'Batterygate' users can now file to get up to $25 settlement from Apple

Posted:
in General Discussion edited July 2020
Users affected by Apple's throttling of older iPhones can now submit a claim to potentially receive around $25 per phone, following a court's decision to accept Apple's settlement.

Battery

Apple's proposed $500 million deal to settle the series of class-action lawsuits over its slowing down of older iPhones, has been approved by the US District Court. Following a preliminary approval in May 2020, the court is now requesting that eligible affected users file to receive their portion of the settlement.

"If you are or were a U.S. owner of an iPhone 6, 6 Plus, 6s, 6s Plus, and/or SE device that ran iOS 10.2.1 or later before December 21, 2017, and/or a U.S. owner of an iPhone 7 or 7 Plus device that ran iOS 11.2 or later before December 21, 2017," says a website created for the purpose, "you could be entitled to benefits under a class action settlement."

The amount an eligible user will receive depends upon the total number of people claiming. "The cash payment per eligible device depends on the actual number of approved claims and other factors, including the award of attorneys' fees and expenses and Named Plaintiff service awards," says the full notice.

"Under the proposed settlement, Apple shall pay a minimum of $310,000,000 (the "Floor") and a maximum of $500,000,000 (the "Ceiling")," it continues. "Under no circumstances shall any of the Floor revert to Apple."

The so-called 'Batterygate' incident began with the slowing down or throttling of older iPhones and an apology from Apple. The company specifically apologized for not having informed users of the slowdown. It continues to maintain that the purpose was to protect and prolong the batteries of these older phones.

That apology was followed by lawsuits around the world and although this settlement may mean the end of the case in the US, Apple is continuing to face legal issues overseas.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    Still the most ridiculous “issue” I’ve ever seen with Apple. Dumber than antennagate, dumber than bendgate, dumber than hissgate. Completely silly. Glad some lawyers found something to thicken their wallets with.
    MetriacanthosaurusSpamSandwichjony0maltz
  • Reply 2 of 28
    I would be ashamed to file for or be involved in any way with such a ridiculous claim.
    edited July 2020 Metriacanthosauruspulseimagesspock1234jony0maltz
  • Reply 3 of 28
    Still the most ridiculous “issue” I’ve ever seen with Apple. Dumber than antennagate, dumber than bendgate, dumber than hissgate. Completely silly. Glad some lawyers found something to thicken their wallets with.
    I would be ashamed to file for or be involved in any way with such a ridiculous claim.
    Same. I feel really bad for people at Apple and Apple in general for having to endure this embarrassment. Unfortunately this is entirely Tim Cook's fault. Had he done what the previous CEO would have done, and said, "How Apple engineering manages the CPU performance and behavior in Apple Silicon is none of anyone's business except for Apple engineering.".. that would have been the end of it. The whining of others would have been replaced by the next big whine within weeks and forgotten about. Instead, he admitted fault where none occurred, leading to substantial loses and tons of bad PR. Worst, it validated the whining of complete idiots who think they know better than Apple engineers.
    edited July 2020 maltz
  • Reply 4 of 28
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    As an prior owner of an iP6 for 3 years, I am embarrassed to fill this out.  It was all about the lawyers.
  • Reply 5 of 28
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    If I'd unnecessarily and reluctantly bought a new iPhone when my phone performance had hit the floor because of a fixable battery issue that Apple hadn't told me about, I'd probably be duly pissed off.  I didn't, but I can understand why some might feel compensation was in order.
    elijahgdysamoria
  • Reply 6 of 28
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Of the class actions I've been part of the hardest part is making a claim, which is why most of the time it's not worth it. You usually have to document your reason for making the claim and many people don't keep records like receipts, invoices, bank records, etc. Just claiming you were damaged is not enough. You have to prove it.
  • Reply 7 of 28
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    No, no I won’t. I’m eligible with both of the phones we had at the time, but no. It was a non issue hyped up by media looking for the latest -gate b***s*** and jumped upon by lawyers with the ethics of a wood tick. To take part in this legalized scam would be to be a co conspirator. 

