Affordable Apple Watch, Apple game controller coming says prolific leaker

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    Xed said: How would that work? You have an extra long HDMI cable or a wireless adapter for an HDMI port on your TV so you can steam in 4K. I don't think either is feasible for a litany of reasons.
    Ideally, a stick style of insert for the HDMI port that has some new Apple tech inside. The stick could detach from the underside of the controller. I know this isn't a very likely approach, but I also don't think it's very likely that Apple just does their own industrial design and the rest of the functionality is the same as other controllers on the market. What can they add? You've already got some really good battery life with Nimbus/Xbos controllers. You don't need much range with a game controller. There has to be something unique. Lower wireless latency? Additional processing capability? Additional storage space on the controller? Dunno.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 27
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,276member
    A game controller really needs some awesome halo game to go with it.

Ideally Apple would also produce the next big game engine that is so, unreal, it beats every other engine for developer joy.

My son bought himself an Xbox 1 controller with our Apple TV 4K to play steam games from his gaming rig on the TV. Works quite seamlessly.

it also works perfectly fine as a remote control for the ATV
    edited August 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 27
    cornchip said:
    mike1 said:
    The "Apple TV 6" is ready and has been waiting to ship for months. It is expected to have the latest A12Z processor for better gaming experiences. Prosser says he has photos of the product, but will not share them publicly.

I strongly doubt that Apple has kept a product on the shelves "for months" before deciding to ship. This is not a new category for them.

Timing is everything.
    I think that having 1/4 of the world home watching reruns of "The Office" would be a good time to introduce something new.and not having it on the shelves waiting for a more opportune time to have people en masse with nothing to do but watch TV?

aderutterspock1234watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 27
    chasm said:
    If there's going to be a lower-cost Apple Watch made with plastic, I guarantee you it will be aimed at young people from teens to primary-school children, probably akin to the Series 3 in terms of functionality but likely taking advantage of any new battery/watchOS improvements. Functional working adults can easily afford a Series 3 or 4 right now, as they are on sale for extremely modest prices, and the current series 5 isn't unreasonable unless you compare it to barely-functional toys like the Fitbit. The Series 6 will be aimed at the same audience the 5 is aimed at.

I can only speak to my Apple TV 4K, but I can't think of anything it "needs" other than a slightly redesigned remote. It does everything I ask it to do very capably -- if there's a new model coming, I can only speculate that the focus of improvements would be oriented around the games aspect which I don't use much, so thus far it's not of much interest to me (obviously, we'll see what happens when it actually ships).

I was hoping for the Apple Watch Edition Plastique at $9,800.  It would come in Turquoise, Ecru, and Sage, and the exclusive Edition in Azul, price is based on Market Conditions, and is listed on Sothebys, as our exclusive US distributor of the Azul Plastique Edition Apple Watch.  Contact them if you are interested..
    spock1234
  • Reply 25 of 27
    Xed said: How would that work? You have an extra long HDMI cable or a wireless adapter for an HDMI port on your TV so you can steam in 4K. I don't think either is feasible for a litany of reasons.
    Ideally, a stick style of insert for the HDMI port that has some new Apple tech inside. The stick could detach from the underside of the controller. I know this isn't a very likely approach, but I also don't think it's very likely that Apple just does their own industrial design and the rest of the functionality is the same as other controllers on the market. What can they add? You've already got some really good battery life with Nimbus/Xbos controllers. You don't need much range with a game controller. There has to be something unique. Lower wireless latency? Additional processing capability? Additional storage space on the controller? Dunno.  

The latency between the controller and the terminal is part of the problem, since the data rate would max out at around 18Gb/sec (4K/60Hz/10bit no compression, which is worst case scenario, and very rare).  This could be transmitted on multiple frequencies to the TV for combination back into the video signal, but why would someone want to do this when a controller could have a data transfer rate of 1kb/sec (128 movements per second at 8 bit resolution).  Plus, for movie watching, data would be going both ways (WiFi in, HDMI out, plus inter-player comm)

The numbers are made up, but I did get the data transfer from https://community.cedia.net/blogs/david-meyer/2018/05/16/hdmi-data-rates-for-4k-hdr and they do seem reasonable.  The controller data rate I just did a SWAG, but it does explain why things are the way they are.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 27
    Add some extra RAM (8 or 16 GB) and a couple of thunderbolt ports and Apple could release a Mac nano based on the Apple TV design starting at around $300 next year. That would be a killer product.
    edited August 2020 spock1234
  • Reply 27 of 27
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,452member
    This is an insane take. What *benefit* would there be to putting the ATV or even storage inside the controller itself, thereby requiring a separate receiver stick at the HDMI port? That makes absolutely zero sense. 
    watto_cobra