Russian watchdog says Apple's App Store rules and behaviors are anticompetitive

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2020
Russia's anti-competition watchdog on Monday said that Apple is abusing its dominant industry position with the iOS App Store, and an official order is imminent.

Credit: Laurenz Heymann, Unsplash
Credit: Laurenz Heymann, Unsplash

Apple is currently in the midst of antitrust probes in both the Europe and the U.S. In the latter country, ongoing investigations culminated at an U.S. House hearing in July.

Now, according to Reuters, the Russian Federal Antimonopoly Service (FAS) has issued a ruling declaring that Apple's App Store allows the company an unfair market advantage in the digital app economy.

Specifically, the FAS's ruling cites the need for users to download iOS apps from the official App Store, and claimed that Apple has "unlawfully reserved rights" to block any third-party app from the marketplace. The watchdog also signaled that it would issue an order demanding that Apple resolve it alleged regulatory abuses.

The FAS launched its investigation following a formal complaint by cybersecurity firm Kaspersky Lab. The company issued the complaint after Apple blocked its "Safe Kids" parental control app from the App Store, citing child privacy and security concerns.

At the time, Apple's removal of those parental control apps prompted concerns that the company was quashing competition of its Screen Time feature. Apple responded, stating that the use of mobile device management (MDM) and other tools in the apps presented a security risk.

The Cupertino tech giant is among the targets of large antitrust investigations across the globe. In Europe, probes were sparked by Apple Music rival Spotify. In the U.S., Apple is being examined by both the Justice Department and the House Judiciary Committee for alleged unfair behavior and treatment of apps on the App Store.

Apple has already said that it will appeal the ruling.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Apple better get bribing. 
    viclauyycqwerty52watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 35
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,200member
    "Kaspersky Lab" LOL
    Some countries are so messed up, they just aren't worth it.
    magman1979killroySpamSandwichred oakwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 35
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,293member
    Dominent market position??? LMAO!!! And just what % does Apple occupy in the Russian Federation? <10%? Give me a fucking break!

Apple better give Russia the middle finger and just pull out!
    killroyaderutterBeatschiatobianbaconstangred oakwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 35
    qwerty52qwerty52 Posts: 367member
    Of course,  they want different rules. Most af all, they would like no rules and without any control. So they can easily spy on their own people.
    killroyaderuttertobianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 35
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Rayz2016 said:
    Apple better get bribing. 
    In the long rung it likely will not solve the problem.   They might win against this specific Russian complaint (mainly because people get spastic about child protection) but in the end they are on a loosing path.   The big problem is they will end up with a patchwork of wins and losses across the globe.  

I actually think we need to see international action on things like this (consumer protections at app stores) and the related right to repair issue.   Frankly Apple just looks like total idiots (being family friendly here) with some of their policies.   Frankly I lost all interest in app store with their ridiculous MiFi program so i'm a bit biased.   Wit things like right to repair hostility Apple displays complete hypocrisy when they champion their environmental responsibility.
    BeatsOferelijahgPezabeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 6 of 35
    killroykillroy Posts: 276member
    "Russian watchdog says Apple's App Store rules and behaviors are anticompetitive"
    That's the joke of the day.
    qwerty52chialkruppbaconstangrazorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 35
    One thing I know about Russia is they are never a fair player. They never cared about playing fair in anything.  Sport doping, international affairs, business deal, war, etc. Their man can even legally beat their wife and kids, just not too badly. This is how they play fair.
    killroylkruppmike1watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 35
    I was going to make a joke about market freedom in a country literally run by crime families, then realized that's no different than the situation in the United States right now.
    Oferviclauyycmuthuk_vanalingambaconstangGeorgeBMacFileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 35
    Apple need to press for much more use of web apps by these free-lunchers, so these jokers know they have an alternative to the app store.  If Apple needs to provide some APIs for mobile safari that hook into iOS features securely then so be it. Then kick any whiners like Spotify out. Let them do their own marketing and see how successful they are without Apple’s app store. Apple could even create a distinct app to highlight the latest cool web-apps.
    viclauyycwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 35
    I was going to make a joke about market freedom in a country literally run by crime families, then realized that's no different than the situation in the United States right now.
    There is a difference: here you can give any comment you want about the government and it wil happened nothing to you . But If you give  the same comment  as a Russian in Russia to the Russian government, it will be not your best day 
    lkruppkillroyrazorpitcat52watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 35
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    aderutter said:
    Apple need to press for much more use of web apps by these free-lunchers, so these jokers know they have an alternative to the app store.  If Apple needs to provide some APIs for mobile safari that hook into iOS features securely then so be it. Then kick any whiners like Spotify out. Let them do their own marketing and see how successful they are without Apple’s app store. Apple could even create a distinct app to highlight the latest cool web-apps.

