Apple TV+ lands 'Emancipation' in record-breaking deal

Posted:
in General Discussion edited July 2020
Apple has acquired the rights to Will Smith movie "Emancipation" in what is described as the largest film festival acquisition deal in the industry's history.

Credit: Deadline
Credit: Deadline

The Cupertino tech giant reportedly spent around $100 million net to acquire world rights to "Emancipation," an action-thriller about a slave on the run during the Civil War, for Apple TV+. Apple Studios will produce the film.

"Emancipation" will star Will Smith as Peter, a runaway slave who is forced to "outwit cold-blooded hunters and the unforgiving swamps of Louisiana on a tortuous journey North where he joined the Union Army." The film, directed by Antoine Fuqua and based on a script by William N. Collage, is based on a true story.

The feature will be produced by Smith, alongside James Lassiter and Jon Mone, through Westbrook Studios. Joey McFarland and Todd Black will also produce. Along with directing the project, Fuqua will executive produce under the Fuqua Films banner with Cliff Roberts.

Apple snagged the film package in a competitive environment, and there are reports of seven bidders when the package was brought to market in late June as the Virtual Cannes festival's signature film.

Bidding surged past $75 million as the buyers were whittled down to Apple and Warner Bros, according to Deadline. The iPhone maker won out, and although there isn't a hard number, the bid is said to be upwards of $100 million.

Reportedly, the intention is said to begin production on "Emancipation" sometime in 2021. The film will open in theaters before being released on Apple TV+.

"Emancipation" is only the latest film that Apple has acquired in recent months. In June, Apple also secured rights to Israel-Iranian spy thriller "Tehran" and Julianne Moore con artist film "Sharper."

The company also acquired the rights to Tom Hanks-led WWII film "Greyhound" in May. It's slated to debut on Apple TV+ on July 10.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Now this sounds like my kind of movie, but will I take out an Apple TV+ sub to see it? Well … probably, but how many others will?

I hope Apple offers it for purchase, then rental.

Edit: Nope! I read that wrong. It's going to theatres first! Okay, all good then.

They're hoping to snag an Oscar or two I bet. Personally, I think if they didn't give Smith an Oscar for Ali or The Pursuit of Happyness then I'm not sure what else he can do.
    edited July 2020
  • Reply 2 of 24
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Tim Cook just burning piles of money these days. For $100 million in an environment where there’s no longer that thing we once knew as “theatrical distribution”, this is an insane expense. And film productions aren’t even running at 100% anymore. Crowd scenes aren’t possible unless digital crowds are used and they only work as distant backgrounds.
    edited July 2020
  • Reply 3 of 24
    geekmeegeekmee Posts: 646member
    What we’re watching is a different version of.... ‘How the West was Won’
    edited July 2020
  • Reply 4 of 24
    ronnronn Posts: 681member
    The movie is based on the shocking photo and life of "Whipped Peter" 
    https://www.history.com/news/whipped-peter-slavery-photo-scourged-back-real-story-civil-war
    OferGG1
  • Reply 5 of 24
    pujones1pujones1 Posts: 222member
    $100 million for one movie? Seriously? How much more content could have been purchased with that amount? These big mega deals aren't going to fill a catalog or back catalog. We need more genre in this thing. Anime, Asian, Stand-up.....different things. This needs to speed up and stop getting these type of deals that cost so much. Get some live stuff too.

I hope they continue to give this away when I buy my iPhone 12. That will be the only way I stick with it right now.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 6 of 24
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,227member
    $100+ million for a movie that hasn't been produced and hasn't even been filmed? We don't even know if the pandemic will be behind us by end of 2021.
    edited July 2020 SpamSandwich
  • Reply 7 of 24
    pujones1 said:
    $100 million for one movie? Seriously? How much more content could have been purchased with that amount? These big mega deals aren't going to fill a catalog or back catalog. We need more genre in this thing. Anime, Asian, Stand-up.....different things. This needs to speed up and stop getting these type of deals that cost so much. Get some live stuff too.

I hope they continue to give this away when I buy my iPhone 12. That will be the only way I stick with it right now.
    No one alive today was responsible for the evils of the past and no one alive today suffered from those evils. Tim and the Apple board’s “collective guilt” over the past shouldn’t be driving spending decisions to appease radical Marxists who are part of a movement to guilt trip “woke” progressives into wild spending in order to cure imaginary widespread ills.
    edited July 2020
  • Reply 8 of 24
    pujones1 said:

F No one alive today was responsible for the evils of the past and no one alive today suffered from those evils. Tim and the Apple board’s “collective guilt” over the past shouldn’t be driving spending decisions to appease radical Marxists who are part of a movement to guilt trip “woke” progressives into wild spending in order to cure imaginary widespread ills.

You sir are clearly out of touch. People like you are apart of the old guard that will soon die off. You’re clearly unhappy with your life, but I doubt you actually have one. The buying of this movie has nothing to do with guilt but it’s an attempt to be inclusive. They want to invest into a movie about black folks. Why does that trigger you?

[Deleted User]OferronnlolliverRayz2016
  • Reply 9 of 24
    seanismorrisseanismorris Posts: 1,624member
    I like Will Smith but he’s not A-list.  That was a lot of money...

