Apple releases third developer betas of iOS 13.5, macOS 10.15.5, watchOS 6.2.5, tvOS 13.4....

Posted:
in iOS edited April 2020
Apple is now on its third round of developer betas, with new builds of macOS 10.15.5, tvOS 13.4.5, and watchOS 6.2.5 now available to developers.

The latest builds can be acquired from the Apple Developer Center for participants in the Developer Beta program, as well as via an over-the-air update for hardware already used for beta software. Public beta versions of the developer builds are usually issued within a few days of their counterparts, and can be acquired from the Apple Beta Software Program site.

The third round including the renamed iOS 13.5 and iPadOS 13.5 takes over from the builds provided by Apple on April 15. The first batch of builds were issued on March 31 for iOS 13.4.5, iPadOS 13.4.5, and tvOS 13.4.5, while watchOS 6.2.5's build appeared on April 1.

Release notes for the builds haven't yet provided details of what major feature changes were made in each operating system, beyond the first support for coronavirus Exposure Notification in Wednesday's iOS 13.5 beta, with Apple otherwise only advising of the usual bug fixes and improvements. Given the version numbering, as well as relative proximity to WWDC 2020, it is plausible that it largely consists of a maintenance release.

Alone, the software hooks in iOS 13.5 for Exposure Notification don't do anything on their own, and require an app for functionality, which is not available at this time.

Examination of previous builds uncovered an option for Apple Music subscribers to share what they're listening to in Facebook and Instagram stories.

AppleInsider, and Apple itself, strongly recommend users don't install the betas on to "mission-critical" or primary devices, as there is the remote possibility of data loss or other issues. Instead, testers should install betas onto secondary or non-essential devices, and to make sure there are sufficient backups of important data before updating.

Find any changes in the new betas? Reach out to us on Twitter at @AppleInsider or @Andrew_OSU, or send Andrew an email at [email protected].

Update: Apple has released a public beta version of iOS 13.5 for testing.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Mojave maxed out at 10.14.6. I wonder where Catalina will end up with WWDC in June (maybe virtual WWDC). Could 10.15.5 be it or will we get a last 10.15.6 before the next macOS is announced? On my late 2013 27” iMac 14,2 Catalina is running really smooth and stable. Not much to complain about. 
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Brand spanking new MacBook Pro 16" crashes on wake--every time--when power nap is enabled (in process of getting replaed).  Here's hoping the update will address this issue.  Apparently I'm not the only one (check out the comments): 
  • Reply 3 of 10
    I'm just hoping that there really is a bug in watchos (or iOS?) that's fixed in this next version. For whatever reason my S2 Watch has been very intermittent with alerts since 6.2. Nothing else has changed, but I can get an alert for a message and then 10 minutes later I'll look at my phone and have 5 messages with zero alerts on/from my watch. There don't seem to be any other reports of this from what I could tell. Restoring (reinstalling) both the phone and the watch didn't help... (and like others, 6.2 and 6.2.1 was NOT simple to install on my watch) [/rant]
  • Reply 4 of 10
    I'm just hoping that there really is a bug in watchos (or iOS?) that's fixed in this next version. For whatever reason my S2 Watch has been very intermittent with alerts since 6.2. Nothing else has changed, but I can get an alert for a message and then 10 minutes later I'll look at my phone and have 5 messages with zero alerts on/from my watch. There don't seem to be any other reports of this from what I could tell. Restoring (reinstalling) both the phone and the watch didn't help... (and like others, 6.2 and 6.2.1 was NOT simple to install on my watch) [/rant]
    Yes, I have had similar issues with my watch. I am constantly going into the watch settings on my phone to reset sync on it. Not sure what the recent issues have been and why I'm not getting notifications all of a sudden.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    strikeystrikey Posts: 10member
    Brand spanking new MacBook Pro 16" crashes on wake--every time--when power nap is enabled (in process of getting replaed).  Here's hoping the update will address this issue.  Apparently I'm not the only one (check out the comments): 
    Wish Appleinsider took more notice of feedback like this, the state of Apple's software is despicable. (I LOL'd at the timely "How to use recovery mode" post). As an innumerable amount of other users have pointed out to apple, to deaf ears. I myself have a BRAND NEW, less than a week old, very expensive 16inch MacBook Pro that will crash on sleep when plugged into power. Disabling power nap seems to fix the issue, nothing else does. ALSO, oftentimes when waking from a non-powered sleep, the built-in keyboard and trackpad take almost 30 seconds to "connect" to the computer... its just not good enough. Catalina has been a clusterfire.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,837administrator
    strikey said:
    Wish Appleinsider took more notice of feedback like this, the state of Apple's software is despicable. (I LOL'd at the timely "How to use recovery mode" post). As an innumerable amount of other users have pointed out to apple, to deaf ears. I myself have a BRAND NEW, less than a week old, very expensive 16inch MacBook Pro that will crash on sleep when plugged into power. Disabling power nap seems to fix the issue, nothing else does. ALSO, oftentimes when waking from a non-powered sleep, the built-in keyboard and trackpad take almost 30 seconds to "connect" to the computer... its just not good enough. Catalina has been a clusterfire.
    We do. The experience is not consistent across the entire 16-inch MBP line, nor with every user and not even close to a majority. When there's something concrete to say, we'll be on it, like we were with the 2016 keyboard and the thermal issue with the 2018 i9 MBP at launch.

There were fewer issues software with Catalina than there were with Mojave. Mojave had more than High Sierra.

You know which macOS was the most buggy at launch, excluding the original X betas, and 10.1? Snow Leopard. That didn't start to settle down until about nine months after launch.

For now, though, my advice with this is document it with Apple Support. While we pay attention to feedback, the only thing they pay attention to are service case numbers.
    edited April 2020 caladanianfastasleep
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    strikey said:
    We do. The experience is not consistent across the entire 16-inch MBP line, nor with every user and not even close to a majority. When there's something concrete to say, we'll be on it, like we were with the 2016 keyboard and the thermal issue with the 2018 i9 MBP at launch.

There were fewer issues software with Catalina than there were with Mojave. Mojave had more than High Sierra.

You know which macOS was the most buggy at launch, excluding the original X betas, and 10.1? Snow Leopard. That didn't start to settle down until about nine months after launch.

For now, though, my advice with this is document it with Apple Support. While we pay attention to feedback, the only thing they pay attention to are service case numbers.
    Er … wasn’t Snow Leopard the “stability release”?
  • Reply 8 of 10
    strikeystrikey Posts: 10member
    strikey said:

Touche. I appreciate the reply. How about a monthly column for slightly significant bugs affecting a slightly significant number of users? I feel like something similar existed way back when. Surely more useful than that ridiculous crime blotter :D It would go a long way for us frustrated Mac heads who feel forgotten about.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,837administrator
    Rayz2016 said:
    strikey said:

Er … wasn’t Snow Leopard the “stability release”?
    It sure was.

It certainly turned into that, just not at launch.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,398member
    I noticed I didn't get an alert on my Watch for an iMessage I received the other day, been meaning to watch it more closely for other errors.