Apple should buy DuckDuckGo to limit reliance on Google, analyst says

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2020
Bernstein analyst Toni Sacconaghi in a note to investors this week investigated a theoretical Apple acquisition of search engine DuckDuckGo, saying the tech giant could stand to benefit from major platform gains with minimal impact to its bottom line.

DuckDuckGo

Relayed by Barron's, Sacconaghi in the investor note argues that, while Google is the world's dominant web search engine player, Apple is in a relatively strong position to apply pressure to the Alphabet company.

Currently, Google pays between $7 billion and $8 billion a year to be the default search engine for iOS and Siri, the analyst estimates. That figure equates to approximately 30% of an estimated $25 billion in ad revenue Google generates from Apple devices.

Alphabet is willing to pay the hefty sum in part to fend off attempts by Microsoft's Bing and Yahoo to replace Google as Apple's default search engine. Google also has the option to pull out of the deal if it can capture 70% of its current iOS search revenue by pushing users to Google.com, Sacconaghi says.

Google's position, however, might be less advantageous than it appears.

"However, we suspect the company's fear of rocking the boat' -- which could compromise $15 billion in profits it captures today from iOS -- may ultimately limit its freedom of action with Apple," Sacconaghi writes. "Conversely, Apple may be in a stronger position than at first glance, given it controls the keys to the kingdom on who can monetize iOS search. However, it remains uncomfortably dependent on Bing to act as a counterweight to Google -- hence our suggestion that Apple acquire its own search engine."

To that end, Sacconaghi floats the idea of a DuckDuckGo acquisition for under $1 billion. Along with a fairly small workforce of less than 100 employees, DuckDuckGo would be a good fit considering the firm shares Apple's views on user privacy and advertising strategies.

"To be certain, we doubt an Apple-owned DuckDuckGo could ever generate profits sufficient to make back the $7 billion to $8 billion a year currently paid by Google," Sacconaghi writes. "Nevertheless, Apple would still likely be better off than a worst-case scenario where it had no backup, and Google or Microsoft (one or the other) withdrew from the bidding process altogether."

The analyst notes such an acquisition could invite scrutiny from government antitrust agencies, and would still leave Apple somewhat reliant on Bing (DuckDuckGo uses Microsoft's web crawler). Overall, however, an Apple-controlled DuckDuckGo would provide the iPhone maker a prime opportunity to further detach itself from Google, a long and drawn-out process years in the making.

Apple first built DuckDuckGo integration into mobile Safari in iOS 8, allowing users to select the search engine, as well as alternatives Yahoo and Bing, in the Settings app. Bing was the default search engine for Siri until 2017, when Apple transitioned to Google for a more "consistent web search experience."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    An interesting opinion. Glad I'm not in charge of a decision like this at Apple. My gut is NO! It's just one more thing Apple doesn't need to tackle. And Google has a hell of a lead, right now, in search. So a second rate, 'bad' search solution would not help Apple.
  • Reply 2 of 27
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,729member
    An interesting opinion. Glad I'm not in charge of a decision like this at Apple. My gut is NO! It's just one more thing Apple doesn't need to tackle. And Google has a hell of a lead, right now, in search. So a second rate, 'bad' search solution would not help Apple.
    Google also had (some even say still has) a hell of lead in maps.
    newBelieverDogperson
  • Reply 3 of 27
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,281member
    Since when is Duck-Duck-Go second rate? I’ve used it for a long time and it works great. I’d live to see Apple buy them. Don’t understand why you think Apple can’t “tackle” things. As for anything Google, I’d love to see them fold. All they do is sell user data, they don’t really provide a service to users. 
    Bart YelijahgbaconstangPetrolDaveqwerty52GeorgeBMacwatto_cobraDogpersonmac_dog
  • Reply 4 of 27
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,516member
    Maybe they could keep google as the default (and thus the billions) but offer DDG as the “private@ or “safe” search mode 
    PetrolDavewatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 27
    bulk001bulk001 Posts: 775member
    I switched to DDO last week and switched back to Google today. Now that I know it uses Bing it all makes sense. If Apple does buy it they should work on their own web crawler - the way it shows results and the quality of those results is just not very good. Would leave google at the drop of a hat if it was!
  • Reply 6 of 27
    viclauyycviclauyyc Posts: 849member
    I try to used DDG for a bit but the search result is far from optimal. When use google, the best result is usually the top 3 if not the first one. But in DDG I will need to go through a few page if I am lucky. 

