Smart TV adoption outpacing streaming devices like Apple TV, Roku

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    XedXed Posts: 2,812member
    Beats said:

Thought "Apple Silicon" branding was for Mac SOCs? This family of chips will be faster than the A-series found in Apple TV.

Unless you're being sarcastic, which is technically correct!
    Ummm ... no. Apple Silicon is ... Apple Silicon. It is inclusive of every chip that Apple designed. (Aren't there several "Intel-based Macs already run Apple Silicon" articles on this site referring to theT1 and T2 chips?) 

Apple Silicon is merely a BRAND and it is the brand name that is new. But the brand includes everything from the special purpose security and TouchBar/TouchID controller type chips in Macs to the S series chips in the Apple Watch to the A series chips in Apple TVs, iPads, iPhones and soon Macs. The branding is brilliant too because it tells people that every CPU in every Apple device is designed by Apple exclusively to be integrated with the hardware and operating systems in Apple products. 

Come on, this is your brand so you should know this stuff already. I can get you being wrong about Android, Linux and Windows - which you pretty much always are - but at least get your own brand right.
    This is a much better post. It's still a little long and repetitive, but still quite competent, especially that middle paragraph.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 45
    Beats said:
    Beats said:
    rob53 said:
    Every “smart” TV is android based so no thanks. My Sony has android built in and it’s a pain. Give me a monitor and let me decide what to connect to it. 

Not even. A lot are WebOS, Roku, and a few other OSes.

This is really another Apple vs Android kind of thing. Market share is smart TVs, quality is Apple TV. Smart TVs are cheaper, bad UI, updates are questionable, often spy on you or are poor security, thus allowing others to spy on you. We love our Apple TV’s. 

I want Apple to go all the way and release an A14 Apple TV or even an Apple Silicon based one. If Apple wants to stay relevant and deepen us into their ecosystem they need to start doing something with Apple TV.

Also maybe Apple can have contracts with certain TV manufacturers to run tvOS with A-chip hardware because everything else is garbage.
    AppleTV has been using Apple silicon for a long time. 

Thought "Apple Silicon" branding was for Mac SOCs? This family of chips will be faster than the A-series found in Apple TV.

The branding didn’t come out until this year, however Apple TV’s, and basically everything except Macs have had Apple designed CPUs/silicon for years. The Dev Apple Silicon Mac Mini is not a Mac SOC that you will see in the Macs. Really it is a beefed up iPad SOC. The Apple Silicon bit was part branding, part to get people to understand that Apple’s years of CPU development they used in everything else is going to be used in Macs. 
    superkloton
  • Reply 23 of 45
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    rob53 said:
    Beats said:
    Beats said:
    rob53 said:
    Every “smart” TV is android based so no thanks. My Sony has android built in and it’s a pain. Give me a monitor and let me decide what to connect to it. 

This is really another Apple vs Android kind of thing. Market share is smart TVs, quality is Apple TV. Smart TVs are cheaper, bad UI, updates are questionable, often spy on you or are poor security, thus allowing others to spy on you. We love our Apple TV’s. 

I want Apple to go all the way and release an A14 Apple TV or even an Apple Silicon based one. If Apple wants to stay relevant and deepen us into their ecosystem they need to start doing something with Apple TV.

Also maybe Apple can have contracts with certain TV manufacturers to run tvOS with A-chip hardware because everything else is garbage.

I don't remember Apple using the term "Apple Silicon" before this year's WWDC but their A-series SoC's have been Apple Silicon since the iPhone 4 (I believe this is right). Before that they used Intel chips. The developer kit is an A12Z from an iPad Pro. I can see Apple continuing to use the same SoC designs they've used in iOS devices in Macs. There will be differences in what they include in each device but at the heart of every Apple device will be a CPU or SoC using Apple Silicon.

YES. I've never heard the term "Apple Silicon" until last WWDC. And I've been watching since iPhone 4.

Literally(if you wanna be a smart ass) A-series is Apple silicon(lower case "S") but I think they're pushing Apple [S]ilicon as their branding for Macs. Maybe it sounds fancier? Or maybe they don't have a name for the Mac SoC chips yet. Maybe they'll be named A14M (M for Mac).

Either way my idea stands:
    I'm hoping for A14 minimum or even Apple Silicon. Why? If you have to ask you can't see far enough.

Beats said:

Ummm ... no. Apple Silicon is ... Apple Silicon. It is inclusive of every chip that Apple designed. (Aren't there several "Intel-based Macs already run Apple Silicon" articles on this site referring to theT1 and T2 chips?) 

