France asks Apple to disable iOS security feature for national contact tracing app

Comments

• Reply 21 of 67
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,146member
    As long as it's user opt in/out...?
  • Reply 22 of 67
    gilly33gilly33 Posts: 444member
    And so it begins. Say no Apple. 
    toysandmeiOSDevSWEwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 67
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,388member
    georgie01 said:
    entropys said:
    Power once given is hard to take back.
    This is so true. The general public is naive, thinking the rights they’re giving away right now will never be taken away again except for something super serious. On the contrary, because of this virus we are now at serious risk of more and more government leaders using this or that excuse to restrict citizens in the name of public safety.

The governor of MI is already showing this in going way beyond sensible safety in her restrictions. And like a petty child she even threatened further restrictions in response to some people protesting.

Our founders fought to the death for freedom, but now we’re itching to give up whatever we can out of fear over a virus which will hurt far less people than a crumbling economy and the loss of valuing freedom.

Why the fuck don't you explain to us in detail how the restrictions in Michigan, specifically, differ from that of dozens of other states doing the exact same thing? What are all these "way beyond reasonable" restrictions? Or are you just mindlessly parroting Trump's tweets, who in turn was just mindlessly parroting some bullshit that an asshole said on Fox News? What is so special about Michigan, besides the fact that you happen to dislike the governor because some republicans told you to? The people protesting are a tiny number of nutjobs who have little grasp on the facts, and Trump decided to exploit that for some cheap political points. What blows my mind are these conspiracy theories, in which the governors are somehow benefitting from these shutdowns, when the reality is the exact opposite. 

We have 700,000 infections and almost 40,000 deaths in a little over a month, caused by a virus that we still dont understand, and there's still people like you pretending the flu is more dangerous and thumping chest about FREEDOM, when officials are doing the sane thing in terms of public health measures.  
    edited April 2020 baconstangwilliamlondonpscooter63kuduGeorgeBMacfastasleepsingularitywatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 67
    steven n. said:
    CV-19 is giving Governments the world over their wish list is the “name of public safety”. 
    It's far better than terrorists!
    redraider11watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 67
    frantisekfrantisek Posts: 761member
    rcfa said:
    Apple should neither lift nor prevent this.
    whether an app has or hasn’t continuous access to BT should be a matter a user decides the same way user decide over location settings, access to  microphone an camera, etc.

Apple is too restrictive, not towards app programmers, but in terms of giving users ultimate say over access to their data.
    Haha. Be sure that when this would be possible then local laws forcing people to turn it on would follow soon haha. And never would be taken back. Do not be naive as someone stated.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 67
    frantisekfrantisek Posts: 761member
    slurpy said:
    georgie01 said:
    entropys said:
    This is so true. The general public is naive, thinking the rights they’re giving away right now will never be taken away again except for something super serious. On the contrary, because of this virus we are now at serious risk of more and more government leaders using this or that excuse to restrict citizens in the name of public safety.

The governor of MI is already showing this in going way beyond sensible safety in her restrictions. And like a petty child she even threatened further restrictions in response to some people protesting.

Our founders fought to the death for freedom, but now we’re itching to give up whatever we can out of fear over a virus which will hurt far less people than a crumbling economy and the loss of valuing freedom.

Why the fuck don't you explain to us in detail how the restrictions in Michigan, specifically, differ from that of dozens of other states doing the exact same thing? What are all these "way beyond reasonable" restrictions? Or are you just mindlessly parroting Trump's tweets, who in turn was just mindlessly parroting some bullshit that an asshole said on Fox News? What is so special about Michigan, besides the fact that you happen to dislike the governor because some republicans told you to? The people protesting are a tiny number of nutjobs who have little grasp on the facts, and Trump decided to exploit that for some cheap political points. What blows my mind are these conspiracy theories, in which the governors are somehow benefitting from these shutdowns, when the reality is the exact opposite. 