I went and searched Smith’s movies.  The best was Ali.  

Tried to watch the trailer, and got the message “this video might be inappropriate for some users”...???

Ali made $87.7 million in the box office.  It also didn’t score as high as I thought it should have.

Will this movie do better?  Apple didn’t even buy those rights...
  • Reply 10 of 24
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Tim Cook just burning piles of money these days. For $100 million in an environment where there’s no longer that thing we once knew as “theatrical distribution”, this is an insane expense. And film productions aren’t even running at 100% anymore. Crowd scenes aren’t possible unless digital crowds are used and they only work as distant backgrounds.

If this movie becomes huge like Independence Day or M.I.B. then it would be worth the residual cash and new subscribers. I think that's the idea.

I like Will Smith but he’s not A-list.

WHO's bigger than Will Smith?! He's THE A-list celebrity.
    lolliverronn
  • Reply 11 of 24
    XedXed Posts: 2,836member
    This looks excellent so far. If Apple keeps this up it will be another HBO with high-quality, original content.
    If Apple was making a movie about how wonderful it was for GI Bills to exclude African-American vets from getting low-interest loans so they could build equity in the US after serving WWII, or how redlining and segregation were wonderful things, then I'm sure you'd change your tune and would be eating Jim Crow.
    edited July 2020 lolliverBeatsRayz2016ronn
  • Reply 12 of 24
    pujones1 said:

F No one alive today was responsible for the evils of the past and no one alive today suffered from those evils. Tim and the Apple board’s “collective guilt” over the past shouldn’t be driving spending decisions to appease radical Marxists who are part of a movement to guilt trip “woke” progressives into wild spending in order to cure imaginary widespread ills.

You sir are clearly out of touch. People like you are apart of the old guard that will soon die off. You’re clearly unhappy with your life, but I doubt you actually have one. The buying of this movie has nothing to do with guilt but it’s an attempt to be inclusive. They want to invest into a movie about black folks. Why does that trigger you?

This is about the questionable use of Apple’s money to bet $100 million on one movie... not racism. Grow up.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    payecopayeco Posts: 581member
    pujones1 said:

This is about the questionable use of Apple’s money to bet $100 million on one movie... not racism. Grow up.
    Spending $100 million to get an A-list actor in a film directed by an A-list director is a questionable use of money now?
    BeatsRayz2016ronn
  • Reply 14 of 24
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    pujones1 said:

Ummmm your first comment was nothing of this sort. Read it again.
    Rayz2016ronnXed
  • Reply 15 of 24
    Rayz2016 said:
    Now this sounds like my kind of movie, but will I take out an Apple TV+ sub to see it? Well … probably, but how many others will?

Edit: Nope! I read that wrong. It's going to theatres first! Okay, all good then.

They're hoping to snag an Oscar or two I bet. Personally, I think if they didn't give Smith an Oscar for Ali or The Pursuit of Happyness then I'm not sure what else he can do.
    You say that like Apple TV+ is unreasonably priced... you could subscribe for a month for the cost of a single rental.
    ronnBeats
  • Reply 16 of 24
    Rayz2016 said:

You say that like Apple TV+ is unreasonably priced... you could subscribe for a month for the cost of a single rental.
    Er no … I didn’t say Apple TV+ was unreasonably priced. I asked if this movie would encourage people to subscribe. But since it is aiming for a theatrical release it doesn’t really matter. This is Apple getting into the mainstream movie biz. 
  • Reply 17 of 24

I like Will Smith but he’s not A-list.  That was a lot of money...

I went and searched Smith’s movies.  The best was Ali.  

Tried to watch the trailer, and got the message “this video might be inappropriate for some users”...???

Ali made $87.7 million in the box office.  It also didn’t score as high as I thought it should have.

Will this movie do better?  Apple didn’t even buy those rights...
    Will Smith has been A-list for the past ten years. I think the Pursuit of Happyness was the best film he’s done, but that’s just me. 
    ronnBeats
  • Reply 18 of 24
    ronn said:
    The movie is based on the shocking photo and life of "Whipped Peter" 
    https://www.history.com/news/whipped-peter-slavery-photo-scourged-back-real-story-civil-war
    Thanks for posting. I’d seen the picture, but I didn’t know the story behind it. This should’ve been a movie long ago. 
    ronnBeats
  • Reply 19 of 24
    pujones1 said:

No one alive today was responsible for the evils of the past and no one alive today suffered from those evils. Tim and the Apple board’s “collective guilt” over the past shouldn’t be driving spending decisions to appease radical Marxists who are part of a movement to guilt trip “woke” progressives into wild spending in order to cure imaginary widespread ills.

You missed the point, unsurprisingly. Those who are alive today are still perpetuating the evils of the past. 

When a nation doesn’t address the evils of its past, or educate its people about them, then it will continue  those evils far into the future. 

And since the US (apart from you obviously) is waking up to the existence of systemic racism, then this film will probably do very well. Apple is simply following the money. 
    edited July 2020 ronn
  • Reply 20 of 24

payeco said:
    pujones1 said:

Spending $100 million to get an A-list actor in a film directed by an A-list director is a questionable use of money now?
    Because it puts slavery and racism front and centre, and he thinks the way to move forward is to pretend it doesn’t exist?

edited July 2020 ronn