First ARM Mac said to arrive in 2021 with custom Apple chip

124»

Comments

• Reply 62 of 78
    aknabiaknabi Posts: 211member
    k2kw said:
    Hopefully this will come with iPadOS and not MacOS.    This makes me wonder when we will see multiple accounts on iPadOS.   An iPadOS based laptop would be all most people who purchase the macBookAir need.  One more step on the way to the universalOS able to adopt to multiple form factors.  It was obvious that this was slowly coming when Apple rolled out trackpad support and the new iPP keyboard.   May still take 5 years but it is definitely on its way.
    But then why have a a MB, MBAir with Arm with iPadOS when you have the iPad 11/12.9 with the Magic Keyboard? I think that's SKUing it up and causes confusion (and I think most would choose the iPad/MK combo). Maybe Apple would get better margins with a iPadOS MB/MBAir... but don't think that relates to the market.
  • Reply 63 of 78
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    blastdoor said:
    So, what does this mean for Intel?

They can't do modems.
    They aren't that great at doing GPU's
    They're CPUs can be replaced.

In a similar situation 40 years ago U.S. Steel bought an oil company and National Steel bought a drug distribution business.
    So, what should Intel diversify into?
    This.

With both Amazon and Apple moving to dump Intel in favor of in-house ARM designs fabbed by TSMC, the future does not look bright for Intel. 

On the one hand, Intel totally deserves it -- this is the result of arrogance and complacency, pure and simple. 

But on the other hand, I worry about this from a US national security perspective. I mean, good for TSMC -- they've accomplished a lot. But the PLA is a hop, skip, and a jump away. 

I'd like to see Apple do some joint ventures with TSMC to build fabs further away from China. It doesn't even have to be the US -- put them in Japan or Germany -- but can we get a little distance from the red army please?

Yeh, that's true.
    But it assumes that the Trump's hatred of competition means that China is an enemy.   They aren't.  They are a competitor as well as a partner.  
    To Trump though, competitor and enemy are one in the same.  He can't tell the difference.  So he uses his propaganda machine to spin up fear and hatred of China.  It's just how he works.

That said, it's just a matter of time until China re-assimilates Taiwan.   To them and to everybody else but Trump, Taiwan is a renegade part of China.   When the time is right they will assimilate back into the mother country.
  • Reply 64 of 78
    larryjw said:
    seankill said:
    FPRoyal said:
    There's no way this thing doesn't run some version of ios. I realize we may not like it, but Apple currently has basically two product lines: one of them is synonymous with success and money and the other has been on some version of life support since its inception.

Especially on the low end, Apple sells MacBooks to college freshman who have their whole lives invested in their iPhone, but who use their Mac *exclusively* to "run" googledocs.  And if a file ever does download to their harddrive, they have no idea how to find it.

If this thing runs iOS, it’ll never get my dollar. iOS is great for what it is but still sucks compared to Windows or MacOS when doing serious work. Just shifting files around on iOS is a nightmare. 

The day MacOS goes, is the day I’ll buy my last MAC. 
    You seem to be putting a lot of stock in the mere names used for operating systems. Any well-architected software allows supporting multiple hardware architectures by moving pieces of the OS to different platforms. Apple can call it anything they like. 

Well, no.   The difference in iOS and MacOS is not just the name.
    iOS was derived from MacOS in order to create a simple, basic OS suitable to a mobile device.
    MacOS remains a more complex powerful OS with additional capabilities not well suited to a mobile device.

While they have a fair amount of overlap (particularly as you get into iPadOS), they are not the same and are not meant to be the same.  They serve different purposes.
  • Reply 65 of 78
    jasenj1 said:
    What does this imply for Windows VMs and BootCamp? Like it or not, the business world is still dominated by Windows, and being able to run Windows is a must have for many people.

