Leaker insists 'Apple Watch Series 6,' iPad Air to debut Tuesday

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited September 2020
Prolific leaker Jon Prosser in a tweet on Monday said his sources are adamant that Apple will announce next-generation Apple Watch and iPad Air models on Tuesday.

Apple Watch Series 5

Reasserting rumors first aired in August, Prosser today said Apple will break with tradition and unveil new Apple Watch products via press release. The company typically announces new versions of the wearable, and other secondary product lines, alongside iPhone at a blowout fall event.

Prosser's initial report was challenged over the weekend when Bloomberg's Mark Gurman in a tweet said he expects an Apple press release this week to set a date for this year's virtual iPhone event, not unveil new hardware. The prediction set the stage for a showdown of sorts between the two leakers.

Despite Gurman's take, Prosser in an eleventh hour tweet said his sources "are not budging" on the supposed Tuesday release.

"Okay, guys. Last tweet of the night. My sources are not budging or changing their mind. They're still telling me that Apple Watch and iPad Air are coming tomorrow via press release. See you all in the morning to find out!" Prosser said.

Lending credence to Prosser's forecast is a gradual decrease in Apple Watch Series 5 stock. Many versions and strap combinations are currently out of stock on the online Apple Store in China, Japan, the U.S., and the UK.

When it does launch, "Apple Watch Series 6" is rumored to boast an improved wireless communications stack, new blood oxygen monitoring capabilities and other enhancements. A new, cheaper model made from plastic is anticipated to replace the aging Series 3 that anchors Apple's lineup.

As for a next-generation iPad Air, regulatory documents filed with the Eurasian Economic Commission suggest seven new iPad models are set to debut in the near future. More recently, a supposedly leaked "iPad Air 4" user manual detailed a tablet that removes the home button and relocates Touch ID to the power switch.

Prosser in previous tweets said Apple's announcement -- whatever it may be -- is tentatively scheduled to drop tomorrow at around 9 a.m. Eastern, in line with the company's usual press release schedule.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    That would be nice!
  • Reply 2 of 26
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    Good. New watches also mean new bands. I really want a new sport loop, but those two toned color schemes are ugly as f*. Someone must like them otherwise they wouldn’t keep them around, but for the love of God, please bring back solid colors. 
    razorpit
  • Reply 3 of 26
    They really really need to make the watch thinner 

I hate it’s bulk

fingers crossed 
    Beats
  • Reply 4 of 26
    Longer battery life please. Faster processor please.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 26
    I guess if we’re all picking new stuff.

1) 720p camera size of a pin hole. For the full dick Tracy operation
    2) software which works on iPad also.
    3) Encrusted diamond model. So I can have a model that all the peasants don’t have.
    4) teleportation with a time travelling plus and minus up to one hour
    5) Siri brain plants. We might need Elon Musk here.
    6) batter recharge from body heat. So half the size
    7) real and I mean not bullshit crystal glass.
    8) upgrade from old to new with a loyalty discount for us annual spendings who show low to Apple and are treated like prize cun..

watto_cobraDAalsethanantksundaramgilly33spheric
  • Reply 6 of 26
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    I find it hard to believe Apple would make a cheaper plastic model, unless it is in very bright pastel colours that just won’t do with the dinner suit.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 26
    Apple needs to reopen their stores before introducing new products -- particularly something as personally customizable as their Apple Watch.

My own store is, I would say, about 1/3 open.    Most of the staff are stationed outside of the store and blocking entrance to the store.   If you want to buy something, they run into the store and bring it out to you.   If you need a repair they tell you to come back in a week.  And, the they say that "browsing" is not permitted.   There were people in the store, but it is unclear what the password is in order to gain entrance.

My friend would like to look at new watches to see if she can find one that she finds attractive (she's currently using her son's old black aluminum one).   But, how is she to do that if she isn't allowed into the store?   I very much respect Apple's concern to keep people safe from the pandemic, but this seems to be going a little too far.   Other places in the area (schools, restaurants, gyms, etc.) are opening up, but the Apple Store is still mostly closed.

For myself, black aluminum with the standard band is just fine.  And, if I upgrade from my series 4 I'll do so based on the tech specs of the series 6 -- so I can stand outside of the store and have them bring one out to me.   But that's not how most people shop.   And, its not how I prefer to shop either -- like I'm buying a watch from street walk shyster selling them from his suit case.
    Beats
  • Reply 8 of 26
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    entropys said:
    I find it hard to believe Apple would make a cheaper plastic model, unless it is in very bright pastel colours that just won’t do with the dinner suit.
    Not that hard to imagine. They’ve done it before. While they mad some poor decisions in color choices and functionality, it managed to do ok in the marketplace.
    lolliver
  • Reply 9 of 26
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    Apple needs to reopen their stores before introducing new products -- particularly something as personally customizable as their Apple Watch.

