Manhattan Apple Store customers targeted by group of thieves

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2020
A series of robberies have been reported in New York involving Apple products, with a group of criminals targeting customers who are exiting Apple Stores with their purchases.

Apple Fifth Avenue

A total of 15 such thefts have been reported since June 30 in Manhattan, New York, where Apple Store customers have their new hardware taken shortly after buying them. In some instances, it seems the criminals involved are staking out near the Apple outlets, then following customers leaving with store bags.

One incident caught on security cameras at a nail bar shows a thief taking a shopping bag containing a MacBook valued at $2,400, by casually holding open the door and then reaching and taking the bag. Authorities told CBS New York the criminal is thought to have tailed the victim from the Apple Store to the nail salon, with the latter distracting the Apple customer and creating an opportunity.

Police surveillance has uncovered multiple suspects believed to be working together to stake out stores and to steal goods. In another incident's video, a pair of suspects are seen jogging, then sprinting down a road carrying stolen goods.

Some of the suspects believed to be behind the theft spree (via NYPD Crime Stoppers / CBS)Some of the suspects believed to be behind the theft spree via NYPD Crime Stoppers / CBS

An Apple spokesperson advised the company is aware of the robberies, and encourages customers leaving stores to take precautions. This could include being aware of their surroundings, maintaining vigilance in transit, and even disguising the value of their purchases by using different bags.

"Your luxury item or whatever you're buying does not have to be in a bag that's screaming out, hey, I have an expensive item, especially when it's clear," security expert Manny Gomez told the report.

Police are continuing to monitor the outside of stores for the culprits.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    New York used to be decently safe, what happened?
    cat52
  • Reply 2 of 33
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    dipdog3 said:
    Yes, crime in NYC is a brand new thing...
    djames4242Grayeagleflyingdpchiapayecoronnjony0chemengin1
  • Reply 3 of 33
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member

dipdog3 said:
    OMG, this would never happen anywhere else in America. For example nothing ever goes down in the parking lot of a mall, and Amazon packages are never taking off the front porch in a nice neighborhood? 
    flyingdppayecoronn
  • Reply 4 of 33
    dipdog3 said:
    My father lived in Manhattan on East 79th Street. He was mugged four times,  and their home was broken into by thieves. 
  • Reply 5 of 33
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    Common sense, people. Take a backpack and put your purchases in there. Or if the item is large, have the store call you a cab or call an über to pick you up right outside the store. People are simply clueless. 

Don’t know if you can carry mace, but not a bad idea, either. 
    ronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 33
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,095member
    This has always been a pet-peeve of mine since I started buying products at an Apple store.

I bought an iMac a few months ago for my sister and I specifically asked for the shipping carton it came in.  The rep looked a little confused when asked and I simply told him that I don’t want to walk around with a box that screams “steal me”.

I vent this very same issue with them every time I buy something at their store.  I criticize their bright white bags too.

That being said, the consumer needs to be more vigilant.  When I buy a pricey/flashy  Apple product, I make a point to go straight to my car quickly and drive home.   I’m hyper-aware of my surroundings as well.  I actually feel a bit nervous walking like I’m carrying a bagful of money, and I’m a big, intimidating-looking guy too.  

I’ve had friends ask me to accompany them to the store for this exact same reason.  I always look like I’m pissed off, so that comes in handy as a bodyguard. :)

I hope those punks get what they deserve.
    svanstromcat52ronnjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 33
    Never relax
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 33
    payecopayeco Posts: 581member
    dipdog3 said:
    Grand larceny, which is what these crimes would qualify as, is down 20 percent this year.
    ronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 33
    castcorecastcore Posts: 141member
    sflocal said:
    This has always been a pet-peeve of mine since I started buying products at an Apple store.

I bought an iMac a few months ago for my sister and I specifically asked for the shipping carton it came in.  The rep looked a little confused when asked and I simply told him that I don’t want to walk around with a box that screams “steal me”.

I vent this very same issue with them every time I buy something at their store.  I criticize their bright white bags too.

That being said, the consumer needs to be more vigilant.  When I buy a pricey/flashy  Apple product, I make a point to go straight to my car quickly and drive home.   I’m hyper-aware of my surroundings as well.  I actually feel a bit nervous walking like I’m carrying a bagful of money, and I’m a big, intimidating-looking guy too.  

