Facebook warns of a 50% hit to advertisers' revenue from iOS 14

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2020
Facebook on Wednesday warned that recent anti-tracking features in iOS 14 could lead to a more than 50% drop in Audience Network revenue for advertisers.

Credit: AppleInsider
Credit: AppleInsider

As part of new privacy features in its upcoming iOS update, Apple has introduced a transparency feature that will explicitly require users to opt in or out of allowing ad tracking within apps. An August report
indicated that Facebook was concerned about the feature, and the fact that many users will refuse ad personalization.

Going forward, Facebook said that it will not collect the identifier from advertisers (IDFA) from its own apps on devices running iOS 14. In a blog post Wednesday, Facebook said that Apple's introduction of the feature has forced its hand.

"This is not a change we want to make, but unfortunately Apple's updates to iOS 14 have forced this decision," Facebook wrote.

The social media giant said that the change may "severely impact" the ability for publishers to monetize through its Audience Network advertising platform. Facebook added that Apple's anti-tracking features may "render Audience Network so ineffective on iOS 14 that it may not make sense to offer it" on the platform in the future.

In its testing, Facebook said that some users running iOS 14 either see no ads delivered through the Audience Network program, or see ads that are less relevant. It said that publishers who use Audience Network should expect lower cost-per-mile (CPM).
"While it's difficult to quantify the impact to publishers and developers at this point with so many unknowns, in testing we've seen more than a 50% drop in Audience Network publisher revenue when personalization was removed from mobile ad install campaigns. In reality, the impact to Audience Network on iOS 14 may be much more, so we are working on short-and long-term strategies to support publishers through these changes."
In the iOS 14 Settings app, there's a new Privacy section toggle that allows users to decide whether they want apps to ask permission to track them across other apps and websites. But even if the feature is toggled off, apps must still acquire consent before tracking users.

The Apple anti-tracking feature has already seen criticism from marketing associations in Europe. Many of those advertising companies, a good percentage of which are backed by Facebook or Google, complained about an uptick in "user refusal."

Facebook contends that the feature will hurt many developers and publishers "at an already difficult time," including small businesses that depend on ads. It added that it stands in support of the community that does rely on advertising revenue. Earlier in August, a report indicated that Facebook was meeting with gaming firms -- a key source of ad income -- to hear their concerns about the anti-tracking feature.

"We remain committed to helping the thousands of developers and publishers that rely on ads from Audience Network, and we're investing time and resources into building monetization products for publishers as well as supporting other platforms outside of iOS 14," Facebook said.

Apple is expected to release iOS 14 sometime in the fall, alongside other major operating system updates like macOS Big Sur and watchOS 7.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    emoelleremoeller Posts: 574member
    Targeted ads are the online version of rob-calls IMHO.    Eliminating them would be my preference.
    twokatmewdoozydozenmacseekerDogpersonronnBeatsmwhitecat52rob53SpamSandwich
  • Reply 2 of 27
    Good news!
    twokatmewagilealtituderonncat52rob53killroyjony0Gabycaladaniantrackeroz
  • Reply 3 of 27
    CPM is "cost per thousand" not "cost per mile".

Blame the French, the M stands for "mille".
    jony0cecil4444caladanianaderutterwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 27
    GOOD!!!!!!
    killroycaladaniantrackerozwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 27
    Only 50%?????
    Come on Apple, you are slipping. It should be 100%.
    Wgkruegerrob53killroymike54watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 27
    Come on AI readers, if we all try hard enough we can collectively shed a single tear for the  loss of Facebook ad revenue
    ronnBeatsDAalsethkillroyjony0montrosemacsmike54trackerozjoerock1234kurai_kage
  • Reply 7 of 27
    GG1GG1 Posts: 483member
    The time is ripe for Apple to have its own version of Facebook with no ads/tracking and no cost. Keep it simple for only social connections and minimal maintenance cost to Apple; no need to escalate features, such as a news feed, etc. Keep it simple and secure (KISS).
    Beatsdewmerob53killroymike54watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 27
    qwerty52qwerty52 Posts: 367member
    Facebook is always and for everything criticizing Apple, but now is suddenly realizing, how dependent it is from that company.
    All parasites like Facebook that benefit from illegal collecting of users data without their permission, should’ve been prohibited to do so.  
    Thanks Apple
    BeatsGG1cat52killroyjony0montrosemacscaladanianmike54kurai_kageStrangeDays
  • Reply 9 of 27
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Another reason to buy iOS devices over Android.
    Beatsrazorpitcat52killroyjony0montrosemacscaladanianaderutterwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 27
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    GG1 said:
    The time is ripe for Apple to have its own version of Facebook with no ads/tracking and no cost. Keep it simple for only social connections and minimal maintenance cost to Apple; no need to escalate features, such as a news feed, etc. Keep it simple and secure (KISS).

Apple just needs a decent social media platform. Doesn't matter what it is.

I think it's ripe to make Apple News social with users on site reporting and getting paid based on "points" given by readers/viewers.
    mike54
  • Reply 11 of 27
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Come on AI readers, if we all try hard enough we can collectively shed a single tear for the  loss of Facebook ad revenue
    I’ll get my teeny-tiny violin. 
    qwerty52GG1killroyjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 27
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    Gee, Facebook may actually have to put forth some brain power to come up with a profit generating mode, other than stealing personal information, then selling it. 

My heart bleeds. 
    edited August 2020 killroymike54watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 27
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    That would be terrific.
    killroywatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 27
    jony0jony0 Posts: 378member
    Rayz2016 said:
    I’ll get my teeny-tiny violin. 
    Here you go :

watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 27
    GabyGaby Posts: 190member
    Lol   😂😂😂😂
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 27
    CPM is "cost per thousand" not "cost per mile".

Blame the French, the M stands for "mille".
    CPM = Cost per thousand *impressions* 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 27
    GabyGaby Posts: 190member
    Any “small business” that “relies on ad revenue” does not have a business to speak of. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 27
    sergiozsergioz Posts: 338member
    Great news! 👍
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 27
    My business relies on targeted advertising.

Please don't abuse me here … I hate a lot of online advertising.
    But on the other hand, I'm not sure what to do post iOS 14.

We sell compact and portable car seats for children so the seat can stay with the child, not the car. This is important as more and more parents choose to 'use' cars, rather than own cars (Uber, Lyft, Zipcar, Turo, etc.)

But we are a small and new startup, there is very little awarenesses of what we offer. In order for us to save the lives of children in cars, we need to advertise to the people who are most likely to be our relevant market. 

Facebook, Instagram and Google allows us to get our messages in front of parents and other caregivers of children aged 4+. 
    What should we do to cost-effectively generate awareness now?
    edited August 2020 mariowincoheadfull0wine
  • Reply 20 of 27
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,022member
    And just wait, Facebook will sue Apple and say that this is unfair business practice and it is taking away from their revenue. 
    watto_cobra