European advertisers critical of iOS 14 warning users about ad tracking

Comments

• Reply 21 of 63
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,564member
    davgreg said:
    Maybe I missed it, but nowhere did I ever tell any of the clowns that I was up for digital stalking for their profit.

I bought my device, pay for my internet access and content by subscription.  They can stick their whining where the sun does not shine.
    If you didn't buy the app, THEY're paying for your content. Which is the point here.
    viclauyycwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 63
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    I use an ad blocker simply because ads are so pushy and obnoxious. 
    They are afraid users will be more inclined to say no to tracking?
    You’re damned right I will. 
    Any time and every time. 
    They have only themselves to blame.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 63
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,108member
    spheric said:
    davgreg said:
    Maybe I missed it, but nowhere did I ever tell any of the clowns that I was up for digital stalking for their profit.

I bought my device, pay for my internet access and content by subscription.  They can stick their whining where the sun does not shine.
    If you didn't buy the app, THEY're paying for your content. Which is the point here.
    That's why I always opt for the ad-free version.
    qwerty52watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 63
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    These leeches are complaining that Apple won't allow them to become a parasite?

I smell a lawsuit coming too because Apple.
    viclauyycDAalsethwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 63
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Didn’t marketing companies used to be experts on image & presentation? What an ugly display of user-contempt from these greedy hacks who’ve lost their art.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 63
    viclauyycviclauyyc Posts: 849member
    So will apple do the same to all google apps?
  • Reply 27 of 63
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,305member
    I completely understand the need for advertising in order to keep sites (like this one) operating. Google's original (and brilliant) idea was to gather some data so that advertising could be personalized, making it more effective. No problem there either.

The moment Google, FB, and other such data-gatherers decided that digital stalking (aka "tracking" like we're all deer or something) was a good idea, and the moment they decided that selling that collected data to others outside the data-gathering company was a good idea -- they themselves created a radical backlash that now sees most users using tools or browsers designed to block all or most advertising completely, resulting in the death of sites or layoffs at even very popular websites. They have nothing but their own overreaching greed to blame for this.

A common-sense set of guidelines that get back to something like Google's original idea, bars tracking outright and forbids selling collected data without compensation AND explicit permission would allow websites to thrive without having to charge subscriptions -- an alternative idea that works well in some cases but can't really be used for everything. The GDPR was a good start, but it needs refinement and consistency as near to worldwide as we can get it.
    DAalsethqwerty52watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 63
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    chasm said:
    I completely understand the need for advertising in order to keep sites (like this one) operating. Google's original (and brilliant) idea was to gather some data so that advertising could be personalized, making it more effective. No problem there either.

The moment Google, FB, and other such data-gatherers decided that digital stalking (aka "tracking" like we're all deer or something) was a good idea, and the moment they decided that selling that collected data to others outside the data-gathering company was a good idea -- they themselves created a radical backlash that now sees most users using tools or browsers designed to block all or most advertising completely, resulting in the death of sites or layoffs at even very popular websites. They have nothing but their own overreaching greed to blame for this.

A common-sense set of guidelines that get back to something like Google's original idea, bars tracking outright and forbids selling collected data without compensation AND explicit permission would allow websites to thrive without having to charge subscriptions -- an alternative idea that works well in some cases but can't really be used for everything. The GDPR was a good start, but it needs refinement and consistency as near to worldwide as we can get it.
    Google doesn't sell collected user data. There are companies that do, ranging from Acxiom a data aggregator who sells a broad range of information about you, to certain weather apps on your phone, to some state licensing agencies, to the credit bureaus who sell far more than your credit score. Google just isn't one of those. 
  • Reply 29 of 63
    qwerty52qwerty52 Posts: 367member
    According to Reuters, the group claims Apple's plans mean users will effectively have to be asked for permission twice.
    Dear advertisers, what is wrong with this? I can’t see any problem 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 63
    svanstromsvanstrom Posts: 702member
    Meanwhile the pickpockets union is saying that the police are unreasonably putting up warnings about pickpockets active in the area, arguing that the consumer already is aware about pickpockets, and that the pickpockets are already obeying other laws by not killing those that they steal from; and that as such the police activity constitute an anticompetitive behaviour, which is damaging the industry, which has a long and proud history.

