LG reportedly supplying 20 million OLED panels for 'iPhone 12 Max'

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 22

LG is set to produce a significant quantity of OLED iPhone screens -- up to 20 million -- for this year's upcoming "iPhone 12 Max," according to supply chain sources.

iphone 12

Long-time Apple supplier LG Display will provide up to 20 million OLED panels for the upcoming "iPhone 12" line, according to a report from Korean news outlet The Elec. At the same time, Samsung Display will produce 55 million units.

The report also states that LG will specifically produce panels for the 6.1-inch "iPhone 12 Max." The remaining displays are assumed to be manufactured by Samsung.

The three models of "iPhone 12" expected for 2020 will all have OLED-based screens instead of splitting between LCD and OLED.

Apple has used LG-produced OLED screens before. In 2019, Apple placed small-scale orders for OLED screens produced by the company. The supplied LG panels were used for older models of iPhones and replacement screens.

In June 2019, it was reported that LG was having production problems with its initial batch of iPhone panels.

Such problems show why it is essential for a company as large as Apple to have multiple suppliers per component. This practice can help prevent bottlenecks in the event one supplier cannot meet production standards or quotas.

In July 2019, LG announced plans to invest $2.6 billion toward an existing OLED production line in South Korea.

The report also mentions that Chinese OLED manufacturer, BOE, was unable to obtain quality approval from Apple for OLED production. The company plans on attempting to meet quality standards in the second half of this year.

The Elec has a reasonable track record predicting volumes supplied to Apple from suppliers. It has a poor track record in predicting Apple's specific plans.

Read on AppleInsider

mtriviso

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    I love how convoluted these names are getting. So next year, if I’m following correctly, we will have the “iPhone 12 S Pro Max”. 

Incredible. 
    watto_cobramtriviso
  • Reply 2 of 6
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    cornchip said:
    I love how convoluted these names are getting. So next year, if I’m following correctly, we will have the “iPhone 12 S Pro Max”. 

Incredible. 
    Still better then the typical engineer/marketer labeled devices like the amazing ZX2350 Turbo Shark Fin Enhanced whatever.
    mtriviso
  • Reply 3 of 6
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    While disappointed that the lightning port won’t be replaced by USB-C or even a no port iPhone, my wallet is open and waiting.
    edited May 2020 mtriviso
  • Reply 4 of 6
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    cornchip said:

Incredible. 

There is/was no 11S so maybe we are done with the S years? If the leaked names are correct we are going from 11 straight to 12..
    watto_cobramtriviso
  • Reply 5 of 6
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    cornchip said:

Incredible. 
    Apparently you've never seen Sony's product branding.

Also there's no 11s so why would there necessarily be a 12s?
    Rayz2016watto_cobramtriviso
  • Reply 6 of 6
    F_Kent_DF_Kent_D Posts: 98unconfirmed, member
    bluefire1 said:
    While disappointed that the lightning port won’t be replaced by USB-C or even a no port iPhone, my wallet is open and waiting.
    This lightning port crap claiming It needs to be replaced for the only remaining year of the existence of the lightning port need to go away. Let Apple focus on the rest of the phone, next year you get ZERO ports to complain about.
    watto_cobramtriviso