AAPL hits all-time record high stock closing price of $331.50

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2020
Following four months of coronavirus impact, Apple's stock closed at an all-time high on Friday, clocking in at $331.50 at the end of trading.

Credit: Fabrik
Credit: Fabrik

The new record comes just one week after Apple's stock price fully recovered from a coronavirus-related hit. It's been a tumultuous year for Apple as the company wasn't immune to a broad economic downturn amid the global health crisis.

Supply chain and demand issues in China, where COVID-19 originated, pushed Apple to warn investors on Feb. 17 that it would likely miss revenue guidance for the March quarter.

As the broader financial markets began plummeting in February and March amid lockdowns and stay-at-home orders, Apple's own price took a beating -- reaching a low point of $224.37 on March 23.

Apple's share price started to recover in April, after supply and demand began normalizing in China and the rest of the world began transitioning to a new era of remote work and education. Shares of AAPL climbed back past $300 in early May, after a better-than-expected earnings report for the March quarter.

By late May, Apple's share price was back to pre-crisis levels. And, on Friday, the company's stock set an all-time high.

Many financial analysts believe Apple is well-positioned to ride out economic uncertainty in the current pandemic, with at least two analysts predicting that the Cupertino tech giant could be the first to hit a $2 trillion valuation within five years.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    2 trillion dollars!!!??? How many zeros is that???
  • Reply 2 of 25
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,305member
    People who still think Tim Cook was a bad choice for CEO ... there’s the door. It’s the one your credibility already walked out of some time ago. 
    sconosciutolkruppronndewmejdb8167jony0muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 3 of 25
    sconosciutosconosciuto Posts: 262member
    Cook is no Steve Jobs, Apple died when Jobs died, Apple crap is overpriced, Apple products are only for mindless sheep who want to look cool and trendy, the stock is way too expensive, law of large numbers, nobody can afford Apple products, Apple Watch is a loser, Apple can't innovate any longer, blah blah blah 

Did I miss any?
    ronnjdb8167jony0
  • Reply 4 of 25
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Same number of zeros as 1 trillion.
    ronnGraham'sNumberGeorgeBMacjony0muthuk_vanalingamcgWerks
  • Reply 5 of 25
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Cook is no Steve Jobs, Apple died when Jobs died, Apple crap is overpriced, Apple products are only for mindless sheep who want to look cool and trendy, the stock is way too expensive, law of large numbers, nobody can afford Apple products, Apple Watch is a loser, Apple can't innovate any longer, blah blah blah 

Did I miss any?
    There are plenty right here in the AI comment sections that actually believe that. They vomit it out of their pie holes every single day.
    jony0
  • Reply 6 of 25
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Now that the country is actually starting to slowly return to work, there will be a huge upward push on the stock. Frankly, I’m amazed it bounced up to the current high so fast.
    steve_jobs
  • Reply 7 of 25
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,373member

Did I miss any?
    Yes, you missed your afternoon meds.  :)

Just kidding, everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion and you offered up a softball...

The one thing I would say though, is that even if you believe that Apple is a lifeless corpse without one of its cofounders at the helm, Apple has risen to heights under Steve's personally hand picked successor that Steve himself probably never could have imagined. Apparently, being "trendy" and "cool" in Apple's case involves enriching the financial portfolios of many millions of shareholders, employees, and suppliers, not to mention the tax man. If what Apple has managed to do under Tim Cook is trendy and cool, that a herd I'm very happy to be associated with. Take that baa baa baa all the way to the bank.

What's the alternative to cool and trendy? Hot and bothered? Warm and backwards? Maybe bland and retro? I'm just not hitting on an alternative that sounds very appealing. 
    qwerty52
  • Reply 8 of 25
    iOS_Guy80iOS_Guy80 Posts: 814member
    Same number of zeros as 1 trillion.
  • Reply 9 of 25
    dave marshdave marsh Posts: 349member
  • Reply 10 of 25

Did I miss any?
    I’m not sure why people who don’t support Apple post here.  I’ve been using Apple products for 36 years and never regretted it.  Better yet, I trust Apple with my data.
    qwerty52MacProlkrupp
  • Reply 11 of 25

• Reply 12 of 25
    ramanpfafframanpfaff Posts: 134member
    I’m glad I’ve been buying for the past 15 years.  B)
    qwerty52
  • Reply 13 of 25
    artdentartdent Posts: 69member

Did I miss any?

