Compared: $4,999 27-inch iMac vs $4,999 iMac Pro

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2020
Although the iMac Pro carries Apple's professional designation, your money may be better spent on a 2020 27-inch iMac.

Credit: Apple

Before the refresh of the standard iMac on Tuesday, the iMac Pro was really the only choice for a workstation-class Apple all-in-one. With a few key upgrades, however, the 27-inch iMac has taken its throne.

Here's how the base model iMac Pro, which starts at $4,999, compares to a 27-inch iMac upgraded to the same price. Both are discounted with exclusive promo code deals found in the AppleInsider Mac Price Guide.

iMac Pro versus $4999 27-inch iMac -- Specifications

For the purposes of this comparison, we've taken the 27-inch iMac and made key upgrades to bring its price up to $4,999 to match the base model iMac Pro. Price$4,999Lowest 27-inch iMac prices$4,999Lowest iMac Pro prices
$4,999 27-inch iMac (2020)$4,999 Base iMac Pro (2017)
Processor3.6GHz 10-core, 10th-generation Intel Core i9 processor, Turbo Boost up to 5.0GHz3.0GHz 10-core Intel Xeon W processor, Turbo Boost up to 4.5GHz
GraphicsRadeon Pro 5700 XT with 16GB of GDDR6 memoryRadeon Pro Vega 56 with 8GB of HBM2 memory
RAM32GB of 2666MHz DDR4 32GB of 2666MHz DDR4 ECC
Internal storage2TB SSD1TB SSD
Display5120 x 2880 Retina display
True Tone
Nano-texture glass
5120 x 2880 Retina display
Connectivity802.11ac Wi-Fi
Bluetooth 5.0
10Gb Ethernet
802.11ac Wi-Fi
Bluetooth 5.0
10Gb Ethernet
Microphone + Camera1080p FaceTime Camera
Studio-quality, three-mic array
1080p FaceTime camera
Four-microphone array
Video outputUp to two 6K displays at 60Hz, one 5K at 60Hz, or two 4K displays at 60HzUp to two 5K displays at 60Hz or up to four 4K UHD displays at 60Hz
T2 ChipYesYes
PortsTwo Thunderbolt 3 ports, Four USB A, SDXCFour Thunderbolt 3 ports, Four USB A, SDXC
T2 ChipYesYes

iMac Pro versus $4999 27-inch iMac -- Performance

When the iMac Pro first launched in 2017, Apple touted it as the most powerful Mac that it had ever made. That was three years ago, however.

The base model iMac Pro is equipped with a 10-core Intel Xeon W processor, which is a workstation-class chip rated at 3.0GHz with Turbo Boost up to 4.5GHz.

It's been long enough without an update that the 27-inch iMac's consumer-grade Intel chip is faster, however. The top-line iMac processor -- a 10-core, 10th-generation Intel Core i9 CPU Comet Lake chip -- is rated at 3.6GHz with Turbo Boost speeds up to 5.0GHz.

Although benchmarks aren't always indicative of real-world performance for any given user, there are a useful in this instance. The iMac Pro in this comparison clocks in with a single-core score of 1125 and a multi-core score of about 9480 in Geekbench 5 testing, at about 140W TDP. It remains a custom part for the iMac Pro.

Although it isn't yet clear which specific chip model the new iMac has, it's based on the Comet Lake architecture and is probably the Intel Core i9-10910. This Comet Lake Intel Core i9 processor benchmarked a single-core score of about 1420 and a multi-core score of around 11000, with about 125W TDP.

What is a question here, is the thermal situation between the two machines. To handle that 140W, The iMac Pro had a custom cooling situation, and eschewed the RAM door to get that done. The 27-inch iMac still has that door -- but also has a different motherboard than previous models and slightly less TDP. We'll know more about this after we get our hands on the new iMac.

iMac Pro versus $4999 27-inch iMac -- input and output

Input and output, networking, and Wi-Fi are very close. Both are still using 802.11ac, both have Bluetooth 5.0. The iMac Pro has four 40 Gbit/second Thunderbolt 3 ports versus two on the 27-inch iMac, and both have four 5Gbit/second USB-A ports.

This is a big differentiator to those with a large number of external devices, or multiple monitors that need to be connected externally. This can be avoided somewhat with external Thunderbolt 3 docks or eGPUs, but this may be the determining factor between models for those with big input and output needs.

iMac Pro versus $4999 27-inch iMac -- RAM & internal storage

Comparing the 27-inch iMac to the iMac Pro gets a bit more interesting when it comes to RAM and internal storage. Both upgrade options can cost a user a lot of money at the time of purchase.

Apple's iMac Pro comes standard with 1TB of internal SSD storage. Upgrading the iMac's SSD to 1TB costs an additional $200, though we've chosen to bump that up to 2TB in our comparison.

