Apple Watch continues to help save lives in a variety of ways

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    So what happens when you have an extended stay in a country that doesn’t approve the alerts? I’ve heard stories that it used to continue to work as long as you didn’t change your region but I’m also hearing that recent updates have disabled alerts based upon your location? Anybody in Australia actually have a US watch and will its EKG work in the current iOS?
    I can’t answer your question as you’d like since I’ve never been to Australia (though I hope to one day!), but I can say that I bought my watch in a country that has approved the EKG feature and since then I’ve used it in both Latvia and Egypt where it has not been approved. This, despite being told by an Apple rep that the watch is geofenced (knows your location) so it won’t work where it hasn’t been approved. 
    All I can suggest is that you look for a tourist in Australia wearing an Apple Watch and ask!
    KillBillOGlolliver
  • Reply 22 of 39
    Thanks, I used Australia as an example so your examples are informative.  Any idea if you are running the current versions of the Watch OS and iOS as that's where I'd heard that the geofencing had actually started blocking use? If only I could go to Australia and test it I would but I'm not sure the Aussies would let me in given USA's incredible lack of control when it comes to 
  • Reply 23 of 39
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    spice-boy said:

spice-boy said:
    A very close friend of mine who is 52 hard a heart attack while out running recently, he was wearing his Apple Watch 5. He told me the day after that is Apple Watch never signaled anything was wrong before or during the attack. My point don't put too much weight behind what Apple claims about this device. 

Apple is very clear and states repeatidly that the watch will NOT warn of heart attack.    It can't.  
    Faulting Apple Watch for not detecting a heart attack is like faulting a Porsche for not being able to haul a yard of topsoil.
    I've never seen that statement from Apple could you point it out to me? My friend was running not driving a car or digging a ditch. He fortunately lives in Sweden so the hospital stay and test and treatment was all covered by that countries universal care. Just hope you don't experience a hear attack. 

Sorry, not my job to educate you.
    But for a start you might -- as has already been pointed out to you -- look at the first picture. 
    bonobob
  • Reply 24 of 39
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    spice-boy said:

spice-boy said:
    A very close friend of mine who is 52 hard a heart attack while out running recently, he was wearing his Apple Watch 5. He told me the day after that is Apple Watch never signaled anything was wrong before or during the attack. My point don't put too much weight behind what Apple claims about this device. 
    What should the watch have done? 
    Warned your friend that his heart rate was elevated while he was RUNNING?
    When was the last time your friend had his heart checked out by a Cardiologist? 
    What do you think Apple claims the watch will do? Replace your doctor? 

Look up Jim Fixx, he was a famous runner/jogger and had a heart attack and died while jogging at 52. 

These gadgets are for you to use to get a better idea about what is going on with you, they are not a replacement for seeing your doctor to get a periodic checkup.  

Plus, this might shock you, but you can go see doctors, get a clean bill of health and still drop dead just like you can if the watch doesn’t see any issues with your heart rate or ecg. 

The only thing you forgot to say was " sorry about your friend hope he is ok" in your defense of Apple. This device monitors our heart, irregular hear beats have been reported on this very site, and you all basked in the glory of Apple saving lives. Seriously you put Apple ahead of everything including my friend's life.

Neither will the Apple Watch warn you if step in front of a train.    It's worthless!     /s
    jony0
  • Reply 25 of 39
    spice-boy said:

spice-boy said:

Look up Jim Fixx, he was a famous runner/jogger and had a heart attack and died while jogging at 52. 

These gadgets are for you to use to get a better idea about what is going on with you, they are not a replacement for seeing your doctor to get a periodic checkup.  

Plus, this might shock you, but you can go see doctors, get a clean bill of health and still drop dead just like you can if the watch doesn’t see any issues with your heart rate or ecg. 

The only thing you forgot to say was " sorry about your friend hope he is ok" in your defense of Apple. This device monitors our heart, irregular hear beats have been reported on this very site, and you all basked in the glory of Apple saving lives. Seriously you put Apple ahead of everything including my friend's life.
    So, when all is said and done, your only argument is that the responders were not very sensitive to your friend’s heart attack that you were simply using as an excuse to bash a product that explicitly warns does not warn of heart attacks?  
    If anyone is under the misapprehension that any health monitor is always going to warn you ahead of time of an impending event, then please visit a hospital as they get code blues for people hooked up to the best possible monitors. Monitors monitor, they do not predict the future. Some can warn you of possible irregularities, that is good. But, as noted in the article, you still need a doctor to diagnose. 
    BTW, my recent purchase of an apple watch had minimally to do with health. I consider those features a nice add on. For others, it may well be primary, but it is hardly the only reason to have one.
      I, for one, have presumed your friend is doing OK since you refer to him in the present tense. This is a tech blog and you made an argument about technology. Now falling back on an ad hominem attack related to your friend’s continued health clearly signals retreat. I think it can be safely presumed that the responders here harbor no ill will for your friend and certainly would wish him well. I presume you are happy for all the people this watch HAS helped. You discount the value it provides, but I am certain you are happy for the help they received because of having it. 
    edited July 2020 GeorgeBMacRayz2016lolliverjony0
  • Reply 26 of 39
    spice-boy said:

spice-boy said:

