Who should upgrade to the new iPhone SE

Posted:
in iPhone edited April 2020
For the newest iPhone SE, the decision whether or not to upgrade is more complicated than you'd think. Let's explore who should, and shouldn't, upgrade to the iPhone SE.

The all-new iPhone SE (2020)
The all-new iPhone SE (2020)

While not Apple's top-of-the-line model, that iPhone SE has a lot to love. Whether you are coming from an original iPhone SE or something more recent, there are serious gains in this little device.

Without delving into all the specs, the iPhone SE has a 4.7-inch display that mimics the size and design of the iPhone 8. It has a single 12MP camera around back and a 7MP on the front, both capable of shooting portrait mode images. Inside is Apple's A13 Bionic processor to help ensure this phone will run for years to come. Not to mention support for wireless charging, water resistance, improved wireless performance, and much more.

This also happens to be the only device in Apple's lineup still using Touch ID for those who don't yet want to jump to Face ID.

I have an iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, or iPhone 11 Pro Max

The latest iPhone SE second-generation is not your typical iPhone launch. Those historically happen in the fall, September or October timeframe. We last got a major iPhone launch late 2019 with the iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, and iPhone 11 Pro Max being released.

Those flagship phones are both pricier and more feature-packed than the iPhone SE. If you picked up any of those three in the fall, don't even consider picking up the iPhone SE. It wouldn't be an upgrade in any respect.

I have the original iPhone SE

If you are still using the original iPhone SE, you are in a good spot to upgrade. The biggest barrier is the screen size, which will take some adjusting.

The previous-gen iPhone SE has a 4-inch display while the 2020 iteration has a 4.7-inch display. A lot of iPhone SE users loved the smaller screen and with now no hope left that Apple will ever release another small-screened device, this is as good as time as any to upgrade.

The new iPhone SE
The new iPhone SE sports the A13 Bionic processor

Going from the original iPhone SE, you can expect more than a twice as fast CPU and four times better graphics for playing games and getting work done. The faster processor also enables portrait modes on both the rear and front-facing cameras.Wireless performance is better, battery life is longer, it supports dual-SIM, and it happens to be water and dust resistant.

So many users buy the iPhone SE because they want an iPhone at a lower cost but until now they were limited to processors that were a year or more older than Apple's other devices. The 2020 iPhone SE has Apple's latest processor, the same as found in the iPhone 11 and iPhone 11 Pro, and will guarantee the device will work far into the future.

I have an iPhone 6, iPhone 7, or iPhone 8 series

This is all going to be preference-based, but generally speaking the older the phone the better time it is to upgrade.

The new iPhone SE comes in Product(RED)
The new iPhone SE comes in Product(RED)

The iPhone 6 is a year and a half older than the original iPhone SE. Going from the A8 to the A13 Bionic will give you four times the CPU speed and ten times better graphics. That is a huge boost in performance for a new entry-level phone, not to mention all the other benefits the updated iPhone SE brings to the table.

Even going from the iPhone 8 is an improvement with 1.4x the CPU performance and twice as solid graphics. Jumping to the A13 Bionic gets you new features such as portrait mode, dual-SIM, and faster wireless for much less than an iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, or iPhone 11 Pro Max.

A lineup of iPhones

Now more than ever is Apple's lineup of smartphones suited for everyone. Anyone can buy an iPhone starting at only $399 and get the latest, fastest processor and a ton of other features. The phone is not only fast, but well-designed to last for years with new features surely arriving through free iOS software updates to ensure you get the most out of your phone.

If you are looking for a low-cost iPhone that is more affordable than the iPhone 11 then the iPhone SE is absolutely worth upgrading to. Who knows before we may see an update to it again.