Apple Silicon is merely a BRAND and it is the brand name that is new. But the brand includes everything from the special purpose security and TouchBar/TouchID controller type chips in Macs to the S series chips in the Apple Watch to the A series chips in Apple TVs, iPads, iPhones and soon Macs. The branding is brilliant too because it tells people that every CPU in every Apple device is designed by Apple exclusively to be integrated with the hardware and operating systems in Apple products. 

Come on, this is your brand so you should know this stuff already. I can get you being wrong about Android, Linux and Windows - which you pretty much always are - but at least get your own brand right.

I'm not wrong though. You've been wrong about Android and this is why you get destroyed so easily.
    lolliverwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 45
    Beats said:
    Beats said:
    rob53 said:

The branding didn’t come out until this year, however Apple TV’s, and basically everything except Macs have had Apple designed CPUs/silicon for years. The Dev Apple Silicon Mac Mini is not a Mac SOC that you will see in the Macs. Really it is a beefed up iPad SOC. The Apple Silicon bit was part branding, part to get people to understand that Apple’s years of CPU development they used in everything else is going to be used in Macs. 

Yes, I know this.

Will "Apple Silicon" be the brand name of future iPhone/iPad chips though? That's the grey area. Never heard the phrase until they mentioned it FOR Mac and when you search "Apple Silicon" only Mac videos and articles appear.
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 45
    Beats said:
    Beats said:
    Beats said:
    rob53 said:

Yes, I know this.

Will "Apple Silicon" be the brand name of future iPhone/iPad chips though? That's the grey area. Never heard the phrase until they mentioned it FOR Mac and when you search "Apple Silicon" only Mac videos and articles appear.
    Probably. Apple has a lot to be proud of with their chip designs and the branding is already powerful despite it being under 2 months old.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 45
    This article is weird. 

It seems to be comparing purchase with usage. Most TV now sold are “smart” - this doesn’t mean those features are ever used. 

It seems like an irrelevant comparison. 
    pscooter63lolliverllama
  • Reply 27 of 45
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 4,014member
    I would buy an AppleTV—an integrated one with a screen. But because Apple may balk at including other non-Apple streamers (Roku, etc.) in it, most people won’t buy it. 
  • Reply 28 of 45
    Apple should have put the brains of an iMac into a 65-inch screen with AppleTV built-in, thrown in a decent remote plus wireless keyboard, charged $4,000 for it. It would have owned the family room and made a darn good profit. 

One can only dream...
    muthuk_vanalingamGeorgeBMacsuperklotonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 45
    Apple should have put the brains of an iMac into a 65-inch screen with AppleTV built-in, thrown in a decent remote plus wireless keyboard, charged $4,000 for it. It would have owned the family room and made a darn good profit. 

One can only dream…
    I'm very glad they never did that. Having a single, 65" TV isn't ideal for all users. The price point is high, and I'm not sure it would even be possible to get a profit when you're putting the "brains" of a full iMac into it.I assume you mean that it would run tvOS and not still be an iMac with something godawful like Back Row (the precursor to the original Apple TV UI) running on it.

I'd have much rather preferred Apple work with other set makers to allow the Apple TV to connect seamlessly, but that day of desire is from almost 15 years ago and faded over a decade ago. I never check my TV's UI after setup since HDMI-CEC has works great with my Apple TV. The only device I need to then manually turn off the TV is when I put my Nintendo Switch to sleep.

Back in the day when the Apple TV was released I would've much rather Apple had a cable/ satellite box option, but even that day is long gone with streaming services being so prolific for so many users.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 45
    Xed said:
    Beats said:
    Beats said:
    Beats said:
    rob53 said:

Yes, I know this.

Probably. Apple has a lot to be proud of with their chip designs and the branding is already powerful despite it being under 2 months old.

I think it would be a good idea and simplify the naming. "A-series chips" always sounded awkward to me.

Anyways my point wasn't so much the branding but that I hope Apple takes Apple TV more serious and maybe include an Apple Silicon Mac chip in it. I wanna see it beat PS5 in power but be more fun than Nintendo consoles.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 45

One can only dream...

My idea was more put an A-series chip in 3rd party manufactured sets ($150) then charge licensing ($20 bucks) so they run Apple TV natively.

Why would 3rd parties want this? Because it offloads the software to Apple, security, compatibility and because the other options SUCK. This makes the price hike and $20 licensing fee a bargain.

