ElevationHub brings USB-A & SD card reader to Apple's USB-C charger

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2020
Elevation Lab's new ElevationHub brings some cord management and some additional connectivity to Apple's USB-C power adapter.

ElevationHub for keeps your cable in check and brings USB-A and SD ports
ElevationHub for keeps your cable in check and brings USB-A and SD ports

ElevationHub connects to the USB-C port on Apple's iPad Pro, MacBook Air or MacBook Pro and brings back cord management after Apple ditched it with the switch to USB-C. Instead of the pop-out "wings" that Apple used to use on power adapters, the ElevationCord wraps around the power adapter and is retained with a velcro strap.

The adapter also includes a USB 3.0 Type-A port and an SD card reader which interface with a Mac or iPad Pro through the USB-C port. That port passes through power, provides USB 3.1 type A connectivity, and an SD card reader.

ElevationHub is a great MacBook Air or MacBook Pro companion
ElevationHub is a great portable Mac companion

Users can use Apple's own USB-C cable that has USB 2.0 speeds, or can upgrade for $10 to Elevation Lab's USB 3.1 Type-C cable which can handle faster data speeds at 5Gbps versus the 480Mbps with Apple's power cable.

Charging is limited to 60W. This is sufficient for full power on an iPad Pro, 13-inch MacBook Pro, or 2020 MacBook Air. However, it isn't enough power to charge a 16-inch MacBook Pro at full speed, or maintain the larger MacBook Pro's battery at full charge while the computer is under load.

ElevationHub is up for preorder today for $49.95 direct from Elevation Lab's website with the USB-C 3.0 braided cable and $39.95 without. At launch, there is also a 20 percent disount with code TIDY.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    svanstromsvanstrom Posts: 702member
    USB-C is great in theory, but it seems like every damn accessory is in the business of downgrading the equipment (and users) it attaches to; like "nice 96W charger, but now it's 60W, and you get to crawl around on the floor for the extra ports".
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    svanstrom said:
    USB-C is great in theory, but it seems like every damn accessory is in the business of downgrading the equipment (and users) it attaches to; like "nice 96W charger, but now it's 60W, and you get to crawl around on the floor for the extra ports".
    While I'd prefer it be at least 87W for my 15-inch MacBook Pro, this would work really well for the train trips that I periodically take. 

That said, if you want it on a desk, just use a long cable instead of the duckbill AC end.
    pulseimagesjeffharrischasmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 5
    svanstrom said:
    While I'd prefer it be at least 87W for my 15-inch MacBook Pro, this would work really well for the train trips that I periodically take. 

That said, if you want it on a desk, just use a long cable instead of the duckbill AC end.
    From their website it also perfectly fits the 97 watt charger too. 
    It’s really quite a nice product for travel. 
    Most often I need to carry a charger when I travel even for a day, but seldom use it

chasmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 5
    svanstromsvanstrom Posts: 702member
    svanstrom said:

From their website it also perfectly fits the 97 watt charger too. 
    It’s really quite a nice product for travel. 
    Most often I need to carry a charger when I travel even for a day, but seldom use it
    It physically fits, but it "[o]utputs up to 61W"; so that's all you get out of it.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,294member
    Even the 61W should be enough to keep it charged (if in use for light duties) and charge it (slowly), so it's a perfectly fine addition for us 87W 15-inch owners. As seen in the picture accompanying the article, that legacy USB Port is PERFECT for not tying up your MacBook with something like a USB-A PC wireless keyboard or mouse dongle if you use one for some reason, or for charging a Lightning or MicroUSB device while charging your Mac overnight without having to bring extra wires/CC readers. I think it could be well worth the money for many.

But for you 16-inch or other power-hungry machine owners, there are also reputable companies making "GaN" 90W USB wall chargers. I recently bought a USB Consortium-certified one by Insignia (now owned by Best Buy) that included a detachable eight-foot USB-C cable (note, though, that the cord is likewise only USB 2.0 when it comes to data speeds, but it's a charging cable not a data cable). I got it on sale for $50. I understand there may be a two-USBC port model of it as well, but I didn't need it.

For me, USB-C/TB3 (soon to be known as "USB4" for all intents and purposes) has been a godsend -- the one plug to rule them all at last. For the (incredibly modest) price of a USB-C hub, I can have all the legacy ports I might need, plus video -- and with them operating at max speed. The speed at which I'm finding less and less need for legacy ports (apart from video, as I do a lot of presentations) has surprised me.
    watto_cobra