Russian draft bill would force third-party app stores, cap commissions at 20%

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    Apple could probably buy Russia and end this nonsense.
    randominternetpersoncornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 33

Additionally, the bill would require companies that charge fees on app sales to pay a third of those commissions to a special internet technology training fund every quarter.

How convenient... a cash-grab by the government.... disguised as a "good cause" .... aka "special internet technology training fund".

It's a TAX, plain and simple. Just call it that!
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 33

The 30% cut apple gets from each sale in it’s app store is fair as it is their ecosystem that allows the app’s to sell, their investments which are made at their own risk and their hard work that is paying of.

Similarly when you sell anything in a country, any country, it is that country’s ecosystem that allows you to do so, their investments into society, infrastructure, education etc., their risks that are involved as in any undertaking and the society’s hard work in order to be able to attract the likes of apple as a seller of goods and services. Thus it is similarly fair for apple to pay a set percentage income tax and other taxes which are the same for everyone. We all know this not to be the case as apple etc find ways to pay way less and certainly not in the country where their income originated from.

The difference is ideological. Many countries are democratic (see EU and US) and allow discourse on what should be a fair amount apple should pay or where they should pay it. Apple on the other hand has no such sensitivities and allows for no room to haggle as apple itself so often does especially when large sums of money are involved.

This is by design and as it should be. However we should have a clear view of what is what and the fact that it is up to governments to be similarly fair to apple as it is being to its partners.

In regards to your article yes it is a matter of security for apple not to allow third party app store and it goes without saying that a country cannot force percentages and profit margins on any company unless it is on basic goods and for humanitarian reasons which most definitely is not the case here.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 33
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,034member

Russia’s per capita income was just under $25,000 in 2017, the most recent data available, according to the World Bank.
    I thought that seemed very high. Actually the GDP per Capita was just under $11,600 for 2019 and I was surprised it was that high. It was around $10,700 for 2017. 

Your figure is probably the purchasing power parity number which is useful for understanding how people can live (prices for food etc. are generally lower so the standard of living would be like $25k in the US) but it’s misleading when it comes to the price of things like iPhones that cost the same or more than in other countries (duties and taxes). OTOH, Some companies will sell goods very cheap in developing countries to build market share but not Apple. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 33
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    The writing is on the wall: tech mega caps should relinquish some power and profits.

Let’s hope that also these big companies are taxed on the places they make their profits (and at a rate bigger of what I pay for my work, just saying) and that BEPS is also banned or at least limited.
    Relinquish them to who? Governments?

You think Russia, Europe, US, governments are more qualified to run a business than the people that created it?

Rewrite tax laws so they are fare. EVERYONE pays something. Bet you suddenly a lot more people would start caring how government wastes spends money.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 33
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Additionally, the bill would require companies that charge fees on app sales to pay a third of those commissions to special internet technology training fund every quarter.

Well, training all those hackers to interfere in foreign elections and referendums can’t be cheap. 
    edited September 2020 randominternetpersonmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 33
    ITGUYINSD said:
    Apple could cap to a 20% commission, but add other fees. Apple’s costs don’t drop just because political meddlers tell them to drop them.
    LOL!  I don't think Apple is just squeezing by on the current 30%.  Seems every quarter, Apple is making record BILLIONS in profits on their services.

Literally, everything Apple does is high-profit.
    as a stockholder, I applaud that.

As a consumer, I also applaud the extent that Apple goes through to ensure that the applications have limitations on them.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 33
    I wonder which $ figure is greater: the total App Store sales in Russia or the in-app purchases from Fortnite.  Apple is willing to play hardball with Epic; I expect they will also play hardball with Russia.  They will at least consider dropping the Russia App Store if it would set a bad precedent (which it would).
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 33
    So how is this defined? Is it that all phones have to enable multiple app stores? What about phones that don’t have any app stores and no capability for apps? Does this apply to an Apple Watch that has cellular phone capability? Is a wifi only ipad exempt? This is all nonsense, and Apple should just stop selling in Russia and Russians will import iPhones instead. If I’m honest I can see this draft bill going nowhere.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 33
    ITGUYINSD said:
    Apple could cap to a 20% commission, but add other fees. Apple’s costs don’t drop just because political meddlers tell them to drop them.
    LOL!  I don't think Apple is just squeezing by on the current 30%.  Seems every quarter, Apple is making record BILLIONS in profits on their services.

Literally, everything Apple does is high-profit.
    If you "price what the market will bear", as a basic principle, Apple seems to be doing the right thing, and 30% is fair. If you're envious of Apple's profits, how about YOU creating your own company and see how much better your ideas work out!!
    SpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 33

If Russians were really not OK with him they’d overthrow their government.
    Yeah, just like the citizens of Belarus.
    Remember the “Arab Spring”?
    I do. Those countries are now worse off.
  • Reply 32 of 33
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

If Russians were really not OK with him they’d overthrow their government.
    Yeah, just like the citizens of Belarus.
    Remember the “Arab Spring”?
    Heard of the "Arab Winter"? The idea that opressed people are responsible for their own situation because they didn't rise up in revolt is utterly moronic.
  • Reply 33 of 33
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,322member
    So they allow a 3rd App Store limited to running in a Safari sandbox that allows webassembly 
    and cut off free apps from the Mai store 
    done and done. 

Funny how the people pushing these things aren’t known for well consumer friendly behavior.

watto_cobra