'iPhone 12' predicted to ship without EarPods, will boost AirPods sales

Comments

• Reply 21 of 72
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    entropys said:
    Why do this? It would just generate extremely negative press. The EarPods cost next to nothing to manufacture, and the box is already designed.

unless of course there is no lightning port.
    Nope. If this is true it will go down exactly like the removal of the 3.5mm headphone jack. There will be outrage, condemnation, ridicule, editorializing about how do I listen to my music if I they don’t provide earbuds. Then it will blow over and become the norm with competitors following suit shortly after. 
    headfull0wineAppleZuluronnrandominternetpersonwatto_cobrajeffharris
  • Reply 22 of 72

cornchip said:
    I guess shipping with air pods would be too much to ask. Bah.
    How about make them an option and give people a choice?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 72
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    I am amazed there are so many people that don’t use them. My kids go through them like water. The girls have a nasty habit of leaving them connected to the iPhone and just wrapped about it before being tossed in their bag. The boy is just hard on stuff. If they last six months I’m lucky.
    macplusplusheadfull0wine
  • Reply 24 of 72
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,699member
    Make them a 'BTO' for free at order time and both camps would be happy. No need to have packaging for them in the retail box either.

A couple of years down the line, they could probably drop the option. 

They could do the same with the 5W charger but in all honesty, that thing should have been dumped years ago. 
  • Reply 25 of 72
    My kids also go through EarPods like water. 

This is starting to remind me of high end bicycles.  Follow me here...
    People are often gobsmacked when they find out a multi-thousand dollar bicycle doesn't come with pedals.  They see pedals as a critical component. If you can't ride a bike without pedals, how can you sell a bike without them???
    The reality is, those who pay that much $$$ for bikes are very particular about the pedal clip technology they need.  So why include a cheap flat pedal when it will be thrown away.  

The analogy kind of falls apart when you consider that no one paying $3k+ for a bike will ever use it with cheap in-the-box pedals.  But lots of people who pay $1k for an iPhone will use it with in-the-box EarPods. 
    watto_cobralkrupp
  • Reply 26 of 72
    XedXed Posts: 2,569member
    I sure hope this is true and I hope it includes dropping the PSU eventually.
    edited May 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 72
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Good. It's a waste to keep shipping an item that only ends up collecting dust in many people's drawers.

People are free to choose whatever option they want.

You want wireless/bluetooth? Good, choose that.

You want wired? Good, choose that.

You want no headphones at all? Good, you don't have to choose any option.

Everybody is happy.

edited May 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 72
    caladaniancaladanian Posts: 380member
    Let buyers choose online: (1) buy phone (2) choose charger (3) choose head phone (4) choose other options like case, AppleCare,... => go to checkout. Finished. 
    watto_cobralkrupp
  • Reply 29 of 72
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,322member
    avon b7 said:
    Make them a 'BTO' for free at order time and both camps would be happy. No need to have packaging for them in the retail box either.

A couple of years down the line, they could probably drop the option. 

They could do the same with the 5W charger but in all honesty, that thing should have been dumped years ago. 
    Make it a voucher system tied to iPhone serial number and show up in my devices tab in find my stuff.
    if not used at time of purchase they are still there to be used. Say when overseas and you’ve lost your cable. Or hand phone down then get headphones for the kids.  
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 72
    jdb8167jdb8167 Posts: 626member
    applguy said:
    As someone that is on phone calls 6+ hours per day AirPods are not an option. At best they last half a day. As it is I use an adapter that allows power and EarPods to be plugged in at the same time. I have no idea what I’ll do when the iPhone is totally wireless. 
    A couple of solutions that might work for you. First, you can use a single Airpod bud at a time and keep the other charging in the case. The case definitely would give you enough charge for a full day of calls (rated at about 24 hours of charging.) The other solution is two buy two pairs and swap them as needed by the battery level. Kind of expensive but if it is a business need, not a huge problem.

I have a pair of Airpods 2nd generation and Airpods Pro. I bought the Airpods just before the release of the Airpods Pro. I didn’t think I would use the Airpods much after buying the Airpods Pro but that isn’t the case. Recently, I’ve been binging on AppleTV+ and Netflix and I can kill a 4 hour charge pretty easily. But since i’m home (hence the binge watching), I don’t really care if I have noise canceling so I just keep swapping them as needed. Works pretty well.
    applguyrandominternetpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 72
    rossb2rossb2 Posts: 89member
    applguy said:
    As someone that is on phone calls 6+ hours per day AirPods are not an option. At best they last half a day. As it is I use an adapter that allows power and EarPods to be plugged in at the same time. I have no idea what I’ll do when the iPhone is totally wireless. 
    they take around 10 minutes to charge. It does not matter if they do not last all day. The charging box is good for 25 hours. Unless of course you cannot spare 10 minutes , every  4 hours say
    applguyrandominternetpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 72
    rossb2rossb2 Posts: 89member

mike1 said:
    take earpods that's fine but everyone better get the better charger not only the pro devices. Don't go giving us no pods and then stick us with that 5 watt bs to charge up 

