'iPhone 12' predicted to ship without EarPods, will boost AirPods sales

Comments

• Reply 41 of 72
    kimberlykimberly Posts: 434member
    I like the idea of an AirPod voucher mentioned by @entropys
    edited May 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 72
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,139member
    take earpods that's fine but everyone better get the better charger not only the pro devices. Don't go giving us no pods and then stick us with that 5 watt bs to charge up 
    Or what? You’ll switch to Android? 
    ronnwatto_cobralkrupp
  • Reply 43 of 72
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,139member
    entropys said:
    Why do this? It would just generate extremely negative press. The EarPods cost next to nothing to manufacture, and the box is already designed.

unless of course there is no lightning port.
    Because most people don’t use them, they do cost money to make, and no the box has not been designed yet. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 72
    dhawkins541dhawkins541 Posts: 107member
    flydog said:
    take earpods that's fine but everyone better get the better charger not only the pro devices. Don't go giving us no pods and then stick us with that 5 watt bs to charge up 
    Or what? You’ll switch to Android? 
    Does it matter to you? No, so why even ask such an idiotic question anyway. Go troll someone else. 
    muthuk_vanalingamchemengin1dewmelkrupp
  • Reply 45 of 72
    dhawkins541dhawkins541 Posts: 107member
    mike1 said:

I disagree. No need to include a more expensive charger for all to accommodate the few that need to charge faster.
    I'd bet Apple has data showing how long people leave the phones charging, say overnight.
    You perfectly fine to disagree it's a free world like that, but is it really that much difference in price in the grand scheme of things. Most people will charge with the one that's in the box just because a few tech enthusiast on web believe something doesn't mean the whole world functions on said rule to wirelessly charge or whatever you want to do and your still free to do so. Apple can give the better charger for next to nothing when taking away a product they retail for $29 I believe and I doubt they'll break the bank that much. Have a great day though…
  • Reply 46 of 72
    kkqd1337kkqd1337 Posts: 451member
    Really spiteful thing to do. 
  • Reply 47 of 72
    AI_liasAI_lias Posts: 436member
    flydog said:
    entropys said:
    Why do this? It would just generate extremely negative press. The EarPods cost next to nothing to manufacture, and the box is already designed.

unless of course there is no lightning port.
    Because most people don’t use them, they do cost money to make, and no the box has not been designed yet. 
    I would say most people use them, and some people do not want wireless (because RF radiation, cost, battery life). Wired is still best, and most convenient. They just work, reliably. Apple should offer free EarPods with every new iPhone purchase, if people want them. That would be best.
    randominternetpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 48 of 72
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,924member
    "will boost AirPods sales" or "will reduce the iPhone 12 sales" ? That is the question!!!
  • Reply 49 of 72
    wattouk said:
    I'd welcome this as long as they leave a lightening to aux adapter. I get a new iPhone every year and have countless pairs of untouched EarPods in my drawers. Most people have a pair of aux headphones lying around but this would help push people towards AirPods which will push up sales even more. 
    This gets us down a strange road with no lightning port, should they do that.  Would they put a charging puck in the box, so we can charge it, or does it come "some assembly (of a pieces to get to use this thing) required".
    Other bits of hope that they keep the lightning port are:
    • Some people like wired headphones
    • It's a bad "out of box" experience to tell people, "OK, now you have to buy this to make it work" when it didn't previously.  In this example, an Apple TV is immediately understood that you need a TV to be useful, however having a >$25 phone without a way to charge it goes to strange places.  I just spent $1699 on a phone, and they want another $99 for a way to use this after 5 hours, and I now have to buy a new car stereo, and I have to buy wireless headphones, so this phone purchase is now $2300 with AppleCare and tax.
    • 99% of the CarPlay stereos will need to be replaced to use
    • Charging inconvenience, especially in cars.  Plus, I can carry a charge cord and charge cube in my pants conveniently, but the charge pucks, not so much.
    • Charging efficiency and speed:.29W via wire >> 7W via wireless
    This is not to say that I don't like the pucks.  It's just that they're not the most convenient in all circumstances.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 50 of 72
    sconosciutosconosciuto Posts: 286member
    JFC_PA said:
    Don’t see that boosting AirPod sales. You don’t need earpieces to use the iPhone. And for $29 you can buy the wired ones.
    once you go AirPods, you never go back. My last set of wireless earbuds were still connected to one another by a wire. It was a minor PITA. I lost them in my house for a year once because one earbud came out and the wire it was connected to now had a weight at the other end, so the other earbud came out. Of course these earbuds did not automatically start my music when I put them in my ears, they did not read messages to me, and even though they were JBL they didn't sound anywhere as good as AirPods. AirPods actually fit my ears, none of the Apple earbuds ever quite fit my ears. There is no reason to continue providing earbuds that most people won't use for any of several reasons. You can use an iPhone just fine without earbuds, after all.
    ronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 51 of 72
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 13,055member
    entropys said:
    That makes sense to me....
    I have seen my collection of earbuds growing and growing.
    Essentially, at this point, almost everybody already has multiple sets of them.  Plus, AirPods have essentially obsoleted these things.

