Imminent iMac launch rumors doubted by prominent leaker

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited July 2020
A prominent leaker has cast doubt on rumors that a 2020 iMac update will take place this week, instead suggesting that the product refresh is more likely to take place in August, though without any major redesigns.

iMac

Over the weekend, a tweet from a relatively unknown leaker started circulating, putting forward the claim that Apple was preparing to launch a new iMac "this week." The tweet from @Soybeys also went further, suggesting the launch itself could happen earlier in the period, on the Monday.

A second tweet from another leaker, @Jioriku, added to the iMac rumors by writing "The iMac redesign is not coming for this 10th-generation Intel refresh. They are saving it for their own silicon," referencing Apple Silicon.

Late on Sunday, prominent leak reporter Jon Prosser dismissed the claimed launch this week with a single word attached to a screenshot of a headline reporting on the supposed launch: "Nope." In a second tweet, Prosser goes on to suggest it will be later, advising "If you want the new iMac, keep an eye out for August."

If you want the new iMac, keep an eye out for August.

No redesign.

-- Jon Prosser (@jon_prosser)

While there is some dispute over timing, there does seem to be a general belief that some form of product launch is on the way. On July 19, fellow prominent leaker @L0vetodream suggested "some products are ready to ship," without saying exactly what, while a mid-June DigiTimes report claimed new iMac and iPad models were destined for release in the second half of 2020.

Despite being negative about the first of the two tweets, Prosser does seem to have backed up the second, ending one of his tweets with "No redesign." This seems to be fairly logical to deduce, as it would be expected for Apple to withhold any major design changes for a major update, such as the introduction of Apple Silicon.

Icons found in an alleged iOS 14 build in June offered the suggestion Apple was redesigning the iMac to include a design that is reminiscent of an iPad Pro, complete with thinner bezels.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,371member
    Whoa, battle of the leakers. I suggest a full steel cage match to determine who is the master leaker. They can wear masks if they want to protect their identities, and of course comply with Covid-19 mandates. They’d better have good quality pictures, supporting documents, and proof of their insider sources. Bring it on you silly savages. No social distancing for you. 
    edited July 2020 lkruppGrayeagleDAalsethrandominternetpersonwatto_cobraargonaut
  • Reply 2 of 28
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

While there is some dispute over timing, there does seem to be a general belief that some form of product launch is on the way. 

I want to become a “prominent” leaker. I guess I just paste a bunch of predictions on the wall and throw darts at them, right? The big problem, though, is how do I monetize my bullshit? Any ideas?
    Grayeaglerandominternetpersonwatto_cobramuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 3 of 28
    tapetape Posts: 47member
    The difference between "next week" (as of the time of that report) and "August" pretty much boils down to a weekend. That seems a little pedantic for something it seems like all of these guys basically agree is imminent.
    fred1thtRayz2016randominternetpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 28
    Whenever an update dated iMac will appear, I just hope the great minds in Cupertino haven't decided to reduce screen acreage.  Those of us with less than perfect eyesight need large screen monitors. I'm no fan of "Design over Usability."  IMO, the present 27" iMac configuration is what I need to be able to use it for both work and surfing.
    Disclaimer: I'm not a Gamer, so I can't appreciate their needs. . 
    dewmewatto_cobraargonaut
  • Reply 5 of 28
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member
    We ordered a new 27" 5K iMac last week. When I had checked price/delivery the previous week, it was showing as 3-4 weeks. I normally expect iMac delivery in a week or so (we have quite a few of these in our office). However by the time the order was placed, the lead time had extended to late September/early October.

This strongly suggests that an iMac refresh is going to happen fairly soon, to the point that I don't necessary expect to end up with the exact configuration we ordered. Either the newer model will be substituted, or we'll cancel the pending order and place a new one, or possibly we'll use the 30-day return privilege.