I disagree. No need to include a more expensive charger for all to accommodate the few that need to charge faster.
    I'd bet Apple has data showing how long people leave the phones charging, say overnight.
    I don't even use my charger, instead preferring to have the phone in a wireless charging cradle. Means you can use the phone while it charges, no messing around shoving the cable in every time you leave the desk. I think Apple should be encouraging the use of these sorts of devices. Another benefit is, it makes the battery last longer.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 72
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,305member
    1. It may just be me, but the Lightning EarPods sound way better than the wired EarPods.

2. If you are genuinely not using your EarPods, sell them or give them to that annoying Karen in the coffeeshop so she'll stop interrupting you with her craptastic "music" or speaker conversation.

3. I doubt Apple will replace the EarPods included in favour of just the headphone-jack-to-lightning adapter -- that would encourage people to use other companies' headphones, and Apple has zero interest in doing that ...

4. (regular) AirPods in the box would be nice, but very unlikely as they require a charging case. No room in the box for that, plus that raises the cost (over EarPods) quite significantly.

5. Ming-Chi Kuo has not been on a roll lately, so its worth bearing in mind that he's been "revising" (walking back) some of his predictions for quite a while now. I could definitely see the sort of AirPods "promotion" he's talking about as being a possibility, though -- say, 30 percent off when you buy an iPhone? That would work for a lot of people.
    macguiwatto_cobrajeffharris
  • Reply 34 of 72
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,647member
    mike1 said:
    Replace the Ear Pods with the Lightning to headphone adaptor.
    Actually.  This is a great idea.   Probably cheaper and it satisfies the wired headphone port folks.  

Personally, I have two lightNING EarPods I’ve never used and still use wired EarPods with an adapter for mowing the lawn (AirPods don’t stay in Under the earmuffs).   I’m mostly indifferent but approve.  I think Apple is throwing money away by including lightNING EarPods.   
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 72
    apple ][ said:
    Good. It's a waste to keep shipping an item that only ends up collecting dust in many people's drawers.

People are free to choose whatever option they want.

You want wireless/bluetooth? Good, choose that.

You want wired? Good, choose that.

You want no headphones at all? Good, you don't have to choose any option.

Everybody is happy.

And Apple would also get an at-a-boy from environmentalists. Less landfill.
    watto_cobrajeffharris
  • Reply 36 of 72
    XedXed Posts: 2,569member
    eriamjh said:
    mike1 said:
    Replace the Ear Pods with the Lightning to headphone adaptor.
    Actually.  This is a great idea.   Probably cheaper and it satisfies the wired headphone port folks.  

Personally, I have two lightNING EarPods I’ve never used and still use wired EarPods with an adapter for mowing the lawn (AirPods don’t stay in Under the earmuffs).   I’m mostly indifferent but approve.  I think Apple is throwing money away by including lightNING EarPods.   
    I don't care what Apple does, but I can't see them including an adapter. That's something they stopped doing a very long time ago.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 72
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    Don’t see that boosting AirPod sales. You don’t need earpieces to use the iPhone. And for $29 you can buy the wired ones. 
  • Reply 38 of 72
    entropys said:
    In my household they don’t last long. 
    Maybe include a voucher. $30 for EarPods, or $70 towards airpods. You choose. A real up sell.
    it would be a sticker on the iPhone box so you can redeem voucher when purchased if you want.
    I would prefer this. Voucher for your next pod. Until a few months ago, I still have the sealed headphones from my iPod 3rd gen. :o  Never used any of e/phones that came with my iPhones either as I prefer buying a better one. Including a voucher will probably push me towards buying from Apple instead. I know they are on par nowadays.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 72
    entropys said:
    Why do this? It would just generate extremely negative press. The EarPods cost next to nothing to manufacture, and the box is already designed.

unless of course there is no lightning port.

I'm guessing you're not familiar with the term "profit".
    sconosciutoronnjeffharris
  • Reply 40 of 72
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    rossb2 said:
    applguy said:
    they take around 10 minutes to charge. It does not matter if they do not last all day. The charging box is good for 25 hours. Unless of course you cannot spare 10 minutes , every  4 hours say
    Or just use one bud at a time to take and make calls. Gives you the ability to always have a one charged and ready to go every few hours. 
    applguyRayz2016watto_cobra