Facebook accuses Apple of anticompetitive behavior in EU antitrust filing

Posted:
in General Discussion
Facebook is joining other high profile companies accusing Apple of antitrust behavior in the EU, and is claiming that Apple uses its App Store and array of operating systems to gain an unfair advantage over its competitors.

Facebook fires back against Apple for anticompetitive behavior in EU filing

On Tuesday, Facebook submitted a formal complaint against Apple to the European Union regarding the Digital Service Act. The act is a proposed law that would curb the power of major corporations like Amazon, Apple, Facebook, and Google.

The document, provided by the EU's competition watchdog, asks businesses if they have been subjected to anticompetitive behavior on large online platforms.

Facebook took the opportunity to highlight its grievances with Apple. The complaints were lodged in two areas: Facebook Gaming and Apple's upcoming plan to require a user's consent before a company could place ad trackers on their device.

Facebook alleges that the Facebook Gaming app has been "affected by unfair contractual terms and unfair practices imposed by Apple with respect to the App Store and on iOS more broadly."

Facebook Gaming was rolled out to iOS users in August after restructuring the app to comply with the App Store terms and conditions. Facebook was required to remove gameplay functionality as Apple does not allow third-party gaming platforms.

The same rule has prevented Microsoft and Google from bringing cloud-based gaming through xCloud and Google Stadia.

While true, other companies have found workarounds. GameClub, a primary competitor of Apple Arcade, offers an all-you-can-play subscription that costs $4.99 a month. Each game is individually hosted on the App Store, which complies with Apple's on-device gaming requirements.

Still, Facebook alleges that Apple is practicing anticompetitive behavior, alleging that, "It is well known that mobile games are the most lucrative category of mobile apps worldwide. A significant portion of Apple's mobile OS revenue comes from purchases of games distributed directly through the App Store, and purchases made from within those games."

"[By] prohibiting other developers from offering apps that enable consumers to access games not directly distributed through the App Store, Apple is ensuring that consumers on iOS can primarily purchase games and related services only from Apple, and not from other developers."

The second complaint did not specifically name Apple, but likely referenced an upcoming iOS 14 feature that would prevent developers from placing advertising trackers on a user's iPhone or iPad without a user's explicit consent.

Announced as a privacy feature, Apple's forthcoming iOS 14 will require users to choose whether or not to allow ad tracking. Facebook reportedly expects many users to refuse it and has grown concerned with potential revenue loss.

"We are particularly concerned about policy changes that may affect developers' ability to offer services that compete with the platform's own services," Facebook wrote in the filing. "For example, large operating system/app store platforms increasingly are imposing tight restrictions around developers' access to data and to combine data collected across different apps and websites."

Facebook claims that such actions could harm ad-supported online services. Furthermore, they are unsure whether or not a company like Apple would subject themselves to the same constraints or use the restrictions to give themselves a leg up on competitors.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    Yeah I bet everyone has such sympathy for you and Facebook, Zuckerburg. He's so completely unaware of how unpopular he and Facebook are, and how FB is quite likely to be on the receiving end of antitrust suits. What a moron.
    ronnAnilu_777d_2muthuk_vanalingamMisterKit80s_Apple_Guyjahbladegeorgie01pulseimagesBeats
  • Reply 2 of 37
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    Probably hurting their own case by complaining to the EU about a privacy protection feature. They're the ones who instituted all the new rules regarding cookies.
    qwerty52CuJoYYCronnd_2mark fearingpscooter63muthuk_vanalingamjahbladepulseimagesBeats
  • Reply 3 of 37
    Eat **** and ***, Mark Zuckerberg.
    d_2larryjwpulseimagesBeatsDogpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 37
    Wait.... how come I can use shadow.tech for cloud gaming to stream PC games to my Mac and iPad?

These whingers are liars that need to work within the rules of the platform they want to target and stop trying to make rules for platforms they don’t own.

https://shadow.tech

Anilu_777Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 37
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    Just showing the love between friends... 😏
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 37
    mike1 said:
    Probably hurting their own case by complaining to the EU about a privacy protection feature. They're the ones who instituted all the new rules regarding cookies.

Yes, he is crazy. Zuckerberg is asking EU to help FB, with collecting the privacy data of the users.
    It is precisely what the EU is fighting hardly against.
    He is really in panic and doesn’t know what he is doing.
    muthuk_vanalingamMisterKitelijahgjahbladewatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 37
    Facebook and Zuckerbirg are self-centred hypocrites who want all our data for themselves. I have a big 🖕🏼 for them both. I plan on gleefully hitting that NO button when it releases. Stick it in your ear Facebook!
    d_2jahbladeDogpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 37
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Sorry FB, you don’t have a right to my personal information. 
    d_2pscooter63jahbladeDogpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 37
    How does Apple really compete with FB? It does not have a 'Social Network'.
    Oh wait... Facetime and that's about it.
    FB wants all your data and Apple says No!
    Get lost Zuck. Never been on FB, never wanted to and never will.
    d_2pscooter63rob53Dogpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 37
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    I wonder what has led Facebook into taking on Apple on multiple fronts? It wasn't all that many years ago that Facebook was deeply integrated into your iPhone (was it iOS6?). Apple and Facebook were besties. Things have certainly done a major turn this year, and Facebook is being loud and vehement for whatever reason. Does anyone know why? 
    JWSC
  • Reply 11 of 37
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,095member
    It's amazing how Facebook is triggered by a company that has such a small percentage (units) of the global mobile and computer market.

