Apple Watch Fall Detection helps save 92-year-old farmer after fall

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2020
A 92-year-old retired Nebraska farmer is crediting the Apple Watch Fall Detection feature with saving his life after a 21-foot fall.

Credit: Apple
Credit: Apple

The Apple Watch that the man, Jim Salsman of Grant, Nebraska, was wearing automatically alerted emergency services after he took the plunge about a month ago.

Salsman had been climbing the ladder to secure a grain bin from pigeons. Once he was on it, the wind had pushed and sent him falling 21 feet the ground. "It was just a dumb stupid mistake on my part,' Salsman told local media outlet KETV.

After he hit the ground, Salsman said he was in a lot of pain. He activated "Hey Siri" on his Apple Watch, telling it that he was "hurt bad on the farm."

But by the time he activated the digital assistant, first responders from the Grant Volunteer Fire Department had already been alerted to the fall with details on his current location.

The retired farmer is still recovering from a broken hip and other injuries at the Madonna Rehabilitation Hospital in Lincoln. He said if it wasn't for his Apple Watch, he might not have been so lucky.

"If I didn't have this watch, I think I would've been dead before anybody missed me," Salsman said. "I really do."

This isn't the first time an Apple Watch user has credited the feature for helping to save them in an emergency. In 2019, Fall Detection summoned first responders after a Norwegian man took a midnight fall and fractured his skull. It also contacted 911 when a 87-year-old woman got into a car crash in June of that year.

The Apple Watch Fall Detection feature can automatically detect if a user takes a hard impact or fall. Once it does, it prompts the user to see if they're okay -- and automatically contacts emergency services if they don't respond within a minute.

First introduced on the Apple Watch Series 4, Fall Detection is enabled by default for wearers 65 years and older. Everyone else has to manually turn it on.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    payecopayeco Posts: 581member
    The real story here is a 92 year old man is 1. still working and 2. survived a 21 foot fall. What a tough old guy!
    jdgazsteve_jobsviclauyycroundaboutnowRayz2016GG1jony0macguiGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 2 of 23
    XedXed Posts: 2,814member
    I love these stories. The Apple Watch is an underrated device by the general public. I look forward to what new health and safety features they release.
    svanstromwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 23
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    All old people should have an Apple watch. All people in general should have one if you ask me, but especially old people who are more susceptible to falling and not being able to get up.

The cost of an Apple watch is peanuts compared to what it provides. Just one visit to the doctor can easily cost more than an Apple watch.

I look forward to seeing what new medical and health features Apple will be putting in future versions. It'll only become more of an essential item.
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 23
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,406member
    apple ][ said:
    All old people should have an Apple watch. All people in general should have one if you ask me, but especially old people who are more susceptible to falling and not being able to get up.

The cost of an Apple watch is peanuts compared to what it provides. Just one visit to the doctor can easily cost more than an Apple watch.

I look forward to seeing what new medical and health features Apple will be putting in future versions. It'll only become more of an essential item.
    Yeah, but unfortunately many of the elderly people at the most risk are not comfortable with tech or can't even to put it on or manage the routine charging responsibilities.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 23
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    mike1 said:
    Yeah, but unfortunately many of the elderly people at the most risk are not comfortable with tech or can't even to put it on or manage the routine charging responsibilities.
    Yes, that is true. Some older people in my own family are totally clueless about tech. 

I guess that it's up to those who are more tech savvy to set up the devices for the older people in their family and show them how to use it with the least amount of hassle/effort.
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 23
    My grandpa was climbing ladders at 88 and it scared everyone in the neighborhood but he was sure-footed. 
    edited June 2020 GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 23
    bonobobbonobob Posts: 392member
    payeco said:
    The real story here is a 92 year old man is 1. still working and 2. survived a 21 foot fall. What a tough old guy!
    ...and 3. Techie enough to have the watch in the first place.
    Rayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 23
    svanstromsvanstrom Posts: 702member
    A bit of a stereotype type of a situation, but I was living alone with cats; and realised that an almost-fall in the bathtub would have gone real bad if I'd been older or had had a bit more bad luck… So not really neurotic, but… having a fall detector with a built-in phone suddenly seemed like one of those must-haves.

I wouldn't mind a few more detectors (blood sugar, heart attack, "general dying"), but I already feel like my AW is pushing the survival-rate odds a bit more in my favour.

And then there's all the health data it collects, that it allows me to stay connect without having to carry my phone all the time, that I get select notifications, straight from the watch can archive less important emails; and so on.
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 23
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    mike1 said:
    apple ][ said:

Those are the typical excuses....    Bullshit....   But, as we see everyday in national news, bullshit works when one wants it to work.
    tht
  • Reply 10 of 23
    My grandpa was climbing ladders at 88 and it scared everyone in the neighborhood but he was sure-footed. 

In my lifetime it was expected that most would be sick and ready to die by 65 -- the retirement age by which one was deemed to be too sick and decrepit to be of any use to society.   And, generally speaking, they were right.   So, society put them out to pasture.

