Apple details retail changes in global store reopening plans

Posted:
in General Discussion edited May 2020
Apple has published details of how it intends to open up its stores to the public in a letter from retail chief Deirdre O'Brien, one that explains the iPhone maker's approach to reopening its stores and some of the extra measures its retail outlets will take in a few locations.

In a letter published on Sunday, O'Brien recounts Apple's response to COVID-19 so far, including its sourcing of more than 30 million masks and creation of over 10 million face shields, the design of software to help check for symptoms, and partnerships with US producers to deploy more than a million testing kits per week.

Part of its response was to close nearly all of its retail outlets globally. So far, Apple has been able to open up nearly 100 stores, with more planned for the future.

The letter attempts to share about how Apple is "carrying forward our commitment to care," including how it is affecting its decision-making, steps to keep stores safe, and how stores will look differently to its customers.

For store opening, Apple is "confident we can safely return to serving customers from our stores," with decisions on reopenings made using a variety of data, including local cases, near and long-term trends, and official guidance. "These are not decisions we rush into - and a store opening in no way means that we won't take the preventative step of closing it again should local conditions warrant," writes O'Brien.

Customers can check if their local store is reopening via the Find a Store search tool, and when they turn up at the outlet, O'Brien warns "you'll find yourself with plenty of space." Stores will have limited occupancy, with a renewed focus on "one-to-one, personalized service at the Genius Bar and throughout the store."

Face coverings will be required for both staff members and customers, with Apple providing masks if customers don't bring their own. Temperature checks and health questions will be made at the door, including screening for people who may have symptoms like a cough or fever, or who may have been exposed to someone infected with the virus.

"Throughout the day, we're conducting enhanced deep cleanings that place special emphasis on all surfaces, display products, and highly trafficked areas," the retail chief adds.

For many stores, there will be the opportunity to take advantage of curbside pick-up and drop-off, including shipping products to a store for collection if a home delivery is inconvenient. "And you can continue to find the same excellent standard of customer service and support online and over the phone to help you with any questions you might have."

The letter signs off by looking to the future, with O'Brien reminding the reader "The response to COVID-19 is still ongoing, and we recognize that the road back will have its twists and turns. But whatever challenges lie ahead, COVID-19 has only reinforced our faith in people - in our teams, in our customers, in our communities."

The letter then offers thanks for support in the coronavirus response, "whether that's volunteering, donating, sharing gratitude for our medical workers, or maintaining social distance to protect the health of our communities."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I hope that the Apple stores by me open up soon. They've been closed for far too long already.

I actually need to go to an Apple store soon, because I need to pick up a few things, and I want to see a few different models in person, before I make my decision.

I have personally declared that masks are no longer essential for myself, because when I went outside today to pick up a food order, I decided to not wear a mask, for the first time in a while. I've also noticed that many people who were outside were not wearing masks either. It felt good to breathe in regular, fresh air again.

Stores still require a mask, so I'll just carry one in my pocket and put it on quickly, if I need to enter any stores. I'll take it off as soon as I leave the store. It'll basically function as a prop.

The weather is getting to be too nice and too warm. and soon, more and more people will not be bothering.
    inTIMidator
  • Reply 2 of 43
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    My local stores are fortunately opening up tomorrow.  I’ve been needing to get my iPad Pro repaired/replaced and the online experience was completely useless.  I managed a little “retail therapy” last week at an “essential business”, so not sure if I will be purchasing anything major though.
  • Reply 3 of 43
    apple ][ said:
    I hope that the Apple stores by me open up soon. They've been closed for far too long already.

I actually need to go to an Apple store soon, because I need to pick up a few things, and I want to see a few different models in person, before I make my decision.

I have personally declared that masks are no longer essential for myself, because when I went outside today to pick up a food order, I decided to not wear a mask

I am so utterly appalled at your intensely self-centered "reasoning" that I struggle to find useful words. I'll leave it at this: there is a good chance you are going to get someone killed. Please don't do that.
    muthuk_vanalingamGeorgeBMacfastasleep
  • Reply 4 of 43
    apple ][ said:

I have personally declared that masks are no longer essential for myself, because when I went outside today to pick up a food order, I decided to not wear a mask

I am so utterly appalled at your intensely self-centered "reasoning" that I struggle to find useful words. I'll leave it at this: there is a good chance you are going to get someone killed. Please don't do that.

