no idea and Apple may be dealing with it day by day as well.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member

Apple has before kept a tight release cycle on iPad. The iPad 3 and iPad 4 were released in March and November during the same year where Apple made the switch to Lightning and bumped the processor from the A5X to the A6X processors. A similar processor jump could be feasible this year.

Gosh that seems like eons ago now. The 3 was a rare dude from Apple. I would love to hear the stories and arguments regarding that product launch.

My guess is that was a one time exception and not the norm. I’d be surprised to see it done again on now a more mature product such as the iPad Pro. 
    WTimbermancaladanianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 29
    It looks as though the supposedly upcoming mini LED screen technology will offer real, if minor advantages. The U1 chip, on the other hand, seems more likely to be useful in the iPhone than the iPad, although I've generally found a symmetry of features between the two, in the brief periods when it's been available, to be a genuine pleasure. (I understand why the iPhone and iPad have to leapfrog one another in terms of the features available on each, but I've never really liked having to play those "hey, stupid, you can't do that on this" games with myself when switching between the two.) Whole number processor updates, like the A14 replacement for the A13 likely coming on the new iPhones, are always welcome, but I doubt even that could justify a second iPad release in September. Apple may have other ideas, I admit, but at this point color me skeptical.
    dewmemuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 29
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    Your argument that this wasn't the iPad Apple wanted to ship right now makes a lot of sense. OTOH it seems less likely that they would drop a big one within six months. Seems more likely that they'd look at this time next year. People will be going back to work and businesses will be recovering from all the shutdowns. That's when Apple would drop the model with all the improvements you mentioned including the A14X.
    WTimbermanmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 29
    joeljrichardsjoeljrichards Posts: 23unconfirmed, member
    I think you're overlooking the possibility that Apple is betting heavily on AR and yet still doesn't have a solid AR development platform. This is at least the hardware. I think part of the justification was trying to the rights tools in the hands of devs to have credible content when Apple pushes AR even harder at the iPhone 12 launch.

This is a solid upgrade, but aside from the rumors display upgrade, it lacks U1, A14 (which should be a significant update), and 5G (another significant update). Those three silicon upgrades are obvious and I don't think Apple will make us wait 18 months to see them. Will we wait 6-months or 12-months is the question I doubt even Apple knows!
    ciamuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 29
    robjnrobjn Posts: 283member
    It’s all rather simple.

This minor update exists for 1 reason. To give developers access to the LIDAR scanner ahead of WWDC and months ahead of the new iPhones.

Then we have the Magic Keyboard and trackpad support because - if it’s ready, why wait? This will also mean that apps will be updated to support the trackpad ahead of the next big iPad Pro update. This allows the software to catch up a bit with the hardware for once.
    emoellerDAalsethcanukstormjdb8167stanthemanWTimbermanciajony0ForumPostneo-tech
  • Reply 6 of 29
    roakeroake Posts: 811member
    Oh, boy!  Apple’s going to piss some people off!
  • Reply 7 of 29
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    robjn said:
    It’s all rather simple.

This minor update exists for 1 reason. To give developers access to the LIDAR scanner ahead of WWDC and months ahead of the new iPhones.

Then we have the Magic Keyboard and trackpad support because - if it’s ready, why wait? This will also mean that apps will be updated to support the trackpad ahead of the next big iPad Pro update. This allows the software to catch up a bit with the hardware for once.
    This makes a lot of sense and I think very likely.

roake said:
    Oh, boy!  Apple’s going to piss some people off!
    And this is even more likely!
    WTimbermandewmeForumPostmarkwcowatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 29
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,701member
    robjn said:
    It’s all rather simple.

100% this.
    ciawatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 29
    sethm1sethm1 Posts: 4member
    I have a 2017 and the specs in this 2020 version is NOT enough for me to make a purchase.