Just no.
    jony0spock1234
  • Reply 8 of 28
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    lkrupp said:
    Of the class actions I've been part of the hardest part is making a claim, which is why most of the time it's not worth it. You usually have to document your reason for making the claim and many people don't keep records like receipts, invoices, bank records, etc. Just claiming you were damaged is not enough. You have to prove it.
    I can happily say I’ve never willingly been a party to one of these ambulance chasing scams. I figured out years ago the settlements in class-actions were primarily crafted to enrich the legal firms.
    DAalsethjony0
  • Reply 9 of 28
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    lkrupp said:
    I can happily say I’ve never willingly been a party to one of these ambulance chasing scams. I figured out years ago the settlements in class-actions were primarily crafted to enrich the legal firms.
    Same Here
    There’s an old story about two men walking along the beach. They spotted an oyster and started arguing about who saw it first, whose it was. A lawyer came along and agreed to settle the dispute. After listening to each mans story he proceeded to eat the oyster and hand each man half of the shell. 

That about sums up my opinion of lawyers and this kind of suit.
    jony0SpamSandwichspock1234
  • Reply 10 of 28
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    To me this is like suing the fire department for putting out a fire in your garage before it spreads to your house. I know you may be sick of your old countertops and the shag carpeting, but choosing to let your whole house burn down instead of limiting the damage to your garage is rather insane. 
    Metriacanthosaurusspock1234
  • Reply 11 of 28
    maltzmaltz Posts: 454member
    crowley said:
    If I'd unnecessarily and reluctantly bought a new iPhone when my phone performance had hit the floor because of a fixable battery issue that Apple hadn't told me about, I'd probably be duly pissed off.  I didn't, but I can understand why some might feel compensation was in order.

The alternative is a phone that reboots all the time because the battery is worn out and voltage sags during peak loads.  Pick your poison...
    SpamSandwichspock1234
  • Reply 12 of 28
    iSRSiSRS Posts: 49member
    You need your serial numbers, too, no?
  • Reply 13 of 28
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    And all because Apple dared to address the peak power load issue with throttling. Let’s hope the lawyers don’t get wind of what happens when the device gets hot under load 🤫
    DAalsethmaltzspock1234
  • Reply 14 of 28
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    If none of the money goes back to Apple, where does it go when all of you committed Apple buddies refuse to list yourselves as part of the class of customers?
  • Reply 15 of 28
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    PS: Read the settlement class member rights. If you are all this agitated about it, submit an objection. There’s a deadline for that. 
  • Reply 16 of 28
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    maltz said:
    crowley said:

The alternative is a phone that reboots all the time because the battery is worn out and voltage sags during peak loads.  Pick your poison...
    The issue isn't with this alternative or that alternative, it's with Apple deliberately suppressing performance for a reason that is addressable and not telling the user what they were doing or why, when the user could have addressed it.
    atomic101
  • Reply 17 of 28
    maltzmaltz Posts: 454member
    crowley said:
    maltz said:
    crowley said:

The issue isn't with this alternative or that alternative, it's with Apple deliberately suppressing performance for a reason that is addressable and not telling the user what they were doing or why, when the user could have addressed it.

Did you know desktop machines do the same thing?  If the GPU hits TDP, it throttles.  If the CPU gets too hot, it throttles.  Heck, even SSD storage does it.  All chips of any complexity throttle all the time for all kinds of reasons.  This isn't Apple being obscure, it's how EVERYTHING works these days.
    SpamSandwichDAalsethspock1234
  • Reply 18 of 28
    Apple knows who was the registered users of the iPhones covered by the settlement. It should just send them an Apple Pay credit and save all the expensive legal paperwork. Just send them one e-mail asking if they wish to receive the payment.
  • Reply 19 of 28
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    DAalseth said:
    lkrupp said:
    Same Here
    There’s an old story about two men walking along the beach. They spotted an oyster and started arguing about who saw it first, whose it was. A lawyer came along and agreed to settle the dispute. After listening to each mans story he proceeded to eat the oyster and hand each man half of the shell. 

Hah! I'm as so going to steal that!
    spock1234
  • Reply 20 of 28
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Apple knows who was the registered users of the iPhones covered by the settlement. It should just send them an Apple Pay credit and save all the expensive legal paperwork. Just send them one e-mail asking if they wish to receive the payment.
    Interesting idea, but then the usual loudmouths would accuse them of trying to force people to use ApplePay, lawyers, class action, yadda yadda yadda …
    spock1234