If anybody is overly concerned about getting killed, then I would suggest that they don't leave their homes. Nobody is forcing anybody to go outside. People are free to quarantine for as long as they'd like. What they do not have the right to, is to force their beliefs upon others and expect others to follow.
    atomic101
  • Reply 5 of 43
    hammeroftruthhammeroftruth Posts: 1,309member
    apple ][ said:

I have personally declared that masks are no longer essential for myself, because when I went outside today to pick up a food order, I decided to not wear a mask, for the first time in a while. I've also noticed that many people who were outside were not wearing masks either. It felt good to breathe in regular, fresh air again.

Stores still require a mask, so I'll just carry one in my pocket and put it on quickly, if I need to enter any stores. I'll take it off as soon as I leave the store. It'll basically function as a prop.

The weather is getting to be too nice and too warm. and soon, more and more people will not be bothering.
    You will probably want to put it on before getting in line to go into the store. Yes, there will be a line. 

I know you don’t think masks are essential, but until we can figure out how to prevent the spread of this by asymptomatic carriers, it would probably be a good idea to put one one before getting out of your vehicle, and if you don’t drive, before you leave your residence. 

It’s your life, and this may seem stupid and trivial, but there are a lot of people who thought the same thing and got sick and now are warning others this is NOT like getting the flu. 

If that isn’t enough for you to take better precautions, then good luck to you. 
    muthuk_vanalingamfastasleep
  • Reply 6 of 43
    apple ][ said:

"I have personally declared" LOL was this a grand announcement? did you tap your glass with a spoon to get everyone's attention??

Freedom comes with responsibility which seems like you're failing at. 

• Reply 7 of 43
    apple ][ said:
    apple ][ said:

If anybody is overly concerned about getting killed, then I would suggest that they don't leave their homes. Nobody is forcing anybody to go outside. People are free to quarantine for as long as they'd like. What they do not have the right to, is to force their beliefs upon others and expect others to follow.
    "overly concerned about getting killed." 
    GeorgeBMacddawson100fastasleep
  • Reply 8 of 43
    apple ][ said:
    apple ][ said:

Actually, they do and they did and they can. 
    In 1918 many states in the US required you to wear a mask by law that was enforced by fines or imprisonment. 
    Just like the enforcement of seat belts, and other safety precautions, they are based on state laws, not federal as prescribed by the constitution. 
    fastasleep
  • Reply 9 of 43
    Actually that was 1918, Science doesn’t agree on the issue now. Many experts have come out against the use of masks as cause serious risk and are ineffective protection anyway. Even in the hospital shields are better, hence Apple making them. 
  • Reply 10 of 43
    In 1918 many states in the US required you to wear a mask by law that was enforced by fines or imprisonment. 
    Just like the enforcement of seat belts, and other safety precautions, they are based on state laws, not federal as prescribed by the constitution. 
    I don't believe that there is any law requiring masks outside where I am located. If there is, it's not exactly being enforced too well, because plenty of people are not wearing masks. They can't arrest everybody. That is technically and logistically impossible.

I do believe that they are required in stores by some order of the Governor. I'm not sure if that's a law or not.

But, ultimately, I am the final decider of all laws and how they pertain to myself. I have a moral duty to not obey certain laws that I find to be illegal or unconstitutional. The state itself operates illegally, picking and choosing which laws to follow, such as their decision to be a sanctuary state, so I do not recognize their authority or legitimacy when it comes to certain laws. I also pick and choose what I follow.

Of course, I am fully prepared to take the consequences of all decisions that I make, be it a fine or anything else. The whole thing is a joke. You sometimes see cops not wearing masks who are harassing other people for not wearing masks.
  • Reply 11 of 43
    apple ][ said:
    I don't believe that there is any law requiring masks outside where I am located. If there is, it's not exactly being enforced too well, because plenty of people are not wearing masks. They can't arrest everybody. That is technically and logistically impossible.

I do believe that they are required in stores by some order of the Governor. I'm not sure if that's a law or not.

But, ultimately, I am the final decider of all laws and how they pertain to myself. I have a moral duty to not obey certain laws that I find to be illegal or unconstitutional. The state itself operates illegally, picking and choosing which laws to follow, such as their decision to be a sanctuary state, so I do not recognize their authority or legitimacy when it comes to certain laws. I also pick and choose what I follow.

Of course, I am fully prepared to take the consequences of all decisions that I make, be it a fine or anything else. The whole thing is a joke. You sometimes see cops not wearing masks who are harassing other people for not wearing masks.
    I’ve seen cops do it with seat belts and cellphones too. 

