Apple thrives in India, China for Q2 despite COVID-19 effects

Posted:
in iPhone
The iPhone was the most popular premium smartphone in India for the second quarter of 2020, according to IDC, but while the smartphone market in China slumped as a whole, Apple continued to see growth in the important market.

Sanlitun Apple Store in Beijing, China
Sanlitun Apple Store in Beijing, China

The onset of the COVID-19 pandemic early in 2020 caused many problems for Apple across the board, including impacting both its supply chain and retail operations. The social distancing measures and socioeconomic issues generated by national lockdowns also had an effect on consumer demand, but according to research from analysts at IDC, it seems that Apple is still doing well in two important countries.

The smartphone market in India has, for the most part, slumped in terms of year-on-year growth for Q2 2020, with the market enduring an average year-on-year decline in shipments of 50.6%. For the top five vendors, the most popular Xiaomi saw its shipment volumes slashed from 10.4 million units in Q2 2019 to 5.4 million for Q2 2020, with second-place Samsung faring similarly, going from 9.3 million down to 4.8 million.

While Apple wasn't in the top five vendors in India, IDC did call out some of Apple's successes in specific segments.

For the mid-premium segment, for devices between $300 and $500, Apple's iPhone SE reboot was among the top models, though the group as a whole saw a decline of 4.8% overall. In the premium category, classed as smartphones valued at $500 or more, the group declined by 35.4% year-on-year, but Apple still held on to a 48.8% share of the market.

The iPhone 11 and iPhone XR accounted for approximately 28% of premium smartphone shipments in the period.

Apple's fortunes in India follow at a time when it is looking to increase its manufacturing capability in the country, as part of India's $6.6 billion Production-Linked Incentive Scheme. There has also been the suggestion that Apple was moving six iPhone production lines to India, in a bid to diversify its production capabilities from a China-centric system.

China growth while rivals decline

In China, the smartphone market also saw reduced shipments compared to the same period last year, with an overall decline of 10.3%. The decline is narrower than the 20.3% decline seen for the previous quarter, and brings the overall contraction for the first half of 2020 to 14.9%.

IDC China shipments smartphones Q2 2020

For the top five vendors, Apple resides in fifth place, though it has seen the best improvement in the group. For Q2 2020, Apple enjoyed a year-on-year growth in shipments from 6.6 million units to 7.3 million. Apple did score the highest growth out of the top five, with the popular Huawei seeing 9.5% growth year-on-year while Vivo, Oppo, and Xiaomi shipments shrank by 18%, 22.7%, and 21.9% respectively.

The iPhone SE contributed 10% of overall shipments in the period, and IDC reckons it helped to stimulate off-season shipments. There was also additional support brought on by the "618" shopping festival and better "offline-channel incentives" for iPhone purchases.

In its quarterly results, Apple revealed it hard earned $9.3 billion from the greater China region, up 1.9% year-on-year and with the iPhone 11 being Apple's best-selling phone for the market.

It remains to be seen if this success will continue, as escalating tensions between the United States and China over TikTok and other subjects may cause some backlash from consumers or the Chinese government, which could impact Apple's future sales.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,622member
    Any improvement is, well, an improvement but absolute sales (in IDC terms) were dismal for Apple.

Of the almost 88 million handsets shipped during Q2, just over 7 million went to Apple. 

The reasons for this are many (trade war, COVID-19, Huawei) but this point is crucial IMO:

"In 2020Q2, almost half of the smartphones in China were shipped with 5G connectivity – ahead of other regions or countries" 

Given the accelerating push on 5G in China, not having a 5G iPhone is clearly a limiting factor. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 2 of 23
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    avon b7 said:
    Any improvement is, well, an improvement but absolute sales (in IDC terms) were dismal for Apple.

Of the almost 88 million handsets shipped during Q2, just over 7 million went to Apple. 

The reasons for this are many (trade war, COVID-19, Huawei) but this point is crucial IMO:

"In 2020Q2, almost half of the smartphones in China were shipped with 5G connectivity – ahead of other regions or countries" 

Given the accelerating push on 5G in China, not having a 5G iPhone is clearly a limiting factor. 

Apple's record-breaking quarter was fine. Apple reported record users in all categories.

I'm starting to think you're the only person who cares about 5G.
    Xedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 23
    Beats said:
    avon b7 said:

Apple's record-breaking quarter was fine. Apple reported record users in all categories.

Except I was talking specifically China here, which is one of Apple's most important markets for its top product: iPhone. 

We are not talking about other areas nor anything non-iPhone related. 

Keep that in mind. 

edited August 2020
  • Reply 4 of 23
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,309member
    avon b7 said:
    Beats said:
    avon b7 said:

Except I was talking specifically China here, which is one of Apple's most important markets for its top product: iPhone. 

Keep that in mind. 