We have 700,000 infections and almost 40,000 deaths in a little over a month, caused by a virus that we still dont understand, and there's still people like you pretending the flu is more dangerous and thumping chest about FREEDOM, when officials are doing the sane thing in terms of public health measures.  

I think everyone understand you. But current situation is not because of freedom but failures of individual people and organizations in charge and our low experience in such situations..And it doesn't matter who created virus and why. It was not nature.  And do we jump on ship claiming we need reduce freedom because of man made virus? Isn't that goal?

Forgot to add interesting statistic link: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

USA are not most hit country when you take deaths per 1 mill population. You can sort data table by any measure there.

edited April 2020
  • Reply 27 of 67
    I don’t understand where France has a problem. I have written two apps that are running continuously in the background using location as the background mode. Battery is fine and my app gets running all the time (connected to a server with URLSessionWebSocket). 
  • Reply 28 of 67
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    The Google-Apple system relies on smartphones’ Bluetooth connections and will allow users to keep their data on their handsets. However, France and the European Union want to feed the data to a central server, managed by state health services, which would alert users if they come into contact with a person infected by Covid-19.
    Any system that sends data to a centralized location is inherently less secure and is vulnerable to “mission creep,” enabling a form of surveillance on users, according to a letter on Monday from 300 academics in more than two dozen countries, which endorsed Google and Apple’s approach.

So it's not just Apple who says it's a terrible idea.

Keep saying 'no', Tim.

• Reply 29 of 67
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,616member
    iOSDevSWE said:
    I don’t understand where France has a problem. I have written two apps that are running continuously in the background using location as the background mode. Battery is fine and my app gets running all the time (connected to a server with URLSessionWebSocket). 
    Apple and Google rely on bluetooth for contract tracking rather than location thru GPS. France plans to do the same thing. Now read the article again as it pertains to limitations on bluetooth.
    GeorgeBMacIreneW
  • Reply 30 of 67
    echosonic said:
    "Your perceived "freedom" is not more important than others' right to live."

Wrong.  Your assumption that my freedom is merely "perceived" is nothing but the sound of a cynical, negative, angry individual too scared to take control over his own life.
    You're not free to do anything you want under rule of law when it has an effect on someone else's well being. 
    GeorgeBMacfastasleep
  • Reply 31 of 67
    slurpy said:
    georgie01 said:
    entropys said:

To be clear, I agree with you. And we're not talking about the article that should be discussed here, which is not related to what the self-righteous tools who want to kill paramedics and nurses are talking about. The restrictions order in Michigan that has been targeted by the political operators goes further than most -- [1] no gatherings of people who are not of the same household -- [2] no travel to second/vacation homes (a lot of people in Michigan have/rent lake condos/bungalows and the like) -- [3] Home Depot and such have to close their garden centers, flooring, and paint departments. The first two of these orders are pretty straightforward steps beyond what other states are doing, but those states aren't facing the kind of outbreak that Michigan is. Yet. I don't really get the third one but, regardless, YOU CAN STILL BUY PLANTS AND PAINT. You just have to order them online and have them delivered. So basically these pathological protests are over the Freedom! to carry your own shrubs out of the store.
    edited April 2020 GeorgeBMacheadfull0winefastasleep
  • Reply 32 of 67
    dmdevdmdev Posts: 33member
    I think maybe these developers should present their technical design and request feedback on how suitable it is to achieving their goals. Most likely there's a better solution that will work with what Apple has already provided.

