Plugable launches affordable USB-C 7-in-1 hub

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2020
Expand your MacBook Air, or MacBook Pro's ports for under $30 with Plugable's new USB-C 7-in-1 hub.

Plugable launches affordable USB-C 7-in-1 hub

While we love our MacBook Pro and MacBook Air Thunderbolt 3 ports, it's clear that users cannot live on Thunderbolt 3 alone -- at least not yet. Keeping track of multiple adapters can be frustrating, but some hubs can be expensive and bulky to take on the go. Housed in a sleek aluminum body, Plugable's USB-C 7-in-1 hub features a variety of useful ports to your portable at an affordable price.

An HDMI port allows you to hook up an HDMI-equipped monitor, television, or projector and achieve resolutions up to 3840x2160 at 30Hz, with a wide range of other resolutions supported. The USB-C 7-in-1 hub also supports pass-through charging via the included USB-C Power Delivery port.

Also included are three USB 3.1 type A ports, which support transfer speeds of up to 5Gpbs, perfect for connecting legacy devices, thumb drives, and external storage media. An SD slot and microSD slot allow for quick transfer of photos and data, and prevents you from searching for that missing card reader when it matters most.

The unit is also compatible with the iPad Pro.

Those interested in snagging a USB-C 7-in-1 hub can head to Amazon, where it retails for $29.99, with a limited time $5 off coupon that can be applied at checkout.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    £31 on Amazon UK.

Performs what most home users need from a dock - provides USB Type A for their keyboards and mice, maybe an external USB drive, and HDMI convertor.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,243member
    All I have to say is ... what a silly name. "Ploozable"? I know, it's an edgy twist on the word "Pluggable".  :D
  • Reply 3 of 15
    And I spent  $75 CAD at the Apple store just for an HDMI adapter...   :s
  • Reply 4 of 15
    scartartscartart Posts: 201member
    loads of these already available on Amazon, all use the same electronics inside and cheaper than this.
    dysamoria
  • Reply 5 of 15
    laytechlaytech Posts: 335member
    I am so surprised these USB hubs only allow 1 monitor e.g. 1 HDMI output. Most users these days have two monitors. Yes, your laptop is the 2nd normally but not in an office environment. 2 HDMI should be the norm these days, in opinion anyway.
    pscooter63
  • Reply 6 of 15
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,418member
    And I spent  $75 CAD at the Apple store just for an HDMI adapter...   :s
    LOL why? You can get 'em for like $15 or less on Amazon.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,418member

laytech said:
    I am so surprised these USB hubs only allow 1 monitor e.g. 1 HDMI output. Most users these days have two monitors. Yes, your laptop is the 2nd normally but not in an office environment. 2 HDMI should be the norm these days, in opinion anyway.
    There are a ton of dual-HDMI USB-C hubs out there. Buy what you need.

https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Converter-Compatible-MacBook-Samsung/dp/B07QKVY23Q/
    redgeminipa
  • Reply 8 of 15
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,303member
    laytech said:
    It doesn't seem to be that common yet, but such things exist if you want. As you mention, I usually use a larger screen with my MBP screen, but lately I've been enjoying just using my 11-inch iPad Pro as the (wireless!) second screen. I might feel differently if I had access to two 4K monitors to make a total of three screens, but I'll reserve that pleasure (or moon tan!) for another day.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    This same product exists in like ten different brandings. Why?
  • Reply 10 of 15
    scartart said:
    loads of these already available on Amazon, all use the same electronics inside and cheaper than this.
    Yeah... I went through 2 of them (one replacement), and both had a severe problem. When connecting an external HDD and HDMI, it would make my MBP drop WiFi. It was different than this, though, the type that has 2 USB-C on them that connect like the Hyper Drive I have now. The no-name from Amazon looked identical to the Hyper Drive, but the Hyper Drive has been flawless in performance and reliability. 

Maybe, just maybe, this might have different enough internals to be reliable. Too bad it seems AI didn't actually put one through its paces. 
  • Reply 11 of 15
    For $25, I might have to grab one, and give it a good run. I love my Hyper Drive, but I'm not crazy about it connecting to both USB-C ports. I'd prefer to get the same functionality out of using just one port, and limiting the stress on them. Also, on the Hyper Drive (and others like it), there are only 2 USB-A ports, and they're rather close together. I can't plug in most flash drives if I have my external HDD plugged in. This appears to have better spacing. 
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    scartart said:
    They don't all use the same electronics. The reasons that these all have the same form factor is the base motherboard is the same. Chipsets, ports, and the like vary, and are selected by the manufacturer.

This the same reason that most Thunderbolt 3 docks have the same form factor. Common motherboard, differing chipsets and electronic components.
    pscooter63redgeminipa
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator

scartart said:
    Yeah... I went through 2 of them (one replacement), and both had a severe problem. When connecting an external HDD and HDMI, it would make my MBP drop WiFi. It was different than this, though, the type that has 2 USB-C on them that connect like the Hyper Drive I have now. The no-name from Amazon looked identical to the Hyper Drive, but the Hyper Drive has been flawless in performance and reliability. 

Maybe, just maybe, this might have different enough internals to be reliable. Too bad it seems AI didn't actually put one through its paces. 
    If we had one pre-release, we would have.
    redgeminipa
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Mine came yesterday. I still have to connect my external HDD and HDMI at the same time to see how it performs. It seems solidly built, and has a nice heft to it. The only thing I've connected so far is the charger, which is working fine. I may get around to trying out the other things later today. 
  • Reply 15 of 15
    I just tested it out. Seems to be working great.