Rumor: 'watchOS 7' could help Apple Watch detect panic attacks

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited June 2020
Apple is supposedly developing new mental health features for the Apple Watch line that allow the wearable to detect panic attacks, with the capability potentially slated for launch with a next-generation "watchOS 7" this fall.

According to serial leaker Jon Prosser, who appeared on the "Geared Up" podcast this week, Apple is working on a new Apple Watch hardware and software function that can recognize panic attacks.

The system will use a new blood oxygen sensor, coupled with specialized software, to detect when a user is hyperventilating, Prosser said. Hyperventilation, an elevated heart rate and shortness of breath are symptoms of panic attacks that can be quantified by existing or rumored Watch hardware.

"They can take the oxygen levels in your blood, with your heart rate, and determine if you're hyperventilating," Prosser said of Apple's project. "They can identify a panic attack before it happens and warn you on your watch. Especially if you're driving, they'll ask you to pull over and they'll offer breathing exercises once you get pulled over. It's incredible."

Whether the hardware will be sensitive enough to alert users to a panic attack before it occurs remains unclear.

Prosser "hopes" the feature will be introduced at WWDC 2020 in June, though Apple might hold off an announcement until a new Apple Watch debuts this fall. Alternatively, it could be a 2021 release. The method is unlikely to see an unveiling at WWDC in watchOS 7 if it relies on unreleased hardware, though there is a possibility that the system pulls data from existing Apple Watch sensors.

Apple Watch's plethysmograph heart rate sensor technology, which debuted with the first Watch model in 2015, is technically capable of measuring blood oxygen levels. Why the company has not elected to take advantage of the ability is not known, but the decision could be related to system accuracy or regulatory approval.

Prosser's claims expand on reports in March that pegged Apple to integrate a working blood oxygen sensor and updated ECG hardware in a so-called "Apple Watch Series 6" device later this year. A supposed leak last week hinted at the inclusion of a pulse oximeter and the ability to detect "mental health abnormalities."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    emoelleremoeller Posts: 574member
    I wish Apple would introduce a pulse oximeter NOW, even it if is not 100% accurate as it could provide an individual baseline for potential CoVid-19 lung issues.  I think it would be better than some of the Chinese pulse oximeters now sod on places like Amazon, which are not FDA approved.
    bageljoeydigitolAndy.HardwakePetrolDaveseanjGeorgeBMacjony0
  • Reply 2 of 24
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    emoeller said:
    I wish Apple would introduce a pulse oximeter NOW, even it if is not 100% accurate as it could provide an individual baseline for potential CoVid-19 lung issues.  I think it would be better than some of the Chinese pulse oximeters now sod on places like Amazon, which are not FDA approved.
    I know!  I’ve been reading more and more about apparently asymptomatic people actually actually suffering critically low blood oxygen levels. I wish Apple had this out now too!
    jony0
  • Reply 3 of 24
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    I get a panic attack when I consider spending that much money on a watch.  
    digitolrazorpittoysandme
  • Reply 4 of 24
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,422member
    I had panic disorder and I read a study that could accurately predict when a person is about to have a panic attack. It's so fascinating because it could tell a couple of hours BEFORE it begins by measuring heart rate and its beats. Exactly how it works, I am not sure but they could tell if a person is about to have an attack. When I had a panic attack, the physical symptoms would come out of blue but apparently, subconsciously, it's been brewing for a while.
    doozydozenPetrolDavetoysandmejony0
  • Reply 6 of 24
    tommikeletommikele Posts: 599member
    emoeller said:
    A medical device used to diagnose and/or treat a very contagious and potentially deadly virus that was not 100% accurate would be okay with you? I understand and share your goal, but ,what you suggest is not okay regardless of who the company is.
    mike1Rayz2016amarkaplolliver
  • Reply 7 of 24
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    The panic attack warning going off all the time would probably give me another panic attack.
    doozydozendigitolElCapitan
  • Reply 8 of 24
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,024member
    emoeller said:
    Apple don't like to half ass things, no matter what their customer base think from time to time. I wouldn't doubt it if they are working on something like this for Apple Series 7 but would be very impressed if they were working on it for the Series 6 for this year.
  • Reply 9 of 24
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    emoeller said:

Fortunately, Apple has a greater sense of responsibility than you.

razorpitcaladanianlolliver
  • Reply 10 of 24
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    Rayz2016 said:
    As does the FDA.
  • Reply 11 of 24
    svanstromsvanstrom Posts: 702member
    anome said:
    The panic attack warning going off all the time would probably give me another panic attack.
    I honestly get a lil bit upset every time I see someone say that, because it perpetuates the idea that panic attacks are nothing more than what we talk about when we say that socially.

