Western Digital announces My Passport SSD in 500GB and 1TB capacites

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2020
Western Digital's palm-sized My Passport SSD offers fast transfer speeds with USB-C connectivity, in a portable package.

My Passport SSD boasts read speeds of 1050MB/s and write speeds of up to 1000MB/s. It features a USB 3.2 type-C port and includes a USB-C cable and a USB-A adapter for older devices. Use of the USB-A adapter will effectively cut drive speeds in half, though.

This SSD features shock and vibration resistance, and is drop resistant up to 6.5 feet. Users can protect their sensitive information thanks to its password enabled 256-bit AES hardware encryption.

If you're looking to pick one up, the My Passport SSD is available in gray in both 500GB ($119.99) and 1TB ($189.99) capacities.

The My Passport SSD will be available in additional colors and capacities later in 2020.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Will these work as an external drive for an iPad Pro?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    Yes.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 3 of 6
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Yes.
    That’s a decent price also. Just saw this for $199 on Amazon for the 1TB.
    edited August 2020
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Yes.
    FYI, probably better off getting a Samsung T7.  The 500GB model is $80.  The 1TB model is $170.  It's the same at Best Buy, Walmart, B&H.  The 2TB T7 is $320 
    aderutter
  • Reply 5 of 6
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Yes.
    FYI, probably better off getting a Samsung T7.  The 500GB model is $80.  The 1TB model is $170.  It's the same at Best Buy, Walmart, B&H.  The 2TB T7 is $320 
    The T5 is also an excellent option, particularly since you won't see the faster transfer speeds of the T7 on older systems.
    edited August 2020 aderutter
  • Reply 6 of 6
    gatorguy said:
    Yes.
    The T5 is also an excellent option, particularly since you won't see the faster transfer speeds of the T7 on older systems.
    But in this case, the T7 1TB is on sale at Amazon for $169 and the T5 1TB is $191.