And how about fixing Safari.  I have seen more and more pop ups and ads over the years.  When I first purchased an iPad (guessing around 2012) it was a nice experience.  Clean would be the way I describe it.  I bought it for surfing the web, checking my email, watching podcasts and movies.  Now its too much like a laptop. The adblocker Apps are useless because most the websites wont let me continue unless I deactivate the adblocker! 
    edited April 2020 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 10 of 29
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 879member
    Apple is showing that they can easily do some hardware mods, and ship...  seems fine.  Nothing to get bent out of shape about.  And if they can easily do mods nowdays, then it helps people "buy one" who are out there waiting for a spec bump (year to year)...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 29
    I upgraded from an 11” 2018 to a 12.9” 2020 iPad Pro. If not for wanting to move to a larger screen, plus an open box deal through Best Buy, I probably would have stuck with my 11” 2018.  
  • Reply 12 of 29
    What is the purpose of the the LiDAR scanner? Its dots are further apart than the previous iteration so it produces lower resolution scans of the location. The range measured is likely a lot more accurate though so objects on the screen "stick" to the surfaces in the image more precisely. However if that is the purpose of the LiDAR, what about the inside-out tracking of a modern VR headset like the Quest? It uses multiple cameras and AI processors to accurately measure its position to the world and accomplishes even better tracking accuracy than LiDAR. For example, when I put on the Quest a few feet away from where it was last used, it still knows where it is and shows the safe area cage superimposed over a grayscale 3D image of the world. It is pretty impressive and costs a fraction of the price of an iPad Pro.
    edited April 2020
  • Reply 13 of 29
    But does it bend? Because my 2018 12.9 inch definitely has some warping of the metal on the horizontal end. I will not buy another iPad until this issue is straightened out (pun intended). 
  • Reply 14 of 29
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,422member
    Like I said, I think the next iPad will be MacPad running MacOS on ARM as a step to moving MacOS to ARM. It seems to make transition easier.
  • Reply 15 of 29
    mr lizardmr lizard Posts: 354member

Furthermore, iPad Pro now has the LiDAR scanner which is used explicitly for capturing depth-based information. This is great for AR but also beneficial to be utilized for portrait mode that requires that depth information.

So not only could Apple have had an opportunity to bring Portrait Mode to iPad with the dual-camera setup, but it could have greatly improved it over the current implementation.

Nope. The LiDAR scanner in the iPad Pro is useless for Portrait mode. The dot projections are nowhere near close enough to each other to be able to aid depth mapping a human face; they are designed to project several meters and cover an entire area of a room. 

The lack of Portrait mode is notable, but when discussing its absence LiDAR is a red herring. 
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 16 of 29
    ciacia Posts: 254member
    Fully agree that this iPad exists just so developers can get hands-on with tech that is coming to iPhones this fall.  I have no idea when a truly "new" iPad Pro will be coming out considering the 2018/2020 models are still powerhouses with little competition.

Heck I'm still using my original iPad Pro 12" from years ago and it's working great.
    edited April 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 29
    netrox said:
    Like I said, I think the next iPad will be MacPad running MacOS on ARM as a step to moving MacOS to ARM. It seems to make transition easier.
    I am not so sure about this. It seems to me, though keep in mind I use the original 12.9” iPad Pro as my sole computer since 2015 so I may not be completely up to date with MacOS, that the biggest push into AR is via iOS. So IMO making a MacPad just does not make any sense when most of Apple’s AR push is with iOS.

On a side note, as the iPad continues to encroach more and more into what was originally considered traditional computer tasks/work, the biggest differentiator is screen real-estate. The work around for the current iPad is the implementation of split-screen, side view, and other swipe shortcuts. But it still lacks the feel you get with more screen size (even though you can hook up an external monitor, it is not an extended monitor... I think??). This is where I think the magic keyboard comes into play. It may be what is needed for touch control on a non-touch monitor... thoughts??
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 29

cia said:
    Fully agree that this iPad exists just so developers can get hands-on with tech that is coming to iPhones this fall.  I have no idea when a truly "new" iPad Pro will be coming out considering the 2018/2020 models are still powerhouses with little competition.

Heck I'm still using my original iPad Pro 12" from years ago and it's working great.
    I am also still using the original 12.9” Pro and am seriously considering this upgrade. I am a little saddened by this update as I want it to be as ridiculous as possible, and for no other reason than just cause. 🤓 However, my nerdy desires aside, I have to acknowledge that if my current Pro with its A9X and 4 GB of ram is still meeting my needs after nearly 4.5 years (though, I am noticing its age more so now that I am way more proficient using the multitasking that is available) then this current 2020 iPad Pro will easily last me another 4. And then just think about how amazing the new one I get will be!!!! 😁
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 29
    The real news here is the introduction of the magic keyboard next month, and I don't think Apple wanted to release it without a "new" version of the iPad Pro to go with it - however similar to the 2018 one. That's the only reason I can think of for this almost nonexistent "upgrade".
    tht
  • Reply 20 of 29
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    netrox said:
    No I just don't see Apple ever trying to put pure macOS on the iPad. padOS will continue to grow and add functions and features but I will be absolutely gobsmacked if they move it to macOS. macOS just isn't suitable for an iPad. They'd have to make so many changes for the touch screen/ApplePencil input that it would end up being padOS.
    canukstormwatto_cobra