Apple Watch 'Series 6' could use smaller batteries than Series 5

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 23
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    JinTech said:
    Just what we need, an Apple Watch with an even shorter wear time. 
    saarek said:
    I was really hoping for a bigger battery coupled with more energy efficient components.

I’d love my Apple Watch to last longer, but that does not seem a priority to Apple for some reason.
    It’s a non-issue because the Watch is a daily charge cycle item, just like the iPhone it is still an accessory to. Whether you charge at bedtime or in the morning, you have to charge it. I don’t mind because it does so much more than a normal watch or a lesser-featured watch. 

We’d all love for it to have infinite power, but that will never, ever happen. We are at the limits of lithium ion battery tech. Don’t expect a miracle. 
  • Reply 22 of 23
    lkrupp said:
    JinTech said:
    Just what we need, an Apple Watch with an even shorter wear time. 
    What leads you (and the author of this piece) to think a smaller battery will reduce battery life? Is it possible that the Series 6 will feature more power efficient components or possibly newer battery technology that will keep the wearing time the same or even better? Why does the hater sect always assume the worst, always prefer the negative narrative?
    Maybe provide an example when a piece of tech got a smaller battery and BETTER (at least 30 min to an hour), battery life? I certainly can’t think of a single situation and I read articles about obscure tech. 
    iPhones have done this — a generation with a smaller battery but longer or at least the same battery life, due to improved power efficiency. Not every time, but it’s happened. I imagine today’s thin MBPs also have smaller batteries than the thick laptops of yesteryear, but last longer. 
    edited August 2020
  • Reply 23 of 23

Joer293 said:
    I am called an Apple fanboy by my friends and family, but if I had one gripe it’s the unethical misleading “industry leading battery life” marketing claims.  

I would pay more for greater energy density in the battery. We should not have to, but I would. Why does Apple set the target so low?  Why do all the customers set their expectations so low?  Everyone with smart watches today may have grown accustomed to “all day battery life”,  because it’s their first smart watch experience. Considering Apples investment in battery R&D, and efficient custom silicon and efficient software, vs all those no name brands that came years before apple makes me really confused. My $50 2008 gsm smart watch with j2me apps, lasted 4 days. That was considered terrible in 2008. Everyone laughed, after being slightly amazed I could make a phone call from my wrist.   The no name Chinese brand spent nothing on efficiency, generic batteries, bloated inefficient j2me software.  Today that battery life would be considered impossible engineering by Apple.  It just doesn’t make sense why Apple with all their resources aims so low and convinced  everyone that they can’t expect any better.  

I suppose I have the same complaint with my AirPods “amazing” battery life claim. AirPods battery life during a phone call is significantly shorter than all the Bluetooth earpieces I’ve ever owned. The batteries in the AirPods are just not efficient. My jawbone era with a “dead” battery still lasts over 5 hours, (7 hours when new). Apple also touts their industry leading phone battery life, which until about the iPhone 6s, could not beat the talk time of my 2006 Sanyo, which had a smaller battery. 
    Can you link to this $50 2008 smart watch? I have to imagine it cannot do the things an AW can do. I use mine as a remote for the TV, to control my smart house devices, to raise and ask questions, to raise and speak texts, to make payments, receive numerous notifications, track my workouts, track my sleep, etc etc.. 

Similar for AirPods — they’re syncing stereo in real time, which a mono ear piece isn’t. They work great for movies and tv and I can even push audio from my apple tv to them at nite. They also offer the siri functionality, rear me my texts and allow me to reply, etc. They do more with less...making them as or more efficient than your single-purpose ear piece. You’re confusing battery life with efficiency. My old 2000 Nokia cell phone got longer battery life than an iPhone, but it did far less. Same thing.