Good post. Unfortunately, some folks need to be beaten over the head and shoulders with a /s because their sarcasm detector is broken. 
    tmaysconosciuto
  • Reply 14 of 25
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Don't get too worked up.   Yeh, Apple is a solid company on many levels and a good candidate for investment.

But, right now -- and for the past 10-12 years -- the entirety of the American stock market has been propped up by two major things that artificially inflated prices:
    1)   Massive (trillions) amounts of borrowed and printed money have been poured in till excess cash is sloshing around like water in a bucket. 
    2)   Interest rates have been artificially held to ultra low levels so that investors had no other option than to shift to risk (equity) assets.   We saw what happened, in 2018 when the Fed tried to raise rates back up closer to more normal, sustainable levels -- markets plummeted.

Despite the TaxScam pumping up corporate profits with borrowed money the major method of valuing stocks remains elevated at over 1/3 higher than normal.  That is, the Price Earning ratio historically runs at about 15 but has now never dropped below 20 even during the latest stock market crash.

So, essentially, stock prices have been removed from reality based fundamentals and are being artificially propped up.  At some point they will return to normal and even good, solid companies like Apple will be impacted.

Enjoy the party while it lasts.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 15 of 25
    Now that the country is actually starting to slowly return to work, there will be a huge upward push on the stock. Frankly, I’m amazed it bounced up to the current high so fast.
    Being retired and living off of IRAs and SS I was freaking out when my portfolios decided to visit the Titanic as the pandemic hit. As of today all of my investments, including AAPL, have returned to within a few $K of their pre-pandemic levels. Unemployment is dropping. This may be 'irrational exuberance' as the economists say but I'm sleeping better at night.
  • Reply 16 of 25

Don't get too worked up.   Yeh, Apple is a solid company on many levels and a good candidate for investment.

But, right now -- and for the past 10-12 years -- the entirety of the American stock market has been propped up by two major things that artificially inflated prices:
    1)   Massive (trillions) amounts of borrowed and printed money have been poured in till excess cash is sloshing around like water in a bucket. 
    2)   Interest rates have been artificially held to ultra low levels so that investors had no other option than to shift to risk (equity) assets.   We saw what happened, in 2018 when the Fed tried to raise rates back up closer to more normal, sustainable levels -- markets plummeted.

Despite the TaxScam pumping up corporate profits with borrowed money the major method of valuing stocks remains elevated at over 1/3 higher than normal.  That is, the Price Earning ratio historically runs at about 15 but has now never dropped below 20 even during the latest stock market crash.

So, essentially, stock prices have been removed from reality based fundamentals and are being artificially propped up.  At some point they will return to normal and even good, solid companies like Apple will be impacted.

Says the committed anti-capitalist who thinks the government should own the means of production.
    applejakesSpamSandwich
  • Reply 17 of 25
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Same as one trillion.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 18 of 25
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member

Did I miss any?
    I’m not sure why people who don’t support Apple post here.  I’ve been using Apple products for 36 years and never regretted it.  Better yet, I trust Apple with my data.
    In my experience of talking to Apple haters over the decades in the flesh it's a mix of ignorance and jealousy.  On the web, it's easier for them to vent anonymously.  I suspect few happy Apple users spend time on an Android or Windows-centric site posting negative comments.  Yet, here they are, all those Google and Samsung users on our site, go figure.
    sconosciuto
  • Reply 19 of 25
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    lkrupp said:

Says the committed anti-capitalist who thinks the government should own the means of production.

LOL....  No, actually quite the opposite.   As a financial analyst I got to learn and understand how real capitalism works.  

As I pointed out what we are seeing is not capitalism but government artificially inflating stock markets.  
    ...It does work though.   Till it doesn't.  

But, as the saying goes:   "Don't fight the Fed"   Right now there is no where to put your money (without losing some) except the stock market.   That's why its so irrationally high.  

You need to learn how real capitalism -- and free markets  -- work.

And, by the way, while you're at it, you should try actually responding to facts rather than hurling insults.   But then, I guess, that's all you got.
    edited June 2020 montrosemacsmuthuk_vanalingamcgWerkschemengin1sconosciuto
  • Reply 20 of 25
    jony0jony0 Posts: 378member
    14 … just adding my 2 cents  ;) :D
    GeorgeBMac