I’ve had friends ask me to accompany them to the store for this exact same reason.  I always look like I’m pissed off, so that comes in handy as a bodyguard. :)

I hope those punks get what they deserve.
    Buy a gun , and if they try to rob you, shoot them in the face 
    cat52
  • Reply 10 of 33

bageljoey said:
    dipdog3 said:
    Much worse since Giuliani was in charge where law and order prevailed 
    cat52
  • Reply 11 of 33
    castcore said:

bageljoey said:
    dipdog3 said:
    I live in New York City. Clearly you do not. Crime overall is at an all time low, still. The categories it’s gone up in this year are murders and shootings. This year they are now at the level they were in 2012, 11 years after Giuliani left office. Giuliani’s last year in office there were 649 murders. In 2012 they were half that. The lowest murder rate since 1945 was in 2018, 5 years after Democrat Bill De Blasio became mayor. Keep watching Fox News and enjoying your “alternate facts” though.
    edited August 2020 jeffharristenthousandthingsstevenozroundaboutnowVermelhoronncharlesatlasjony0
  • Reply 12 of 33
    payeco said:
    castcore said:

bageljoey said:
    dipdog3 said:
    I live in New York City. Clearly you do not. Crime overall is at an all time low, still. The categories it’s gone up in this year are murders and shootings. This year they are now at the level they were in 2012, 11 years after Giuliani left office. Giuliani’s last year in office there were 649 murders. In 2012 they were half that. The lowest murder rate since 1945 was in 2018, 5 years after Democrat Bill De Blasio became mayor. Keep watching Fox News and enjoying your “alternate facts” though.
    Glad you think NY is doing great! Keep it up!  We love more of these videos befor election 
    cat52
  • Reply 13 of 33
    castcore said:
    payeco said:
    castcore said:

bageljoey said:
    dipdog3 said:
    Glad you think NY is doing great! Keep it up!  We love more of these videos befor election 
    Presented with actual facts you don’t even attempt to back up your claims you knew were false to begin with. How typical.
    Wavelan_312roundaboutnowVermelhoronncharlesatlasjony0
  • Reply 14 of 33
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    Grayeagle said:
    dipdog3 said:
    My father lived in Manhattan on East 79th Street. He was mugged four times,  and their home was broken into by thieves. 
    Anyone can make an outrageous  statement without proof. I lived on E 79th street for one year in the early 1980's a time when there was crime in the poorer neighborhoods and I can tell you 79th street was then and still is a posh area. I also lived in the lower east side in the poorest part of Manhattan and I was mugged once, in 1983, lost $5, was not hurt. Stop spreading lies. 
    ronn
  • Reply 15 of 33
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    bageljoey said:
    dipdog3 said:
    Under Giuliani and Bloomberg things were relatively smooth. De Blasio is a psychopath.
  • Reply 16 of 33
    bageljoey said:
    dipdog3 said:
    Under Giuliani and Bloomberg things were relatively smooth. De Blasio is a psychopath.
    De Blasio is an idiot and aloof, terrible mayor for many reasons but you can’t deny that up until a few months ago all crime had continued to decrease. The lowest murder rate on record was 2018, 5 years after Bloomberg left office. All crimes outside of shootings and murders have still continued to decrease. 
    ronnjony0
  • Reply 17 of 33
    ronnronn Posts: 653member
    Recently dropped off an ancient MacBook for recycling at the 5th Avenue store. Was surprised to see not a single cop in the vicinity. Granted, there were few people around and maybe at most a dozen customers in the store. Like other posters, I always hated the white Apple bags that scream "expensive sh#t!" For this very reason I mostly have purchases shipped when someone will be home to received them. And the few times where I picked up smaller items (hard drive, replacement iPod, etc), I always put it in my own bag.

Vigilance and mace go a long, long way.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 33
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Question, why does the Chicago theft discussion thread get shut down but not this one?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 33
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    razorpit said:
    Question, why does the Chicago theft discussion thread get shut down but not this one?
    Because that one required five times the moderation time that this one has.
    ronnrazorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 33
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    razorpit said:
    Because that one required five times the moderation time that this one has.
    Don’t some of the AI staff live in New York? If so, what is their impression of all of the chaos and violence there?
    razorpitwatto_cobra