I certainly hope you are right and this is a joke, but if wearing a mask gives me a little bit more protection from this, then the inconvenience is worth it. 
    Same goes for seat belts, there have been many studies that have shown in some cases, seat belts have caused fatalities, but as a whole and personally being in several accidents, (that were not my fault btw), I can say I would be in a worse condition if I didn’t wear one. 

I personally know someone who went to NY to take care of a family member and got sick and doesn’t know how they contracted it. When this person got back, they explained it was the worse they have ever felt. This person was in their 20s and had no health issues. 

That’s good enough for me for now to wear one when I’m out in public. 
  • Reply 12 of 43
    I certainly hope you are right and this is a joke, but if wearing a mask gives me a little bit more protection from this, then the inconvenience is worth it. 

I'm not saying that the virus is a joke, that's real of course. What I find to be a joke is the hysteria surrounding it, especially the media reporting on it.

From what I understand, the mask is not really there to give the wearer any added protection, it's so that anybody who is infected will have a harder time spreading it to anybody else. But if the virus is going to be around for a while, then surely, people are not going to be wearing masks for years, so it's better to just get it over with in my opinion.

They also keep moving the goalposts. First it was about flattening the curve, now all of a sudden it's about no new cases. That is ridiculous, and that's not going to fly, in my opinion. For some politicians in some states, this is more about control than anything else. If I have to choose between controlling authoritarians or the virus, I'll choose option B.

I do carry a small hand sanitizer spray with alcohol, and I spray my hands if I am outside and I happen to touch anything, like a door knob.
  • Reply 13 of 43

Actually that was 1918, Science doesn’t agree on the issue now. Many experts have come out against the use of masks as cause serious risk and are ineffective protection anyway. Even in the hospital shields are better, hence Apple making them. 
    Well back in 1918, a mask was just like a handkerchief tied around your face. 
    I don’t know where you’re getting that “experts” are against using masks, as I haven’t heard of any. 
    Masks cannot protect you completely, but they are being used as another layer of protection to shield you from droplets that are from a source that is 2 meters. The mucus membranes in your eyes can get infected if someone sneezes at you close by, meaning less than 2 meters. That is why medical workers and first responders use both a mask and a face shield. They don’t just use the shield by itself. If they did they would risk inhaling contaminants from under the shield. 
    peteoddawson100fastasleep
  • Reply 14 of 43

I don’t know where you’re getting that “experts” are against using masks, as I haven’t heard of any. 
    Masks cannot protect you completely, but they are being used as another layer of protection to shield you from droplets that are from a source that is 2 meters. The mucus membranes in your eyes can get infected if someone sneezes at you close by, meaning less than 2 meters. That is why medical workers and first responders use both a mask and a face shield. They don’t just use the shield by itself. If they did they would risk inhaling contaminants from under the shield. 
    Never mind.
    There’s always examples in lower human biospheres whose mission is to safeguard epidemics to be epidemics without even realizing.
  • Reply 15 of 43

Never mind.
    There’s always examples in the lower human biosphere whose mission is to safeguard epidemics to be epidemics without even realizing.
    edited May 2020
  • Reply 16 of 43
    apple ][ said:

Your actions are selfish. Being selfish is totally your call but don’t insult everyone, including your self, by dressing this up as some sanctimonious morality play.   To to dress yourself up as some good guy crusader is transparent bullshit. If you are willing to accept the consequences then you should be willing to be honest about your motivations. You’re just selfish.  
  • Reply 17 of 43
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    apple ][ said:
    apple ][ said:

The difference between places like China & South Korea who are flourishing and have contained the virus effectively and the failing and flailing U.S. is people like this:  
    Those who have abandoned all semblance of real patriotism and wrapped themselves in fake patriotism using buzzwords like "freedom" and "Liberty" to excuse themselves of any and all responsibility to their nation and its people and instead wrap themselves in the shroud of "every man for himself -- no loyalty to anybody or anything" --while they wave the flag and call themselves Americans.

They are a disgrace to the founding fathers who put their fortunes, their futures and their very lives on the line to form this great country.

peteoringer
  • Reply 18 of 43

That was only because the U.S., having failed to prepare, didn't have even enough masks for healthcare workers.
    Once they realized they could talk the nation into making and wearing amateurish DIY masks like a third world country they were all in.

I wonder if China will sell us some of theirs?   Perhaps we shouldn't be trying to trigger a second cold war with them.
  • Reply 19 of 43
    apple ][ said:

Of course, I am fully prepared to take the consequences of all decisions that I make, ....

Does that include murder for infecting other, innocent people if they die as a result of your misconduct?
  • Reply 20 of 43

A mask can provide some protection to you.   But mostly it is to protect others from you.
    peteodewme