Pre-order incentives have already started to roll in from wireless carriers and third-party retailers. Offers vary by carrier, from free with trade offers to cash discounts, when ordered on installment to the full $399 retail for the 64GB model.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    djs71adjs71a Posts: 10member
    My biggest question is around the camera. I have a 7 Plus and want a smaller phone, but unsure how the camera in the new SE compares to the 7 Plus. Obviously if I want the best camera I would buy the 11 Pro or wait for this year's iPhone, but wow it is a lot of money!!!
    pulseimages
  • Reply 2 of 25
    I still think they should have jazzed up the design a bit. Something with flowers or dots.
  • Reply 3 of 25
    KuyangkohKuyangkoh Posts: 838member
    Nah....I still have iphone8....
  • Reply 4 of 25
    I have two 8s, and just ordered for a new SE for each.  Why?  I'm used to the Home button and the 4.7" screen, and just don't need to spend $$$$ for high end models.
    Mr. Verizov's  copper wires into my home have "gone South," and cannot be replaced due to City Fathers' obstructionist behavior.   So I've been on wireless since mid-201`1.  I need two phones: One for the home and the other for business and fund-raising, (The business and fund-raising efforts attract vermin, malware and phishing like a beer to honey!)  I use the phones for voice, messaging and the clock, pus Kindle. Everything else is accomplished on a 27" iMac.  
    With the A-13 chip, the new SEs should last three or four years before Apple pulls the plug. . 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 25
    Hank2.0Hank2.0 Posts: 151member
    I still think they should have jazzed up the design a bit. Something with flowers or dots.
    Cool man, think Apple still has the rights to "She's A Rainbow"?
    cia
  • Reply 6 of 25
    Worth mentioning that iPhone 6, 6s, and SE owners will be giving up a headphone jack, but gaining wireless charging, which is nice. And iPhone 7 users will also gain wireless charging.
    ciajdiamondwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 25
    ciacia Posts: 248member
    It's not flashy, but the new SE is a super solid base model phone that will last buyers 3-4 years. I have to wonder what the margins are on it? I can see it being a big seller for the crowd that just wants a cheap iPhone.
    edited April 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 25
    tommy65tommy65 Posts: 56member
    Okay I am in need to add something to the article. It’s is not about screen- or display size it is all about dimensions of the device and usability as Steve Jobs told us right? Yes hardware wise it is a great upgrade but talking about handling a SE old style is way better than the current SE. you will definitely need two instead of one hand to operate this device as with the 6,7 and 8 iPhones who have similar dimensions. Keep that in mind. I do hope that one day we understand that size doesn’t matter but usability and comfort in handling, operation and storage even in the so popular tight jeans, right fashionistas? Having limited width and height but still a decent display size is a holy grail yet to be found in this ever big, bigger, biggest and tall, taller, tallest competition. And hardware is one thing but In the end it is all about usability, services, security and flexibility not size. Think again...
    Hank2.0just cruisin
  • Reply 9 of 25
    henrybayhenrybay Posts: 144member
    Millions of people still use iPhones with TouchID and prefer it to FaceID - especially now that we’ll be wearing face masks for the next few years. 

I will certainly be upgrading my iPhone 8 to the new iPhone SE. 
    jdiamondGrayeaglejust cruisinwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 25
    digitoldigitol Posts: 276member
    Everyone who wants Touch-ID, and the ability to log into their phone, even wearing a mask. (Doctors, Covid-19, Motorcycle riders, Welders, etc.). Everyone that wants a phone that works and doesn't want a Ui that accidentally swipes up/down/L,R etc, when gaming or using apps... which now are reserved for navigating/replaceing the HOME BUTTON!!!! Basically a flawed design. Everyone who hates the "notch" on the top of the screen. Everyone who doesn't want to pay $1000 dollars for a phone, which is designed to jump out of the packaging and hit the floor and crack/shatter which costs upwards of $500-600 dollars to repair, and several days, via Apple. Be wise, join the iPhone SE club today!!! 
    henrybayGrayeagle
  • Reply 11 of 25
    tokyojimutokyojimu Posts: 528member
    henrybay said:
    Millions of people still use iPhones with TouchID and prefer it to FaceID
    Have any of the people who prefer TouchID ever used FaceID? 
    harry wildbonobobwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 25
    tokyojimutokyojimu Posts: 528member
    Grayeagle said:
     I need two phones: One for the home and the other for business and fund-raising. 

