Apple's 'Apple Watch Series 6' and iPad 'Time Flies' event will be on September 15

Posted:
in iPhone edited April 22

Apple has revealed it will be holding its annual special event on September 15, with the "Apple Watch Series 6," a new iPad model, and the long-awaited "AirTags" expected -- but maybe not the "iPhone 12."

"Time Flies"

Confirmed via a press release on Tuesday, Apple will be holding its special event in the near future, on September 15, at 10 A.M. Pacific time.. The event will likely be similar to its WWDC keynote in that it will be virtual, rather than an on-stage event with a large live audience.

The event is a continuation of Apple's tradition of revealing the next-generation iPhone models in September, with units available to consumers at a later time. While it will take place at the Steve Jobs Theater, a building within the Apple Park campus, it is unclear if the presentation will be streamed live, or will be a pre-filmed and edited video.

AppleInsider will be covering the event live, providing full analysis during and after the event, and will include details of all of Apple's product launches.

What to expect at the event

The event is likely to debut a new iPad model, either taking the form of a 10.8-inch iPad or an "iPad Air 4." Equipped with slimmer bezels and a larger display, the new model is thought to borrow the design elements of the iPad Pro range for its casing, as well as losing the front-mounted Home button with Touch ID in favor of either Touch ID on the power button or Face ID support.

Continuing where the iPad Pro range left off, there is also some speculation Apple will ditch the Lightning port in favor of a USB-C connection.

A concept image for Apple's 'AirTags'
A concept image for Apple's 'AirTags'

The "Apple Watch Series 6" is believed to include a new casing option in the form of plastic, which could potentially be a new entry-level version that could be usable by children in a touted "Kid Mode." An often-suggested feature of blood oxygenation monitoring may make an appearance, while enhancements may help embolden the enhanced sleep tracking features in watchOS 7.

Lastly, the often-rumored "AirTags" could finally see the light of day at the event. Intended as a tracking accessory similar to Tile, the "AirTags" would be attachable to non-electronic items, and would be trackable via the Find My app.

Key to "AirTags" is its use of both Ultra Wideband and Bluetooth, which could enable an augmented reality-style view within the app to track down the tag's real-world position. Furthermore, UWB could also allow for the tags to be tracked down further afield, by taking advantage of passing iPhones that could report back pings from the "AirTag" and the position the iPhone was when it received the signal.

The new "iPhone 12" generation is expected soon, but may not make an appearance at the event. When announced, the iPhone 12 will most likely consist of four models across two tiers. The "iPhone 12" and "iPhone 12 Max" are thought to have 5.4-inch and 6.1-inch OLED displays, while the "iPhone 12 Pro" and "iPhone 12 Pro Max" are anticipated to have 6.1-inch and 6.7-inch screens respectively.

The Pro models are believed to offer a few differences compared to the non-Pro units, as usual, including 10-bit color depth support and 120Hz ProMotion for the displays. While the "iPhone 12" pair will have two 12-megapixel cameras covering wide-angle and ultra-wide-angle views, Pro versions will have an extra 12-megapixel telefoto camera and take advantage of the iPad Pro's LiDAR sensor for rear depth mapping.

Physical mock-ups of three 'iPhone 12' models
Physical mock-ups of three 'iPhone 12' models

Rumors have also pointed to a 4K-resolution version of Slo-mo at 120fps and 240fps, an "Enhanced Night Mode" for the cameras, and the use of a seven-element plastic lens instead of six-element versions.

Using an improved A14 system-on-chip, believed to have been made using a 5-nanometer or 6-nanometer process, the key change for 2020 is likely to be the inclusion of 5G connectivity. Using Qualcomm-supplied components, Apple is thought to offer some level of 5G support across the line, but there is some debate as to whether this will include the faster mmWave support for all models.

Update: 12:28 P.M. Eastern Time Multiple venues, citing "sources familiar with the matter," are reporting that the "iPhone 12" will be announced at a later date.

Read on AppleInsider

ronnwatto_cobra

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    So Jon Prosser was wrong about the Apple watches today. A shame.
    lkruppDAalseth
  • Reply 2 of 25
    The day isn’t over yet.
    lkrupp
  • Reply 3 of 25
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    This is earlier than expected. Really, the announcement, at least, is just barely one week later than usual, and hopefully, that will mean that all these guys predicting five or six weeks as a delay are wrong.
    StrangeDaysentropysmariowincowatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 4 of 25
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    I hope the iPad upgrade is to the iPad gen 7...   That A10 processor is beginning to show its age.   And, Apple needs a consumer priced product to get school kids going in the Apple environment.
    muthuk_vanalingamlkrupp
  • Reply 5 of 25
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    saarek said:
    So Jon Prosser was wrong about the Apple watches today. A shame.
    Prosser: “Looks like I was correct about there being a Press Release today, just not about what was in it”.