Apple dominates in the phone & tablet markets, and can support custom CPUs there, but do they really want to take on the desktop CPU world? Or are Intel & AMD saddled with lots of legacy cruft that Apple would be well-served to get away from? But I still fear becoming too divergent from the dominant desktop CPU architecture will end up hurting them.
    That's true.  But it's not just the business world that is dominated by Windows, the education system is as well.
    My grandson asked for a MacBook for Christmas so I got him a nice, new shiny MBA.   He tried using it but just got frustrated because he wasn't able to maneuver MacOS.  He learned desktop computing from school and he knew how to maneuver in Windows but MacOS was a stranger to him.

So, shortly afterwards I found myself installing Windows 10 under Bootcamp for him.   Now he's happy as a clam with his Windows 10 MacBook Air.

• Reply 66 of 78
    blastdoor said:
    I'd like to see Apple do some joint ventures with TSMC to build fabs further away from China. It doesn't even have to be the US -- put them in Japan or Germany -- but can we get a little distance from the red army please?
    TSMC is in Taiwan.  It does have factories in China, but for lower end customers.  It does have facilitates in the U.S.
    I know. But China views Taiwan as a renegade province that they may choose to take by force whenever it suits them. 

As time goes by, China's capacity to actually do that increases and the US' capacity/interest in stopping them decreases. 

And then of course there's the potential influence of Chinese spies. 

Bottom line --- it is not safe for the US to become dependent on chips fabbed in Taiwan. 

While that is true, what is the option?  
    Regardless of political posturing from politicians, industry is always going to migrate to the highest quality, lowest cost performers.  Right now that's China / Taiwan.

One can fight it but never beat it.   It's survival of the fittest and the fittest will survive.
  • Reply 67 of 78
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,701member
    jasenj1 said:
    What does this imply for Windows VMs and BootCamp? Like it or not, the business world is still dominated by Windows, and being able to run Windows is a must have for many people.

Apple dominates in the phone & tablet markets, and can support custom CPUs there, but do they really want to take on the desktop CPU world? Or are Intel & AMD saddled with lots of legacy cruft that Apple would be well-served to get away from? But I still fear becoming too divergent from the dominant desktop CPU architecture will end up hurting them.
    That's true.  But it's not just the business world that is dominated by Windows, the education system is as well.
    My grandson asked for a MacBook for Christmas so I got him a nice, new shiny MBA.   He tried using it but just got frustrated because he wasn't able to maneuver MacOS.  He learned desktop computing from school and he knew how to maneuver in Windows but MacOS was a stranger to him.

So, shortly afterwards I found myself installing Windows 10 under Bootcamp for him.   Now he's happy as a clam with his Windows 10 MacBook Air.

"But it's not just the business world that is dominated by Windows, the education system is as well."

Not if Google, with ChromeOS, has anything to say about it.
    edited April 2020
  • Reply 68 of 78
    blastdoor said:

They can't do modems.

In a similar situation 40 years ago U.S. Steel bought an oil company and National Steel bought a drug distribution business.
    This.

With both Amazon and Apple moving to dump Intel in favor of in-house ARM designs fabbed by TSMC, the future does not look bright for Intel. 

On the one hand, Intel totally deserves it -- this is the result of arrogance and complacency, pure and simple. 

But on the other hand, I worry about this from a US national security perspective. I mean, good for TSMC -- they've accomplished a lot. But the PLA is a hop, skip, and a jump away. 

Yeh, that's true.
    But it assumes that the Trump's hatred of competition means that China is an enemy.   They aren't.  They are a competitor as well as a partner.  
    To Trump though, competitor and enemy are one in the same.  He can't tell the difference.  So he uses his propaganda machine to spin up fear and hatred of China.  It's just how he works.

That said, it's just a matter of time until China re-assimilates Taiwan.   To them and to everybody else but Trump, Taiwan is a renegade part of China.   When the time is right they will assimilate back into the mother country.
    Maybe.  That depends how loudly Taiwan can scream human rights violations and get the rest of the developed world to rally around them.
    edited April 2020 GG1
  • Reply 69 of 78
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    revenant said:
    wasn't this the same publication that said apple had Chinese spy chips in their devices? i mean, everyone is saying that apple is going in this direction, but it is hard for me to take all of the details in this Bloomsburg article seriously 
    Bloomberg wasn't the first to report on it, it was among the first. The report isn't even close to the first one discussing it.