The new SE is dual-SIM. You can use the one phone for both. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 25
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    tokyojimu said:
    Grayeagle said:
     I need two phones: One for the home and the other for business and fund-raising. 

Anything like my workplace no. They install a profile that prevents this. Security! Mind you I am just glad they let me use an iPhone, cripple by corporate IT as they are (no iCloud services, for example). Anything not MS, HP or Dell has a very hard time.
    edited April 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 25
    henrybayhenrybay Posts: 144member
    tokyojimu said:
    henrybay said:
    Yes, I briefly upgraded my iPhone 8 to 11 before last Xmas but changed it back after 10 days. I really missed TouchID and am glad I went back. I am not a Luddite and enjoy new technology but I truly believe that TouchID is superior to FaceID. 

It enables me to reach for my phone at night, or in my pocket, or anywhere, and turn it on without having to bring it to my face. I can feel which way the phone is orientated by feeling the home button at the bottom. And now that I have to wear a mask outside I find it even more useful. 

I also have concerns about the safety of FaceID which beams infrared laser dots into our retinas. A number of reputable scientific studies question the long term safety of beaming IR directly into our eyes. It’s not the same impact as the ambient infra red light which surrounds us during the day, and which we are evolved to handle. Do a Google search and see for yourself. 
    jdiamond
  • Reply 15 of 25
    nicholfdnicholfd Posts: 824member
    Grayeagle said:
    With the A-13 chip, the new SEs should last three or four years before Apple pulls the plug. . 

For many generations of devices, in general, Apple has supported iPhones/iPads for five (5) years (some longer) with iOS/iPadOS updates from the model release dates.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 25
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    tokyojimu said:
    henrybay said:

Although, it seems to me that the main advantage of FaceID is that it enables a no-bezel screen that uses the whole front of the phone - rather than how the phone is unlocked.

Likewise, I was surprised to hear Andrew say that  (to paraphrase):  'Those who like the smaller screen on the original SE will just have to get used to a bigger screen'.
    That's weird!  People want a bigger screen in a smaller phone.  The appeal of the original SE (aside from cost) was the small size of the phone -- it could fit easily into the palm of your hand and was easy to make calls on (which is why Steve Jobs liked the form).  The appeal was NOT the smaller screen!
  • Reply 17 of 25
    jdiamondjdiamond Posts: 122member
    I feel like this is the perfect phone for anyone that doesn't feel they need an iPhone that looks like the newest and coolest.  TouchID works better than FaceID in most situations, a home button is easier than swiping up constantly.  256 megabytes is a good amount of storage for a lot of people.  Water resistance is a plus.  Really, the only reason to go for the high end iPhones (besides the cool factor) is they have much better cameras.  But I think the "cool factor" is much more important for teenagers and maybe young professionals.

I'm still using my 6S, and aside from hating the limitations of 128GB storage and a lackluster camera, it's an awesome phone!  And I still remember how great everyone felt about it when it launched. :)  

watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 25
    jdiamondjdiamond Posts: 122member
    > Although, it seems to me that the main advantage of FaceID is that it enables a no-bezel screen that uses the whole front of the phone - rather than how the phone is unlocked.

You mean you didn't notice the notch?  There again - coolness over usefulness.  If it were so useful, we could all have a notch on the bottom of the phone holding just the touchID button. :). I greatly prefer a rectangular screen.

• Reply 19 of 25
    tokyojimu said:
    Grayeagle said:

Yeah, but my business phone often gets calls while I'm on the house phone, and my house phone is almost clear of malware and spamming.  The business phone attracts car salesmen, warranty-extension,  home repair, political calls, etc. all during the day (and even on Sunday!) 
    I carry the house phone in my pocket and leave the business phone  on the desk while out of the house. I put the business phone on Airplane Mode in the evenings and weekends.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 25
    Not having 4x4 MIMO means this is a nonstarter in my eyes.