Apple Silicon Mac, iOS 14, macOS Big Sur, and why you shouldn't install betas on the Apple...

Posted:
in General Discussion
Many newly uncovered features of iOS, iPadOS, macOS, suggestions for those wanting to install the developer betas on their devices, the Apple Silicon revolution, and more from WWDC on the AppleInsider Podcast.

Since the release of iOS 14, iPadOS 14, and macOS developer betas, we've discovered lots of new features that weren't mentioned during the WWDC keynote. We discuss our experience with widgets on the home screen, Shortcuts, privacy controls, watch OS 7, and Apple's new Scribble feature on the iPad Pro.

While macOS Big Sur received a significant design update, more details have now been uncovered on how it will work on the Apple Silicon based Macs coming later this year, including startup key command changes and the end of Boot Camp.

After briefly discussing HomePod, AirPods Pro and tvOS updates, your hosts compare their software wish lists and what was rumored but didn't come at this year's WWDC, like Apple "AirTags". Finally, we offer recommendations for those wanting to install the developer betas on their Apple devices.

If you have questions you'd like answered on the show, tweet at Stephen Robles and William Gallagher, or email us here. Find us in your favorite podcast player by searching for "AppleInsider" and support the show by leaving a 5-Star rating and comment in Apple Podcasts here.

Sponsored by:

Links from the Show

AppleInsider Videos on YouTube

Those interested in sponsoring the show can reach out to us at: [email protected]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    xgmanxgman Posts: 159member
    I find the ios betas a lot easier to live with than the OSX ones.  OSX has too many incompatibilities and stability issues. IOS is pretty straight forward and seems generally fine to me to use.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    jeromecjeromec Posts: 192member
    Except that you can easily keep your current macOS install and install the beta on a separate APFS volume. You can't install a beta iOS, iPadOS or tvOS and keep the current non beta version.
    Even worse, for tvOS on Apple TV 4K and watchOS, you can't go back to the non beta version.
    stephenrobles
  • Reply 3 of 7
    stephenroblesstephenrobles Posts: 91member, moderator, editor
    xgman said:
    I find the ios betas a lot easier to live with than the OSX ones.  OSX has too many incompatibilities and stability issues. IOS is pretty straight forward and seems generally fine to me to use.
    iOS 14 was surprisingly stable on my iPad too. Depends on the year, but I agree, MacOS beta can cause more compatibility issues overall. 
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    jeromec said:
    Except that you can easily keep your current macOS install and install the beta on a separate APFS volume. You can't install a beta iOS, iPadOS or tvOS and keep the current non beta version.
    Even worse, for tvOS on Apple TV 4K and watchOS, you can't go back to the non beta version.
    As long as that APFS volume is in a different CONTAINER, like an external drive and don't link it to your iCloud account, okay. Regarding the container, at least the first beta of macOS 11 in the same container prevents OS software upgrades in the older OS.

And, it isn't guaranteed that stability will increase at the betas progress. They can get less stable before release, and notably have for the last four years of summer betas.
    edited June 2020 fastasleep
  • Reply 5 of 7
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,066member
    I would never install a beta on an Apple Insider Podcast. They are fine as-is. 
    stephenrobles
  • Reply 6 of 7
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,124member
    xgman said:
    Until you permanently lose photos or other data. Yes, it happens.  Beta should not be used unless you are willing to accept the consequences. 
    stephenrobles
  • Reply 7 of 7
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,095member
    It's not "why you shouldn't install betas". but more like "quit whining for installing betas on one's main computer!"

Seriously... anyone that does this and then goes around complaining on forums that the beta caused a problem on their one, only Mac... they get what they deserve.
    stephenrobles