Apple TV+ inks first-look deal with Ridley Scott's Scott Free Productions

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple has signed a first-look television deal with Ridley Scott's Scott Free Productions to get a first crack at content for the Apple TV+ streaming service.

Ridley Scott is known for films like
Ridley Scott is known for films like "Top Gun" and "The Matrian," as well as for directing Apple's iconic "1984" ad spot.

Under the new multi-year deal, Scott Free Productions will develop global TV projects for Apple TV+. They will be spearheaded and executive produced by Ridley Scott himself, as well as Scott Free's core executive team of David Zucker, Clayton Krueger and Jordan Sheehan.

According to Variety, Apple won Scott Free's signature in what is described as a "pretty competitive" environment.

Scott Free is a 25-year-old production company known for succesful films like "Top Gun," "Gladiator" and "The Martian," as well as TV series like "The Good Wife," "The Man in the High Castle" and "The Terror" It has earned more than 100 Emmy nominations, with 22 wins, and 28 Golden Globe nominations for its TV projects.

Of course, Scott is also known for directing Apple's famous "1984" Macintosh ad spot. The filmmaker is set to make its TV directorial debut on HBO Max's upcoming drama "Raised by Wolves."

In 2017, Apple Music secured the streaming rights for a Clive Davis documentary produced by Scott Free Productions, as well as The IM Global.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Looking more and more like Apple TV+ has a future after all. Hollywood has be pleased that all these tech companies are giving them business. More jobs for actors, producers, directors, crews.
    MacQcwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 9
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member

Ridley Scott is known for films like "Top Gun" and "The Matrian," as well as for directing Apple's iconic "1984" ad spot.
    OK, two errors there. Hard to tell which is worst. Attributing his brother's film to him, or misspelling the one he actually directed.

Besides, it could be argued he's better known for Alien and Blade Runner. And the Apple "1984" ad. Probably his three best known works.

EDIT: Fixed tags. Keep switching back and forth between forum software, lose track of how they work.

Also, I take it Raised By Wolves isn't a remake of the Caitlin Moran sitcom based on growing up in Wolverhampton.
    edited May 2020 SpamSandwichpscooter63
  • Reply 3 of 9
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Considering the dismal quality of Scott Free shows and movies after his brother jumped off the Vincent Thomas Bridge in Long Beach, California, this might be a last ditch effort for them. I’d rather they made a great looking cop-drama set in the Bladerunner universe for Apple+.
    edited May 2020 pscooter63trashman69
  • Reply 4 of 9
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I hope it's better than the latest Spielberg Apple TV offering. I found that to be disappointing.

I'm still holding out high hopes for the third Band of Brothers installment though.

Apple sure seems to be spending a bit of cash and giving it out to some big names. Hopefully those big names actually decide to put in some hard work and actually manage to deliver and make something good and not just use Apple as a source for free and easy cash.
    SpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 9
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    Scott Free Productions has one of the coolest film logos ever.  YouTube it, if you've forgotten.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 9
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,265member

AI, please fix the Top Gun credit.

I'd give Ridley a free pass because, IMO, he's made 4 masterpieces - Alien, Blade Runner, Kingdom of Heaven (Director's Cut) and Black Hawk Down.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 9
    danielswdanielsw Posts: 906member
    I've been a Scott Free fan since "Blade Runner"!

Cant' wait to see what he does for Apple TV+!

Is he doing "See"? Champing at the bit for more of those episodes!!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 9
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    Didn’t he also do “Brazil”?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 9
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member

AI, please fix the Top Gun credit.

I'd give Ridley a free pass because, IMO, he's made 4 masterpieces - Alien, Blade Runner, Kingdom of Heaven (Director's Cut) and Black Hawk Down.

Black Rain is a personal favourite of mine.
    cornchip said:
    Didn’t he also do “Brazil”?
    No, that was Terry Gilliam.
    edited May 2020 watto_cobra