Who should upgrade to the new iPhone SE

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
     If you are still using the original iPhone SE, you are in a good spot to upgrade. The biggest barrier is the screen size, which will take some adjusting. ”

I think you mean the bigger size “in your hand”.  That was always one of the appealing traits of the original SE form factor and has now been discarded by Apple.

You also forgot the 6/7/8/new SE’s really stupid placement of the sleep/wake switch (on the side) where people normally hold their phone.
    edited April 2020
  • Reply 22 of 25
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    henrybay said:
    Millions of people still use iPhones with TouchID and prefer it to FaceID - especially now that we’ll be wearing face masks for the next few years. 
    Except that, if you're in a public situation where you'd be wearing a mask, you probably ought to be wearing latex gloves too.  Oops.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 25
    AlgerAlger Posts: 29member
    henrybay said:
    Millions of people still use iPhones with TouchID and prefer it to FaceID - especially now that we’ll be wearing face masks for the next few years. 
    Except that, if you're in a public situation where you'd be wearing a mask, you probably ought to be wearing latex gloves too.  Oops.
    Except that, wearing a (typical) mask in a public situation is not to protect you, but rather to protect others from the viral droplets coming out via your breath, coughs, sneezes.  Wearing gloves is to protect one's self from picking up the virus on objects/surfaces, or to protect others if you are handling things that you're giving to others - both very different reasons from wearing a typical mask.  So, wearing a mask should be routine in any busy public situations, for _everyone_, whereas wearing gloves is much more specialized.  And if you're wearing gloves, you can't even tap in your password on a phone, so, all bets are off.
    henrybay
  • Reply 24 of 25
    AlgerAlger Posts: 29member
    Still toting around a 6 on its last legs, it's time to upgrade, but the question is not whether, but is the SE a good-enough/right-now swap, compared to the "12" coming out later this year?  Much more expensive, sure, but maybe worth it because the cameras, alone, will be worth that much more?  And 5G capability.  I've waited this long...can maybe wait a few more months.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 25
    hexohexo Posts: 3member
    original SE user here. Pfff, I knew this would happen. What makes the SE good is the small size, the headphone jack, and the touch ID. They kept only one of those things.. meh, ok, you can get a dongle or just upgrade headphones. So I guess I'll get the new SE whenever I spontaneously think "I'd like to schlepp an extra adapter everywhere and not be able to fit my phone in my pockets anymore, nor be able to use it one-handed" which will be in.... [checks notes] oh right, never.
    just cruisin