And there's a lot more in iOS and Xcode suggesting that this is the case.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 70 of 78
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member

They can't do modems.

Intel is eol.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 71 of 78
    larryjw said:
    seankill said:
    FPRoyal said:
    There's no way this thing doesn't run some version of ios. I realize we may not like it, but Apple currently has basically two product lines: one of them is synonymous with success and money and the other has been on some version of life support since its inception.

Especially on the low end, Apple sells MacBooks to college freshman who have their whole lives invested in their iPhone, but who use their Mac *exclusively* to "run" googledocs.  And if a file ever does download to their harddrive, they have no idea how to find it.

If this thing runs iOS, it’ll never get my dollar. iOS is great for what it is but still sucks compared to Windows or MacOS when doing serious work. Just shifting files around on iOS is a nightmare. 

The day MacOS goes, is the day I’ll buy my last MAC. 
    You seem to be putting a lot of stock in the mere names used for operating systems. Any well-architected software allows supporting multiple hardware architectures by moving pieces of the OS to different platforms. Apple can call it anything they like. 

Well, no.   The difference in iOS and MacOS is not just the name.
    iOS was derived from MacOS in order to create a simple, basic OS suitable to a mobile device.
    MacOS remains a more complex powerful OS with additional capabilities not well suited to a mobile device.

While they have a fair amount of overlap (particularly as you get into iPadOS), they are not the same and are not meant to be the same.  They serve different purposes.
    iOS is macOS sans several libraries and added memory and processor constraints and a specific UI mode. It is created at a time when embedded devices had very limited processor capabilities compared to desktop computers.
    That difference is now gone and the need for separate OSs is gone. Some extra constraint/resource handling is needed and some extra UI modes have to be added to macOS, but that is it.
    tht
  • Reply 72 of 78

blastdoor said:
    TSMC is in Taiwan.  It does have factories in China, but for lower end customers.  It does have facilitates in the U.S.
    I know. But China views Taiwan as a renegade province that they may choose to take by force whenever it suits them. 

As time goes by, China's capacity to actually do that increases and the US' capacity/interest in stopping them decreases. 

Bottom line --- it is not safe for the US to become dependent on chips fabbed in Taiwan. 

Regardless of political posturing from politicians, industry is always going to migrate to the highest quality, lowest cost performers.  Right now that's China / Taiwan.

One can fight it but never beat it.   It's survival of the fittest and the fittest will survive.
    Darwin is mostly misquoted, as you do. It is better understood as ‘survival of the most adapt’.
    Now for survival all of the environment counts, not economic considerations alone.
    One recent element is added: Corona, and its consequences.
    This means that China/Taiwan isn't so fit in the longer run, due to product delivering delays and human animal right  violations etc.
    Suddenly producing locally is a much better option, and survival means recognizing this and acting on it.

• Reply 73 of 78
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    blastdoor said:

They can't do modems.

This.

Yeh, that's true.

Maybe.  That depends how loudly Taiwan can scream human rights violations and get the rest of the developed world to rally around them.
    And how did that pan out when Hong Kong did the same?…
    Liberty (ironically) cries “human rights abuse”.
    Communism ignores.
    Liberty imposes sanctions.
    Communism releases COVID-20 (new & improved) knowing it’ll hurt us more than itself.

We can’t poke the Chinese Dragon & ride the retaliation like we did the Afghan bear.
  • Reply 74 of 78
    blastdoor said:

They can't do modems.

This.

Yeh, that's true.

The American right and Trump are the only ones rallying around Taiwan independence.  But they tend to think that they ARE the world.
  • Reply 75 of 78
    knowitall said:

blastdoor said:

Darwin is mostly misquoted, as you do. It is better understood as ‘survival of the most adapt’.
    Now for survival all of the environment counts, not economic considerations alone.
    This means that China/Taiwan isn't so fit in the longer run, due to product delivering delays and human animal right  violations etc.
    Suddenly producing locally is a much better option, and survival means recognizing this and acting on it.