Furthermore the pickpockets provide a much important stimulus of such industries as those providing short-term loans, eviction services, as well as pawnshops and online markets of previously own goods; and a direct attack on this well established trade will not only hurt the GNP, but will also cause unemployment as well as raise the welfare costs of the society.

The recent attacks on thieving is clearly a leftist propaganda campaign trying to undermine the power of the free market, not to mention preventing the freedom of people to be cluelessly robbed, used, and exploited for monetary gain by a third party market.
    elijahgjdb8167qwerty52rundhvidwatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 63
    svanstromsvanstrom Posts: 702member
    crowley said:
    I opened the thread expecting to tell advertisers to go boil their collective heads, but actually there's a reasonable point in there; if European advertisers already need to ask permission to comply with GDPR then it doesn't make much sense for Apple to ask for permission for using the phone's hardware to deliver what the user has already agreed to.  Not sure how you'd be able to combine the two in a user friendly way though.
    Basically these bad guys are trying to get away with asking about storing what the consumer thinks is a little bit of data, and then in secret launch the online equivalence of an army of spies stalking and collecting data 24/7.

They aren't upset about two popups (easily put into one popup), they are upset about the consumers becoming aware about the shit they are getting away with today.
    qwerty52williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 63
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    Advertising. Why do we have advertising? 

There is nothing more maddening and a waste of my time than being bombarded with ads, which prevent me from reading the actual material.

Then, because the ads often pop up and are replaced by other ads, browsers are constantly adjusting the webpage for different sized ads, making reading virtually impossible. When it happens, I simply stop viewing the webpage — waste of my time. 

qwerty52williamlondonwatto_cobraargonaut
  • Reply 33 of 63
    zeroIDzeroID Posts: 13member
    I hope to see one day the collapse of all those tracking companies. I have also one wish. Please let the Facebook to be the first in row!
    williamlondonbaconstangwatto_cobraargonaut
  • Reply 34 of 63
    gatorguy said:

Google doesn't sell collected user data. There are companies that do, ranging from Acxiom a data aggregator who sells a broad range of information about you, to certain weather apps on your phone, to some state licensing agencies, to the credit bureaus who sell far more than your credit score. Google just isn't one of those. 
    Good try, but I don’t  believe you 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 63
    qwerty52 said:
    gatorguy said:

gatorguy as the two g's in his nick suggest works for two g's company.
    Google doesn't sell data... HA!
    qwerty52williamlondonwatto_cobraargonaut
  • Reply 36 of 63
    qwerty52 said:
    gatorguy said:

zeroID said:
    qwerty52 said:
    gatorguy said:

gatorguy as the two g's in his nick suggest works for two g's company.
    Google doesn't sell data... HA!
    LOL. Will I have to wait long for you to prove I'm wrong?
    edited July 2020
  • Reply 37 of 63
    Take it easy, just joking! But Google sell customer data and it's not alone. Those brave EU advertisers export collected data, of course GDPR conform, to third countries, usually US, India, etc, where this data is cross-referenced and sold by daughter companies to whoever.
    edited July 2020 qwerty52williamlondonwatto_cobraargonaut
  • Reply 38 of 63
    zeroID said:
    Take it easy, just joking! But Google sell customer data and it's not alone. Those brave EU advertisers export collected data, of course GDPR conform, to third countries, usually US, India, etc, where this data is cross-referenced and sold by daughter companies to whoever.
    No Google doesn't sell your data. Period. Their privacy policy is not all that unlike Apple's. Neither one allows for it.
    edited July 2020
  • Reply 39 of 63
    gatorguy said:
    No Google doesn't sell your data. Period.
    Hmmm, no offense but there are only two possibilities. You are living on a different planet or you are really a  Google employee.

Try to read this: https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2020/03/google-says-it-doesnt-sell-your-data-heres-how-company-shares-monetizes-and

qwerty52williamlondonRayz2016watto_cobraargonaut
  • Reply 40 of 63
    gatorguy said:
    zeroID said:
    No Google doesn't sell your data. Period. Their privacy policy is not all that unlike Apple's. Neither one allows for it.
    How do you think Google will survive without selling your data? 
    williamlondonwatto_cobraargonaut