Like it or not, your own search history is actually help to narrow down your new search. DDG’s main selling point is actually hurt the result.
  • Reply 7 of 27
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,479member
    viclauyyc said:
    Like it or not, your own search history is actually help to narrow down your new search. DDG’s main selling point is actually hurt the result.
    And here, class, we have a perfect example of how much data people will allow to be taken from them and sold to manipulators for the tiniest bit of convenience.
    newBelieverGeorgeBMacbaconstangwatto_cobraDogperson
  • Reply 8 of 27
    qwerty52qwerty52 Posts: 367member
    rob53 said:
    Since when is Duck-Duck-Go second rate? I’ve used it for a long time and it works great. I’d live to see Apple buy them. Don’t understand why you think Apple can’t “tackle” things. As for anything Google, I’d love to see them fold. All they do is sell user data, they don’t really provide a service to users. 
    I always use Duck-Duck-Go, and l’m very happy with it. And yes, I never use Google!
    baconstangwatto_cobraDogperson
  • Reply 9 of 27
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,982member
    Apple should have done this a long time ago. 

No need to abdicate to google. 

They did maps. May as well do search. 

Will there be catch up? Perhaps. But that’s ok. 

Let’s go. 

I also wish Apple would go into the ad business again. But I think they realize it’s a sleazy playpen and they don’t want any part of it. 
    qwerty52GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 27
    kimberlykimberly Posts: 434member
    I persevered with Vivaldi and DDG for about 9 months but IMO searching with Google returns much better results so Google it is. Can't resist this off-topic comment ... does Microsoft still have Bing? That abomination can't even return accurate searches on Microsoft's own products :D
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 11 of 27
    chasm said:
    viclauyyc said:
    And here, class, we have a perfect example of how much data people will allow to be taken from them and sold to manipulators for the tiniest bit of convenience.
    And here, class, we have a perfect example of factually inaccurate and intellectually dishonest info being pawned off as relevant.   You know they're not selling user data, but you have no qualms about insinuating they do.  Why is that?

rob53 said:
    Google sells user data?  I was unaware.  Maybe you could provide some source for that claim.  Just kidding, I know can't.  If Google was actually selling user data, there's no amount of cash that they could pay Apple to be the search provider.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 12 of 27
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,975member
    I’ve been using DDG for about a year and have generally been happy with it.  Once in a while I’ll switch over to google, and google has some things like reverse image search that DDG doesn’t have but overall DDV works fine for me. 

The other thing I’ve done is switched to private browsing. That combined with the fact that I almost never log into my google account means Google has very little information to go off of. Like viclauyyc said, part of the reason google gives better results is because they save data on you which is exactly why you would want to use DDG in the first place.
    baconstangwatto_cobraDogpersonrazorpit
  • Reply 13 of 27
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,938member
    This is the stupidest idea...
    DDG does not track and we can put some faith in that because it is not owned by a giant tech company, unlike Google or Bing. If Apple bought DDG then it would be assumed they are tracking the data. DDG would lose its raison d'être and those of us that use it would abandon the platform.

The only thing that Apple buying DDG would do is to destroy DDG.
    GeorgeBMacrazorpitSpamSandwich
  • Reply 14 of 27
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    DAalseth said:
    This is the stupidest idea...
    DDG does not track and we can put some faith in that because it is not owned by a giant tech company, unlike Google or Bing. If Apple bought DDG then it would be assumed they are tracking the data. DDG would lose its raison d'être and those of us that use it would abandon the platform.

The only thing that Apple buying DDG would do is to destroy DDG.
    I agree.  Apple don't need to own DuckDuckGo.  I would like to see them supporting them though.  Apple's stance on privacy rings a little hollow when they'll take Google's dollar to be the default search engine.
    baconstangDogperson
  • Reply 15 of 27
    CloudTalkinCloudTalkin Posts: 916member
    MplsP said:
    I’ve been using DDG for about a year and have generally been happy with it.  Once in a while I’ll switch over to google, and google has some things like reverse image search that DDG doesn’t have but overall DDV works fine for me. 