Well, no...  Viruses can develop and migrate to other species anywhere, and they have and they will continue to do so.   The most popular path has been factory farms which are not unique, by any stretch, to China.

As for human rights, the U.S. has no right to be critical.

As for survival of the fittest versus survival of the most adaptable:   China wins either way.   They not only are the highest quality, lowest cost producers, but often they are chosen because they have the manufacturing infrastructure to produce whatever might come up quickly and efficiently:  the typical example is a business that needs a new, unique type of screw -- in China there is always somebody ready, able and willing to produce it.   The U.S. used to have the same.   But as Japan decimated our basic industries back in the 80's, those ancillary, support industries started to fail also.  Or, another example is the Corona virus:   China adapted and brought it under control quickly -- the U.S. is drowning in it, unable to produce a simple mask and its infrastructure fractured, scattered. fighting with each other and working against each other.  Our poor showing is an example of how far we have sunk --  that is largely due to 20 years of attacks on government and governmental functions being turned over to private enterprise -- whose loyalties go to their shareholders rather than the country.   An example is our once proud CDC -- for 20 years its functions have been slowly stripped and dispersed out to private organizations so now, when it is most needed, it is unable to take a lead role in this national disaster.
    edited April 2020
  • Reply 76 of 78
    knowitall said:

blastdoor said:

Well, no...  Viruses can develop and migrate to other species anywhere, and they have and they will continue to do so.   The most popular path has been factory farms which are not unique, by any stretch, to China.

As for survival of the fittest versus survival of the most adaptable:   China wins either way.   They not only are the highest quality, lowest cost producers, but often they are chosen because they have the manufacturing infrastructure to produce whatever might come up quickly and efficiently:  the typical example is a business that needs a new, unique type of screw -- in China there is always somebody ready, able and willing to produce it.   The U.S. used to have the same.   But as Japan decimated our basic industries back in the 80's, those ancillary, support industries started to fail also.  Or, another example is the Corona virus:   China adapted and brought it under control quickly -- the U.S. is drowning in it, unable to produce a simple mask and its infrastructure fractured, scattered. fighting with each other and working against each other.  Our poor showing is an example of how far we have sunk --  that is largely due to 20 years of attacks on government and governmental functions being turned over to private enterprise -- whose loyalties go to their shareholders rather than the country.   An example is our once proud CDC -- for 20 years its functions have been slowly stripped and dispersed out to private organizations so now, when it is most needed, it is unable to take a lead role in this national disaster.
    Never too late to course correct
  • Reply 77 of 78
    knowitall said:

blastdoor said:

Never too late to course correct

I TOTALLY, 100% agree that we not only can course correct but that we must if we want to compete with China and the rest of the world.

But populist, bandaid solutions won't get us there.
    Ultimately, the world runs on free market principles and we will win or lose on that playing field.
  • Reply 78 of 78
    revenantrevenant Posts: 621member
    revenant said:
    wasn't this the same publication that said apple had Chinese spy chips in their devices? i mean, everyone is saying that apple is going in this direction, but it is hard for me to take all of the details in this Bloomsburg article seriously 
    Bloomberg wasn't the first to report on it, it was among the first. The report isn't even close to the first one discussing it.

And there's a lot more in iOS and Xcode suggesting that this is the case.

not sure where i mentioned bloomberg was the first to report on it ("i mean, everyone is saying that apple is going this direction"). and by "it" i assume you mean leaving intel. nevertheless, i cannot find anything before the april 2018 reporting--so i am not certain who else was discussing it--not as a fun opinion, but seriously stating apple will make their own chips for the mac, using "kalamata" "icestorm" and "firestorm". only stating i am not ready to take in all of their words as truth, never said no truth was to be found in the article (or the 2018 one). i myself am all for it.