Apple opens up independent repair shop program to include Macs [u]

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2020
Apple is expanding a repair program it launched in 2019 that provides independent repair businesses with access to the same tools, manuals, diagnostics, and parts as Apple Stores and Apple Authorized Service Providers, with the company now supplying parts for Mac repairs.

Under the existing scheme, repair outfits with an Apple-certified technician can register to get all of the assistance and tools required to perform repairs on consumer goods, using the same techniques, processes, and parts that Apple Authorized Service Providers and Apple Stores employ. While the program previously centered on iPhone repairs, Apple is now updating it to incorporate its Mac lineup.

"When a device needs repairs, we want people to have access to a safe and reliable solution - this latest expansion joins the thousands of repair locations we've added over the past year," said Apple COO Jeff Williams to Reuters. "We're looking forward to bringing that convenient and trustworthy repair experience to our Mac users."

After initially launching the Independent Repair Provider Program in the United States, it is now available in 32 countries in Europe and Canada, and so far has 140 businesses serving 700 locations.

For consumers, the program provides easier access to repairs that use both genuine parts and work to a standard they would expect from an Apple Store or AASP. On Apple's side, the program expands the areas consumers can acquire support through, especially when there isn't an Apple Store or AASP nearby, as well as gaining revenue from the sale of components to the third-party businesses.

The program has some barriers to entry, such as denying home-based businesses and with Apple able to request business documentation at any time. An Apple-certified technician is also required to acquire parts, with certification exams and training provided free by Apple itself.

Apple has come under fire for the terms it imposes on participants in the program, including the need to agree to unannounced audits and inspections by Apple, presumably to identify the use of non-genuine parts by some outfits, with penalties of fines for those caught out. Signs and documentation must also explain that the store isn't an AASP, and that consent is required from customers showing they understand the difference before a repair can go underway.

Update: In an internal memo obtained by MacRumors, Apple shared a few more details about the program. For example, the program applies to all Mac models but is limited to out-of-warranty Macs. Qualifying shops can get access to parts, tool and training on Aug. 17.

Eligible components in the program include displays, logic boards and top cases. Notably, it appears that Apple has also switched the pricing for some repair parts -- including upping the cost of 13-inch MacBook Pro displays. Shops participating in the program also must have Apple-certified technicians performing repairs, and are not eligible to offer whole unit replacements or ship devices to an Apple repair center.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    It remains to be seen how this program will become useful in the future. Currently it serves no purpose/it makes no difference whether it exists or not, maybe it could be the start of more consumer-friendly repair options sometime in the future. I can see Apple locking up their products with security as an inappropriate excuse (it's not even more secure than 5 years ago) to justify reducing the useful lifespan of a product.

The most important points of independent repair shops (e.g. access to original spare parts at reasonable prices and various chips, flash storage and expansibility options to extend a products useful lifespan and thus not waste resources) remain to be addressed.
    edited August 2020 lkrupp
  • Reply 2 of 15
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    It remains to be seen how this program will become useful in the future. Currently it serves no purpose/it makes no difference whether it exists or not, maybe it could be the start of more consumer-friendly repair options sometime in the future. I can see Apple locking up their products with security as an inappropriate excuse (it's not even more secure than 5 years ago) to justify reducing the useful lifespan of a product.

The most important points of independent repair shops (e.g. access to original spare parts at reasonable prices and various chips, flash storage and expansibility options to extend a products useful lifespan and thus not waste resources) remain to be addressed.
    Isn’t this exactly what they’re addressing? What’s the issue? Access to purchase, the pricing, what?
    Detnator
  • Reply 3 of 15
    dysamoria said:

Isn’t this exactly what they’re addressing? What’s the issue? Access to purchase, the pricing, what?
    Concluding the experience from independent repair shops (like Rossmann Group) it does not make the parts needed to do basic repairs more accessible.  Still only replacing entire part groups for hundreds of dollars even if a simple 2$ component stopped working.
    edited August 2020 raybodysamoria
  • Reply 4 of 15
    omasouomasou Posts: 576member
    dysamoria said:

Concluding the experience from independent repair shops (like Rossmann Group) it does not make the parts needed to do basic repairs more accessible.  Still only replacing entire part groups for hundreds of dollars even if a simple 2$ component stopped working.
    It's the same for cars. They replace the entire board.

As a consumer, I don't want your shoddy, cheap repair attempting to solder in a $2 chip b/c you think you can do it.
    StrangeDaysDetnator
  • Reply 5 of 15
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    omasou said:
    dysamoria said:

As a consumer, I don't want your shoddy, cheap repair attempting to solder in a $2 chip b/c you think you can do it.
    What? Do you know what soldering is? If someone can't solder a blown cap or broken keyboard switch, I sure as hell don't want them anywhere near the guts of my computer.
    dysamoriaSpamSandwich
  • Reply 6 of 15
    tobiantobian Posts: 151member
    Oh my Godness! Sounds like there is a chance to bring light to corrupted Czech AASP market! I’m going to apply immediately!
  • Reply 7 of 15
    omasouomasou Posts: 576member
    razorpit said:
    omasou said:
    dysamoria said:

What? Do you know what soldering is? If someone can't solder a blown cap or broken keyboard switch, I sure as hell don't want them anywhere near the guts of my computer.
    I know exactly what soldering is. It was part of my father's job creating prototype boards. Perhaps a keyboard is not too bad to fix since the scale is bigger but I certainly would not want someone to repair a logic board. That said, "I", "me", would rather pay for a new board or entire new keyboard than pay your labor to solder in a cheap 10 cent part that you sourced from god knows where.