If and only if no one (including Apple) cannot give them an answer, then and only then do they have a rightful complaint to request some additional capabilities
    edited April 2020
  • Reply 33 of 67
    gatorguy said:
    iOSDevSWE said:
    Apple and Google rely on bluetooth for contract tracking rather than location thru GPS. France plans to do the same thing. Now read the article again as it pertains to limitations on bluetooth.
    Why should I read again? You must have misread my answer: France’s problem is to keep the app running in the background with Bluetooth on. I do exactly that! I use it to send messages to some persons that are in the basement without WiFi or 4G coverage: using Bluetooth to jump messages from devices to devices. It just works. 
  • Reply 34 of 67
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,616member
    iOSDevSWE said:
    gatorguy said:
    iOSDevSWE said:
    Why should I read again? You must have misread my answer: France’s problem is to keep the app running in the background with Bluetooth on. I do exactly that! I use it to send messages to some persons that are in the basement without WiFi or 4G coverage: using Bluetooth to jump messages from devices to devices. It just works. 
    Ah, well OK then, the AppleInsider article is incorrect. It says "On iOS, apps that transfer data over Bluetooth are prevented from running in the background. The limitation, designed to protect user data, severely impacts the operating capabilities of contact tracing apps, which typically need to run continuously in order to be effective."

Thanks for the clarification.
    iOSDevSWEGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 35 of 67
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,036member
    georgie01 said:
    entropys said:

So, be specific on your criticism of MI restrictions. List what you believe are beyond sensible and explain your reasoning. Alternatives. 
    gatorguyGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 36 of 67
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,036member
    echosonic said:
    "Your perceived "freedom" is not more important than others' right to live."

Wrong.  Your assumption that my freedom is merely "perceived" is nothing but the sound of a cynical, negative, angry individual too scared to take control over his own life.
    Where did you get the illusion that you (we) have CONTROL over our lives? Except in the most minuscule way, we are wholly dependent; we certainly have no real CONTROL.

Yes, given the current conditions (our environment -- people, circumstances, luck, time in history), we have some choices, a very limited set, and if we're fortunate, the choices are mostly good, we have the ability to make some choices. But, CONTROL? Not on your life.

Fact is, Americans are the most dependent people on earth. And the most delusional.

If we are lucky, we are at least interdependent; we do so others don't have to and others do for us, so we don't have to.

There is not even one in a million of us who could make the cup we drink water from, nor how to find the potable water we take for granted. 
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 37 of 67
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    DAalseth said:
    If France wants an app to do this, they should build it, not try to force Apple to be complacent in their spying.

But they can't.   Apple has them blocked.
  • Reply 38 of 67
    georgie01 said:
    entropys said:

Yeh!  Who cares about how many Americans Trump kills!  This is about business and elections!
  • Reply 39 of 67
    georgie01 said:
    entropys said:

Give me a fucking break. The mitigation measures in place are there to hopefully prevent hundreds of thousands (if not more) deaths. Nobody is losing their rights, they're trying to prevent a terrible situation from getting much worse. Your perceived "freedom" is not more important than others' right to live.
    You, sir, live with rose colored glasses on and are a terrible American. 

So how does defending America and American lives make him a "terrible American"? 
  • Reply 40 of 67
    slurpy said:
    georgie01 said:
    entropys said:

To be clear, I agree with you. And we're not talking about the article that should be discussed here, which is not related to what the self-righteous tools who want to kill paramedics and nurses are talking about. The restrictions order in Michigan that has been targeted by the political operators goes further than most -- [1] no gatherings of people who are not of the same household -- [2] no travel to second/vacation homes (a lot of people in Michigan have/rent lake condos/bungalows and the like) -- [3] Home Depot and such have to close their garden centers, flooring, and paint departments. The first two of these orders are pretty straightforward steps beyond what other states are doing, but those states aren't facing the kind of outbreak that Michigan is. Yet. I don't really get the third one but, regardless, YOU CAN STILL BUY PLANTS AND PAINT. You just have to order them online and have them delivered. So basically these pathological protests are over the Freedom! to carry your own shrubs out of the store.

Well true....  But mostly its about the election coming up in November.   Trump needs a scapegoat.   He wins by exploiting fear and hate in poorly educated and poorly informed people.   It's a favorite trick used by dictators for centuries:  Get them to fear and hate somebody else so they can't see (or ignore) your own failures and corruption.