Why the fu** does Apple have to work for everyone else? I hate this idea of "Apple should develop alternatives for". Apple has no obligation to help anyone ESPECIALLY if they want to exit the eco-system or tell Apple how to run their business.
    mike1lkruppn2macsuraharakillroyrazorpitjcs2305watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 35
    Beats said:
    aderutter said:

Why the fu** does Apple have to work for everyone else? I hate this idea of "Apple should develop alternatives for". Apple has no obligation to help anyone ESPECIALLY if they want to exit the eco-system or tell Apple how to run their business.
    I know what you mean, and agree somewhat, maybe Apple can just say louder “make a web app instead!”
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 35
    tobiantobian Posts: 151member
    While I have spoken out about Spotify being charged 30% (or 15%) for something I call a “transaction”, which I see unfair, and after that being entertained by extremised DEDs article taking on opinions like that, almost all the other new “anticompetitive” lawsuites that have popped out later seems almost like a hostile coordinated attack on Apple worldwide. Not like someone is coordinating it exactly, but others feeling “this is the time to strike, to take them down”. And all these cases I call BS! Fkoff Russian FAS, fkoff EU foolocracy and every other suing! Apple does no monopoly! An alternative to iOS, macOS, or any other Apple OS devices and ecosystem is available, and cost less to obtain. You simply cannot call Apple stuff a monopoly like MS Windows and Explorer of its days, because you don’t have to spend more money to switch! Apple offers luxury, and luxury is defined by perfection which is evolving a curated content. If somebody wants cheap unsafe jungle, Androids are there.. and are making phonecalls, measuring your heartbeat, integrating your car, etc. We the society control the narrative!! and we see your unreasonable greedy attempts! All these lawsuites and unreasonable antitrust investigations will crash and burn, I feel very sure about that. Btw. Apples blocking xCloud and Stadia is absolutely reasonable. Such services have high carbon footprint, hogging connectivity and needlessly raising RF pollution. Apple is thinking out every little!
    qwerty52watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 35
    Speaking of DED, where is he?
    FileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 35
    tobian said:
    While I have spoken out about Spotify being charged 30% (or 15%) for something I call a “transaction”, which I see unfair, and after that being entertained by extremised DEDs article taking on opinions like that, almost all the other new “anticompetitive” lawsuites that have popped out later seems almost like a hostile coordinated attack on Apple worldwide. Not like someone is coordinating it exactly, but others feeling “this is the time to strike, to take them down”. And all these cases I call BS! Fkoff Russian FAS, fkoff EU foolocracy and every other suing! Apple does no monopoly! An alternative to iOS, macOS, or any other Apple OS devices and ecosystem is available, and cost less to obtain. You simply cannot call Apple stuff a monopoly like MS Windows and Explorer of its days, because you don’t have to spend more money to switch! Apple offers luxury, and luxury is defined by perfection which is evolving a curated content. If somebody wants cheap unsafe jungle, Androids are there.. and are making phonecalls, measuring your heartbeat, integrating your car, etc. We the society control the narrative!! and we see your unreasonable greedy attempts! All these lawsuites and unreasonable antitrust investigations will crash and burn, I feel very sure about that. Btw. Apples blocking xCloud and Stadia is absolutely reasonable. Such services have high carbon footprint, hogging connectivity and needlessly raising RF pollution. Apple is thinking out every little!

You are absolutely right. All those companies complaining and criticizing AppStore policy, are self trying already years long, to create such  an application store of their own, but without any success. And now all of them are crying and blaming Apple for their failures 
    How hypocrite a man could be.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 35
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,108member
    Maybe if I drink a half liter of vodka, their whining will make more sense....probably not.
    edited August 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 35
    PezaPeza Posts: 198member
    qwerty52 said:
    There is a difference: here you can give any comment you want about the government and it wil happened nothing to you . But If you give  the same comment  as a Russian in Russia to the Russian government, it will be not your best day 
    And the exact same thing will happen to you in China, or they’ll just throw you in jail for life and torture you. Or shoot you. And now in Hong Kong too, and the Western world just looks on and ignores it as Western companies enjoy the fruits of cheap Chinese labour and the massive profits it creates. And millions of Western consumers are more then happy to find that profit with their endless purchases of goods made in China. Hypocrisy at its finest.
    qwerty52razorpitcat52baconstang
  • Reply 18 of 35
    Peza said:
    qwerty52 said:
    And the exact same thing will happen to you in China, or they’ll just throw you in jail for life and torture you. Or shoot you. And now in Hong Kong too, and the Western world just looks on and ignores it as Western companies enjoy the fruits of cheap Chinese labour and the massive profits it creates. And millions of Western consumers are more then happy to find that profit with their endless purchases of goods made in China. Hypocrisy at its finest.

Right. But I think the virus crisis this days, just opened Western country’s eyes finally for good.
    razorpitcat52watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 35
    PezaPeza Posts: 198member
    qwerty52 said:
    Peza said:
    qwerty52 said:

Right. But I think the virus crisis this days, just opened Western country’s eyes finally for good.
    Not with the share prices like APPLE stock it hasn’t. I’m afraid it’s just wishful thinking, capitalism dictates the Western cultures massively fund one of the worlds biggest violent dictatorships, because it makes people in those societies rich. Just look at Cooks net value as a result..
    cat52
  • Reply 20 of 35
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    qwerty52 said:

While that MIGHT be true, what he said is completely true and accurate.   Don't cover up corruption with the Freedom banner.   It's been overused and its getting worn out.