The other thing I’ve done is switched to private browsing. That combined with the fact that I almost never log into my google account means Google has very little information to go off of. Like viclauyyc said, part of the reason google gives better results is because they save data on you which is exactly why you would want to use DDG in the first place.
    Private browsing and not logging into your Google account will give you more peace of mind than actual privacy.  Private browsing doesn't prevent you from being tracked.  It prevents another user from seeing the sites you visited using a specific computer, but want no one to know about.  It also prevents your normal search results from being polluted by a visitor's or guest's usage of your browser.  It does not stop your ISP or some websites from seeing your browsing activities.  For example, Appleinsider uses both Google Adsense and Google Analytics.  Whether or not you're logged into your Google account, if you're on the same computer there's enough aggregate information out there (historical and current) to follow you from site to site with nary an issue.  Facebook does it better than anyone... even if you don't have a FB account.  

Without extraordinary efforts like ad blockers, vpns, and such, chances are good that you're being tracked.  

edited June 2020 muthuk_vanalingamqwerty52fastasleep
  • Reply 16 of 27
    EsquireCatsEsquireCats Posts: 1,268member
    Apple get many billions a year giving a lot of people the option they would likely choose by default. 

The alternative is that google pays nothing and a lot of those users switch their default browser to google anyway. 

Duckduckgo is really good, but google edges it out in some ways but especially with recently emerging trends and news. 

I use DuckDuckGo as my main search engine, then utilise google/bing/tineye when I’m not getting what I’m aiming for. 
    baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 27
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,975member
    MplsP said:

Private browsing and not logging into your Google account will give you more peace of mind than actual privacy.  Private browsing doesn't prevent you from being tracked.  It prevents another user from seeing the sites you visited using a specific computer, but want no one to know about.  It also prevents your normal search results from being polluted by a visitor's or guest's usage of your browser.  It does not stop your ISP or some websites from seeing your browsing activities.  For example, Appleinsider uses both Google Adsense and Google Analytics.  Whether or not you're logged into your Google account, if you're on the same computer there's enough aggregate information out there (historical and current) to follow you from site to site with nary an issue.  Facebook does it better than anyone... even if you don't have a FB account.  

Without extraordinary efforts like ad blockers, vpns, and such, chances are good that you're being tracked.  

Agreed - it's a bit of a cat and mouse game with the browser companies and the ad companies. And google, which is the world's biggest ad company. Still, private browsing definitely helps. I'm don't have the time or energy to make the jump to constantly using a VPN, using Tor, etc.

• Reply 18 of 27
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Buying DuckDuck makes sense.
    A big selling point for Apple is security and privacy ant this would close (part of) the privacy gap.

I avoid Google products as much as possible and this would make that easier -- particularly if Apple developed it out like they did with maps.
    Dogperson
  • Reply 19 of 27
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    I'm not sure if they need to buy a search company, but they DO need to hire someone who has a clue about search. As I've often said, Apple's search technologies in their products seem to be at the level of AltaVista in the 90s.

I've switched to DDG as my default (so probably do 95% of my searches that way, now), but every so often, I do run into having a hard time finding what I need and have to switch to Google. Their search tech is still considerably ahead of the rest. But, most of the time, I just don't need that advanced level, so am not willing to make the trade for it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 27
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,448member
    bulk001 said:
    I switched to DDO last week and switched back to Google today. Now that I know it uses Bing it all makes sense. If Apple does buy it they should work on their own web crawler - the way it shows results and the quality of those results is just not very good. Would leave google at the drop of a hat if it was!
    Bing is only one of several sources, from Wikipedia:
    DuckDuckGo's results are a compilation of "over 400" sources,[9] including Yahoo! Search BOSSWolfram AlphaBingYandex, its own web crawler (the DuckDuckBot) and others.[4][9][10][11] It also uses data from crowdsourced sites, including Wikipedia, to populate knowledge panel boxes to the right of the results

I've been using DDG for years. If I have any trouble finding what I'm looking for, I can always switch to Google using one of the DDG bangs to tell it to search Google instead, like "testing 123 !g" (there are many other bangs you can use to search particular sites etc). 

watto_cobracgWerks