Apple updates COVID-19 screening app with updated symptoms, mask tips

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple on Friday updated its COVID-19 screening app with new information about coronavirus symptoms and tips related to face masks.

Apple's informational COVID-19 screening app was released in March.
Apple's informational COVID-19 screening app was released in March.

The Cupertino tech giant launched its COVID-19 tool in late March, giving iPhone users another way to stay informed during the coronavirus pandemic. In April, Apple added links to state-level guidance and tips for personal self-care.

On May 1, Apple issued a new version of the app with updated symptom information and recommendations from the latest Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) guidance.

According to the CDC, new symptoms that could be signs of COVID-19 include chills, shaking with chills, muscle pain, headache, sore throat and loss of smell or taste.

The app has also been updated with tips related to cloth masks, including creating a mask, when and how to properly wear a mask, and how to sanitize it.

Alongside the app update, Apple also added the new information and tips to its COVID-19 webpage.

The COVID-19 app, which was developed in collaboration the CDC, FEMA and Coronavirus Task Force, is available as a free download on the App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    When I am outside walking around, I see quite a few people who are wearing masks, but the masks are not covering their noses! The mask is below their nostrils!

I can only imagine that these are the same kind of people that use their phones in portrait mode when shooting video. You can't fix stupid I guess.
    lkruppseanjwilliamlondon
  • Reply 2 of 8
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    apple ][ said:
    When I am outside walking around, I see quite a few people who are wearing masks, but the masks are not covering their noses! The mask is below their nostrils!

I can only imagine that these are the same kind of people that use their phones in portrait mode when shooting video. You can't fix stupid I guess.
    Yes, you can’t fix stupid and it’s why we have the tin badge dictators we have controlling our lives at the moment. What really irks me is how these assholes will be patting themselves on their backs claiming they saved the world from Covid-19 when things settle down.
    redraider11williamlondon
  • Reply 3 of 8
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    lkrupp said:
    apple ][ said:

Yes, you can’t fix stupid and it’s why we have the tin badge dictators we have controlling our lives at the moment. What really irks me is how these assholes will be patting themselves on their backs claiming they saved the world from Covid-19 when things settle down.
    Oh, boo hoo. I suppose you'd be happier if we all went about things as if nothing was happening, overloaded our hospitals, and ended up with millions more dead instead? "These assholes" are literally saving lives by slowing the spread of this thing to a level we can realistically deal with. You big babies are not helping.
    WorldspinningGeorgeBMacminicoffeewilliamlondon
  • Reply 4 of 8
    redraider11redraider11 Posts: 186member
    lkrupp said:
    apple ][ said:

Oh, boo hoo. I suppose you'd be happier if we all went about things as if nothing was happening, overloaded our hospitals, and ended up with millions more dead instead? "These assholes" are literally saving lives by slowing the spread of this thing to a level we can realistically deal with. You big babies are not helping.
    A pair of underwear and thick pair of denim jeans can’t stop a fart from stinking up the room, but these homemade masks are supposed to stop a virus from spreading? Riiigghhtt. 
  • Reply 5 of 8
    lkrupp said:
    apple ][ said:

A pair of underwear and thick pair of denim jeans can’t stop a fart from stinking up the room, but these homemade masks are supposed to stop a virus from spreading? Riiigghhtt. 
    Well, if you crapped yourself with no underwear or jeans on it'd get everywhere.  Just like if you cough or sneeze without a mask it will spread more easily.  The idea is to protect others from you if you have it and don't know it.  So yeah, of course homemade masks are not 100% effective but they're better than nothing.
    GeorgeBMacminicoffeeseanjretrogusto
  • Reply 6 of 8
    A pair of underwear and thick pair of denim jeans can’t stop a fart from stinking up the room, but these homemade masks are supposed to stop a virus from spreading? Riiigghhtt. That
    That's about the stupidest comment I've ever read on this forum.  A fart is a GAS, composed of molecules, whereas viruses are PARTICLES.  Look up the difference.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    lkrupp said:
    apple ][ said:

If your farts are an aerosolized liquid droplet mist, seek medical attention immediately. You have more to worry about than this forum.
    edited May 2020 GeorgeBMacseanjfastasleepbeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 8 of 8
    A pair of underwear and thick pair of denim jeans can’t stop a fart from stinking up the room, but these homemade masks are supposed to stop a virus from spreading? Riiigghhtt. That
    That's about the stupidest comment I've ever read on this forum.  A fart is a GAS, composed of molecules, whereas viruses are PARTICLES.  Look up the difference.
    I 100% agree, but just for clarification, I didn't say that about farts... redraider11 did.
    minicoffee