Apple will reopen 100 US stores this week

Posted:
in General Discussion edited May 2020
Apple has revealed it will be reopening more of its retail outlets in the United States this week, with the latest wave of Apple Store openings anticipated to include around 100 locations across the country.

Announced on Tuesday, Apple confirmed it intends to open up more stores in the US, as the company attempts to bring its retail business back up to its pre-Coronavirus levels. Stores in the US and most other countries were closed as part of a precautionary measure, to prevent the spread of COVID-19.

In the statement, Apple warns most will offer curbside or storefront service only, providing online order pick-up and Genius Bar appointments. Some will be open for walk-in customers, where they will be expected to undergo temperature checks and other precautionary measures, such as limited occupancy.

Apple encourages customers to check their local store pages for opening hours, which are likely to be different from usual business hours. The company also reminds of the existence of the Apple website for support, along with phone and chat services.

The announcement is a continuation of store openings conducted by Apple throughout May. From the week of May 11, Apple opened a selection of stores in a small number of US states, which was followed by a second wave of 25 stores.

Before the announcement, Apple had 32 stores in the United States reopened, out of a total of 271. If Apple opens 100 stores, this will bring the total up to 132, or almost half of all US-based outlets.

There are 239 stores in other countries, with 119 believed to be operational by May 28.

Apple's entire statement provided to AppleInsider and other venues is as follows:
This week we'll return to serving customers in many US locations. For customer safety and convenience, most stores will offer curbside or storefront service only, where we provide online order pick-up and Genius Bar appointments. Others will be open for walk-in customers and we encourage everyone to check their local store webpage for more information about hours at their preferred location. Customers can also visit apple.com for support by phone or chat.
We are committed to reopening our stores in a very thoughtful manner with the health and safety of our customers and teams as our top priority, and we look forward to seeing our customers again soon.
Numbers of stores reopening this week per state:
  • Arizona - 5 stores
  • California - 29 stores
  • Florida - 11 stores
  • Georgia - 6 stores
  • Indiana - 1 store
  • Kansas - 1 store
  • Kentucky - 2 stores
  • Michigan - 5 stores
  • Missouri - 3 stores
  • Nevada - 3 stores
  • New Mexico - 1 store
  • New York - 1 store
  • Ohio - 7 stores
  • Oregon - 1 store
  • Pennsylvania - 1 store
  • South Carolina - 1 store
  • Tennessee - 2 stores
  • Texas - 18 stores
  • Utah - 3 stores
  • Virginia - 2 stores
  • Wisconsin - 1 store
A full count of stores open in the United States, including lists of open stores, and country counts is also available.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    From what I can tell the US Covid peak has not been reached yet and Apple decides to open their stores......

Come on Apple, do the right thing. It’s not like you can’t afford it!
    mac_doglkrupp
  • Reply 2 of 30
    saarek said:
    From what I can tell the US Covid peak has not been reached yet and Apple decides to open their stores......

I would imagine it depends on what you are looking at. If you use a seven day moving average then 20 states are trending down in their number of new cases, 12 are flat and 18 are going up with the U.S as a. whole staying fairly steady. There is absolutely reasonable discussion as to that being enough to start opening up anything in earnest but it does look like the nationally we may have peaked. I'd also wager Apple is looking at each metro and it's trends before making any decisions.  Also, it isn't like Apple is throwing open the doors and having people charge in. The Texas stores will be limited to 25% capacity on top of precautions that Apple is taking. 
  • Reply 3 of 30
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    Some good information on the situation in each state: https://graphics.reuters.com/HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS/USA-TRENDS/dgkvlgkrkpb/

• Reply 4 of 30
    F_Kent_DF_Kent_D Posts: 98unconfirmed, member
    How many folks have died from the Flu this year? That’s gonna be VERY interesting information once it’s released next year. Apple needs to do the right thing and open its doors. Let the population decide whether to take the chance or not. I’ve been working since the beginning and absolutely nobody here in Conroe, TX at my place of business has had any issues with COVID-19. Good new Apple, thank you. I also see the 2nd most stores in any state opening here in Texas. Not looking to buy anything anytime soon but I’m glad stores and businesses are able to provide jobs to my fellow Texans.
    edited May 2020 eumaeusatomic101
  • Reply 5 of 30
    F_Kent_D said:
    How many folks have died from the Flu this year?
    Confirmed deaths from the flu have ranged from around 4,000 to around 15,000 in recent years in the United States. 
  • Reply 6 of 30
    mr lizardmr lizard Posts: 354member
    Your country is a plague pit, you have people dropping like flies, and unlike other nations you have no coherent plan to exit the crisis yet retailers are opening their stores again. 