It's not a question of a repair shop's ability. It's a questioning their ethics. I'd rather go with a trusted source that uses quality parts, follows SOPs, stands behind their work and doesn't negatively impact my ability to have Apple perform future repairs. Meaning if something later goes wrong and I bring it to Apple and they see a soldered chip and refuse to repair my laptop, I loose. Not worth the savings, if any.
    edited August 2020 StrangeDaysSpamSandwich
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    razorpit said:
    omasou said:
    dysamoria said:

Replacing a component at the board-level doesn't require any soldering skills.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,881member

Their computing products are more secure than they were 5 years ago. What are you talking about?

As for the usefulness of this program existing, I think it depends on where you're located. If there is no Apple Store near you, then this program is useful.
    muthuk_vanalingamDetnator
  • Reply 10 of 15
    omasou said:
    razorpit said:
    omasou said:
    dysamoria said:

I know exactly what soldering is. It was part of my father's job creating prototype boards. Perhaps a keyboard is not too bad to fix since the scale is bigger but I certainly would not want someone to repair a logic board. That said, "I", "me", would rather pay for a new board or entire new keyboard than pay your labor to solder in a cheap 10 cent part that you sourced from god knows where.

It's not a question of a repair shop's ability. It's a questioning their ethics. I'd rather go with a trusted source that uses quality parts, follows SOPs, stands behind their work and doesn't negatively impact my ability to have Apple perform future repairs. Meaning if something later goes wrong and I bring it to Apple and they see a soldered chip and refuse to repair my laptop, I loose. Not worth the savings, if any.
    What about the ethics of material waste?
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 11 of 15
    dysamoria said:
    omasou said:
    razorpit said:
    omasou said:
    dysamoria said:

Swapped-out "core" parts by techs aren't thrown in a woodchipper. They're returned to Apple, and they're either analyzed for failure or repaired on the component level, and returned to service stock.
    omasou
  • Reply 12 of 15
    dysamoria said:
    omasou said:
    razorpit said:
    omasou said:
    dysamoria said:

Swapped-out "core" parts by techs aren't thrown in a woodchipper. They're returned to Apple, and they're either analyzed for failure or repaired on the component level, and returned to service stock.
    I’m not saying I disbelieve you, but I would like to know what sources there are on this. 
  • Reply 13 of 15
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    I follow Louis Rossman... Being the Apple Hater that he is, he does make a very good living on servicing Apple computers and his repair skills are something I admire.

He did take the time to discuss this and I found it quite interesting.  Apple appears to be not very forthcoming with what independent repair shops can and can't do in this program.  The biggest two hurdles are that Apple will not allow repair shops to stock an inventory of parts.  They would have to be ordered one at a time, so for something like an iPhone battery / screen, something that a customer should be able to walk in for and get serviced immediately, they would now have to wait days/weeks for the order to be processed first.

Second, and more concerning is that Apple requires all customer information, IMEI, etc.. to take the order.  So if a customer does not give up their info (address, phone#, etc..) no sale.  I know Apple is probably one of the best companies out there in terms of privacy, but that doesn't mean that I as a customer should be required to give up my Information to the repair shop in order to get a new phone battery.

Any truth to this?

edited August 2020 FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 14 of 15
    dysamoria said:
    dysamoria said:
    omasou said:
    razorpit said:
    omasou said:
    dysamoria said:

I’m not saying I disbelieve you, but I would like to know what sources there are on this. 
    What sources? I worked in service for 13 years over two spans -- three years in the '80s, and most of the '00s.

A "Core" return part policy prevents repair shops from, say, ordering a motherboard with more Flash storage, and performing upgrades with the beefier motherboard -- as the damaged part needs to go back to Apple.
  • Reply 15 of 15

sflocal said:
    I follow Louis Rossman... Being the Apple Hater that he is, he does make a very good living on servicing Apple computers and his repair skills are something I admire.

He did take the time to discuss this and I found it quite interesting.  Apple appears to be not very forthcoming with what independent repair shops can and can't do in this program.  The biggest two hurdles are that Apple will not allow repair shops to stock an inventory of parts.  They would have to be ordered one at a time, so for something like an iPhone battery / screen, something that a customer should be able to walk in for and get serviced immediately, they would now have to wait days/weeks for the order to be processed first.

Second, and more concerning is that Apple requires all customer information, IMEI, etc.. to take the order.  So if a customer does not give up their info (address, phone#, etc..) no sale.  I know Apple is probably one of the best companies out there in terms of privacy, but that doesn't mean that I as a customer should be required to give up my Information to the repair shop in order to get a new phone battery.

Any truth to this?

On the first part, he is mostly correct. Repair shops can't stock, say, an iMac screen. They CAN stock a (very) limited quantity of batteries and screens, though. Apple's "core" part exchange, and part ordering is overnight FedEx for AASPs, but I'm not clear what the policy is for the new repair program participants. It seems to vary.

One-at-a-time part order is correct, though.

Since the foundation of Apple service, Apple (and Dell, IBM, Google, Microsoft, Lenovo, et al) has always required identifying data, like serial number, customer contact information, and the like.