#RumourFail
    StrangeDaysSpamSandwich
  • Reply 7 of 25
    While it will take place at the Steve Jobs Theater, a building within the Apple Park campus, it is unclear if the presentation will be streamed live, or will be a pre-filmed and edited video.

Not that it particularly matters to us the viewers, but I'll be surprised if any part of it is live.  Why take that risk when there is no in-person audience?  The WWDC presentation was very well done and very professional.
    ronnStrangeDayswatto_cobraMisterKitJinTech
  • Reply 8 of 25
    I hope the iPad upgrade is to the iPad gen 7...   That A10 processor is beginning to show its age.   And, Apple needs a consumer priced product to get school kids going in the Apple environment.

My guess would be that - it is iPad air 4. Reason - Apple doesn't usually introduce a "new" design or screen size in any of the budget models (Budget iPad or iPhone SE). They take a old device (same device or next price tier launched 2-3 years ago), replace the old SoC/RAM with newer combination and call it a day, without making ANY other changes to Display/Size/Battery/Camera etc. I am not complaining that it is a bad strategy, a pretty good one imho. It is a best practice. I wish Android OEMs copy this strategy instead of wasting money on trying out 100 different things at the wall to see which one sticks.
    jony0GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 9 of 25
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,126member
    melgross said:
    This is earlier than expected. Really, the announcement, at least, is just barely one week later than usual, and hopefully, that will mean that all these guys predicting five or six weeks as a delay are wrong.
    Apple said 2 weeks delay at the financial results announcement last month. That still means October to have stock in hand and probably 5-6 weeks for Apple's partners.
    mariowincowatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 25
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member

20/20

Apple Glasses

No mention of these?

Why is everyone sure iPhone 12 won't be announced if nothing is confirmed?
    Nevermind: https://appleinsider.com/articles/20/09/08/apple-watch-series-6-on-apple-event-stream-youtube-keywords-iphone-12-missing
    edited September 2020
  • Reply 11 of 25
    I am even more surprised that there is no mention of the HomePod mini. With a lot of people staying at home and quarantining due to Covid, now would be the perfect time to get folks used to using the HomePod instead of Alexa or the Google home. Those of us with iPads and phones and watches who want to stay in the Apple ecosphere would probably be buying a lot of those during quarantine.
    Beatswatto_cobramuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 12 of 25
    I think it's obvious to everyone and Apple that the Series 6 is coming on Sept 15, after all, the Apple Event is named after it, so they were not afraid to put that in the tags. However there's no reason to give away more than that, so any mention of other products like AirTags doesn't need to be in the HTML tags. I wasn't expecting to see so many names of Macs in the HTML tags, so maybe there will be some Mac updates on that day too.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 25
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    I am even more surprised that there is no mention of the HomePod mini. With a lot of people staying at home and quarantining due to Covid, now would be the perfect time to get folks used to using the HomePod instead of Alexa or the Google home. Those of us with iPads and phones and watches who want to stay in the Apple ecosphere would probably be buying a lot of those during quarantine.

We might get 2 fully loaded events until the end of the year. Apple Silicon Macs are coming with hopefully new HomePods and Apple TVs.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 25
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,372member
    Why is there no speculation about a new Apple TV? I seem to recall some buzz earlier in the spring about a refresh on the Apple TV. With all the distance learning still going on it seems like the ATV would find a bigger role to play in distance learning scenarios. 

I've always been a big fan of the iPad, and I love my Apple Watch Series 5, but Apple is absolutely kicking ass with both of those product lines with piddling competition while the Apple TV is kind of just sitting at the curb quietly idling, waiting for a big infusion of updates and excitement, at least on the hardware side. The Apple TV has kind of returned to its former "hobby" status. Why?
    edited September 2020 watto_cobraGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 15 of 25
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    "Time Flies" ... Time of Flight sensor?
    jony0radarthekatwatto_cobraGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 16 of 25
    The image in the invite looks like someone in a sitting position, one knee up, head bowed a little.

Yoga!? WTH... surely that can't be all of the new Watch tease...
    tobian
  • Reply 17 of 25
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    I replaced a broken iPhone 7Plus on Aug. 28 with an iPhone 11 Pro 256 GB. It is less than two weeks old. What can I do? 
    watto_cobraGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 18 of 25
    tzeshan said:
    I replaced a broken iPhone 7Plus on Aug. 28 with an iPhone 11 Pro 256 GB. It is less than two weeks old. What can I do? 
    You have 15 days to return it for any reason.
    watto_cobraGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 19 of 25

The image in the invite looks like someone in a sitting position, one knee up, head bowed a little.

Yoga!? WTH... surely that can't be all of the new Watch tease...
    If you unfocus your eyes it's clearly a dolphin and a rainbow.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 25
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    tzeshan said:
    You have 15 days to return it for any reason.
    But by Sept 15, 15 days is over. Can I return it twice?