Photos of supposed redesigned Leather Loop Apple Watch band surface online [u]

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited May 2020
Photographs of a purportedly redesigned Leather Loop band -- or completely new leather strap -- for Apple Watch were posted online on Wednesday, with an accompanying report suggesting Apple could introduce the accessory in June.

Leather Loop

Posted to Reddit, the images show what appears to be a newly styled Leather Loop band with more prominent ribbing, magnetic closure and new color options.

Unlike the current Leather Loop accessory, the rumored update seems to rely solely on magnets to affix two leather strips around a user's wrist. The existing version, introduced in 2015, integrates a hoop fastening system for creating a tightening loop.

Leather Loop

Further deviating from the Leather Loop are bumps or cushions that sit atop a flat leather tongue. The existing design is quilted, with distinct joints separating dozens of individually pocketed sections. Certain versions of the purportedly new model also feature contrasting color trims, for example white trim framing a brown strap.

Of note, one image suggests the strap will be offered in two sizes, 40mm and 44mm. The current Leather Loop is reserved for larger 44mm Apple Watch models.

Leather Loop

The Redditor who uploaded the photos claims they purchased the straps from an electronics shop in Vietnam. Apple products sometimes leak to dealers or black markets in countries where they are assembled, and the company is thought to be shifting some production to the area. Still, an appearance in Vietnam is by no means a guarantee that the product is legitimate.

According to 9to5Mac, which first spotted the Reddit post on Wednesday, the strap is similar to a supposed Apple Watch Leather Loop redesign depicted in images sent to the site earlier in May. A source told the publication Apple could launch the product in June, perhaps during the company's upcoming Worldwide Developers Conference keynote address.

While compelling, the band could simply be a third-party accessory that has yet to reach wide distribution. If it is a genuine Apple product, the significant redesign -- deletion of a loop style fastening mechanism -- could a compel the company to market the product as a new accessory and not a Leather Loop replacement.

Update 5/28: Vietnamese website Tinhte purchased a set of the new watch bands and published a closer look at what could be Apple's new design. In addition to a video explainer, the site posted a variety of high-quality photographs of the accessory.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    jdb8167jdb8167 Posts: 626member
    While I don't care about these bands, I do want this rumor to be true because that means that Apple isn't changing the case size on the Apple watch Series 6. I'm starting to get worried that the Apple watch has had too many generations without a case change and that Apple will want to update it just to keep it new.
    cornchip
  • Reply 2 of 10
    thttht Posts: 5,496member
    Want.

But I really need to pair them with a steel, titanium or ceramic Watch, don't I?
  • Reply 3 of 10
    F_Kent_DF_Kent_D Posts: 98unconfirmed, member
    tht said:
    Want.

But I really need to pair them with a steel, titanium or ceramic Watch, don't I?
    Pair any version watch with any version band you choose. I see aluminum watches that are beat to hell at work, still look great, then throw a premium band on it and it’s a new watch. Make it your own and own it. 
    razorpitmacguicornchip
  • Reply 4 of 10
    neilmneilm Posts: 989member
    Clunky and lacks functionality compared to Apple’s current product, which I have.

I can’t see any reason to think that this product from some random store in Vietnam is anything other than one more of the hundreds (thousands?) of third party bands.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,915member
    jdb8167 said:
    While I don't care about these bands, I do want this rumor to be true because that means that Apple isn't changing the case size on the Apple watch Series 6. I'm starting to get worried that the Apple watch has had too many generations without a case change and that Apple will want to update it just to keep it new.
    As Apple has said time and time again, they don't do change for change's sake. There has to be a functional reason for why they would change the case. See iPhone.
    ronncornchip
  • Reply 6 of 10
    jdb8167 said:
    As Apple has said time and time again, they don't do change for change's sake. There has to be a functional reason for why they would change the case. See iPhone.
    Sure, this is true in general but it's been 5 years with the same size watch bands. Let's not give Apple too much credit here. They aren't above changing things for marketing reasons. I hope you are correct and as someone who has owned an Apple watch since the original series, I can see no real reason to change the casing other than to perhaps make it thinner, but I still worry about losing  my drawer full of bands.
    edited May 2020
  • Reply 7 of 10
    slow n easyslow n easy Posts: 335member
    jdb8167 said:
    I strongly disagree. I was very happy with iOS 6 and I definitely felt that the switch to iOS 7 was change just for the sake of change. I actually waited more than a year and went from iOS 6 to iOS 8 and felt very unhappy about it.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    I have to say watching the video those do not really look like an Apple product. The band looks pretty thick and clunky compared to the current leather loop. I'm guessing that it is a knockoff.
    ronn
  • Reply 9 of 10
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,369member
    jdb8167 said:
    I'm guessing that it is a knockoff.
    It's either a new Apple band or a third-party band, but as yet it's not a knock-off.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,369member

I strongly disagree. I was very happy with iOS 6 and I definitely felt that the switch to iOS 7 was change just for the sake of change. I actually waited more than a year and went from iOS 6 to iOS 8 and felt very unhappy about it.
    I disagree with your disagree. Apple wanted to revamp the look of the iOS and simplify some of the UI. That is not change for the sake of change, that's Apple changing because they believe they're evolving and refining the iOS. Not everybody approved.

That's the way it is with every update of any OS, at least in the Apple camp. I've been disappointed with many changes Apple has made to different OSs. Some of them made/make no sense to me, assuming they're not bugs, but Apple didn't do it just for drill. They had their reasons, whether we like them or not.
    ronncornchip