Apple unveils iOS 14, iPadOS 14 with major Siri, Apple Maps, Messages improvements

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 43
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,691member
    crowley said:
    Xed said:
    I'm sure someone will come in here claiming that others had widgets first even though those OSes didn't predate when Apple first offered widgets.
    In what form did Apple offer widgets on iOS before Android?
    Apple had widgets on OS X before Android was a thing. Thus the notion that they never thought of them before is silly. They choose what they want to implement and when for their own reasons. 
    But whenever this is the other way around, it's a 'knock off'. That notion was absurd before and is absurd now. 

I didn't see the show but was somewhat surprised by some of the bigger industry names in the commentary sector all pointing out that many of the new features were already implemented on Android. 

What works, works. That's all there is to it. Ideas come from everywhere. The better ones stick around or get tweaked over time. 

Picture in picture is a nice option to have. Siri not using so much screen space is common sense etc. iOS will be better for it. That's why these features are there in the first place. 

• Reply 42 of 43
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,691member

kkqd1337 said:
    Can't wait to change my default mail app. Not really seeing anything else immediately interesting.

All this faff around messages/emoji's is very nothing IMO. What they really need to do is offer an iMessage app for android; this would open up it's use 100 fold.

Why wouldn't they want to compete with WhatsApp? I don't get it.
    And what benefit would that give Apple? iMessage is a selling point for iPhones.
    This might be a country specific thing. I have no memory of any iPhone user I know using Messages for IM. It's WhatsApp or Telegram that dominate here and what iPhone users use by default.
    edited June 2020
  • Reply 43 of 43
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,418member
    avon b7 said:

kkqd1337 said:
    Can't wait to change my default mail app. Not really seeing anything else immediately interesting.

All this faff around messages/emoji's is very nothing IMO. What they really need to do is offer an iMessage app for android; this would open up it's use 100 fold.

Why wouldn't they want to compete with WhatsApp? I don't get it.
    And what benefit would that give Apple? iMessage is a selling point for iPhones.
    This might be a country specific thing. I have no memory of any iPhone user I know using Messages for IM. It's WhatsApp or Telegram that dominate here and what iPhone users use by default.
    I've never used either of those things ever in my entire life. ¯\(°_o)/¯