Either way I'm expecting an Intel refresh, not a brand new Apple Silicon model. The initial Apple Silicon benefits — lower power consumption, extended battery runtime, reduced cooling needs, smaller SoC — are going to be much more apparent in a laptop than a desktop, so I'm expecting the MacBook Air/Pro to come first.
    edited July 2020 watto_cobraargonaut
  • Reply 6 of 28
    thttht Posts: 5,450member
    The iMac update has been imminent since April I think. The hardware is done, the factory ready to start factoring. So, uh, they are waiting on i9-10910B processors from Intel to show up? New AMD GPU?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 28
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,296member
    Grayeagle said:
    Whenever an update dated iMac will appear, I just hope the great minds in Cupertino haven't decided to reduce screen acreage.  Those of us with less than perfect eyesight need large screen monitors. I'm no fan of "Design over Usability."  IMO, the present 27" iMac configuration is what I need to be able to use it for both work and surfing.
    Disclaimer: I'm not a Gamer, so I can't appreciate their needs. . 
    I'd be fine with a 24" and a 31" :-) 
  • Reply 8 of 28
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member
    blastdoor said:
    Count me in on that!

On the other hand, an enlarged 5K display would likely still be 5K, so would making it larger change much?
    edited July 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 28
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,573member
    Since Apple's Developer Transition Kit is in the shape of a Mac Mini, I'm surprised nobody thinks that the first Apple Silicon model could be the Mac Mini.
    DAalsethwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 28
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    Since Apple's Developer Transition Kit is in the shape of a Mac Mini, I'm surprised nobody thinks that the first Apple Silicon model could be the Mac Mini.
    That makes a lot of sense. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 28
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    lkrupp said:

While there is some dispute over timing, there does seem to be a general belief that some form of product launch is on the way. 

I want to become a “prominent” leaker. I guess I just paste a bunch of predictions on the wall and throw darts at them, right? The big problem, though, is how do I monetize my bullshit? Any ideas?
    Isn't that what youtube and instagram are all about? monetizing bullshit?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 28
    lkrupp said:

I want to become a “prominent” leaker.

Just wait... it's an age-related thing ... one day you will be. :)
    edited July 2020 GG1MacProdewmemacplusplusrazorpitwatto_cobramuthuk_vanalingamargonaut
  • Reply 13 of 28
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    lkrupp said:

I want to become a “prominent” leaker.

Just wait... it's an age-related thing ... one day you will be. :)
    🤣🤣🤣
    rotateleftbytewatto_cobraargonaut
  • Reply 14 of 28
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,095member
    I'm hoping for an iMac with a screen in the 30"+ range.  It's time.  27" was great, but it's beginning to feel small for me as I do tons of photography work and a larger screen would certainly be easier on the eyes.
    ramanpfaffmark fearingmacpluspluswatto_cobraargonaut
  • Reply 15 of 28
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    IMHO there is no way a new iMac design will occur with the Intel version. It will get internal updates only, most likely SSD as standard for no extra cost.  The new design will be kept solely for the Apple Si versions.
    mark fearingwatto_cobraargonaut
  • Reply 16 of 28
    iMac related but OT, I just tested out Turbo Boost Switcher, a free utility that turns off Intel's permanent Turbo Boost mode.  This is now installed on my 27"  iMac i9 5K and OMG what a difference.  

This util is aimed at preventing MBPs and MBAs burning your lap and battery life lasting longer, and it does that, but my iMac loves it too.  I see no performance change so far but it is cool and silent now. Link: https://www.rugarciap.com/turbo-boost-switcher-for-os-x/
    edited July 2020 GG1macpluspluswatto_cobramuthuk_vanalingamargonaut
  • Reply 17 of 28

neilm said:
    blastdoor said:
    Count me in on that!

On the other hand, an enlarged 5K display would likely still be 5K, so would making it larger change much?
    6K is the answer.  All my RAW images are 6K and I'd love a new iMac 32" 6K Apple Si.  My Amex   Card is ready.
    edited July 2020 watto_cobraargonaut
  • Reply 18 of 28
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,371member
    MacPro said:
    IMHO there is no way a new iMac design will occur with the Intel version. It will get internal updates only, most likely SSD as standard for no extra cost.  The new design will be kept solely for the Apple Si versions.

It would be nice, and long overdue, to finally say goodbye forever to HDD-only and Fusion Macs.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 28
    Well, Monday has come and gone and no new iMac was announced. I guess the original predictions were just the bullshit we expected them to be.
    SpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 28
    dewme said:
    MacPro said:

It would be nice, and long overdue, to finally say goodbye forever to HDD-only and Fusion Macs.
    My late 2013 iMac 14,2 has a 1TB Fusion drive that continues to perform at optimum level. DriveX reports the 128GB SSD portion has 68% life left. Seven years and still going strong. My iMac boots quickly so I don’t understand the hate.
    thtwatto_cobraargonaut