Review: Apple's final Intel 27-inch iMac is going out with a bang

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 45
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    tht said:
    sflocal said:
    I suspect when Apple introduces the ARM iMacs, it will be basically a sealed iPad Pro running MacOS.  If they think the current iMacs are difficult to upgrade, wait till the new ones come out.  You want thin bezels, and super-thin format?  Expect every component to be soldered, including RAM and SSD.  My guess but still...
    Yes, there are going to be some lamentations when Apple Silicon Macs come out. Odds are very imo that nothing will be upgradeable except for the Mac Pro equivalent desktop machine. Even warranty busting upgrades like you can do with some Macs today where there are internal DIMM slots or socketed CPUs won't be available.

But I'll take a 32" iMac with an iPad Pro form factor: 0.25 inches thin. USBC/TB only. A 30 W SoC or thereabouts. Likely not possible though. That's a a really large object that have to make flat and thin, and pretty hard to make where every machine off the assembly line has perfectly straight edges. So, maybe 0.4 mm. ;)

Having an iMac that is thinner and smaller than a typical external display of the same size presents some interesting multiple monitor setups. If I want 2 displays on my desk, does it mean I can get 2 iMacs? And is it possible for one iMac to extend its display to the other iMac and also be able to use the computing bits inside in at least a cluster arrangement? Like a Handbrake job where I can distribute the transcoding to both machines? Also, if they can keep the power budget of the iMac less than 100 W, it can be lowered with USB-PD, so an iMac can be USB-PD bus powered from the other host iMac? 

Two iMacs acting as extended displays to one another is an interesting scenario. Stand alone 5K monitors ain't cheap, so the expense of a second iMac not as crazy as it sounds.

I would think it would at least be possible to have an iPad Sidecar type connection between iMacs (especially if they are basically overgrown iPads), but that notion of clustering could make that second (or third!) iMac very cost effective when compared to multi-monitor set ups.
    There is one way:
    https://astropad.com/product/lunadisplay/

watto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 45
    Blackmagic Disk Speed Test

With the Blackmagic Disk Speed Test, we saw average write speeds around 625MB/s and 1242MB/s for the read speeds which is far above a hybrid hard drive and similar to Apple's latest SSD speeds.
    What the hell? My 2018 MBP gets like 2600MB/s on read/write. Apple's own iMac page says "up to 3.4GB/s sequential read and write speeds".

Is this a recycled article and this section didn't get edited? Very odd.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 45
    marc g said:
    So glad I’m not the only one who gets annoyed by the complete lack of editorial oversight. At first I thought “ok, typos here and there no big deal”. But then I got to the storage comment and decided I had to comment. Come on people, take the time to have someone else look at your work before you upload. 

I believe this is the first AI article I’ve read, as I’m new to the site. Unfortunately, throwing readability and writing quality to the wind is not new. As the former senior proofreader for a large advertising agency, I can tell you that proofreaders are becoming an extinct species. These days, it’s all about quantity, not quality. 

Yet one great way to spot email scams is to observe how horribly the language and grammar have been butchered. Does this say anything about what AI writers did in the past? Probably not, but you would think they would demonstrate enough caution, re error-free writing, so as not to invite the comparison. 

• Reply 44 of 45
    Joer293Joer293 Posts: 29unconfirmed, member
    Just an update.  8tb iMac 27”. Black magic write average 2,955MB/s and read average 2,608MB/s. 

The black magic raw on the 5700xt 16gb shows 26 FPS on cpu and 55 FPS on gpu. 
    edited August 2020 fastasleep
  • Reply 45 of 45
    Joer293 said:
    Just an update.  8tb iMac 27”. Black magic write average 2,955MB/s and read average 2,608MB/s. 

The black magic raw on the 5700xt 16gb shows 26 FPS on cpu and 55 FPS on gpu. 
    That's more like it. This review is on crack.