The rest of the world is looking at you with a mix of horror and confusion. 
    mac_dogGeorgeBMacfastasleep
  • Reply 7 of 30

Happy_Noodle_Boy said: There is absolutely reasonable discussion as to that being enough to start opening up anything in earnest but it does look like the nationally we may have peaked.
    A. States that have the highest amount of testing also tend to have the highest number of confirmed cases and confirmed deaths. In other words, you can't draw too many solid conclusions from U.S. state numbers as a whole. A lot of states used half-assed testing as their argument for reopening.

B. Reopening = removing one of the constraints to the virus. Essentially, the U.S. is rolling the dice and hoping that masks + social distancing are enough to keep the numbers from rising too high again. Part of the problem is that a significant % of the population doesn't want to wear masks or practice consistent social distancing. That's going to make the dice roll less likely to succeed. 
    edited May 2020 mac_dogfastasleep
  • Reply 8 of 30
    hammeroftruthhammeroftruth Posts: 1,313member
    mr lizard said:
    Your country is a plague pit, you have people dropping like flies, and unlike other nations you have no coherent plan to exit the crisis yet retailers are opening their stores again. 

Other nations aren’t in a much better state either. Either because of pockets of reinfections or lack of reporting, lack of PPE, and medical  professionals to relieve the exhausted ones. 

So if your country is so much better in terms of handling and long term plans, please share them here. 

Apple may not have discovered a way to shop risk free, but they have gone further than others in protecting the public and it’s employees while trying to still conduct business. 

Maybe you should see how they do it before commenting. 
    edited May 2020 christophb
  • Reply 9 of 30

Happy_Noodle_Boy said: There is absolutely reasonable discussion as to that being enough to start opening up anything in earnest but it does look like the nationally we may have peaked.
    A. States that have the highest amount of testing also tend to have the highest number of confirmed cases and confirmed deaths. In other words, you can't draw too many solid conclusions from U.S. state numbers as a whole. A lot of states used half-assed testing as their argument for reopening.

B. Reopening = removing one of the constraints to the virus. Essentially, the U.S. is rolling the dice and hoping that masks + social distancing are enough to keep the numbers from rising too high again. Part of the problem is that a significant % of the population doesn't want to wear masks or practice consistent social distancing. That's going to make the dice roll less likely to succeed. 
    I am not disagreeing with anything you said. I don't really get what it has to do with my response to the OP but I don't disagree with it.
  • Reply 10 of 30
    One thing to note is Apple can and will shut down stores if they run out of cleaning supplies, PPE, or if an employee gets sick and has the possibility of infecting the rest of their teammates. 

They have implemented safety precautions by splitting up employees into multiple teams that will not work the same time nor interact with each other. So if the areas where the stores have re-opened fail to practice social distancing and cases spike, the store will be shut down. 
    edited May 2020
  • Reply 11 of 30
    So if your country is so much better in terms of handling and long term plans, please share them here. 
    Virtually every other country in the world, bar third world countries, is doing a better job than the US. 

Good luck. 
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 12 of 30
    Happy_Noodle_Boy said: I am not disagreeing with anything you said. I don't really get what it has to do with my response to the OP but I don't disagree with it.
    "There is absolutely reasonable discussion as to that being enough to start opening up anything in earnest but it does look like the nationally we may have peaked."

^^That's what I was responding to from your first post. It's not really possible to say the U.S. peaked due to the lack of uniformity in testing between the states. I think you can draw some tentative conclusions in states that tested the most, but even then it's on shaky ground due to how many people refuse to wear masks or socially distance on a consistent basis. 
  • Reply 13 of 30
    mr lizard said:
    Virtually every other country in the world, bar third world countries, is doing a better job than the US. 