I own Apple stock, but I have no stock in your friend. That typed, I wish you and friend well. I had two besties get dead from heart attacks in their early 40s; it definitely sucks.
  • Reply 27 of 39
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    Thanks, I used Australia as an example so your examples are informative.  Any idea if you are running the current versions of the Watch OS and iOS as that's where I'd heard that the geofencing had actually started blocking use? If only I could go to Australia and test it I would but I'm not sure the Aussies would let me in given USA's incredible lack of control when it comes to 
    I see. Well, I’d still like to visit Australia! 

That may be true about the geofencing being a recent thing. The time in Latvia was in May 2019 and Egypt was February of this year. I was running the most current Watch OS at the time, but that was a while ago. The comment about geofencing from the Apple rep was back in April of 2019. 
  • Reply 28 of 39
    adybadyb Posts: 205member
    spice-boy said:

spice-boy said:

Apple is very clear and states repeatidly that the watch will NOT warn of heart attack.    It can't.  
    Faulting Apple Watch for not detecting a heart attack is like faulting a Porsche for not being able to haul a yard of topsoil.
    I've never seen that statement from Apple could you point it out to me? My friend was running not driving a car or digging a ditch. He fortunately lives in Sweden so the hospital stay and test and treatment was all covered by that countries universal care. Just hope you don't experience a hear attack. 
    I think the reason could be that he lives in Sweden - I've not heard of that being one of the countries where the EKG function is enabled.
    edited July 2020 Rayz2016
  • Reply 29 of 39
    Fidonet127Fidonet127 Posts: 508member
    spice-boy said:
    Apple doesn’t detect Heart Attacks. In fact Apple states in many places it doesn’t detect heart attacks. Every time I use the ECG function, it states it doesn’t detect heart attacks. 
    GeorgeBMacking editor the gratelolliver
  • Reply 30 of 39
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    spice-boy said:
    Please specify where Apple EVER claimed their watch as being able to detect or predict a heart attack. Apple claimed no such thing. The ONLY thing Apple claims is that the watch can detect aFib. I live with a condition called PVC (premature ventricular contraction). PVCs are normally not serious and when I run the ECG app I usually get an “inconclusive” result instead of “sinus rhythm”. Since that is not what the watch was designed to detect I get no notification. See how that works? So does your friend plan to file a lawsuit against Apple for false advertising? Just asking.
    edited July 2020 GeorgeBMacking editor the gratejony0
  • Reply 31 of 39
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    spice-boy said:
    The watch is limited on what it can detect. Apple doesn't claim it can diagnose everything about your heart. The manuals state:

• Apple Watch cannot detect heart attacks. If you ever experience chest pain, pressure, tightness, or what you think is a heart attack, call emergency services immediately.  
    • The irregular rhythm notification feature on Apple Watch is not constantly looking for AFib. This means it cannot detect all instances of AFib, and people with AFib may not get a notification.

"Apple does not guarantee that you are not experiencing an arrhythmia or other health conditions even in the absence of an irregular rhythm notification."

However it does an amazing job at some of these tasks. There are no other watches with these features. Most of these require dedicated health equipment and merely the rental of ones that are rated to detect AFib and these abnormalities cost more than the Apple Watch.
    Fidonet127king editor the gratelolliver
  • Reply 32 of 39
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    "Two major publications have interviewed my friend about his experience and will run stories about Apple's failure to make the Apple Watch the health device they say it is." 

Seriously I imagine that is how many of you have read my comment, jumping to Apple's defense as if your life depended on it. I suppose many of you have your retirement hitched to Apple's stock price and I have to say that was a good move on your behalf if you got in early enough. Unfortunately for many of the usuals here, critical thinking has left the building and you don't see how important critique is to improving something. A few of you have shown some sincere concern for my friend and I thank those that did. 
  • Reply 33 of 39
    adyb said:
    spice-boy said:

spice-boy said:

I think the reason could be that he lives in Sweden - I've not heard of that being one of the countries where the EKG function is enabled.
    Actually the EKG Function does work in Sweden, I can’t remember exactly when we got it, but probably around something like six months after it was introduced.
    adyb
  • Reply 34 of 39
    Fidonet127Fidonet127 Posts: 508member
    spice-boy said:
    "Two major publications have interviewed my friend about his experience and will run stories about Apple's failure to make the Apple Watch the health device they say it is." 