Apple can still do this.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 45
    Beats said:
    Xed said:
    Beats said:
    Beats said:
    Beats said:
    rob53 said:

Yes, I know this.

I think it would be a good idea and simplify the naming. "A-series chips" always sounded awkward to me.

Anyways my point wasn't so much the branding but that I hope Apple takes Apple TV more serious and maybe include an Apple Silicon Mac chip in it. I wanna see it beat PS5 in power but be more fun than Nintendo consoles.
    I'm usually not a big fan of Apple naming conventions, but for their chips I didn't think A-series was bad since it was the first (at least shipping) chip they produced. The others seem to go off in other directions which didn't seem to have much in the way reason. Like why T-series? Or why switch W-series for H-series. M-series for motion seems fine. I do think they should keep those letter designations since they have so many chips, but Apple Silicon has a blanket for all their chips is pleasant sounding.

I do hope they use Mac-grade ASi chips and take Apple TV gaming more serious, but I have doubts that will happen. There is the potential for the Nintendo Switch controller to start working with the Apple TV. I hope that's at least true as I'd like to try out Apple Arcade but I'm not going to buy a $70 SteelSeries game controller to play it.
    edited August 2020 Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 45
    aegean said:
    No doubt Apple TV needs a lot of improvements. One of them is to fix their audio output . If they had to remove optical out, the should have fixed their wireless/bluetooth audio output first,  
    The best audio setup would be to connect the Apple TV to a modern AVR first and from there to a TV. All you need for that is HDMI.
    Beatsllamawatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 45
    The ‘smart’ TV’s I’ve interacted with are a design/functionality mess and probably the single biggest internet security threat anyone has in their house.
    edited August 2020 Fidonet127Beatsllamasuperklotonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 45
    The obvious problem with relying on your smart TV alone: the manufacturers artificially limit the capability of the TV by restricting OS updates to specific models and years. That's how they can claim "new" smart features. It's not because the chips inside the newest TV models are much better, but rather that they simply don't allow older models to get the software update that contains the feature. 
    edited August 2020 Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 45
    My 2018 (purchased this past December) Samsung 65" QLED uses Tizen OS. It's the best I've seen, as far as "smart" TVs, but I never use it. I'm more than content with my Apple TV 4K as my primary media device. It's a lot more powerful than any "smart" TV on the market. I was impressed to get an update on it with Apple TV+ right after purchase, but it's not enough for me to use it on the TV. 

The biggest feature that impresses me the most with the TV, is the near instant turn on when I turn on the Apple TV. Literally, the TV is up and running in less than 3 seconds. 
    chemengin1watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 45
    gilly33gilly33 Posts: 444member
    rob53 said:
    I suppose it depends on how old your Android tv is. Most reviewers claim the latest iteration of Android for TVs is way more responsive and zippier. I’ve been toying with the idea of getting a Sony oled over the LG but don’t like Android that much. Begs the question are they sending updates to your tv or giving you the shaft like with the phones. So I hear you. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 45
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 945member
    Those smart tvs alone have no  dvr storage. That’s a dealbreaker. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 45
    JFC_PA said:
    Those smart tvs alone have no  dvr storage. That’s a dealbreaker. 
    The future of DVRs for the masses will be centrally stored data from the provider, which will be the streaming service, in most cases. Like with Hulu's Live TV option.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 45
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,655member
    95% of consumers won't care that the built-in 'smart' functions are Android based because they don't see it or perceive it.   Apple's UI and graphics is definitely far superior, but when it comes down to it for most consumers, they open the screen, they choose Netflix or Hulu or Amazon or the streaming version of some cable network and once they do that, the UI and graphics become completely irrelevant.  

The only way Apple can win this is if they fund the cost of the streaming subs to providers other than Apple TV+.  so Hulu or Netflix or whatever is either free or offered at a big discount with the Apple TV box.   Or, they greatly increase the amount of content that's included for free with the service.   Otherwise, the lifespan of the Apple TV box is going to be very limited and determined by the TV replacement cycle.   Virtually every TV today is a "smart" TV.   

I bought my elderly mother a 42" smart TV for about $219 and the smart TV functions work fine (not that she used any as should could barely change channels).    I think the Roku sticks will pretty much disappear as well, as the Roku functionality is already built in to many (most?) TV's.  

And why doesn't the AppleTV remember your log-in info?  Why do I have to re-enter it every time I enable another streaming service?  
    edited August 2020