Tim Cook confident Apple will emerge strongly from COVID-19 crisis

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple CEO Tim Cook held an all-hands virtual meeting Thursday to discuss COVID-19's impact and the company's plans to return to normalcy, indicating that its pace on new products hasn't slowed.

Apple CEO Tim Cook remains upbeat about Apple's recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic.
Apple CEO Tim Cook remains upbeat about Apple's recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic.

The coronavirus pandemic has affected Apple's entire workforce since March, when the company shuttered all brick-and-mortar retail locations and instructed employees across its offices to begin working from home.

While Cook called the pandemic an "uncertain and stressful moment" during Thursday's meeting, he remained hopeful that Apple would emerge strongly from the crisis, employees who attended the conference told Bloomberg.

The Apple executive said that the company entered the pandemic with a strong financial position, and maintained that it would continue to invest in research and development, as well as new product offerings, in a "really significant way."

Recent product launches, like the MacBook Air, iPad Pro and iPhone SE, were also given by Cook as examples that Apple's pace isn't being disrupted by the global crisis.

Jeff Williams, Apple's COO, made some comments hinting at Apple's future plans. While speaking about the elevated importance of Apple's health tech initiatives, Williams said that the company's development in the space isn't "limited to the wrist."

At another point in the meeting, Cook gave examples of the company's ability to recover during crises. In 1998, when he first joined Apple, the company avoided a near-bankruptcy with the debut of the original iMac. Right after the Great Recession in 2010, Apple responded by launching the first iPad.

Cook said that Apple has been impacted by COVID-19, but added that he is focused on running the company for the long-term. He noted that the company's plan is to come out of the COVID-19 pandemic similarly to its recoveries in 1998 and 2008.

When asked about job cuts, Cook reiterated the company's strong financial position and said that Apple is continuing to pay retail employees while stores are shut down. Retail staffers are reportedly starting online training and virtual meetups ahead of store re-openings.

As far as when Apple employees might return to work, Cook said he didn't know but added that when offices and stores do reopen, coronavirus-curbing measures like social distancing and temperature checks will probably be in place. Coronavirus tests are a possibility, but Cook added that there aren't any plans to deploy them at this point.

Cook also explained some of Apple's efforts to help fight COVID-19, including monetary contributions and new face shields. As of Thursday, Cook said Apple has donated more than 30 million masks and shipped about 2 million of its face shields.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    rain22rain22 Posts: 132member
    They are going to sell $18 coasters for $700 - it’s gunna be great, just great...

virtualshiftcornchip
  • Reply 2 of 17
    How do you plan to recover when all your products are either under powered (the Mac Mini's GPU) or overpriced (the MacPro) or outdated just like your current iMac and iMac Pro? You have years in between updates were you completely neglect products for your desktop users. Nope, for once I really hope Tim Cook falls flat on his face so he learns a valuable lesson to quit ignoring his customers, instead of focusing on making super profitable products for Apple rather than actually updating products regularly so his customers have the Mac that they want to buy. I would like an updated iMac or affordable Mac Pro. But noooo, instead let's update the MacBook Pro line again for the third time this year!
  • Reply 3 of 17
    How do you plan to recover when all your products are either under powered (the Mac Mini's GPU) or overpriced (the MacPro) or outdated just like your current iMac and iMac Pro? You have years in between updates were you completely neglect products for your desktop users. Nope, for once I really hope Tim Cook falls flat on his face so he learns a valuable lesson to quit ignoring his customers, instead of focusing on making super profitable products for Apple rather than actually updating products regularly so his customers have the Mac that they want to buy. I would like an updated iMac or affordable Mac Pro. But noooo, instead let's update the MacBook Pro line again for the third time this year!
    The vast majority of Mac users are MacBook users not desktop users and it was that way prior to Cook becoming CEO. So when Apple priorities the MacBook it is doing exactly what you are saying it should do, focusing on what it’s customers want. Focusing on single use cases like yours would get you what you want which is Cook falling flat on his face. Sorry, to say that that does t seem likely.  Bummer for you. Good news is you will always have the AI comments section in which to wail and gnash your teeth. 
  • Reply 4 of 17
    KTRKTR Posts: 279member
    The vast majority of Mac users are MacBook users not desktop users and it was that way prior to Cook becoming CEO. So when Apple priorities the MacBook it is doing exactly what you are saying it should do, focusing on what it’s customers want. Focusing on single use cases like yours would get you what you want which is Cook falling flat on his face. Sorry, to say that that does t seem likely.  Bummer for you. Good news is you will always have the AI comments section in which to wail and gnash your teeth. 
    What Apple product(s) do you use, if any?
  • Reply 5 of 17
    Kinda angry aren’t we? I guess this social distancing thing is making you stir crazy. 