So you don't want Apple to release anything until next summer? Because best case that's how long it would be before they are all open. More likely sometime in 2022.

entropys said:
    Agreed, OTOH I liked my blue 5C. I'd get and proudly wear a pastel AW. Orange Sherbet, Green Lagoon, Leisure Suit Blue. If the price is right I'm game for any of them.
    edited September 2020 Beats
  • Reply 10 of 26
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    “Leaker insists ‘Apple Watch Series 6,’ iPad Air to debut Tuesday.” Anyone else find the title of the article odd? It gives me the impression of someone stamping their feet, saying “no, I’m right, MY leak is the right one!” Either the products will come out today or not. If they do, everyone will know you’re right, if not you’re wrong. Either way what’s the point? Leaks are little more than rumors and everyone knows they’re wrong at least half the time.

Why? I’d venture the majority of Apple products are sold outside of an Apple Store. Around here, Target, Best Buy, Walmart, Sams Club and Costco all sell Apple products, not to mention all the cell phone stores, and many people, especially returning customers are quite happy to order online.
    edited September 2020
  • Reply 11 of 26
    MplsP said:
    “Leaker insists ‘Apple Watch Series 6,’ iPad Air to debut Tuesday.” Anyone else find the title of the article odd? It gives me the impression of someone stamping their feet, saying “no, I’m right, MY leak is the right one!” Either the products will come out today or not. If they do, everyone will know you’re right, if not you’re wrong. Either way what’s the point? Leaks are little more than rumors and everyone knows they’re wrong at least half the time.

Why? I’d venture the majority of Apple products are sold outside of an Apple Store. Around here, Target, Best Buy, Walmart, Sams Club and Costco all sell Apple products, not to mention all the cell phone stores, and many people, especially returning customers are quite happy to order online.
    I'm sure you're right.  Even for watches that do benefit from seeing all the options up close, I bet no more than 5% of buyers saw one at an Apple Store first.
  • Reply 12 of 26
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    DAalseth said:

So you don't want Apple to release anything until next summer? Because best case that's how long it would be before they are all open. More likely sometime in 2022.

LOL....
    So, you deleted most of what I said and then argued against me as if I had never said it?   That's kinda weak.   The rest of what i said was:
    "My own store is, I would say, about 1/3 open.    Most of the staff are stationed outside of the store and blocking entrance to the store.   If you want to buy something, they run into the store and bring it out to you.   If you need a repair they tell you to come back in a week.  And,  they say that "browsing" is not permitted.   There were people in the store, but it is unclear what the password is in order to gain entrance.

My friend would like to look at new watches to see if she can find one that she finds attractive (she's currently using her son's old black aluminum one).   But, how is she to do that if she isn't allowed into the store?   I very much respect Apple's concern to keep people safe from the pandemic, but this seems to be going a little too far.   Other places in the area (schools, restaurants, gyms, etc.) are opening up, but the Apple Store is still mostly closed."

In other words, at least in my neck of the woods, other stores, restaurants and (hopefully) even schools are opening up safely.   But, at least this Apple Store is almost entirely shut down and should, it seems to me, to be able to serve its customers much better while doing so safely and according to guidelines.    Standing in line outside simply to tell a clerk exactly what you want so they can bring it out to you is not the purpose of an Apple Store.   Neither is a week's wait to get service.   Even Apple's own online service techs are complaining about it!

So, how are they going to do a proper product roll out without their stores?   Essentially everything will have to be done online -- or the equivalent (standing outside the store waiting for a clerk to take your order and deliver the product).

I think Apple needs to take a look at this.  I think they can do better and do so safely.

• Reply 13 of 26
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member

Yeh, you're right.... Apple may as well just close all of its stores.   We can all just go to Walmart....    There's no difference.....   Parts is parts and a store's a store.  /s

Beats
  • Reply 14 of 26
    This bold prediction did not age well. Prosser need to stop sourcing his hot leaks from the back of Phil’s Coffee, he is getting played.  
    MplsPrandominternetpersonBeatschasm
  • Reply 15 of 26
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Well Prosser just blew his credibility...

Looks like I was correct about there being a Press Release today, just not about what was in it.”
    https://mobile.twitter.com/jon_prosser
    MplsPrandominternetpersonJapheySpamSandwich
  • Reply 16 of 26
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member

Yeh, you're right.... Apple may as well just close all of its stores.   We can all just go to Walmart....    There's no difference.....   Parts is parts and a store's a store.  /s

true to form you still can't make an argument...
    muthuk_vanalingamJaphey
  • Reply 17 of 26
    hentaiboy said:

”Looks like I was correct about there being a Press Release today, just not about what was in it.”
    I can make that sort of prediction:  Company X will issue a press release next Monday!  Take that to the bank.

Personally, I was skeptical.  When has Apple ever rolled out a major product with interesting new features via a press release?  Only spec bumps get that treatment.
    edited September 2020 lolliver
  • Reply 18 of 26
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    hentaiboy said:

”Looks like I was correct about there being a Press Release today, just not about what was in it.”
    That and his source was probably just outed and fired.  :D
    lolliver
  • Reply 19 of 26
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    It was dumb to think Apple wouldn't announce it at a keynote. Watch is getting bigger every year. I wonder if it will ever outsell iPhone for a year or even a quarter?

MplsP said:

true to form you still can't make an argument...

I thought it was a good argument. I mean why does Apple even have Stores if no one cares and would rather go to Target?
  • Reply 20 of 26
    hentaiboy said:

LOL. I’m not upset about a leaker being wrong now and then.