Seriously I imagine that is how many of you have read my comment, jumping to Apple's defense as if your life depended on it. I suppose many of you have your retirement hitched to Apple's stock price and I have to say that was a good move on your behalf if you got in early enough. Unfortunately for many of the usuals here, critical thinking has left the building and you don't see how important critique is to improving something. A few of you have shown some sincere concern for my friend and I thank those that did. 
    I think those publications will do critical thinking, and decline to publish anything. Oh sure stock price, everyone is rich here from owning Apple stock and will never complain about the limitations or cost of Apple gear. Reality is very few people own Apple stock and there is a lot of people who own Apple watches. Why did you ignore the first photo on this article? What sensor or combination of sensors will detect an heart attack? Many countries have restrictions on health claims compose can use, and there is great liability of getting it wrong. There is false positives and false negatives, not enough data vs professional equipment, memory, cpu speed, and battery life, but yeh let's complain about Apple gear not doing what Apple never claimed to it could do. Please link do some manual, or claim by Apple that the watch could do everything, detect heart attacks, cure cancer etc. Everyone has concern for your friend, just because they don't state it, does not mean they do not care. It is simply people tired of outlandish complaints. Again, Apple tells people the watch will not detect heart attacks.
    edited July 2020
  • Reply 35 of 39
    lolliverlolliver Posts: 495member

spice-boy said:

You used your friends heart attack to downplay other peoples lives being saved as if it was no big deal. Then try and complain that you got called out on it? No one who responded to your post wished your friend or you any ill will. It would be great if the Apple Watch was an even more capable preventative and diagnostic device. What it can do though is very impresive and it has resulted in many saved lives and will continue to do so. 

Something along the lines of "It's great that Apple Watch can detect some heart related issues. Just be mindful that it is not a replacement for professional medical care and diagnostics" would have been more appropriate. Of course, Apple is also very clear on this fact also. However, you chose to take the low road and try and use your friends life threatining event to bash Apple for something they have never claimed the Watch could do. 

Fidonet127jony0king editor the grate
  • Reply 36 of 39
    On June 17, 2020  I fell thru the ceiling in the attic above the garage.  I was home alone and  thank god I was wearing my Apple Watch and had the SOS feature activated which automatically contacted the 911 operations center.    The 911 operator asked me a few questions about the incident and within minutes the EMT crew was at the home.  I was transported to the Hospital and suffered a Lt Shoulder Dislocation and 3 broken ribs.    
    lolliverking editor the grate
  • Reply 37 of 39
    lolliverlolliver Posts: 495member
    On June 17, 2020  I fell thru the ceiling in the attic above the garage.  I was home alone and  thank god I was wearing my Apple Watch and had the SOS feature activated which automatically contacted the 911 operations center.    The 911 operator asked me a few questions about the incident and within minutes the EMT crew was at the home.  I was transported to the Hospital and suffered a Lt Shoulder Dislocation and 3 broken ribs.    
    Glad you were able to get help so soon. Hope you're recovering well. 
  • Reply 38 of 39
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    spice-boy said:
    Seriously you put Apple ahead of everything including my friend's life.
    Seriously, you exploit your friends heart attack to disparage the Watch for not doing something it wasn't designed to do. That was a stupid uninformed comment. And you whine that rebutting your comment is only blind brand loyalty and defending Apple at all costs and not actually a matter of refuting the logic of your comment, which has been done several times.

Spice-Boy said:
    I've never seen that statement from Apple could you point it out to me?

One picture is worth... And when you find a watch that will check for a heart attack, please provide a link. I'm sure it will be of interest to many here. FDA approved devices only, please.

king editor the gratelolliver
  • Reply 39 of 39
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,306member
    spice-boy said:
    A very close friend of mine who is 52 hard a heart attack while out running recently, he was wearing his Apple Watch 5. He told me the day after that is Apple Watch never signaled anything was wrong before or during the attack.
    You and your friend both fundamentally misunderstand what the Apple Watch is and does with regards to your heart, It is not a tiny paramedic living on your wrist; it is a heart rate and heart rhythm monitor. If his heart rate did not flucuate significantly or go into Afib, the heart monitor on the watch only checks the heart by default once per hour.

I'm sure your friend was too preoccupied by his symptoms to do a manual heart check, but whether he did or not is irrelevant. It has never been advertised, and as shown above, does not claim to check for or diagnose heart attacks. It is a helpful tool -- alongside specialist and general doctor visits -- to help detect problems that can lead to events like a heart attack or other heart-related problems.

I hope your friend is okay, but next time both of you need to read the literature and understand what the Apple Watch does and does not do a bit better. Your claim is quite specious, and strongly outweighed by the plethora of evidence that having an Apple Watch is better than not having one for people at risk of heart issues.
    king editor the grate