Apple updates Apple Maps, Siri to show support for 'Black Lives Matter'

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    rwx9901rwx9901 Posts: 100member
    Everyone else's lives are just so perfect that they don't need any attention.  We're so sick of this crap already.
    SpamSandwichwatto_cobracat52
  • Reply 22 of 33
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    p-dog said:
    Apple Maps should highlight the locations of the riots,   
    Do you mean the protests, or by riots, do you mean the violent rioting cops? Either way, they are almost too numerous to count.
    You must not live in a large city. In Minneapolis, Los Angeles (and Long Beach, Santa Monica, etc), New York City, San Francisco... the rioting and looting has been a huge wave of destruction.

Its not surprising to me that arms sales are through the roof in all of these (formerly) “gun control” promoting cities. That issue is dead now.
    edited June 2020 apple ][mobirdwatto_cobracat52
  • Reply 23 of 33
    jony0jony0 Posts: 378member
    NumNuts said:
    The BLACK LIVES MATTER text looks just photoshopped in to me, not a new satellite image? 
    Indeed, a surprisingly bad photoshop for Apple I might add. The angle seems ok but that somewhat opaque grey dithering pattern is shockingly obvious.
    FTA most satellite imagery is months or years old so I think Apple did this to be expedient and the obviousness may even have been deliberate. If not it is a bit too expeditious and pretty sloppy.
  • Reply 24 of 33
    rwx9901 said:
    Everyone else's lives are just so perfect that they don't need any attention.  We're so sick of this crap already.
    There is nothing in the phrase "Black Lives Matter" that discounts anyone else. 
  • Reply 25 of 33
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    If they use Apple Maps to guide them, they are likely to end up in the wrong place or taking a slower route than is possible.

I was on the road this morning and decided to give Apple Maps a try (again). The information regarding speed limits was wrong, the suggested routing was not optimal, searching for nearby stores and restaurants was less than stellar. The ETA was also off.

Google Maps running on the same IPhone had everything right.

So who is running Apple Maps these days, Tim? I hear employment is a buyer’s market right now..

As to the Instagram Social Justice Warriors, let’s see if they bother to show up at the polls and vote in November. Voting will change things faster and more effectively than taking selfies and posting to social media.
    watto_cobracat52
  • Reply 26 of 33
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    jony0 said:
    NumNuts said:
    The BLACK LIVES MATTER text looks just photoshopped in to me, not a new satellite image? 
    Indeed, a surprisingly bad photoshop for Apple I might add. The angle seems ok but that somewhat opaque grey dithering pattern is shockingly obvious.
    FTA most satellite imagery is months or years old so I think Apple did this to be expedient and the obviousness may even have been deliberate. If not it is a bit too expeditious and pretty sloppy.
    Apple says it is "new aerial photography overlaid over existing imagery." This has been done before, usually when a building or complex (like Apple Park) is done, or as a neighborhood is built out.
    iwantocommentwatto_cobradysamoriafastasleep
  • Reply 27 of 33
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    And they still can’t manage to update photography of my local Starbucks which has been up and running for years, but Apple Maps still shows it as under construction. I’ve sent in multiple requests which were acknowledged and never fixed.
    edited June 2020 cat52
  • Reply 28 of 33
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    And they still can’t manage to update photography of my local Starbucks which has been up and running for years, but Apple Maps still shows it as under construction. I’ve sent in multiple requests which were acknowledged and never fixed.
    Just go and deface it with some woke grafitti, and I'm sure it'll be updated in no time.
    SpamSandwichrazorpitmarklarkcat52
  • Reply 29 of 33
    bluefire1 said:
    While I applaud Tim Cook speaking out on social issues that he feels strongly about, his product line should remain apolitical and not become a conduit for his views.
    A agree that politics should remain out of this, but this is human rights, no? I would think Republicans and Democrats (and others) all think equal treatment and representation is important, and that law enforcement should treat everyone equally. This is analogues to Product (RED) and the rainbow bands they sell for gay rights. It's the same thing; human rights, not political views...unless I was wrong about political parties not wanting equal rights for everyone. 
    dysamoriafastasleep
  • Reply 30 of 33
    p-dog said:
    Do you mean the protests, or by riots, do you mean the violent rioting cops? Either way, they are almost too numerous to count.
    You must not live in a large city. In Minneapolis, Los Angeles (and Long Beach, Santa Monica, etc), New York City, San Francisco... the rioting and looting has been a huge wave of destruction.

Its not surprising to me that arms sales are through the roof in all of these (formerly) “gun control” promoting cities. That issue is dead now.

I live in Chicago. I went to multiple protests and they were peaceful. Looters were a an unfortunate and loud minority. The ones that focus on that aspect have their minds made up on the issue and I cannot help you with that unfortunately. I do not condone anything they did an and looters should go to jail. Last Saturday, 30k of us protested in Chicago. It was completely peaceful. No cops in riot gear, no altercations. You should focus on that since it's the most recent and relevant piece of news and proves that this is about peaceful protesting. Focus on the progress.

Also "purchasing guns" is fine. "Gun control" is what people want more of. The issue is not dead. I still don't want mentally unwell people buying guns. So "gun control" is not dead. This has always been so crystal clear yet so completely misunderstood somehow. 
    edited June 2020 sphericfastasleep
  • Reply 31 of 33
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,929member
    I used to take mild umbrage with the phrase "Black Lives Matter," then I heard an activist on the radio last year talking about the Black Lives Matter movement. When the host asked him why it wasn't ALL lives matter he gave this analogy:

"If your house is on fire and no one is doing anything you would say MY house matters. That doesn't mean that it's ok for the other houses to burn but your house is the one that's on fire."

This is exactly the point. It's not that all lives aren't important. They are but blacks are far disproportionately affected and getting killed; Think of it as "Black lives matter, too"

sphericiwantocommentRayz2016dysamoriafastasleep
  • Reply 32 of 33
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,563member
  • Reply 33 of 33
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,929member
    p-dog said:

I grew up in Minneapolis and live in a suburb now. I'm ashamed and embarrassed by the actions of the Minneapolis police. I'm also incredibly angry that a small minority of people saw fit to riot, loot and destroy part of my city. And yet even after this we see images of police clubbing peaceful demonstrators, shoving a 75 year old man to the ground and leaving him bleeding and unconscious, firing rubber bullets at people who are standing on their own porches doing nothing but watching. Violence and more violence. Why?
    Rayz2016jony0Xedsphericdysamoriafastasleep
This discussion has been closed.