If you instead view if from the perspective of a serious debilitating problem, and not a sort of manageable inconvenience, then saying what you said is basically the same as saying that getting a notification about having a heart attack would be bad, because it'd give you a heart attack getting it. Which obviously would be a joke.

But when talking about "panic attacks", then the relatable thing would be the "panic attacks" that we talk about colloquially; which is as far from a real debilitating problem as a colloquially talked about "heart attack" (as in a minor scare).

There's also a matter of scale here… On the lesser side of "panic attack" your watch could simply ask you to do breathing exercises; and on the more serious side of things we have that if the watch can recognise a proper panic attack, then it can use that data to better differentiate between that and what actually is a potentially deadly physical problem (like a heart attack).

So, hey, this is absolutely a bit of a pet peeve for me, but there's also a serious side to it; and I think that it'd be a good thing if more people realised the good that a "panic attack-detector" could do in their watches. It might just be the thing that makes it possible for the watch to one day call an ambulance because it with close to 100% certainty detects you dying.
    Ofer
  • Reply 12 of 24
    seanjseanj Posts: 318member
    Supposedly the hardware to perform measurements of oxygen in the blood is already in the Apple Watch 4 onwards. It’s just an issue of Apple getting its software certified by the medical authorities in various jurisdictions - which rightly is a demanding process.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    emoeller said:

From comments I've seen on a medical forum SpO2 levels are not a great way to predict or diagnose CoVid-19 as it drops fairly late in the process because the body marshals multiple compensatory processes in order to keep blood oxygen levels normal.  So, SpO2 only drops late in the process.  Heart rate is one of those compensatory changes that take place.  So, measuring changes in heart rate (presumably resting heart rate) seems to be more predictive and has even been proposed as a means of monitoring the spread of the virus into and through a region. 

That's not to say that SpO2 is worthless or shouldn't be monitored -- actually I check and record mine as well as my temperature and resting heart rate everyday.  (If nothing else its reassuring to see 99-100% pop-up on the screen.)
    toysandme
  • Reply 14 of 24
    NinjaManNinjaMan Posts: 64member
    as someone with a panic disorder/anxiety this would only feed in to the condition and cause people to become obsessed with the readings. I actually had to stop wearing my Apple Watch because I found myself consistently checking my heart rate when I started to feel panic which then created a vicious cycle of feeling panic, seeing heart rate go up which would bring more panic and I would check again to see if it went down as I tried to calm down...wash, rinse, repeat.
    bonobobtoysandme
  • Reply 15 of 24
    svanstromsvanstrom Posts: 702member
    NinjaMan said:
    as someone with a panic disorder/anxiety this would only feed in to the condition and cause people to become obsessed with the readings. I actually had to stop wearing my Apple Watch because I found myself consistently checking my heart rate when I started to feel panic which then created a vicious cycle of feeling panic, seeing heart rate go up which would bring more panic and I would check again to see if it went down as I tried to calm down...wash, rinse, repeat.
    Every tool isn't for every person.
    lolliver
  • Reply 16 of 24
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,375member
    emoeller said:
    A pulse oximeter would be generally useful in a wide range of ongoing health related diagnoses and monitoring use cases beyond the current crisis.

The slippery slope that Apple has to navigate here is how to cross line between health data acquisition/symptom identification and medical condition diagnosis. So far they seem to be doing a pretty good job of recognizing that there is a necessary handoff process to go from the identification of potential symptoms and the need to engage medical professionals. As Apple goes deeper and broader in their health data acquisition coverage they’ll have to get even more buy-in and acceptance from the medical community. They’ll also have to make sure that Apple Watch customers do not view these devices as a replacement or alternative to engaging a medical professional. Getting the buy-in and acceptance from the medical community and an understanding from users that the Apple Watch is a supplement and not a replacement for their personal health management regimen is very critical. I would not be surprised if, at some point, your doctor can write you a prescription for an Apple Watch, perhaps in connection with the watch uploading data to a site where it can be reviewed by your doctor. Maybe they’ll be a “Med” version of the Apple Watch that has live data linking?
  • Reply 17 of 24
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    macgui said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    As does the FDA.
    As of late I have more faith in Apple.   ;)
    bonoboblollivertoysandme
  • Reply 18 of 24
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    I wish my Apple Watch could detect the presence of a Libertarian or a Trump supporter, never mind I would see they were not wearing masks.
    GeorgeBMacOfer
  • Reply 19 of 24
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    razorpit said:
    macgui said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    As does the FDA.
    As of late I have more faith in Apple.   ;)
    That's exactly what corporate America has been hoping for, distrust our civil institutions and embrace the INC
    GeorgeBMacOfer
  • Reply 20 of 24
    NinjaManNinjaMan Posts: 64member
    svanstrom said:
    NinjaMan said:
    Every tool isn't for every person.
    what's your tool for managing panic and anxiety?