There are two main differences when dealing with RAM between the two machines given that the speed is effectively the same between the two models -- the RAM door for user upgrades on the 27-inch iMac, and the ECC RAM on the iMac Pro.

As we discussed on Wednesday, you already know if you need ECC RAM. Most don't.

Furthermore, we don't recommend users upgrade their 27-inch iMac RAM at the time of purchase. For this analysis, given that the vast majority of users stick with the RAM that they purchased originally, we've chosen to bring the model in-line with the iMac Pro's baseline RAM of 32GB.

iMac Pro versus $4999 27-inch iMac -- Graphics

The base model iMac Pro sports a Radeon Pro Vega 56 with 8GB of HBM2 memory. The 2020 27-inch iMac comes standard with a Radeon Pro 5500 XT with 8GB of GDDR6 memory, but we configured it with a Radeon Pro 5700 XT with 16GB.

Looking at benchmarks, the Radeon 5700 XT delivers much better performance across several metrics. And that's the Radeon 5700 XT equipped with 8GB of RAM, and not 16GB like our model.

While it gets the job done, the Vega 56 in the iMac Pro is starting to show its relative age. And, supplies of the chip suitable for the iMac Pro and eGPU solutions like the BlackMagic one are running low.

iMac Pro versus $4999 27-inch iMac -- Display

The iMac Pro and the 2020 27-inch iMac have what is essentially the same display. Both have a 27-inch Retina 5K display with a resolution of 5120 x 2880 and support for one billion colors. They both feature P3 wide color support and 500 nits of brightness.

As with our previous iMac comparison, there are two noteworthy differences with the new 27-inch iMac model.
For one, the 27-inch iMac now features a True Tone display, which should make reading a bit easier on the eyes in some cases.

Like we've done in this like-price comparison, the 27-inch iMac can also be configured with Apple's high-quality, anti-reflective nano-texture glass. For the purposes of this comparison, we've configured our iMac with the feature as a point of departure with the iMac Pro. The iMac Pro doesn't currently support the upgrade.

iMac Pro versus $4999 27-inch iMac -- the final verdict

The iMac Pro was at the very pinnacle of Apple's desktop lineup when it launched in 2017. Since then, it's been dethroned by the Mac Pro in terms of raw desktop performance.

But now, with the release of the refreshed 27-inch iMac, the internals on the iMac Pro is certainly showing its age. Our comparison proves that you'll get more bang for your buck if you upgrade a 27-inch iMac than you would for a base iMac Pro.

That's not even considering the fact that you can upgrade the RAM in the 27-inch iMac yourself, and save $600 while doing so. And, you can leave off the $500 for the nano-texture display too. This results in an all-in-one machine with slightly more performance for most users, for $1100 less, depending on where you get your RAM.

In other words, the 27-inch iMac is going to be a better and faster computer for just about every type of user. As we mentioned, that's due to the iMac Pro's age. But until Apple issues an actual update of its all-in-one workstation, we recommend the 27-inch iMac in almost every scenario.

Lowest prices on 2020 iMacs

Shoppers looking to pick up a new iMac can save on both the 27-inch iMac and the iMac Pro with coupon deals available exclusively at AppleInsider. Details can be found in the 2020 27-inch iMac Price Guide and the 2020 iMac Pro Price Guide.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,124member
    Comparisons based on specs alone aren’t particularly useful.  A side by side comparison of how they perform in the real world would be a lot more informative. 
    watto_cobradewmeMplsP
  • Reply 2 of 20
    ednlednl Posts: 61member
    Isn't the new SD card slot UHS-II? That would be a bonus. And isn't the 5700XT known for producing a lot of heat & noise? I wonder how that will work inside the old iMac case.
    watto_cobralkrupp
  • Reply 3 of 20
    But it doesn't come in space grey.  Everyone knows that pros require darker, edgier equipment.

I'm somewhat surprised that Apple didn't knock a few (hundred) bucks off the pro, but perhaps they would actually prefer that consumers do the obvious thing and buy the new model instead.
    watto_cobralkrupp
  • Reply 4 of 20
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    flydog said:
    Comparisons based on specs alone aren’t particularly useful.  A side by side comparison of how they perform in the real world would be a lot more informative. 
    But yet, they are by far our number one request for content in the hours after new hardware is released. Like the last 10 or so of these, when we get the hardware in-hand and are comfortable with our results, these pieces are amplified, often with a video.

In short, I agree with you, in part.

