Apple lands 'Hedy Lamarr' TV series starring Gal Gadot

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple has given a straight-to-series order for a Gal Gadot-led TV series about late film legend and inventor Hedy Lamarr.

Gal Gadot and Sarah Treem. Credit: The Hollywood Reporter
Gal Gadot and Sarah Treem. Credit: The Hollywood Reporter

The eight-episode series, titled "Hedy Lamarr" and slated to debut on Apple TV+, is being written and executive produced by Sarah Treem, who previously worked on Showtime's "The Affair." Gadot, known for her portrayal of DC's Wonder Woman, will star in the show and also serve as an executive producer.

According to Variety, the series was originally being developed by Showtime but will move to Apple's streaming platform following a "deteriorating" relationship between Treem and the cable network.

"Hedy Lamarr" will follow the true story of the legendary Hollywood glamour girl over a 30-year period from her escape from pre-WWII Vienna to her "fall and eventual disgrace at the dawn of the Cold War."

The series will also explore Lamarr's contributions as an inventor, including a frequency-hopping system, patented by Lamarr and her friend George Antheil, that became a basis for spread spectrum technology still used today.

The series will join an existing stable of premium and star-studded TV series on Apple TV+, including "Defending Jacob," "The Morning Show," and "Dickinson," as well as a larger slate of upcoming projects.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    That’s Hedley, Hedley Lamarr...😁
    chasmSpamSandwicheriamjhlkruppCloudTalkinentropyspscooter63svanstrompulseimagesrazorpit
  • Reply 2 of 24
    JBSloughJBSlough Posts: 92member
    DAalseth said:
    That’s Hedley, Hedley Lamarr...
    No it’s right. It’s Hedy. 

edited May 2020
  • Reply 3 of 24
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    DAalseth said:
    That’s Hedley, Hedley Lamarr...😁
    Don't forget Lili von Shtüpp, "The Teutonic Titwillow"  :D
    SpamSandwichentropyspulseimagesrazorpit
  • Reply 4 of 24
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    JBSlough said:
    DAalseth said:

You have obviously never seen Blazing Saddles. Sad :'(
    SpamSandwichpulseimagesrazorpitllama
  • Reply 5 of 24
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,304member
    JBSlough said:
    DAalseth said:

Ooh, SOMEbody hasn’t seen Blazing Saddles ...

Anyway, Hedy died just a mile or so from where we were living at the time. We had NO idea such an amazing movie queen and brainiac was living right by us! This is great news and I think it’s a perfect story for our times with what I think will be the perfect actor for the role! Sadly I’m sure it will take quite a while to debut but I look forward to it.
    dewmelolliverCloudTalkinwatto_cobrapulseimages
  • Reply 6 of 24
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,372member
    chasm said:
    JBSlough said:
    DAalseth said:

Ooh, SOMEbody hasn’t seen Blazing Saddles ...

Anyway, Hedy died just a mile or so from where we were living at the time. We had NO idea such an amazing movie queen and brainiac was living right by us! This is great news and I think it’s a perfect story for our times with what I think will be the perfect actor for the role! Sadly I’m sure it will take quite a while to debut but I look forward to it.
    Agreed. Hedy Lamarr’s contributions to fundamental communication resiliency technology that is essential to so many products we now take for granted Is amazing. Good to see Apple helping to bring her significant contributions to a much wider audience. 
    lolliverchasmwatto_cobramac_dog
  • Reply 7 of 24
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Gal Gadot really does look surprisingly close to Hedy Lamarr. Hopefully she’s developed enough acting chops to handle the role.
    pulseimagesrazorpitjeffharris
  • Reply 8 of 24
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    You could not make that movie today. Not a chance.
    pulseimagesrazorpit
  • Reply 9 of 24
    ITGUYINSDITGUYINSD Posts: 516member
    entropys said:
    Given the current morals and values (or lack thereof) of half the nation these days, I wouldn't be so sure about that.  
  • Reply 10 of 24
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,265member
    entropys said:
    You couldn't make that movie even back in its day. Mel Brooks wanted Richard Pryor to do the role, but Hollywood was too scared to work with him.
    pscooter63
  • Reply 11 of 24
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,265member
    Gal Gadot really does look surprisingly close to Hedy Lamarr. Hopefully she’s developed enough acting chops to handle the role.

I find Gal to be one of the most charming actors on and off camera. She made me like Wonder Woman, who was a character I never liked in the comics.

I agree that her acting can be greatly improved though.

pulseimagesrazorpitSpamSandwichllamadewme
  • Reply 12 of 24
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    entropys said:
    You couldn't make that movie even back in its day. Mel Brooks wanted Richard Pryor to do the role, but Hollywood was too scared to work with him.
    That would have been interesting. But I don’t think Pryor and Wilder together would have worked as well for the movie. Comedy duos need a straight man.
    edited May 2020 razorpit
  • Reply 13 of 24
    ITGUYINSD said:
    entropys said:
    Given the current morals and values (or lack thereof) of half the nation these days, I wouldn't be so sure about that.  
    I believe Mel Brooks himself said that. 
  • Reply 14 of 24
    jpellinojpellino Posts: 700member
    Now they'll have to make one about Randolph Scott.
  • Reply 15 of 24
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    entropys said:
    I’m pretty sure you aren’t allowed to watch that movie today, or at least admit to watching it in many “public circles”.
  • Reply 16 of 24
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    entropys said:
    entropys said:
    That would have been interesting. But I don’t think Pryor and Wilder together would have worked as well for the movie. Comedy duos need a straight man.
    Not a fan of Stir Crazy?
  • Reply 17 of 24
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    This could be very interesting if done well.    I'm not sure a long series is justified but a movie certainly would appeal to many.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    wizard69 said:
    This could be very interesting if done well.    I'm not sure a long series is justified but a movie certainly would appeal to many.
    That’s something that I see a lot. Quite a few shows that I think “ok you had material for a film, a documentary, maybe three or four episodes, but really a series? 
  • Reply 19 of 24
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,010member
    DAalseth said:
    wizard69 said:
    That’s something that I see a lot. Quite a few shows that I think “ok you had material for a film, a documentary, maybe three or four episodes, but really a series? 
    Broadly speaking, a 90-minute film contains the equivalent narrative content of a short story. This is why (with a few notable exceptions) biopic films are usually so terrible. You can’t wedge the full arc of a well-lived life into a short story. The best biopic films in recent times have instead opted to tie a few key items of a subject’s life together without even attempting to tell the story of their whole life. First Man is a good example, showing, against a backdrop of personal tragedy, Neil Armstrong’s ice water in the veins focus that helped him avert disaster in an X-15 flight where he was bouncing off the atmosphere, a Gemini docking maneuver where the ship nearly spun out of control, and the Apollo landing where he was seconds from running out of fuel while trying to find a suitable landing site. So this is to say a three-decade arc of Hedy Lamarr’s life undoubtedly contains enough of interest to make a series.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    wizard69 said:
    There was a documentary Bombshell released a few years ago that was very good.