Correlation is not causation, and I have a link that suggested only one in three phones sold were with 5G.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20200728005390/en/Smartphones-Sold-China-Q2-2020-5G-Phone

But hey, Huawei sold 60% of those, so break out the vino and celebrate!

There are a shit ton of cheap phones sold in China, and given that Apple is a few months out from selling 5G phones, as you suggested, with the latest modem from Qualcomm, I'm not too worried about iPhones sales. More to the point, I would guess that there are very few Chinese iPhone owners that wouldn't wait for this fall's iPhone refresh.

anantksundaramBeatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 23
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    Beats said:
    avon b7 said:

Keep that in mind. 

Correlation is not causation, and I have a link that suggested only one in three phones sold were with 5G.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20200728005390/en/Smartphones-Sold-China-Q2-2020-5G-Phone

There are a shit ton of cheap phones sold in China, and given that Apple is a few months out from selling 5G phones, as you suggested, with the latest modem from Qualcomm, I'm not too worried about iPhones sales. More to the point, I would guess that there are very few Chinese iPhone owners that wouldn't wait for this fall's iPhone refresh.

This is about IDC but even 1 in 3 is still a huge amount. 

And this is not about the the iPhone 12 either. 

It's about Q2. 

• Reply 6 of 23
    Apple became the world’s most valuable company by following a simple strategy: focus on value not volume, profits not market share, customer service not cheap tech specs, ecosystem not one-off products & services, patience not run-and-grab, and in the meantime, leave the cheap sh** to competitors who can have at it to their hearts’ content.

No need to think that strategy or its outcome will be any different in India or China.
    edited August 2020 tmayXedBeatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 23
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    Beats said:
    avon b7 said:

Keep that in mind. 

This is about IDC but even 1 in 3 is still a huge amount. 

And this is not about the the iPhone 12 either. 

It's about Q2. 

No, you don't get to set the goalposts this time. 

You know, I know, and the Chinese know, that iPhone 12 is coming, with few delays, according to the latest reports. Any sales before that are with the knowledge that a number of 5G models are coming out, and yet, Apple's shipments improved YOY.

I told you to celebrate Huawei's great victory, but it's just one quarter after another in the end.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 23
    Apple became the world’s most valuable company by following a simple strategy: focus on value not volume, profits not market share, customer service not cheap tech specs, ecosystem not one-off products & services, patience not run-and-grab, and in the meantime, leave the cheap sh** to competitors who can have at it to their hearts’ content.

No need to think that strategy or its outcome will be any different in India or China.
    Again. This is about iPhone. Not Apple's wider business. And I am referring to iPhone in China. 

Apple adjusted prices downwards worldwide but allowed Chinese retailers to add further discounts. This even before COVID-19 struck. 

China has been a problem for Apple and its strategy wasn't really moving the needle there. Now we have another stab at a low cost iPhone (SE) while competitors move into Apple's preferred territory. This from the IDC article linked here:

"Huawei continued to capture a higher market share at 45.2% with its strong brand image and well-rounded product portfolio. The vendor successfully targeted the US$300-600 segment with its Huawei nova 7 and Honor 30 series, and enhanced its premium position with the Huawei P40 Pro series"

That is a two pronged assault that has reaped rewards. 

And an that well-rounded product portfolio obviously includes something for everyone, including 5G.

From September onwards there will be severe market distortion because Trump is trying to cut off Huawei's chip supply and that will obviously aide Apple (if China doesn't go into tit for tat mode and pull the rug out from under Apple) combined with finally having 5G on board. 

prismatics
  • Reply 9 of 23
    XedXed Posts: 2,519member
    avon b7 said:

Again. This is about iPhone. Not Apple's wider business. And I am referring to iPhone in China. 

Apple adjusted prices downwards worldwide but allowed Chinese retailers to add further discounts. This even before COVID-19 struck. 

China has been a problem for Apple and its strategy wasn't really moving the needle there. Now we have another stab at a low cost iPhone (SE) while competitors move into Apple's preferred territory. This from the IDC article linked here:

"Huawei continued to capture a higher market share at 45.2% with its strong brand image and well-rounded product portfolio. The vendor successfully targeted the US$300-600 segment with its Huawei nova 7 and Honor 30 series, and enhanced its premium position with the Huawei P40 Pro series"

And an that well-rounded product portfolio obviously includes something for everyone, including 5G.

From September onwards there will be severe market distortion because Trump is trying to cut off Huawei's chip supply and that will obviously aide Apple (if China doesn't go into tit for tat mode and pull the rug out from under Apple) combined with finally having 5G on board. 
    It's about the iPhone and yet you're pooh-poohing Apple for not selling as many unit as all cheap, handset makers combined. Good one.
    Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 23
    avon b7 said:

You don't think that Huawei relied on heavy discounting, not to mention that it is China's Golden Company, oppressed by the Evil Americans? You would need to demonstrate that Huawei is actually competing with Apple, and not just taking share away from other Chinese OEM's, which is really what's happening.

