124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 63
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    qwerty52 said:
    gatorguy said:
    qwerty52 said:
    gatorguy said:
    Okay, you're defending Google. It's your right. But I also have the right to not  trust Google. 
    Just two examples: 
    Example 1:
    Some time ago, my wife received a letter by post from Google, in which they’ve suggested her, that they are willing to place ads on Internet for hers company. How does Google know about hers company ? Oh, yeah, my wife has G-mail. So, Google never reads e-mails?

Example 2: 
    Three students in the centrum of a city in Belgium, about a meter away from each other, did the same search in Google. And what do you think about the results? Google search results were different for each student.
    Still confident in Google?
    Look less at what Google writes about itself, but look at what they're doing. Then you will be less enthusiastic about your Google
    No one advised you should trust them.  A lot of people don't so you're not alone. In fairness tho some of that distrust is based on just the kind of FUD you were initially posting as fact, that Google sells user data. They don't, and I've no idea why otherwise well-informed people totally believe they do until they are prompted to look into it. That doesn't mean there are no valid concerns about data gathering period, no matter what company is doing it.  I've opted out of certain "features" that I don't see personally beneficial to my use of their services. On the other hand Google offers me very valuable services that I'm willing to barter, search being number one. 

BTW, about those different search results for different people, well why not? Depending on the search terms I would not expect my results to match yours. I believe that's the reason I can very often find answers in just minutes to questions that some members here struggle to find at all (that assumes they're really trying to find an answer). 

FunFact: Looking at my account Google still thinks I'm at least 15 years younger than I am, and my own personal interests are not what Google thinks they are. When three people all use a computer which may be into a single account (mine) I'm sure it's next to impossible to know who is who, I've become a mish-mash of three, and if my daughter visits it may be four. Even my "personal phone" get used by my wife several times a week even tho w=she has her own.

Proof enough for me that Google really doesn't know who I am despite thousands of hours signed into my Google account, and you know what? I doubt Google really cares too much, what they know is that someone who regularly uses my computers is interested in many of the topics and interests represented by the merged me. My name or specific age isn't important for the ads. It's the Advertising ID number silly, lumped in a big basket with a whole lotta others who are similar in various ways. They aren't targeting Gatorguy the person, they're putting ads in front of the mishmash Advertising ID number.  Someone using a signed in to me device appeared they might be interested, they don't care who it is personally.  
    edited July 2020
  • Reply 62 of 63
    qwerty52qwerty52 Posts: 367member
    gatorguy said:
    qwerty52 said:
    gatorguy said:
    qwerty52 said:
    gatorguy said:
    Okay, you're defending Google. It's your right. But I also have the right to not  trust Google. 
    Just two examples: 
    Example 1:
    Some time ago, my wife received a letter by post from Google, in which they’ve suggested her, that they are willing to place ads on Internet for hers company. How does Google know about hers company ? Oh, yeah, my wife has G-mail. So, Google never reads e-mails?

Example 2: 
    Three students in the centrum of a city in Belgium, about a meter away from each other, did the same search in Google. And what do you think about the results? Google search results were different for each student.
    Look less at what Google writes about itself, but look at what they're doing. Then you will be less enthusiastic about your Google
    No one advised you should trust them.  A lot of people don't so you're not alone. In fairness tho some of that distrust is based on just the kind of FUD you were initially posting as fact, that Google sells user data. They don't, and I've no idea why otherwise well-informed people totally believe they do until they are prompted to look into it. That doesn't mean there are no valid concerns about data gathering period, no matter what company is doing it.  I've opted out of certain "features" that I don't see personally beneficial to my use of their services. On the other hand Google offers me very valuable services that I'm willing to barter, search being number one. 

FunFact: Looking at my account Google still thinks I'm at least 15 years younger than I am, and my own personal interests are not what Google thinks they are. When three people all use a computer which may be into a single account (mine) I'm sure it's next to impossible to know who is who, I've become a mish-mash of three, and if my daughter visits it may be four. Proof enough for me that Google really doesn't know who I am despite thousands of hours signed into my Google account, and you know what? I doubt Google really cares too much, what they know is that someone who regularly uses my computers is interested in many of the topics and interests represented by the merged me. My name or specific age isn't important for the ads. It's the Advertising ID number silly. 
    OK! We’ve  agreed: Nobody is perfect :-) 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 63 of 63
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    qwerty52 said:
    gatorguy said:
    qwerty52 said:
    gatorguy said:
    qwerty52 said:
    gatorguy said:
    Just two examples: 
    Example 1:

Example 2: 

FunFact: Looking at my account Google still thinks I'm at least 15 years younger than I am, and my own personal interests are not what Google thinks they are. When three people all use a computer which may be into a single account (mine) I'm sure it's next to impossible to know who is who, I've become a mish-mash of three, and if my daughter visits it may be four. Proof enough for me that Google really doesn't know who I am despite thousands of hours signed into my Google account, and you know what? I doubt Google really cares too much, what they know is that someone who regularly uses my computers is interested in many of the topics and interests represented by the merged me. My name or specific age isn't important for the ads. It's the Advertising ID number silly. 
    OK! We’ve  agreed: Nobody is perfect :-) 
    You're right.