Sorry Apple hasn’t made the right products for you. Maybe a nice tune from The Rolling Stones will help like “You can't always get what you want”.
    cornchip
  • Reply 6 of 17
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    My opinion is that there are too many snarky comments, or as I prefer to call it, extreme ignorance with a dash of stupidity on display.

Some people have nothing but negativity to contribute. In my book, these kind of people are called losers.

I see nothing but an extremely positive outlook for Apple going ahead. That doesn't mean that every single thing that they make is 100% perfect or that there is nothing to criticize, but overall, when you look at the big picture, they are doing great. Nobody cares about the anecdotal opinions of disgruntled people who have special needs and are incapable of seeing the greater picture.

The facts are that Apple remains as strong as ever, virus or no virus. AAPL isn't even that far away from $300 again, they've rebounded nicely. But who cares about that, all that stuff was just temporary anyway.

Apple has a strong product lineup across the board and they continue to release new products all of the time, with the latest being the second gen iPhone SE of course, which is ready for preorder in just some hours from now. I'm glad to see that the shitty virus doesn't seem to have affected Apple's release plans.

The latest Apple product that I bought was a pair of AirPod Pros about a month ago and I'm pretty happy with them. I like the noise cancellation on them and I'll be using them tomorrow when taking a walk. It almost drowns out all of the cars and traffic on the street, and there are a lot of cars on the streets where I am. A person should of course be aware of their surroundings when using that feature. Dummies should not use that feature.

The future is looking so bright for Apple, they're gonna have to wear shades.

cornchip
  • Reply 7 of 17
    The main point of the meeting was to reinforce Apple’s commitment to their employees, and their customers and to help first responders and medical professionals. 
    Rather than pulling a Best Buy and furlough employees, Apple is continuing to pay their employees and repurpose them where they can to help customers during this time when they are needed the most. 

I don’t see a lot of companies doing this, especially in the retail sector. 
  • Reply 8 of 17
    KTR said:
    I’m not sure what relevance that has to my comment but in no particular order, iPhone, iPad, MacBook, MacMini, Apple Watch, AirPods, HomePod. Currently subscribe to Apple TV+, Apple Arcade and pay for monthly iCloud storage. Also have an Apple Card. I use most most of the products that were firmly bundled as iWork and iLife as well as Logic and FileMaker. I dabble it FCP but not a big user. I also have some Beats stuff kicking around. 

Edit: also use an AppleTV and Music Memos (such and underrated product). 
    edited April 2020
  • Reply 9 of 17
    KTR said:
    I’m not sure what relevance that has to my comment but in no particular order, iPhone, iPad, MacBook, MacMini, Apple Watch, AirPods, HomePod. Currently subscribe to Apple TV+, Apple Arcade and pay for monthly iCloud storage. Also have an Apple Card. I use most most of the products that were firmly bundled as iWork and iLife as well as Logic and FileMaker. I dabble it FCP but not a big user. I also have some Beats stuff kicking around. 

I think he wanted to quote Virtualshift, and accidentally selected your post.

cornchipjony0
  • Reply 10 of 17
    goofy1958 said:
    KTR said:

I think he wanted to quote Virtualshift, and accidentally selected your post.