So, why force people to buy something they don't need and don't want?
    Do you think for a millisecond that Apple would drop the price of an iPhone to reflect the price of the EarPods? Really? Tim Cook’s Apple? Ha ha!
    We often hear that phrase -- but can you cite the differences between Cook's and Job's Apple, specifically when it comes to pricing strategies? Because Apple was certainly considered over-priced by some ("Apple tax!") under Jobs. And under Cook we have seen many price decreases, such as:

- non-pro iPad lowered from $499 to $329

- just this year the non-Pro iPhone dropped $50

- just in March the MBA dropped $100

...obviously, Apple has a history of lowering prices on gear. And also obviously, they don't do it in a 1:1 fashion for particular components being removed. But it would be foolish not to observe that lowering costs is how they're able to offer price drops, and every component contributes to this.
    edited May 2020 randominternetpersonronnXedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 52 of 72

applguy said:
    As someone that is on phone calls 6+ hours per day AirPods are not an option. At best they last half a day. As it is I use an adapter that allows power and EarPods to be plugged in at the same time. I have no idea what I’ll do when the iPhone is totally wireless. 
    Incorrect. I am also an office warrior and have used APs since day 1. They require only a short time to re-charge between calls, tucked into their battery case the moment I drop off a call. If you are a normal human you eat, use the bathroom, get water or coffee, have at least a short time between some of your calls, etc. That's when you charge. You don't just set the pods down on the table outside the case and not give them a chance to re-charge at some point during the day.
    ronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 53 of 72
    gatorguy said:
    Essentially, at this point, almost everybody already has multiple sets of them.  Plus, AirPods have essentially obsoleted these things.

I don't think you are buying them.

The iPhone selling price would be the same with or without them IMO. They end up as a freebie in the box. It makes perfect sense that if hardware revenues are decreasing a bit that those free things get removed and paid things take their place, but you won't be paying less for your next Phone because they took cheap earbuds out of the box. The market will bear the same price with or without them.
    Of course you're paying for them! Nothing in the box is free, nothing. And as they decrease costs, of course the price changes. Thus we saw Apple drop the entry-level iPhone -$50 this year. Decreasing costs is how this is done. You won't get an immediate discount for the lack of headphones, but every component matters when it comes to saving costs and lowering prices. This is absolutely no exception.
    edited May 2020 jdb8167Xedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 54 of 72
    One key audience would be affected: people switching to iPhone for the first time.  They don't own any lightning based headphones/earpods.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 55 of 72
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,418member
    Apple does lower prices of kit on occasion but to say they have a history of lower prices is a bit misleading.

More than lowering prices, they've had a long history of adding features while maintaining prices. Then somewhat recently, they've been raising prices in all categories of products. Only very recently have they been lowering prices.

And that doesn't have a fucking thing to do with the 'price' of EarPods. While the customer pays for everything in the box including the 12¢ or whatever for the EPs, the fact that Apple WON'T lower the price of iPhones because they don't include them does allow for the perspective that we don't pay for them. Now if Apple continues to include EarPods, then the 'free' perspective goes out the window.

Include AirPods instead of EarPods? FFS, who actually thinks that might happen. Not a chance in fucking Hell unless there's a CTO. I think Apple has a duty to include earphones of some nature or contribute to noise pollution.

And including a Lighting to what - 3.5mm adapter but no EPs? Seriously, some of you must get totally baked before posting.