Oh wait... it's because Apple has loyal customers that are actually willing to spend money?

a$$hole.
    StrangeDaysmark fearingpscooter63MisterKituraharajahbladeDogpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 37
    Facebook doesn't have a problem with gaming app stores -- it simply wants to *be* the gaming app store. It won't allow game devs to publish on the Facebook gaming app store without forcing those developers to comply with their app store's policies and rules...just as Apple won't allow devs to do the same on its App Store.

The little fish is attempting to become a bigger fish. As Gruber mused about Epic, It's not David & Goliath, it's Young-Goliath and Goliath.
    edited September 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 37
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    gatorguy said:
    I wonder what has led Facebook into taking on Apple on multiple fronts? It wasn't all that many years ago that Facebook was deeply integrated into your iPhone (was it iOS6?). Apple and Facebook were besties. Things have certainly done a major turn this year, and Facebook is being loud and vehement for whatever reason. Does anyone know why? 
    Pretty sure the relationship began going downhill when FB began more aggressive stealing of user data, which was very much the antithesis of Apple. That was probably the initial trigger for removal of FB integration. Then Apple’s crackdown on tracking in Safari and elsewhere is another nail in the coffin of FB’s tracking ad-based revenue stream. There is little doubt Zuckerberg is very pissed about that, otherwise he wouldn’t have been so complacent to the data mining in the first place. 
    jahbladeronnDogpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 37
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    How does Apple really compete with FB? It does not have a 'Social Network'.
    Oh wait... Facetime and that's about it.
    FB wants all your data and Apple says No!
    Get lost Zuck. Never been on FB, never wanted to and never will.
    I don't see Facetime as a social network. All it does is allow two to 32 people visually talk to each other. No Website access, no saving of personal information, no likes or thumbs up, just seeing each other and talking. Facetime doesn't have a logon account that's usable on tons of websites. I think your initial statement was correct. No need for "Oh wait" correction.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 37
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member

gatorguy said:
    Throw enough s*** on the wall and it will stick somewhere.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 37
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    rob53 said:

gatorguy said:
    But why now?
  • Reply 17 of 37
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    So wait... Apple wants to restrict 3rd party platforms on their hardware? That's just ludicrous! /s

Sorry, but there is no anti-competitive behavior here. Platforms compete with OTHER PLATFORMS. Forcing Apple to allow 3rd party gaming platforms on iOS is akin to forcing Apple to allow people to install Android on iOS devices.

These companies that want expand on their "services" by blatantly going against something they previously agreed to and had no problem with, is disingenuous. These companies need to find other avenues to get their wares to the public. iOS is only one way to do that, if Apple is forced into this then that means ALL platforms will have to open up. You can't single out a company unless there's a reason to... monopoly. You can't write a law that says "APPLE" must do this. It has to apply to all similar businesses in the market.

It would be hysterical if whatever happens comes back and bites Facebook in the ass... When they're forced to open their platform to 3rd party advertising networks and not allowed to collect a percentage of that revenue.
    edited September 2020 StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 37
    Mark is an idiot. He's been too rich and too powerful for far too long. He's lost any sense of humility or rational buy being surrounded by yes men (and women). The idea that Facebook... FACEBOOK! could have anything to say about anticompetitive behavior is hysterical. My side hurts just thinking about it. I'd be more than happy to admit and have a rational conversation about whether or not apple is too big or too powerful but just on the bounds of morality Facebook has nothing to stand on. Facebook is the ignorant, spoiled rich teenager to Apples... I don't know soft spoke, even keeled, meditation guru? Facebook needs to through that man out and replace him with someone human. Someone with a sole and who knows how to take responsibility for their mistakes. Down with multi share classifications! 
    georgie01dewmeDogpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 37
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Mark Zukersberg has gone insane. This is how USA based companies will fight with each other and destroy each other against united Chinese companies with Chinese Government backing. No different than Democrat vs Republican against single entity PRC(people republic of China). USA, enjoy your destruction.
    edited September 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 37
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,370member
    gatorguy said:
    rob53 said:

gatorguy said:
    But why now?
    It's in the air. Facebook is merely piling on with all the other losers who are trying to use the court of public opinion, and seemingly sympathetic government agencies, to obscure their own ineptitude, inability to compete, and lack of investment in procuring an infrastructure that allows them to control their own destiny. They all purposely decided to be a tail on the dog to make a quick buck on the back end of the dog. Now they have come to realize that they can't wag the whole dog, so they are looking to government regulators to wag the dog for them.

The day that a court or government agency forces Apple (or Google or Amazon) to relinquish control over what they have planted, nurtured, and grown to such successful heights will be a sad day for true innovators and entrepreneurs. Apple's App Store will effectively become a regulated public service utility to be administered by bureaucrats and paid for by taxpayers. Perhaps this is an unavoidable and inevitable process in the path of technical evolution, much like what happened with the power grid, communication airwaves, public roads, and other essential utilities. 

The ironic thing with Facebook here is that eventually someone is going to ask the question: "So Mr Zuckerberg, who exactly are the competitors in your market that make you a member of the non-monopolistic club?" I can't think of anyone who comes close to competing with Facebook, or should I say, anyone that they have not already bought out. If or when the anti-monopoly wolves that Facebook has called on to attack Apple come slinking around I think they will find that Facebook is one massively plump and juicy fatted calf ripe for their picking. Be careful what you ask for, Zucky cow, you may be the main course.
    watto_cobra