That makes sense. Probably should have had some coffee and thought it over before responding. 
  • Reply 11 of 17
    I'm not asking Apple to focus on just me. I saying that Apple should also update their iMac already with a real update and not just upgrading the CPU as the did March 2019. The iMac has had the same design for about 10 years and is the only Apple computer without the T2 chip. Maybe I'm a little old school thinking that the best way for Apple to learn a lesson is to fail a little, but I have been using Apple products sense 1998. It's too bad we have people yo like that will except whatever they are given without forming an opinion that maybe they're being taken advantage of. If you want to good example, just look how long it took Apple to fix the keyboards in the MacBook Pro's. There was complaints for something like three or four years before they finally fixed it. That's just crazy and pure laziness on Apple's part.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    I'm not asking Apple to focus on just me. I saying that Apple should also update their iMac already with a real update and not just upgrading the CPU as the did March 2019. The iMac has had the same design for about 10 years and is the only Apple computer without the T2 chip. Maybe I'm a little old school thinking that the best way for Apple to learn a lesson is to fail a little, but I have been using Apple products sense 1998. It's too bad we have people yo like that will except whatever they are given without forming an opinion that maybe they're being taken advantage of. If you want to good example, just look how long it took Apple to fix the keyboards in the MacBook Pro's. There was complaints for something like three or four years before they finally fixed it. That's just crazy and pure laziness on Apple's part.
    You seem really angry that Apple won't cater to you personally. Maybe for your next act you can rant about Hypercard, QTVR, Quicktime Streaming Server or the Newton not getting any love.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    You seem really angry that Apple won't cater to you personally. Maybe for your next act you can rant about Hypercard, QTVR, Quicktime Streaming Server or the Newton not getting any love.
    What is the point on commenting on me if you're not going discuss any of the points that I making? Or are you one of those "Apple Sheep" people talk about?
  • Reply 14 of 17
    What is the point on commenting on me if you're not going discuss any of the points that I making? Or are you one of those "Apple Sheep" people talk about?
    I addressed what you said in your initial comment and ignored it. Your posts are just rants about how you feel personally wronged by Apple. That is totally your prerogative and if you makes you feel better to call me an "Apple Sheep" then awesome. Glad you have something to comfort you in your Apple rage.  
  • Reply 15 of 17
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,165member
    He does have a point though. The desktop has been neglected, the MacBook keyboard fiasco is taking far too long to correct.  I reckon the iPhone is so profitable it thus gets all the executive love and Apple’s foundation, the Mac, has been an afterthought for some time as some no doubt see the future as the iOS based iPad. I also believe the Mac Pro has been overpriced to fail for some internal corporate plan. 

Anyway, I am curious to know what platform cook used. Not some unreleased version of FaceTime, surely.
    edited April 2020
  • Reply 16 of 17
    KTR said:
    I currently own a 2017 15in MacBook Pro, the 2018 iPad Pro 12.9, a iPhone XS Max with 256gb, an Apple Watch 4, and a Apple TV 4K. I have been a Mac user most of my life and I do not plan on switching to windows or another OS. I just wish Apple didn't take so long to update their Products and didn't overcharge so much with products like the new Mac Pro. 
  • Reply 17 of 17
    entropys said:
    He does have a point though. The desktop has been neglected, the MacBook keyboard fiasco is taking far too long to correct.  I reckon the iPhone is so profitable it thus gets all the executive love and Apple’s foundation, the Mac, has been an afterthought for some time as some no doubt see the future as the iOS based iPad. I also believe the Mac Pro has been overpriced to fail for some internal corporate plan. 

Anyway, I am curious to know what platform cook used. Not some unreleased version of FaceTime, surely.
    The two big misses on the Mac front, in my opinion, were not realizing the previous Mac Pro was a flop and the time it took to address the MacBook Pro keyboard. With the second own they took a few (2-3?) attempts to fix it so it wasn't like they were sitting idle but it still took way too much time.  

I don't think the longer refresh times for the iMac and Mac mini are a product of neglect so much as the reality of computing. The standard computer market is really mature and there are not big technical jumps as frequently as there once were. They have modern IO and they get the occasional spec bump. There isn't much else to do there. I mean the biggest complaint he has on the iMac front is that it has the same design as it has for years. He hasn't said what is wrong with the design and seems to be arguing that it should be changed for the sake fo changing it. Since that has zilch to do with performance or usability I'd argue it's a really minor complaint. 

I think the notion that Apple intends for the Mac Pro to fail is kinda ridiculous. Why would any company set out to have such a high profile failure? Why would a company spend the time, effort and capital to fail? Apple has had no issues killing products that it no longer saw as viable even when it has pissed off a part of their user base. Newton, eMate, Xserve, Xserve Raid, Cube, Cinema Display line... In none of those cases to they go though some convoluted process to make the product fail so they could get rid of it. They just got rid of it.