Arlo Pro 3 Floodlight Cam gains support for Apple HomeKit

Posted:
in General Discussion
Continuing its promise of adding HomeKit to its product line, Arlo has just rolled out extensive HomeKit support for the relatively new Arlo Pro 3 Floodlight cam.

Arlo Pro 3 Floodight Cam
Arlo Pro 3 Floodight Cam now supports HomeKit

The Arlo Pro 3 Floodlight Cam was released earlier in 2020 and initially was only supported in the Arlo app. With Friday's HomeKit integration, the camera shows up in the Home app, and so do the motion sensor, two-way communication, and the light. The light is adjustable too, allowing users to change the brightness of the LED panel.

Users are able to use the motion sensor from the Pro 3 Floodlight Cam to trigger various scenes and other accessories as well. For example, the Pro 3 Floodlight Cam could detect motion which could then be used to toggle on a user's outdoor lights that are controlled via a HomeKit in-wall switch or outdoor outlet.

Arlo Pro 3 Floodlight Cam in Home app
Arlo Pro 3 Floodlight Cam in Home app

Another use case is turning on the LED floodlight when a door is opened or another camera detects motion. HomeKti can tell the floodlight to turn on at different brightnesses based on the time as well.

Arlo has previously rolled out HomeKit support to the Arlo Pro 3 line, the Arlo Ultra 4K, the Arlo Ultra 4K 2, as well as others. Users are still waiting for HomeKit support to come to Arlo's smart video doorbell, however.

While HomeKti support is welcomed -- especially with support for the floodlight -- HomeKit Secure Video is not supported on any Arlo camera. This is likely due to the wealth of features that are supported in the Arlo app and with an Arlo Smart subscription and due to the higher resolution most of Arlo's cameras are capable of shooting in that aren't supported with HomeKit.

The Arlo Pro 3 is available now on Amazon for $249.
patchythepirate

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,279member
    Wish they would add HK support to the Arlo Q as well.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 7
    KuyangkohKuyangkoh Posts: 838member
    My Arlo Pro was never ever fixed the connection to HomeKit, it always says accessory not supported...i was told different things to try but i was so frustrated of their support that I finally give up. Only using their apps which works just fine as stand alone...Arlo support are horrendously bad 
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 7
    caladaniancaladanian Posts: 380member
    Why would HomeKit not support higher resolutions?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 7
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,279member
    Kuyangkoh said:
    My Arlo Pro was never ever fixed the connection to HomeKit, it always says accessory not supported...i was told different things to try but i was so frustrated of their support that I finally give up. Only using their apps which works just fine as stand alone...Arlo support are horrendously bad 

I purchased an Arlo Pro 2 that is supposed to support HomeKit. Only later did I learn that the smart hub that was included with my particular kit doesn't support HK. I should have returned it, but I had already installed the camera outsidec and didn't feel like doing it again. I'm keeping an eye out for a used or discounted, HK-compatible Smart Hub.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 7
    KuyangkohKuyangkoh Posts: 838member
    mike1 said:
    Kuyangkoh said:

I purchased an Arlo Pro 2 that is supposed to support HomeKit. Only later did I learn that the smart hub that was included with my particular kit doesn't support HK. I should have returned it, but I had already installed the camera outsidec and didn't feel like doing it again. I'm keeping an eye out for a used or discounted, HK-compatible Smart Hub.
    My hub as per their specs meets the HK requirements with a new firmware updates...good luck
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 7
    lanvallanval Posts: 1member
    The specs on the website don't include a temperature range for outdoor use. That doesn't fill me with hope. I can't find an outdoor camera or doorbell that will work where I live (-35 Celsius in January). Hopefully one day...
  • Reply 7 of 7
    little did I know when I purchased the floodlight you also need a smart hub or base station... but those don't seem to be available anywhere either. So essentially there is no homekit support for the product itself, you need these extras to make it compatible. Kind of frustrating