That side-by-side? Who's universal workflow would you suggest? Unfortunately, this isn't as practical a suggestion as you (or I) would like.
    edited August 2020 muthuk_vanalingamdysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 20
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator

ednl said:
    Isn't the new SD card slot UHS-II? That would be a bonus. And isn't the 5700XT known for producing a lot of heat & noise? I wonder how that will work inside the old iMac case.
    The 5700XT situation is complex. The noise situation very much depends on the cooling system design, and it is no hotter than a Vega 64 that you can get in the iMac Pro, or the Radeon VII that I have in an eGPU enclosure -- and perhaps a bit less on the latter, but that's anecdotal only based on my one-enclosure testing. I agree that some of the PCI-E cards with the chipset are chattery, but Apple's 5700XT for the Mac Pro are not.

We'll see how it goes.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 20
    ednlednl Posts: 61member

We'll see how it goes.

Yes, looking fwd to it. Thanks.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 20
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    Whacking a ten core i9 @125w plus a 5700XT in the old case design might be quite interesting from a thermal perspective. It might be better to step down a bit.

I fully specced out the new iMac (i9, 128 GB RAM, 8 TB SSD, 5700XT, 10GB Ethernet, nano glass, Applecare) and got to AUD$13,500.

That’s about $8900 USD equivalent after GST is removed (we have a local Apple tax so Apple never bears exchange rate risk unfortunately).

Going back to above mid range I screwed it down to about AUD$4000 (i7, 1TB, 5700, no extra RAM, no 10 GB Ethernet, no high tech glass).

My last iMac was top of the range and cost AUD$2900 in 2011. Sigh.

i guess the new one is four times faster and superior in every way except repairability, where it is a massive step back, but still.
    edited August 2020
  • Reply 8 of 20
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Makes me wonder if there will even be another revision of the iMac Pro.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    dysamoria said:
    Good point.  There really is no reason for another revision now that Apple shipped the Mac Pro, and the new consumer Mac comes close in performance with the 10-core i9.  Apple offers all the MacBooks in various 'colors', so they should do the same with the consumer iMac and offer it in both silver or Space Gray.  They didn't even 'revise' the iMac Pro.  They just dropped the 8-core option and lowered the price of the same 10-core model they had before.  Since they haven't done anything with it for 3 years, it sure does seem like it is on its way out, especially with Apple Silicon around the corner.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 20
    jrg_ukjrg_uk Posts: 64member
    The iMac Pro does come with ECC RAM, which makes it deserving of a “pro” label. Anyone serious about their data would benefit from that.

(it’s a continuing shame that MacBook Pro do not have an ECC option. Apple shouldn’t be beholden to Intel chipsets, and ought to have been able to offer it even on the Core Processor Family of CPUs and at a good price.)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 20
    dysamoria said:
    Good point.  There really is no reason for another revision now that Apple shipped the Mac Pro, and the new consumer Mac comes close in performance with the 10-core i9.  Apple offers all the MacBooks in various 'colors', so they should do the same with the consumer iMac and offer it in both silver or Space Gray.  They didn't even 'revise' the iMac Pro.  They just dropped the 8-core option and lowered the price of the same 10-core model they had before.  Since they haven't done anything with it for 3 years, it sure does seem like it is on its way out, especially with Apple Silicon around the corner.
    Except that this is a comparison of the bottom end of the iMac Pro with the top end of the iMac.

It doesn’t follow from this iMac upgrade that the iMac Pro isn’t selling to the audience it was created for. However, Intel updated the Xeon-W line late last year, which means Apple can, if they so choose, do a quiet refresh of the iMac Pro. The base configuration would be 12-core. I still expect they will do that, but I’m beginning to wonder...

I wonder if we will first see the new iMac form factor in the iMac Pro, and it could be relatively soon — it would be Intel-only at first, but the new form factor would carry over to the first Apple Silicon iMacs next year. 
  • Reply 12 of 20
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    dysamoria said:
    When the iMac Pro was released I had a feeling it was a "What can we get out the door fast while we build a real pro system" machine. I won't be surprised if it is quietly discontinued in the next year or so. The regular iMac line is comparable, as this article shows, and Apple has a real Mac Pro squeezing it from the top. 
  • Reply 13 of 20
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,368member
    Would be interesting to see how the two options compare in a high load application where thermal performance comes into play. I totally agree with your assessment that the regular iMac is the better choice for most people. The iMac Pro is probably still the better choice for a narrow (and constantly narrowing) niche of users who really need the beefier core components and thermal design that the Pro version offers. This is simply the nature of technology, the performance available at lower price points keeps getting better and better as the benefits of technology advances filter down through all levels of the product line.