That is changing....
    First the healthcare industry developed enough pills and procedures to keep those beat up old seniors alive.   They were/are still sick and decrepit, but alive.
    But, more recently, we are seeing research showing that lifestyle has a very significant impact on what we have traditionally thought of as "normal aging" -- where one gets old, gets sick and then, eventually, dies.  That lifestye is simple:  a healthy diet and daily exercise -- which promotes, among other things, a healthy weight.

I love the quote from Dr. John McDougall who worked as the physician on a plantation in Hawaii decades ago.   He speaks of the immigrants who came from Asian countries to work there:   "The first generation were fit and fully functional into their 80's and 90's.   The next generation were fatter and sicker as they adopted more of the western lifestyle.   But the third generation were just as fat and sick as any American as they fully adopted the western lifestyle."

Unfortunately, in America, healthy lifestyles have become marginalized by the medical industry who recognize it as a competitor.  (One of my sports medicine physicians once told me:  "Any doctor who practices lifestyle medicine does not last long in this town".)   And outright attacked by the western food industry who see it as a threat their existence.   (CocaCola tells us:  "There are no bad calories", "Everything in moderation", etc..)

As this 92 year old, standing at the top of a 20 foot ladder, demonstrates:   We need to rethink our concepts of aging, what effects are caused by chronological years and which by disease, disuse and misuse, and what healthy aging is -- and how to do it.   Do we really need to spend the last 10, 20 or 30 years of our lives fat, sick demented and debilitated?
    .... Most Americans list that as their worst fear -- higher even than dying.   But when you ask them to put the pizza down they say:  "Oh!  I could never do that!"
    tht
  • Reply 11 of 23
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,077member
    apple ][ said:
    mike1 said:
    Yes, that is true. Some older people in my own family are totally clueless about tech. 

I guess that it's up to those who are more tech savvy to set up the devices for the older people in their family and show them how to use it with the least amount of hassle/effort.
    That's true.   My departed dad fell and broke his hip just like in those commercials.    He never like technology stuff and didn't want to carry even an old flip-phone.    But I expect that as those in their 60's age now they won't have any problem with technology.    The guy in the story was in his 90's.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 12 of 23
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,077member

Xed said:
    I love these stories. The Apple Watch is an underrated device by the general public. I look forward to what new health and safety features they release.
    They need something that will detect the CoronaVirus.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    k2kw said:
    apple ][ said:
    mike1 said:

That's true.   My departed dad fell and broke his hip just like in those commercials.    He never like technology stuff and didn't want to carry even an old flip-phone.    But I expect that as those in their 60's age now they won't have any problem with technology.    The guy in the story was in his 90's.

Yes, one of the biggest dangers to seniors is ageism:   Generalizations saying that:   "Old people always __________"
    In truth, it is seniors leading much of the technical revolution.

• Reply 14 of 23
    Daisy25Daisy25 Posts: 3member
    Most of us would be more than happy just to reach our 90s with reasonable health and this legend has survived a 21-foot fall. AWESOME, not to forget apple watch helped him too :)
    thtGG1watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 23
    k2kw said:
    apple ][ said:
    mike1 said:

Yes, one of the biggest dangers to seniors is ageism:   Generalizations saying that:   "Old people always __________"

Interesting. I couldn't find any articles showing that seniors are leading in technology adoption in anything. While I love to see seniors with a newer Apple Watch I have to assume that they are not the largest group of wearers by any measure.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    Xed said:
    k2kw said:
    apple ][ said:
    mike1 said:

Interesting. I couldn't find any articles showing that seniors are leading in technology adoption in anything. While I love to see seniors with a newer Apple Watch I have to assume that they are not the largest group of wearers by any measure.

There's more to technology than the Apple Watch.   And, seniors tend to be very active in it.  Yeh, there are those still using flip-phones but not many -- and the same could be said for the younger set as well.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    Xed said:
    k2kw said:
    apple ][ said:
    mike1 said:

There's more to technology than the Apple Watch.   And, seniors tend to be very active in it.  Yeh, there are those still using flip-phones but not many -- and the same could be said for the younger set as well.
    OK, so which technological revolution is being adopted more by seniors than any other group? 
  • Reply 18 of 23
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member
    My Apple watch has given me 5 false fall notifications. On two occasions I was loading the back of my car. The one time I really did trip over my cat in the dark landing between the coffee table and the couch my watch had nothing to report. Still have a mark on my knee from hitting the table. 
  • Reply 19 of 23
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    kent909 said:
    My Apple watch has given me 5 false fall notifications. On two occasions I was loading the back of my car. The one time I really did trip over my cat in the dark landing between the coffee table and the couch my watch had nothing to report. Still have a mark on my knee from hitting the table. 
    I'm going to take a guess at this one.

The watch is probably detecting a downward movement finishing with a sudden arrest of motion. 

When you lift heavy objects into the car, you're probably slamming down the item quite hard, rather than slowly placing it, which is why the watch thinks you've fallen.

When you fell over your cat, you probably didn't fall quickly, as you struck the coffee table first, then probably crumpled to the floor, rather than slamming straight into it as demonstrated here:

You probably needed to fall faster.

Or better yet, switch on the light.
    edited June 2020 GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 23
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Mrs Rayz2016 doesn't allow me to climb a ladder unless she's holding it.

I'm also not allowed to moonwalk in the living room following the 'heirloom incident'.

edited June 2020 watto_cobra