Good luck. 
    Maybe some examples to show how they are doing a better job? All we hear in the US is that some countries have had flattened curves, but nothing specific on how they are doing a better job barring keeping people at home. 

There is no perfect way to prevent the spread. Especially if citizens fail to heed safety protocols.  

The Apple stores in the countries that you are referring to haven’t re-opened either? From what you are saying, I gather they should be closed there too, correct?
  • Reply 14 of 30
    Happy_Noodle_Boy said: I am not disagreeing with anything you said. I don't really get what it has to do with my response to the OP but I don't disagree with it.
    "There is absolutely reasonable discussion as to that being enough to start opening up anything in earnest but it does look like the nationally we may have peaked."

^^That's what I was responding to from your first post. It's not really possible to say the U.S. peaked due to the lack of uniformity in testing between the states. I think you can draw some tentative conclusions in states that tested the most, but even then it's on shaky ground due to how many people refuse to wear masks or socially distance on a consistent basis. 
    I didn't say the U.S. has peaked I said it may have and it may have based on the data available. I completely agree that testing is a mess but it's the data we got. I agree that people not following public health guidelines is likely going to be the best way to made sure we haven't peaked. It's also incumbent on establishments to do their part and enforce those rules. The context of my comment was specially to Apple opening as that was what the OP was taking about. It may be naive on my part but I think Apple enforce the guidelines they have previously published which are actually above what is required. Will other businesses? Totally different story. 
  • Reply 15 of 30
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    saarek said:

Shutting things down and huddling in our homes was only ever meant to slow the spread of the disease so it did not overwhelm our healthcare system (and it succeeded!).  But it cannot and was never intended to be a long term solution.

Long Term we need to do what the other countries who successfully managed the virus have done:   Protect the people.   That is done by:
    --  Avoiding close, prolonged contact as well as confined, crowded conditions.
    --  Wearing masks
    --  Using gloves & frequent handwashing and/or sanitizing
    --  Ongoing so called "deep cleaning" of stores & such
    --  Daily checking of public facing personnel (like cashiers) for symptoms and testing them on a regular basis.
    --  And, especially:  Quickly removing infectious Typhoid Mary's from our streets and businesses with effective testing and tracing programs.

It sounds like Apple is doing all of those things except the last -- which they, of course, cannot do.   That's the job of our government.
    eumaeusJFC_PA
  • Reply 16 of 30
    mr lizard said:

Other nations aren’t in a much better state either. Either because of pockets of reinfections or lack of reporting, lack of PPE, and medical  professionals to relieve the exhausted ones. 

China and South Korea controlled the virus well.
    Then when they had a resurgence of a hand full of cases (say 5 people), they immediately responded with effective control measures.   In the case of China, they are testing over a million people a day in one province alone and then following up with an effective tracing program -- while individual citizens and businesses practice safe interactions.

The U.S. needs to learn from them and follow their example instead of trash talking them.

Conversely Brazil, with its Trump clone leading it, is surging to overtake the U.S. as the Corona Capital of the World.
  • Reply 17 of 30

Yes, there is that.   But also there is a lack of uniformity in reopening protocols.   In some states, people have decided the virus suddenly disappeared and are crowding in together like it was 2019.  And, as we should have learned, it only takes a single Typhoid Mary to trigger a second wave -- and we have thousands and probably tens of thousands of them wondering our streets and businesses.
  • Reply 18 of 30
    All we hear in the US is that some countries have had flattened curves, but nothing specific on how they are doing a better job barring keeping people at home. 
    I'm sorry that your media and government are doing you a disservice. 
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 19 of 30
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    All the stores near me are in enclosed malls which are not opening for a while yet. Well, unless I need a repair I’m not much of an Apple store visitor in any case. My next purchase is The 12 Pro Max and that will definitely be online. 
  • Reply 20 of 30
    F_Kent_D said:
    How many folks have died from the Flu this year?
    Confirmed deaths from the flu have ranged from around 4,000 to around 15,000 in recent years in the United States. 
    Not at all true. For the 4-5 month flu season (as defined by the CDC) 2018-2019, on their website the CDC says:

“CDC estimates that influenza was associated with more than 35.5 million illnesses, more than 16.5 million medical visits, 490,600 hospitalizations, and 34,200 deaths during the 2018-2019 influenza season.”