Of course, we will know in late January, won't we, when Apple announces its quarterlies, but Huawei will be in much more pain than Apple will be, mostly because China needs Apple. Push Apple out, and China has just thrown the switch on full blown disengagement from the West. Not good for Xi Jinping's rule for life.

Acually, China throwing that switch would be okay with me. China is a Authoritarian state that needs to feel the pain of world isolation, and before you go "but Trump", the odds are that we will have a new President in January, and I doubt that the U.S. will ever be going back to placating China for cheap goods.
    edited August 2020 Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 23
    Xed said:
    avon b7 said:

It's about the iPhone and yet you're pooh-poohing Apple for not selling as many unit as all cheap, handset makers combined. Good one.
    I'm commenting on the IDC base report and the article. That is the whole point. 

Looking at the figures presented, do you think Apple is thriving? 

The IDC comments also specifically highlight the non-cheap angle regarding the best performer in that market. 
    prismatics
  • Reply 12 of 23
    avon b7 said:
    Xed said:
    avon b7 said:

The IDC comments also specifically highlight the non-cheap angle regarding the best performer in that market. 
    Only Huawei and Apple had positive growth, so for a fact, Apple is "thriving" especially given that Apple's margins are 4 times greater than Huawei, and Apple has yet to release its iPhone 12 product line. That also indicates that Huawei isn't taking sales from Apple.

But how wonderful Huawei is doing on its home turf. You should be so proud, and you are.
    edited August 2020 Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 23
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:

You don't think that Huawei relied on heavy discounting, not to mention that it is China's Golden Company, oppressed by the Evil Americans? You would need to demonstrate that Huawei is actually competing with Apple, and not just taking share away from other Chinese OEM's, which is really what's happening.

Of course, we will know in late January, won't we, when Apple announces its quarterlies, but Huawei will be in much more pain than Apple will be, mostly because China needs Apple. Push Apple out, and China has just thrown the switch on full blown disengagement from the West. Not good for Xi Jinping's rule for life.

Acually, China throwing that switch would be okay with me. China is a Authoritarian state that needs to feel the pain of world isolation, and before you go "but Trump", the odds are that we will have a new President in January, and I doubt that the U.S. will ever be going back to placating China for cheap goods.
    You fall into the same hole every year. You should know by now, that one quarter is indicative of very little although every year you make the same points but at the end of the year it has been the same picture. Not to much to celebrate. 

In spite of that I celebrate the steps Apple has taken but that isn't what is being presented by IDC, is it? 

What do you actually disagree with in what I said? You can, it is an opinion, after all. 

Discounting is typical among Android vendors. It is not typical for iPhone sales. Apple notorious for trying to keep discounting very much under strict control. 

For one, Android handsets are refreshed far more frequently because of intense competition. That led to new features coming thick and fast and over the last few years especially has left Apple to catch up. 

So, when Apple does discount, it is indicative of something going wrong in the plan. It is part of a correction. That is not the case on Android. 

Huawei is very much competing with Apple. You do not need a demonstration of that. 

Ponds are only so big. The market for high end phones is also only so big. The more players in that pond, the more sales are shared out. Huawei is absolutely on Apple's ultra premium turf and each successive year has seen its premium sales increase. Huawei is definitely having an impact on Apple in China. Worldwide, the 'duopoly' is gone. It is now a three horse race and Huawei has impacted both Samsung and Apple.

prismatics
  • Reply 14 of 23
    XedXed Posts: 2,519member
    avon b7 said:
    Xed said:
    avon b7 said:

In every sense of the word Apple is thriving.
    DogpersonBeatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 23
    Xed said:
    avon b7 said:
    Xed said:
    avon b7 said:

IMO, in China, it is far from thriving. 
    edited August 2020 prismatics
  • Reply 16 of 23
    avon b7 said:
    Xed said:
    avon b7 said:
    Xed said:
    avon b7 said:

IMO, in China, it far from thriving. 
    Your opinion is noted, as an outlier.
    Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 23
    avon b7 said:

I honestly didn't give much a look at -- let alone read of -- what you said, since I assumed it was the same usual blather. I was simply responding to the article.

Stop being so full of yourself.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 23
    avon b7 said:

I honestly didn't give much a look at -- let alone read of -- what you said, since I assumed it was the same usual blather. I was simply responding to the article.

You just wasted your time, then. 

What is a discussion forum for if not to discuss? If you start writing without even reading what you are replying to, you are not doing yourself any favours.

That's your call though. 
    prismatics
  • Reply 19 of 23
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:

What is a discussion forum for if not to discuss? If you start writing without even reading what you are replying to, you are not doing yourself any favours.

That's your call though. 
    Apple's valuation increased substantially due to the results from China. Your opinion is still an outlier.
    Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 23
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:

That's your call though. 
    My posting style generally is not to engage in unproductive discussions or non sequiturs.
    watto_cobra