Eliminate the Lightning port? Only if they replace it with USB-C. As pointed out earlier, wireless charging is just not a replacement for wired charging, and eliminating that possibility force a hidden charge on consumers. I don't see Apple dropping the charger at all, and think not including headphones about as unlikely. EarPods offer a measure of privacy, both of and from content.

Now if any of this nonsense is offered by Jon Prosser, I'll have a rethink. All you hypocritical pseudo Green Peace wannabes might want to wait a tick before dancing on the EP's grave.
  • Reply 56 of 72
    sconosciutosconosciuto Posts: 286member
    JFC_PA said:
    Don’t see that boosting AirPod sales. You don’t need earpieces to use the iPhone. And for $29 you can buy the wired ones.
    once you go AirPods, you never go back. My last set of wireless earbuds were still connected to one another by a wire. It was a minor PITA. I lost them in my house for a year once because one earbud came out and the wire it was connected to now had a weight at the other end, so the other earbud came out. Of course these earbuds did not automatically start my music when I put them in my ears, they did not read messages to me, and even though they were JBL they didn't sound anywhere as good as AirPods. AirPods actually fit my ears, none of the Apple earbuds ever quite fit my ears. There is no reason to continue providing earbuds that most people won't use for any of several reasons. You can use an iPhone just fine without earbuds, after all.
  • Reply 57 of 72
    libertyforalllibertyforall Posts: 1,418member
    It should ship with AirPods Pro for the top flagship models!
  • Reply 58 of 72
    XedXed Posts: 2,822member
    No. No it shouldn't. Having a $250 higher price tag to an already flagship device regardless  whether you want another pair of AirPods Pro beecause you can't be bothered to pick up the headphones you want when you purchase your iPhone is a horrible idea.
    edited May 2020 jdb8167watto_cobra
  • Reply 59 of 72
    XedXed Posts: 2,822member

entropys said:

Do you think for a millisecond that Apple would drop the price of an iPhone to reflect the price of the EarPods? Really? Tim Cook’s Apple? Ha ha!
    We often hear that phrase -- but can you cite the differences between Cook's and Job's Apple, specifically when it comes to pricing strategies? Because Apple was certainly considered over-priced by some ("Apple tax!") under Jobs. And under Cook we have seen many price decreases, such as:

- non-pro iPad lowered from $499 to $329

- just this year the non-Pro iPhone dropped $50

- just in March the MBA dropped $100

...obviously, Apple has a history of lowering prices on gear. And also obviously, they don't do it in a 1:1 fashion for particular components being removed. But it would be foolish not to observe that lowering costs is how they're able to offer price drops, and every component contributes to this.
    gatorguy said:

I don't think you are buying them.

The iPhone selling price would be the same with or without them IMO. They end up as a freebie in the box. It makes perfect sense that if hardware revenues are decreasing a bit that those free things get removed and paid things take their place, but you won't be paying less for your next Phone because they took cheap earbuds out of the box. The market will bear the same price with or without them.
    Of course you're paying for them! Nothing in the box is free, nothing. And as they decrease costs, of course the price changes. Thus we saw Apple drop the entry-level iPhone -$50 this year. Decreasing costs is how this is done. You won't get an immediate discount for the lack of headphones, but every component matters when it comes to saving costs and lowering prices. This is absolutely no exception.
    What seems to escape the Apple haters is how the bill of materials affect the price. If Apple removes the EarPods from an iPhone 11 that costs $699, they oddly think that the iPhone 12 without EarPods would have to come in below $699 or it's proof that that EarPods are somehow manufactured and given away for free. They don't understand that that Apple may maintain the marketable sale price and use the lower cost of goods to be able to add in other features and/or better, more costly hardware.

If they can save $3 EarPods and then be able to increase the SoC costs by $3 per unit then that benefits me since I don't use EarPods.
    jdb8167watto_cobra
  • Reply 60 of 72
    libertyforalllibertyforall Posts: 1,418member
    Apple pays a tiny cost per unit comparatively, not $250 if they include them.

Xed said:
    No. No it shouldn't. Having a $250 higher price tag to an already flagship device regardless  whether you want another pair of AirPods Pro beecause you can't be bothered to pick up the headphones you want when you purchase your iPhone is a horrible idea.