The key differentiator for higher cost products then comes down to the other quality attributes beyond performance, such as availability, resiliency, reliability, scalability, etc., of the system and its components. The use of ECC memory in the Pro reflects the Pro product's imperative to deliver better availability and fault tolerance. Putting increased emphasis on a different set of quality attributes is always controversial because it has a big impact on cost/price/TCO. I lived through the era when systems that were expected to be designed around the utmost attention to quality attributes like reliability and fault tolerance "at any cost" were subjected to great fiscal scrutiny and ultimately replaced, in-part or in-whole, by commercial off the shelf (COTS) equivalents. The apparent savings were substantial, but if the sh** really hits the fan and these cost reduced systems are subjected to conditions that exceed commercial standards, I absolutely know that the folks who made the "it's good enough" decisions will be vilified,

So yeah, if you are in a situation where you know you need a Pro system but you may save a few bucks by going with a sub-Pro solution, the gamble is all on you. Maybe you will get lucky, maybe you won't. Fortunately, at least on the iMac Pro front, there probably aren't a whole lot of folks who are truly in need of a true Pro solution. If I was integrating an iMac into the combat system of a nuclear submarine, choosing the Pro version would be a no-brainer. But for a graphics professional or game developer, eh, maybe not so much.
    tenthousandthings
  • Reply 14 of 20
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,292member
    jrg_uk said:
    The iMac Pro does come with ECC RAM, which makes it deserving of a “pro” label. Anyone serious about their data would benefit from that.

(it’s a continuing shame that MacBook Pro do not have an ECC option. Apple shouldn’t be beholden to Intel chipsets, and ought to have been able to offer it even on the Core Processor Family of CPUs and at a good price.)
    Also, AVX-512. 

But -- what actually takes advantage of AVX-512? Do any of Apple's pro apps? 

And regarding ECC -- in principle, it sounds great. Given a choice between errors being corrected vs not corrected, who wouldn't choose "corrected"? But I have searched high and low for actual evidence regarding the practical benefits of ECC, and outside of a few academic papers focused on servers, using metrics I honestly don't understand, I just can't find anything. And in terms of my own personal experience, which involves running months worth of simulations on both ECC and non-ECC machines, I have not been able to perceive an advantage to ECC. Having said that, if I could just pay $50 and get ECC, I'd do it. But that's not on offer. 

• Reply 15 of 20
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,292member

dysamoria said:
    There's an iPad pro and an iPhone pro, so I bet there will continue to be an iMac pro. 

BUT -- when we move to a post-Intel world, the differentiator for "Pro" might change. Instead of being ECC and AVX-512, it might be display size and/or quality. It might also be expandability. For example, maybe the iMac has a 24" screen and RAM is not user-upgradeable, but the iMac Pro has a 30" screen with upgradeable RAM. 
  • Reply 16 of 20
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    dysamoria said:

At the top end, the iMac Pro is still much more performant than the new iMac. So those who want/need more power in an all-in-one will go for an iMac Pro. Due to thermal limitations, I doubt we'll see an updated version. So, I have a feeling the current iMac Pro was only a stop-gap system for those waiting for a "Pro" system. I'm guessing what we have now, is the last of Intel iMacs and will remain as is, until this time next year when ASi based iMacs are released.

My guess is that this year, we will see a new new Mac mini and a variation of a MacBook (Air or Pro) with Apple's new silicon. The MacBook to demonstrate what's possible with battery life, and the mini to demonstrate what kind of performance we can expect from other desktop systems (and something to replace the developer's kit mini).
  • Reply 17 of 20
    The value of ECC and Xeon (in particular) is somewhat questionable for the vast majority of people. 

Scientific apps can catch data errors in software if coded right anyway so I’m not sold on ECC unless you have a specific app that formally needs it. 

And consumer chips have always been faster than the overpriced xeons available. 

I guess if you need a bigger spec than what you looked at , the iMac Pro is still an option. (Or Mac Pro)

• Reply 18 of 20
    Also meant to add that AMD is kicking intel in the nuts these days in both the workstation space (Thread ripper) and general consumer space (new Ryzen series due imminently) so would really like to see Apple use their chips instead of Intels (which tend to be hotter and higher wattage)
  • Reply 19 of 20
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,929member
    Apple has a long history of keeping prices constant and then releasing an updated machine for the same price. That's fine for products updated frequently, but I've never understood why they don't drop the prices with products like the iMac pro that haven't been updated in several years.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    toddzrxtoddzrx Posts: 254member
    MplsP said:
    Apple has a long history of keeping prices constant and then releasing an updated machine for the same price. That's fine for products updated frequently, but I've never understood why they don't drop the prices with products like the iMac pro that haven't been updated in several years.
    I don't understand why Apple releases products and then doesn't upgrade them for years on end, at least on the computer side of the house. The iMac Pro and Mini come readily to mind. Especially in the case of the Pro: Apple usually does a good job making clear distinctions between product lines, so why let a 3 year old machine linger on the shelf without any upgrades while releasing a new iMac that looks to perform better in most cases?  Seems to me the iMac Pro fulfilled its mission as a stop-gap, so either kill it or upgrade it.